weekly Spudey's 52 for 2012 - Week3:- 'Sigh' Added

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are my rules for my own 52 for 2012.
Most of them stem from the fact that I can't always carry a camera and often don't have internet access (or TP is blocked) for weeks at a time.

1) All photos will be taken and post-processed on my phone, currently iPhone 4s. I will be using various iOS apps such as Instagram, Hipstamatic, PS Express, etc.
2) Any week missed due other commitments will be completed within 4 weeks.
3) I will stick to the theme, and any photos which are judged to be too far off-theme will be re-shot within 4 weeks.
4) Obviously I'm going to be limited camera-wise but will still strive to make 'technically' good photographs of relevant, interesting subjects.

List of my submissions:

[Post=4299222]Week 1:- Direction[/Post]
[Post=4329356]Week 2:- Fear[/Post]
[Post=4347871]Week 3:- Sigh[/Post]

Last edited:
(y) Good start Ryan and sensible rules given your possible circumstances. Do you work on the rigs to keep you away from your camera/internet connections for such long spells? [the picture might be giving me some clues here too :LOL: ]

Yes I work offshore and abroad on different oil/gas installations. Cameras aren't welcome either for security reasons (middle east mostly) or because they are not 'intrinsically safe' (spark/explosion-proof) at rigsites. This essentially restricts me to using the iPhone in the accommodation block while on a rig.

Shame really because with the dramatic seas and skies we have here right now i'd love to be outside with a DSLR and a wide angle.

Internet is getting better with some form of wifi available on most platforms now, however there are often heavy corporate blocking of streaming video and forums etc.

There's definitely direction in there. Did you push this one through Hipstamatic or similar?

I did this with the Photoshop express iPhone app, brought up the exposure and saturation, then added the border.
Looking at it now on the laptop I can see the wall is a bit blown and there is some noise visible in the signs. :bonk:
I'm happy enough with it, but if I have time later I might try a more subtle edit.

Hi Ryan,

I can see this being an interesting thread. I really have no idea of what iPhone cameras or processing are capable of, so this should be a bit of an eye opener for me.
As for week 1, there’s certainly a lot of direction there and like Yv it made me want to ask questions about the circumstances around it.

Hehe a 52 on an iphone - your braver than me!

I like the picture, others will tell you I have a thing for taking photos of crazy stuff on walls and random signs that are out of context are always a winner in my book.

Hi Ryan......taking on a 52 challenge using mainly an iPhone....you must be :wacky:

Good start though & I look forward to seeing your next 51 weeks...gonna be an interesting thread...I also have no idea what iPhones & the processing apps are capable of

Best of luck (y)

Quite a challenge you have on your hands Ryan! Good luck for the coming weeks. I think this is just right even though you mentioned about noise and blown areas on the photograph. the processing suits the image, in my eyes it works and wouldn't change anything about it. Iain

Ryan, I like your first submission. You must be very dedicated to be doing this using your iPhone only! I'm looking forward to following your progress over the next 12 months.

Hi Ryan, well done you have certainly covered direction in this photo. I look forward to seeing your photos and how you progress this year using your iphone!!

Thanks for the support folks, I just hope I can stretch my imagination a little every week to find something interesting and on-theme.

Here's an alternate edit of the picture. This time i gave it a little 'fluorescent' and 'vibrant' filters in Camera+ and added the black border. Looks a bit less saturated and blown-out.

1a/52:- Direction (Edit) by Ryan Milton, on Flickr

Good luck Ryan - like your first shot - at least you'll always have the camera with you.

Graeme.

I have to say I am always quite impressed with the photos an Iphone can produce, if I have an idea for a photo I sometimes plan it out with the phone first before getting my camera kit out..

I like your thinking with the theme, it is very similar to what I was originally going to do except I was going to do a low light shot on an aircraft with all the emergency lighting on.

Look forward to seeing how you and your phone progree thorugh the year :)

2/52:- Fear
2/52 Fear by Ryan Milton, on Flickr

Did this with the Magic Shutter long exposure app and light painting with a SB-25 flash and some gels.

Not as sharp as I hoped, probably due to the phone just being balanced on the kitchen counter and moving slightly between stacking 2sec exposures and trying to hit the shutter on the screen each time.

I really like the idea and the set up, shame you couldn't get it a bit shaper but it sounds like the odds were against you :)

Fear - I really do like this. The background really helps in this instance.
Sigh - Good take on the theme but in this case I'm finding the background too cluttered and not adding to the image.

Hi Ryan

Sigh....the end of the world for me if I run out of milk ! Great thinking & well caught last drop.....either lose the kettle or include more of it....probably more of it cos that would get the mug handle in frame as well....nice thinking mister (y)

Fear....more humour...& it's on theme...like your thinking ,you added your own crit so just a (y) from me

Back