Spartacus’s 52s (continued) Week 52 Texture

A pair of excellent shots Marcus, but you know... I'm drawn to the first one... I've no clue what it is, it looks like everything is OOF, but... it just works so well :clap: Well done for sticking with it over the past 30 weeks... it's all downhill from here... (at least till Simon pulls the next hellish theme out of the bag :D)

I'm going to agree with the majority. Both are great shots for very different reasons, wouldn't know how to decided between them!

Well Marcus, another swot with 2 shots this week :D

And what crackers they are. I can understand why you can't choose between them because they are both fantastic in their own way. But my love of abstract pictures has me voting for number 1.

Like Jean says, 2 lots of :clap::clap::clap: from me too.

And I'm glad you have stayed with us, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd miss you if you weren't around ;)

hehe easy gave me a laugh icecream at a wedding :D

Color has to be the first for me i love abstract colour :clap:

Didn’t manage to find much time this week, so have just put in a shot I took yesterday at Buckfast Abbey. It’s a short drive from Plymouth and was an outing for my parents to have a spot of lunch and a chat along with my sister and brother in-law.

The weather was lovely for once as it’s been a bit grim for the holiday makers in this part of the world just lately.

Food is such a large subject and as we can put our own interpretation on the theme I decided to make it from the bee’s point of view...work all day filling the larder and someone else get most of the benefit...sound like most families...:p

The poor old bees have been on the receiving end of the poor weather and a serious problem with a virus that’s killing off thousands...:thinking:

So not a great photo, but one a feel fits in with the theme and reminds us that we really do need these little and often over looked friends of us all...:clap:

Foodforthehives.jpg

Hope to find a bit more time for the next subject...that I’ve not look at yet...:(

I like this, but I feel it's lacking? I couldn't see the Wasps at first, I keep thinking that maybe this'd look better if the plant was pink....Which I know you obviously can't control, though!!
But not bad - perhaps even a closer crop in on one of the wasps?

I'm really liking the flowerheads. There's a nice contrast between the buds that are just opening and those that are still fully closed and I love the way that the individual stalks all converge at the centre of the flower like spokes on a wheel.

I think there's actually a couple of species of hoverfly there rather than wasps or bees - but they're lovely and sharp and a good take on the theme.

The only bit I'm not so keen on is the background. The line between the brick path and the grass is a bit distracting - it would have been nice to get an angle where all that was behind the flowers was grass.
In fact, I'd really like to see this on a black background, but that would take far more patience in PP than I would ever have :D

works for me, but i'd be inclined to boost it a little
J

Thanks for the replies, but you don’t have to be too kind as I know it’s a poor shot. But I had nothing else so in it went...:shrug:

Hoover flies? I’m no expert and you may be right but the Buckfast Abbey is famous for it’s for its Bees and hives. So I just put two and two together and called them bees which if your right makes my food shot ever more rubbish...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

This could well be a subject for a re-shoot...(y)

There's something missing from the shot to make it stand out, but you know that already so I won't comment on what I think is wrong!

On the upside I love your interpretation of the theme. (y)

Now, now Marcus, it's not a rubbish shot

Remember me and JG? :bat::bat::bat:

Yes it could be better, you know that, but I've had to put a that'll have to do shot in too sometimes rather than fall behind.

My constructive criticism would be that the shot is too busy (no pun intended ;))

A single flower head with a uniform background and the hover flies feeding would have made this a great shot.

You wanna watch out Marcus... Jill is on the warpath this week :LOL: I like what you've got, but feel Jill has hit the "Ball with the Baseball bat" with this one... a little too busy.

How the hell have I missed 3 weeks of comments Marcus - my apologies :(

Easy: How brilliant - what a great natural portrait that is ! Bloody well done :)

Colour: Ay ay ay - both wonderful - and I'm not pikcing a winner cos I like 'em both equally - a wonderful abstract and a colourful sharp well framed 'food' shot ;)

Food: Yet more insects and its a fine shot, great dof - the path adds to the composition and the subject tales a little looking for and ist well placed

Some great shots! :D

Well the more I looked at last week’s effort the more I need to pull my socks up for this week...:shake:

It was very poor effort on my part so sorry for not putting in more effort...

But that about to change this week...

Today (Sunday) we had a fun day on the Plymouth Hoe. With vintage buses, fairground rides and a bus pull...

I’m being a bit naughty this week and entering 3 shots as they all show this week’s theme Exposed...

And all in different ways...

Please don’t feel you have to comment on all or any of them, I just glad to have something the share with you that I’m happy with...

This is the only full size shot and definitely fits in with the theme, a lovely old open top Double Decker and you can’t get much more Exposed than that...

buscroppedwithboarder5.jpg

Exposed to danger...

Now this shot is in purely because I love all the faces and expressions that are going on with the lovely back drop of passage ferry to France/Spain...
16-08-2009Exposed012boarder.jpg

Almost Exposed to the public...

Only for fun this one and shows one of the bus pulls...the poor guy put in so much effort he nearly lost is pants...

16-08-2009Exposed009buspull2.jpg

Thanks for looking and don’t feel you need to comment on all of them...

Wow! You're spoiling us! I love all 3, but out of them I love the first 2 most.

The first obviously fits the theme best, and I think it's the best photo out of all of them. Even thought the clouds has caused the sky to be overexposed it just makes it fit into the theme even more :D

I love the second one for the same reason you do. So much of interest dragging your eye from the focus. The woman patting the dog, the boy looks terrified of the fight, and the smiley faces on the right. Brought a smile to my face!

The third is also a good photo but a bit too busy for me to be honest.

But a big (y) to the first 2 shots! :clap:

Hi Marcus, the third made me laugh, the second would have fitted the theme fine too but the first is the shot for me. I like the angle and its a good subject, exposed to the elements.

I found this week tough and you get three images mate, well done.

I missed your food shot, which i really like tbh :D

re Exposed 3 shots wow not sure i have a fave they all fit the theme well imo (y)

Number 1 for me Marcus, a great shot of an open topped bus!

I'm jumping on he bandwagon for No.1 too - great shot! (y)
I really like the angle and the sense of perspective leading your eye to the top of the bus. Good fit for the theme too.

No.3 did make me laugh and there are some fab expressions in No.2. If I'd seen these on their own I would have thought they were both good shots for this week - they just don't quite hit it as well as No.1.

P.S. I'm glad that you got something that you're happy with this week, but I think you're being far too harsh about your food shot. With the background sorted out it really had some great potential IMO.

You need to listen to us girls Marcus :D

But what a cracking week for you this time.

1st shot is my favourite, there's just something about it that beats the other two. :clap::clap::clap:

And glad your enthusiasm is back (y)

Exposed #1 for me too. Similar thinking to me, but completely different take. I like it! :)

It’s been another interesting week for me...:thinking:

but I did manage to get out with the camera and visit some of our lovely beauty spots, so don’t ask me why I ended up with the most gloomy picture of them all...:thinking:

But as its Mono you can’t beat the great detail and contrast you get from the local graveyard...:LOL:

I’m sure I’m not the only one to think of the cemetery but then as long as it fits the theme and you like it who cares...:razz:

So here you have it my photo for this week Ford Park Cemetery here in Plymouth...

FordParkCemetery.jpg

Its a bit creepy in places and its a place I really wouldn't like to visit after dark...:LOL:

:clap: Very creepy and atmospheric.
Great image for a mono conversion!

I love the way that the light is highlighting the right hand side of the church and the silhouette of the tree stands out really well against it.
The haphazard, crooked headstones add some great atmosphere too.

Strangely a graveyard never occurred to me for this week's theme - and I'm glad that it didn't. There's no way that I could have come close to this.

Excellent photo. The only cricism I have is I would have positioned the church more central and the tree more on the right third of the photo. Apart from that, the atmosphere and PP is excellent. I like this a lot! (y)

Sorry I didn't manage to comment on your trio of Exposeds last week, but catching up now.

Exposed 1: I love this - I like the angle and the feeling of 'it's holiday time' it evokes. I'm intrigued by the destination, though - "Sea Front Circular" sounds a bit of a contradiction. :)

Exposed 2: There's a lot to look at here (and I don't mean it's too cluttered) and it makes for a very interesting scene. (y)

Exposed 3: A fun picture which captures the atmosphere of the day. I bet they headed stright for that 'Refreshments' sign afterwards - or the nearest pub. :LOL:

Mono: A great atmospheric shot - the composition is strong and the b&w conversion works really well. It does look a bit creepy! Great take on the theme and I like it lots. :)

Jean

catch up again , sorry. Think the open bus shot fits the theme perfectly

I think mono is an excellent take. :clap::clap:

I really like the composition you have gone for, the tree really should be in the way but for some reason it works for me (y)

I'm yet another one in favour of this shot. It's perfect in a creepy sort of way :eek: and after seeing it in mono I certainly wouldn't want to be there at night either.

Great conversion and spot on for the theme as well.

Oh, and I love it :love:

Sorry missed this one. As others have already said, a great conversion which which fits the theme really well.

Well I was tempted to do a salt & pepper theme and broke my own rules by looking at some other 52s...blimey so glad I looked now because some of these are absolutely brilliant...:clap:

So I’ve put in just a standard (Summer Season) photograph...:cool:

The area of "Bigbury" is divided into Burgh Island, Bigbury on Sea.

Burgh Island is often referred to as "part-time island" because as the tide recedes it leaves a causeway of golden sand - when the tide is in a sea-tractor operates.

The first building that greets visitors is the "Pilchard Inn" - dates from the 14th century when a monastic community lived on the island.

To the left is the famous art-deco hotel which has been visited by many famous people such as Noel Coward, Edward & Mrs Simpson", Agatha Christie, The Beatles, and reputedly Churchill and Eisenhower.

The island is approximately 250 metres from the mainland and is approachable on foot at low tide. At high tide, the sea tractor, which is operated by the hotel, transports pedestrians back and forth. The original vehicle was constructed in 1930; the current, third generation tractor dates from 1969.

The vehicle drives across the beach with its wheels underwater on the sandy bottom while its driver and passengers sit on a platform high above. Power from a Fordson tractor engine is relayed to the wheels via hydraulic motors.

That’s a bit of history for you now the shot...:D

BurghIsland.jpg

Hope we get a better subject soon as this one left me without any inspiration at all...:(

Can't believe I missed your mono, sorry! I really like it, suits Mono definatley, and is a great, moody shot!

Season - Love this, shouts season more than anything, the colours are bright, love the wide angle (y) (y)
Amazing place by the looks, LOVE the island in the middle, such a focal point and so very pretty!

Well for a week lacking inspiration you've pulled another great shot out of the bag.

I enjoyed reading about the history of the place, the idea of the sea tractor absolutely intrigues me :D
And I like this shot. It's got almost a postcard feel to it. Definitely shouts Summer, nice bright colours and a beautiful blue in the sky.

All I want to know now is how you persuaded the sun to come out. There's been nothing but rain here this week (again!)

Mono: Ohh spooky and unusual graveyard! The headstones almost look like thet are walking up the hill towards the chapel - like the composition!

Season: Great take! Lively colourful and everything a seaside shot should be! Loads to look at and thats a great feature!

Those two shots are soo opposite :)

I agree with evrything that's been said about this. It's summer, seaside, fabulous location, people enjoying themselves, excellent composition, perfectly exposed, and the sun's shining - you've probably guessed by now that I just love it. :love:

It's a really happy, cheerful photo to put a smile on anyone's face. :)

Jean

Missed your mono shot Marcus, very good, moody and the vignette works well.

Love the Season, Kenny is spot on, postcard is the perfect description. Interesting background to the pic too. You must be proud of this one.

Superb work on both shots Marcus (y)

Great season shot Marcus, you've captured the seaside really well. Nothing says summer like a trip to the beach!:clap:

Back