Spring by the River

fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
Rather than start loads of threads,I`ll post some pics in one thread.None of my pics are brilliant and I don`t reckon to be an ace wildlife or landscape tog,however, I thought i`d post a thread of some private land that I have access to and try to do it justice with some images.

Spring is here and the wildlife is beginning to show more readily,I shall try and keep this thread updated throughtout the year,hopefully showing the successes and failures of new life.

As stated,I ain`t no expert,but please feel free to offer C&C whenever you want,if they are all crap then please say so.But remember that these are all in the wild,no bird stations,feeders,baiting,just what I see during the day.I have nothing against feeders etc etc,nothing at all,I just hope to show stuff as I see it.

There have been some pretty crap occurences over the last few weeks,something that I cannot go into at the moment as the evidence is not there,but I am working hard on that. Sufice it to say that everything is very nervous at the moment,please don`t ask,I can`t say just yet.

So here goes,episode one.....:)

This is the view downstream from where I usually loiter around,I shall get better ones as things progress,the trees are still relatively bare,so very little colour.We have approx 8 miles of the main river and loads of tributaries to go at.

river1.jpg

Now under this old ash tree, I found these prints..........:D...Well chuffed

Wrenland1.jpg

prints1.jpg

Whilst having a brew sat next an old Alder tree,this fella came out of the same area.They are quick as blazes and I was lucky in that the sun was shining,yes it was..:LOL:, from behind me,so it was quite well lit.

wren2.jpg

wren1.jpg

Then I heard a disticntive noise from above.

woody1.jpg

Quick wander further and spotted these as well.

prints2.jpg

These two are mating and probably nesting nearby,the young were about last year,hopefully again this year.Gooseanders are very wary and difficult to get near.Sometime you have to wait for thing s to come to you.As the trees have more leaves,I shall be able to hide better and get better shots I hope.

mrandmrsgoo.jpg

malegoo.jpg

This is the kingfishers favourite perch, well it was last years I figured after months of watching them,did it land today?....No chance......Patience required.

KFperch1.jpg

Again, the deer are very tetchy at the moment, i was pleased to see one for a change.

Deer.jpg

The clearing will be full of wild Iris soon,starting already.

iris1.jpg

Thus fine fella was strutting his stuff.

pheas1.jpg

And lastly my crappy attempt at being arty.....:shake:

dead1.jpg

Interesting old Ash!;)
Enjoyed the rest as well.

I think it is an Ash Charlie,trees ain`t my strongest subject..........:LOL:

Thanks Jean, I shall try to keep up it updated.Seemed a good idea to post it,well to me anyway.Hopefully things shall improve with better light and more youngsters about..........(y)

I think it is an Ash Charlie,trees ain`t my strongest subject..........:LOL:

It is indeed! It is interesting though because you may well find something interesting has set up home under there.
Have a look round & keep your eye out for any tufts of grass that may be greener than the rest. Also have a look to see if there is a "back door" on the landward side.
If there is then I suggest you set up a hide a bit away & watch closely. You may well find you get some very interesting shots. Important thing is not to leave to much scent around, as you will know.;)

Lovely idea fro a thread Ade. Like your opening shots and look forward to seing more as the seasons progress.

No 5 is an excellent wren shot.

Thanks for sharing.

That was my thoughts as well Charlie,but,and I really hope your right and i`m wrong,I think not.I know where they used to live, but the holt was disturbed badly some weeks ago.I keep an eye out for tracks and for the animals themselves, there are tracks,but not sure where they are living at the moment.

Todays offerings,better shots of the gooseanders,well i think so.I am well pleased with the female in particular.

mgoo1.jpg

fgoo1.jpg

And here is one of the daily entertainer.

gw1.jpg

Some views from the riverbank.

river2.jpg

river1-1.jpg

And a couple of trees for Charlie,don`t know what they are,if you could enlighten me please mate?....

tree2.jpg

tree1.jpg

I`ll leave the river in peace for a while now,time to go and see what is happening elsewhere.But those pesky kingfishers attract me like a magnet.

Last edited:
Like the way you caught the female Gooseander.
That is a very nice stretch of water you have there.
Be aware though that your hairy aquatic beastie can have a holt well away from the water.
Now those two trees.
Not 100% but the first judging by the bark on the thing is a Hornbeam. If it is it is the biggest one I have ever come across. The second looks like an Oak from where I am sitting.
Tell the forester its about time he thinned the larch behind too!

Forester/woodman is a thing of the past now mate.The old woods are left to thier own devices pretty much,people are only interested in the game woods and are making a complete hash of them.Which suits me just fine to be honest,I can wander the old woods in peace....:D

Picture of the whole tree,if it helps any Charlie.

tree3.jpg

Last edited:
I was being a bit tongue in cheek when I said that about the forester. This country has always imported timber & although home grown is at its height just now in about 12 years we start to go in a decline of good quality timber trees. Yet estates & the forestry commision continue to neglect their woods. Just plain daft to me!
Anyway rant over!
That has been pollarded at sometime in the distant past. I am still leaning to Hornbeam. I could come & fell it just to make certain though.:D

End of the week,two pairs of woodies were about,they were lifting the moss off the upper branches looking for food I assume,the moss was discarded and landed on me.I spent a good hour just watching these...:)

wood1.jpg

Excuse the OOF foreground,it is a branch.

wood2.jpg

There were four of these flapping about in the distance as well.

Buzz.jpg

We used to have 4 nesting pairs up here.

Not strictly "by the river",but I went to see if the falcons were about on the moors,saw this between the heavy showers.

Arncliffe3res.jpg

Well, I have resigned from my part time role helping with vermin control.There are things happening that I will not be associated with nor be party to. Part of me wants to leave and never set foot on this land again,part of me wants to hang around and catch people doing certain things on camera.The new people do not know the land as I do , I watch them and they don`t see me.Sooner rather than later,they will mess up.

The otters are gone,for good i`m afraid.............:thumbsdown:.....The holt has been dogged,dug out and the bodies buried in the hole.I have no evidence as to who has done it,but i`m pretty sure who it was. I have not seen a buzzard for some while ,we had eight last year.Go figure? The Sika have gone,they are not stupid and if they are consatntly being shot at,then they will bugger off,best of luck to them.Roe? have not seen ones for many a week,probably done what the sika have,again,best of luck to them.

The person I suspect is a bit of a blabbermouth,particularly after a few pints.He gets quite abusive when I won`t tell him where any wildlife is,but so what,the ****** would only go and kill it anyway.............:thumbsdown:

I am not a violent man anymore,but goddamned,these azzholes are annoying me.

Anyways,still not that warm up here,but here are a few things I have spotted recently.........:)

Kes1.jpg

Wren1-1.jpg

Wren2-1.jpg

I don`t know much about flowers,but spotted these and took a pic,anyone know what they are?

flower1.jpg

I know that I have posted this before,but I reckon she deserves a mention in here.

Swans3.jpg

They are all great pics, you are very lucky to have access to wildlife like that. That is awful about the otter though (they are my favourite animal), why do such a thing? Its unecessary. Shoot the guy?!

Fracster. I am really sorry this has happened but have to say I have seen this many times in the past when the new broom takes over. It still goes on & I guess it always will as long as a certain breed of "sportsman" holds the purse strings.
Keep going back to the place though & keep looking. You may yet find hard evidence to nail them with. Even if you dont the fact you are there will annoy them.
We had a rare bird of prey found dead recently on an estate that is pouring money into grouse shooting. The bird had been shot.
I have found gutted rabbits tied to tree branches in the past. They were laced with poison. I could go on & on.

Ade I really enjoyed looking and reading about those shots they are very good they looked fantastic places to be.Really am saddened by the terrlble things that go on but keep on doing what you do.Your shots really show what beautiful countryside we have that some just take for granted.Look forward to seeing more they really inspired me to get out even more

Fracster. I am really sorry this has happened but have to say I have seen this many times in the past when the new broom takes over. It still goes on & I guess it always will as long as a certain breed of "sportsman" holds the purse strings.
Keep going back to the place though & keep looking. You may yet find hard evidence to nail them with. Even if you dont the fact you are there will annoy them.
We had a rare bird of prey found dead recently on an estate that is pouring money into grouse shooting. The bird had been shot.
I have found gutted rabbits tied to tree branches in the past. They were laced with poison. I could go on & on.

Charlie,it sickens and angers me beyong belief. If the otters were as widespread as mink and more ruining the game fish,then fair enough,control them.But I know and you know that that is not the case.It is a pheasant and duck estate,so what harm are the otters doing?

And yes,being the obstinate git I am,I will stick around and I will nail the guy,no matter how long it takes.

Tempting as it is to sort it the old fashioned way,my way.......:bat:..........That is not correct,the relevant authorities have been contacted.

:crying: I have to say that the news of the otters and the others you report has put a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. How can people be so cruel. I can only imagine how you must feel :( If I had been watching such a beautiful place evolve each year, with such a wonderful array of wild animals and birds ... well I would be devastated.

I sincerely hope you nail them hon... keep an eye on those Kingfishers eh? ;)

Edit: Can I just say also, that I think this (below) is one of the best landscapes I've seen you post so far :clap:

Not strictly "by the river",but I went to see if the falcons were about on the moors,saw this between the heavy showers.

Arncliffe3res.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Jo,the kingfishers are still flashing up and down the river.I don`t think the nest places are well known and I keep well away in case people notice where i have been.

But yes,they are still about......(y)

Last edited:
Charlie,it sickens and angers me beyong belief. If the otters were as widespread as mink and more ruining the game fish,then fair enough,control them.But I know and you know that that is not the case.It is a pheasant and duck estate,so what harm are the otters doing?

And yes,being the obstinate git I am,I will stick around and I will nail the guy,no matter how long it takes.

Tempting as it is to sort it the old fashioned way,my way.......:bat:..........That is not correct,the relevant authorities have been contacted.

Good on you for contacting the right people. Remember though after they are finished you can always exact revenge. I would & have done in the past.;)
As to the Otters. Proper fishing folks will tell that it is a poor fishery that canna support an Otter or two. If they care to think about it, the Otter will feed on eels first then they will take what is easiest to catch ie ill or injured fish.

Hope you keep this thread going too as I have fair enjoyed looking at your shots & reading about a place you have real feeling for.

Last edited:
First woodpecker shot is good and the Daily Entertainer shot too.

Greedy beggar....................:LOL:

Bee1.jpg

This is the old Holt,notice how it has been dug down into:

OtterHolt003.jpg

The stone in this one is from a dry stone wall,definately not a river cobble,the nearest stone wall is about 40 metres away,a bit for for an otter to carry one I suppose.It was used to block the escape hole.

OtterHolt006.jpg

B`stards,utter b`stards.

There is a better than average chance that I may be losing access to this land soon,I don`t think i`m on the certain peoples Christmas card list..........;)

Anyway,new life......(y)

Treebud.jpg

And finally.

As often happens,one door closes and another opens.A different estate a few miles away, contacted me after hearing about the shameful exploits elsewhere,they thought they had something about and would I like to come and take some photographs for them,certainly....(y)

So I went and the owner of this estate,a very large woodland and parkland one,he allows no shooting,no fishing,no hunting and no killing of any wildlife, we sat down and had a chat and he gave me full rights to roam on his land.I have seen more wildlife in two afternoons than I have in two months on the other place.

Charlie,whaddya reckon mate......(y)

Newholt.jpg

I still go on the other place mainly to keep an eye on things and hopefully get more solid evidence,and of course because certain people loathe the fact that I have access .:),I think we have enough though to make sure that the new person is relieved of his post.......and then his big toes.

B`stards,utter b`stards......................

Anyway,new life......(y).............................

There are some cryptic messages in there which I fully understand, as you know Ade
I am really pleased for you (y)

Thanks Chris, this could cost me a fair wodge of money,I used to sell a lot of prints on the shoot days, but I couldn`t let things go on as they have been recently.I gave it a lot of thought and I could only justify one course of action to myself,nevermind anybody else.

It is like a wildlife wilderness now,bloody depressing to be honest.....:thumbsdown:

Hopefully things will turn around now that others are involved.

Thanks for your support,help and understanding via pm Chris.......(y)

Thanks for your support,help and understanding via pm Chris.......(y)

Anytime mate you know that (y)
and I'm glad that the "advice" was put to good use with a positive outcome (y)

Ade, it certainly seem like you are making things happen. Good on you :D

That new place looks mighty promising to! :eek: Is that last shot of what I think it is of? The inhabitants name rhymes with potter?

I hope so Jo.............:)

Nothing else has webbed feet and makes slides into the water.However,this is not the natal holt,this is just one that is used on occasion,so a lot of patience and a huge amount of luck will be required to get one of these,mainly nocturnal,mammals. But I have time Jo..............:)

Thanks for the interest Jo..........(y)

Just got back on forum, pc probs at the moment! what a great set of photos (y)

I wish you all the best(y)

cas

Ade, you have my ideal job (or did have :(), I can't help but be interested. I'm living through you until I can figure out a way to stalk some nature while on my wheels, without scaring everything that breathes away for hours :LOL:

First that I have seen on the river.

DuckFam1.jpg

Hell, I got 10 Jo,but I succumb to your better eyesight.............:)

I've only just found this thread Ade and when I started reading it I thought "What a great idea" for a pictorial diary but having read all of it now I am disgusted at how some people 'manage' the countryside and I'm not surprised you have moved on. It looks like a beautiful area and the river (I'm guessing) appears just right for fly rod :D.

Hope you get it sorted and the culprits are made to pay for what they have done.

Thanks Colin and all,I have now made it a personal challenge to end this murderous gits activities.

Thanks for the pm Colin,noted and appreciated mate......(y)

Great idea for a thread Frac, please keep it going, I shall watch with interest.

Sadly, I've met some of the odious types you're currently having problems with, and I can understand just how you must feel.

lovely photo (y) I never tire of seeing ducklings

Thanks, I shall keep the thread going, the estates shall be called A and Z now, as they could not be further apart,my aim is to get one back to where it should be..........(y)

Back