Speeding.....

Some useful info here:-

http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/11056

Nothing to stop you asking your traffic police dept. if you could be eligible.

Thanks that is very interesting.... I will send the form back ASAP and hope for the best.

I am more embarrassed to be honest, I had said earlier to my wife "What speed is this road" and a few seconds later we saw the 40mph signs and I actually speeded up as I was doing 30mph and I did not want to hold the flow of traffic up. I just did not see the 30mph signs later as they were next to the traffic lights.

The advert served up on the page made me laugh, sorry ;).

image.jpg

The course is quite informative, it makes you aware of such things as how to work out speed lmits in areas where there are no signs based on the spacing of lamp posts or if posts are on one side or both sides of the road

I had exactly the same thing happen to me - didn't even notice the camera van :(

There were around 20 of us in the room at the course an everyone had almost exactly the same story.

What I would say to the OP (and in no way do mean this to sound patronising) is that if you've been driving for over 26 years nd you do the course I'll be amazed ifyou don;t find it both interesting and educational. I learned heaps - some stuff I'd known and forgotten, and some things I don't think I ever really knew (definition of a dual-carriageway, for example).
From the description of the scenario given, it sounds like a prime location for a "safety" camera to be used (not defending this, just saying). I live close to busy road that runs into Cardiff city centre. There's a fixed speed (sorry, safety) camera just past the large entrance area to a cemetary. The local plod regularly site a mobile camera there as well - less than 100 yards from the fixed camera. Work that out!!!
Agree totally, reminded me of a few things I'd "forgotten"!!!

I did an awareness course last year (81mph on a motorway), and what amazed me was the poor level of knowledge with most of the drivers on the course. Most thought the NSL was 50 on a single carriageway and 60 on a dual (but non motorway).

As has been said above, non 30 mph zones have repeaters, so if you can't see any speed limit signs then it's a 30.

I have a speed awareness course 11th April got caught doing 40 in a 30 just after sign and was breaking...... 2 days later caught again on a country road national speed limit sign but it was a 50...... I was doing 59 so have paid for course and had to pay a 100 quid fine and take 3 points! First offence normally allow for course and no points

I was recently caught doing 35 in a 30. As being prosecuted for such a speed is totally ridiculous, I am now generally speeding more - to get my money's worth from the fine.

I haven't read the whole thread but this info might be of some help?....

Speeding%20Margins.png

I haven't read the whole thread but this info might be of some help?....

Speeding%20Margins.png

Great so I am 1mph over for the course.... Tell you maybe those idiots who drive through our village sometimes at about 80mph have the right idea... Why did I stick to the limits all those years

I use a Road Angel which is continually updated by GPS so I don't get caught out.

However, I always stick to the speed limits for 20/30/40 mph regardless of cameras being present and use my common sense for the rest.

I just don't speed full stop

Have never gone over the speed limit and never will

I recently attended a speed awareness course the criteria if I remember correctly was no other speeding convictions in 4 years and for the speed not to have exceeded the speed limit by more than 10% plus 10mph i.e. in a 30 zone 30+3+10=43.

Man up, pay the fine and take the points,
tell them you were fully aware of your speed and don't need a speed awareness course.

I can supply anti photographic number plates, working radar detectors and laser blinders, all completely legal to use as long as they are not designed to stop an officer doing his duty. :)

I use my gps which has pretty much all speed limits loaded an constantly reminds me one I'm 2mph above limit.

If that anti photographic number plate means it can't be read by ANPR then you WILL get a ticket. Youv'e tampered with the plate and its not as supplied and if the ANPR can't pick it up then you are stopping an officer doing his duty.

OP. You should be offered the course 35-42mph is the criteria

Great so I am 1mph over for the course.... Tell you maybe those idiots who drive through our village sometimes at about 80mph have the right idea... Why did I stick to the limits all those years

Ah, the big issue with this is that catching your boy racers would require plod actually doing something rather than relying on the camera :jawdrop:

Thanks I will wait and see.....

So annoyed as I NEVER speed no matter what cameras are around etc. I just could not cope with speeding and killing some kid. I honestly thought it was a 40 limit as it was an unfamiliar road and it did say 40 earlier but then suddenly changed to 30 with a speed camera

That's what happens when you replace policemen with machines. A policeman would have followed you for a bit, and realised that despite going a bit fast, you're a safe, responsible driver, and probably just advised you to pay more attention to road signs in the future. A machine can't do that.
I just don't speed full stop

Have never gone over the speed limit and never will

I find that incredibly hard to believe. Maybe you intended to say "Have never INTENTIONALLY gone over the speed limit and never will"?

Last edited:
That's what happens when you replace policemen with machines. A policeman would have followed you for a bit, and realised that despite going a bit fast, you're a safe, responsible driver, and probably just advised you to pay more attention to road signs in the future. A machine can't do that.

....That's right. I much prefer actual policemen who can use their intelligence and discretion rather than machines. Have been followed and stopped by unmarked police cars on several occasions and all for speeds over 90 mph (but crucially under 100 mph) in 60 mph limits. On one occasion I was followed for about 10 miles which included going through a 30 mph zone at under 30 from sign to sign and a number of overtakes but I have had training by a Police Instructor and very consciously adhere to what I have been taught - That can't help but translate into recognisable on-road body-language. On each occasion I was told that my driving was fine but I should watch my speed and they didn't want to see me again! On one occasion I was told I had a well looked after and very nice car and obviously knew what I was doing!

I use a GPS speedo with large digital numerical display centrally mounted on top of the dashboard under the windscreen so it's always in my line of sight. Car manufacturer's speedos are inaccurate and allowed to be 10% out legally - Possibly why the allowable 10% rule exists.

With power comes responsibility, so stay very focussed (I never even play the radio etc) and enjoy your driving!

Car manufacturer's speedos are inaccurate and allowed to be 10% out legally - Possibly why the allowable 10% rule exists.

IIRC, they're allowed to be 10% out on the safe side but not at all on the other side, so if your speedo says 70, chances are you'll be doing closer to 65 and shouldn't be doing over 70. Worth checking against a GPS to see exactly what your speedo says at the common limits. If you enjoy pushing your luck, see what you'll probably get away with according to the ACPO guidelines quoted above.

IIRC, they're allowed to be 10% out on the safe side but not at all on the other side, so if your speedo says 70, chances are you'll be doing closer to 65 and shouldn't be doing over 70. Worth checking against a GPS to see exactly what your speedo says at the common limits. If you enjoy pushing your luck, see what you'll probably get away with according to the ACPO guidelines quoted above.
Mine is doing 64mph when speedo registers 70, according to GPS.I think most cars are similar, glad to be proven wrong though.

I don't know where you got your info from, but it's wrong (and been to the ECHR), taking your advice will lead to 6 points and a much bigger fine, not forgetting that with a s172 conviction insurance will get extremely expensive,

Not so far it hasn't.
It is a direct breach of the EHA as you have the right to silence.
The worst that happens is they insist you fill it in

Great wise advice there.... Thanks for that

no worries but i am guessing you haven't got any point on your licence or have you?
if so i would lose more money taking a day of work than the whole affair is worth.
3 points are not going to make any difference on your insurance and are you really going to adapt your driving either way?

I can supply anti photographic number plates, working radar detectors and laser blinders, all completely legal to use as long as they are not designed to stop an officer doing his duty. :)

@John Young, you know you don't havecto supply that information?
'I am unable to supply you with the information you have requested becasuse I believe in contravenes section 6 of the European human rights act 19??. I f you do insist on this information being supplied I require you to record the fact that the information was acquired under duress'

This is shocking advice and I'm speaking from someone who spent over two years back and forth with my local scamership in court.

The law states that “Number plates should show your vehicle registration number correctly. You can’t rearrange letters or numbers, or alter them so that they’re hard to read.”

This includes any form of device, spray or plate that makes the numberplate difficult to read. Despite what the sellers claim, they are easy to spot and the coppers have great fun stopping drivers with these. Maximum fine is £1000, though your more likely to get 3 points and £60 fine on the spot.

Last edited:
Thanks I will wait and see.....

So annoyed as I NEVER speed no matter what cameras are around etc. I just could not cope with speeding and killing some kid. I honestly thought it was a 40 limit as it was an unfamiliar road and it did say 40 earlier but then suddenly changed to 30 with a speed camera

Yup they like to do that, I was done for 34 in a 30 when the limit changed I travelled on a road everyday, just swapped the same small round sign fo rone that said 30 rather than 40. I had a speed awareness course and went fully prepared with statistics, details of cases etc. Quite fun.

Pepipoo: Be aware that all Scamerships have full membership and do match details with cases in their area. It helps them to be prepared if you go to court, so never put many details in.

Last edited:
Not so far it hasn't.

I'm sorry but you are talking out of your arse here, it sounds as though you are getting your info from Freeman Of The Land ... better known in police circles as f***wit On the Loose.
You have a right to slience if arrested. as he hasnt been arrested that is irrelevant here.

all that will result from refusing to identify the driver of the vehicle is that they'll send the fine/points to the registered keeper (which is the OP anyway so he'll achieve nothing other than p***ing them off). oh and by the way anti photographic number plates and laser blinders are illegal in the uk - radar detectors are legal so long as they are passive , not jammers

I read an article a few years back that stated, When a new vehicle leaves the factory it must read 30mph @30mph. At any other speed they are allowed to over read by upto 10%. This is to take into consideration tyre pressure differences and tread etc.

The revenue raising part of it is a separate aspect and is irrelevant to the speeding part. If you are caught speeding by a camera you have absolutely no defence.

A friend of mine was complaining about being caught by a speed camera last week and stating how it wasn't fair. I countered with "I was caught shoplifting in Tesco yesterday. There was a store detective watching me. That's not fair".

About 1000 deaths per year are attributed to speeding so it's no surprise that speeding is seen as a serious offence. No other offence (at least in this country) kills so many people so it makes sense to me.

I think John has the right attitude. It happened, it's his fault, he feels bad about it and wants to mitigate the effect it will have on him then get on with his life rather than moan about any perceived unfairness.

Steve.

Very easy to attribute all these deaths to speeding but in actual fact in how many of these was speed the main contributory factor?

In my experience the largest contributor to road deaths is poor driving. Granted, poor driving and speeding is likely to produce a worse result but the main issue is people not driving properly.

The use of speed cameras to indiscriminanlty produce fines is dumbing down the whole issue. Yes if you are caught speeding well you have to hold your hands up, but someone driving at 70mph in a NSL area who is concentrating on what they are doing, driving a well maintained car and not under the influence of drink, drugs, or texting as they go are much less likely to cause multiple fatalities than one of the former who is driving at 50mph.

Speed cameras are a total waste of time when it comes to road safety. Just my opinion of course and I'm sure many skewed statistics can be brought forward to show either point of view.

Yup they like to do that, I was done for 34 in a 30 when the limit changed I travelled on a road everyday, just swapped the same small round sign fo rone that said 30 rather than 40. I had a speed awareness course and went fully prepared with statistics, details of cases etc. Quite fun.

Pepipoo: Be aware that all Scamerships have full membership and do match details with cases in their area. It helps them to be prepared if you go to court, so never put many details in.

This happened around our area too. However as you didn't go past a sign that said you could speed up it was a fair cop.

I've been on a few speed awareness courses now. Not because i fly around like a mad man but because since passing my driving license 22 years ago I've driven between 60k-120k miles per year and sometimes get it wrong.

My most annoying one was delivering to an industrial estate in a 40 limit leaving the other side, driving past a broken down HGV near a junction and joining the road further up that had turned into a 30 limit. Further mitigated by the damn tomtom not knowing the correct limit. As I had passed a 30 limit sign (albeit behind the HGV) turned onto a road that had lamp posts I should have realised that the limit had changed. But at 23:30hrs who checks everything.

Very easy to attribute all these deaths to speeding but in actual fact in how many of these was speed the main contributory factor?

In my experience the largest contributor to road deaths is poor driving. Granted, poor driving and speeding is likely to produce a worse result but the main issue is people not driving properly.

The use of speed cameras to indiscriminanlty produce fines is dumbing down the whole issue. Yes if you are caught speeding well you have to hold your hands up, but someone driving at 70mph in a NSL area who is concentrating on what they are doing, driving a well maintained car and not under the influence of drink, drugs, or texting as they go are much less likely to cause multiple fatalities than one of the former who is driving at 50mph.

Speed cameras are a total waste of time when it comes to road safety. Just my opinion of course and I'm sure many skewed statistics can be brought forward to show either point of view.

Nothing wrong with speeding. Its inappropriate speed that is dangerous.

Don't get me started on speed cameras.
Forward facing speed camera's let every speeding motorbike off scot free. Surely thats discrimination
Gatso's wont trip if a large Van over GMW2500kg goes speeding through a 60limit at 62mph when they should be doing 50mph. But would defo flash if I went through at 72mph in my car. AAARRRGHHH

no worries but i am guessing you haven't got any point on your licence or have you?
if so i would lose more money taking a day of work than the whole affair is worth.
3 points are not going to make any difference on your insurance and are you really going to adapt your driving either way?

No never had any points or anything since passing my test in 1989

Not so far it hasn't.

You have to fill it in.

That old chestnut of "I have the right to remain silent" "sending £61 cheques off" and "unsigned cheques" to get round it are long gone.

I agree there should be a no comment option or right to remain silent. There is also the "innocent until proven guilty" principle and I cannot see how a snap shot of the car speeding, unless you have photographic evidence of the driver in the car proves anything other than a car registered to that person was speeding at x location at y time. It doesn't mean they were driving and people have a right to remain silent in order to prevent them incriminating themselves.

Forcing someone to fill in that box is a breach of the principles of the law.

But drivers aren't treated as people, they are treated like cash machines.

But hey, thats life.

I agree there should be a no comment option or right to remain silent. There is also the "innocent until proven guilty" principle and I cannot see how a snap shot of the car speeding, unless you have photographic evidence of the driver in the car proves anything other than a car registered to that person was speeding at x location at y time. .

Except that remaining silent doesnt avoid incriminating yourself in this instance, because if the driver isnt identified the penalty will be appliedto the keeper. So if you (the keeper) were driving it makes no odds whether you say so or not the penalty will be the same... all the "who was driving" letter does is give you the option of saying "it wasnt me, i lent the car to my mate bob", so theres nothing to be gained from no comment unless bob is such a good mate you are inclined to take the points for him. (which is illegal)

also the forward facing speed cameras are designed to get a picture of the driver anyway, so the point is often moot

Back