Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a panorama of Venice, which I was to split into multiple canvases to mount on the wall.

I have managed to export the panorama to three landscape images to do a trial print on A4 and they look okay. I want to try and do the same thing but have the middle panel portrait orientation and the end panels landscape. Try as I might I can't find a way to do it in lightroom or photoshop so that the images are in the same proportion and match up.

I am sure there is a way to do it using image size or canvas size in photoshop but I am stuggling to think what it is. Basically, the issue is that the end panels are ending compressing the whole height of the panorama into the short edge of the A4 whereas the middle panel is ending up with the height of the image the full length of the long edge.

Does anyone have any ideas?

[

Do you want them all to be the same height?

Presuming you do want all three to be the same height then divide your panoramic image into five sections. Panel one will have two sections in landscape mode, panel two will have one (the middle) section in portrait mode and the last panel will have two sections in landscape mode.

If you want to try it using your A4 paper, panels one and three will be A4 landscape and panel two (centre) will be A5 portrait.

Last edited:
No, I want the panels the same size, just the orientation of the middle one portrait.

No, I want the panels the same size, just the orientation of the middle one portrait.

You're going to have to crop the two end panels then, if this is what you want can tell you how to do it but you will lose 1/4 off the top and 1/4 off the bottom of the two end images

Yes, that's what I mean. Two landscapes either side of a portrait, but with the top and bottom cropped off so it all lines up

I do not think you can do it as a direct output.
But you could do it in photoshop by creating an image in proportion to 804 mm long by 297 high... then creating three images from it the middle one 210 x 297 high and each side one 297 wide by 297 high cropped to 210 high and then printing them out.

As long as the image can be in the proportion 804/297 it is doable.

It would probably be better to work in Pixels as measurements for the actual images, It is only a question of doing the maths.

With boxed canvasses you need to be a little cleverer to allow for the side fold.

Corrected my maths.. can't add up any more.....

Last edited:
I can see what you are trying to do. But I would suggest the best way is to create the three canvas from three copies of the same image. I think u are trying to reverse the panoramic process.

I do not think you can do it as a direct output.
But you could do it in photoshop by creating an image in proportion to 704 mm long by 297 high... then creating three images from it the middle one 210 x 297 high and each side one 297 wide by 297 high cropped to 210 high and then printing them out.

As long as the image can be in the proportion 704/297 it is doable.
That's what I'd do, except the ratio should be 804:297. The two end images are 297x297 and then cropped to 297x210; the middle image is 210x297.

(297+210+297=804.)

More generally, if you don't need/want each panel to be the same proportions as A4:

Suppose each panel is going to be A x B pixels where A is the long side. The final image is going to be 2A+B wide and A high. The two end images will be AXA and then cropped to A wide x B high; the middle image will be B wide x A high.

The canvases will be 80x60, so presumably I can just apply the same formula with those numbers?

Back