Speedlite

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of buying a speedlite for use with a canon 450d. I have looked at the yongnuo brand as an alternative to the canon equivalent(580). Can anyone advise whether the cheaper option is a worthy alternative for a keen amateur or would if be better to hang off and spend the money on the canon version?

Thanks in advance.

The drawback of the yongnuo is you have to shoot in manual. Also look at Nissin and sigma flashes as these can be used in E-TTL mode. Be wary though as not all can be used as an off camera E-TTL flash.

I was in the same position but with nikon and was suggested to save and get a nikon flash. I bought a second SB800.

If you use live view a lot, the following from Canon maybe important to you.

cpn.canon-europe.com technical said:
If you use the Live View function of EOS DSLRs regularly, and want to make use of it with flash, you need to be using a Canon Speedlite EX flashgun. Although third party flashguns can be used for normal shooting with flash, in Live View mode third party flashguns will not be fired when an image is taken. With a Canon Speedlite the flash will fire in Live View, allowing you to achieve accurate flash exposures and make use of the benefits of Live View shooting.

Save up and buy a Canon you should be able to pick up a used 430EX for around £100.
That will give you ETTL and High speed sync and will act as a slave to the bigger flashes.
If you can run to it the 580 EX or EX2 is even better as it will act as a master flash.

Chris

Just looking at the 320...I assume that does not act as a master ? I have a 420 and am looking to buy an additional flash...shold I go for a 580 ?

Sorry to hijack this thread !

Only the 580EX or 550EX or an ST-E2 will act as a master.

Well the MR-14EX and MT-24EX will too, but they are macro speedlights and VERY expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back