Critique St Michaels Mount, C&C wanted

Of the two, Neil, I pick the second but I would recommend these:

• reduce the bottom to the image
• recover the island dark areas

Other than that, it's a very good beginning!

Thanks for the comments. Jerry, I understand you comments, been a little hard with good lighting last few days with the weather we have been having.
Kodiak have used Lightroom for a few months first time really used PS to edit. Are there ways to recover the dark areas? Is it by using the dodge tool.

Thanks again for comments

I think you first need to take your pictures in good light. Forget about processing and forget about 10 stop filters. Just get out there and learn to recognise when it is worth pressing the shutter button.

Sorry to be harsh.

Of the two, Neil, I pick the second but I would recommend these:

• reduce the bottom to the image
• recover the island dark areas

Other than that, it's a very good beginning!

I'd agree. Also straighten the horizon and clean your sensor (y)

Thanks for the comments. Jerry, I understand you comments, been a little hard with good lighting last few days with the weather we have been having.
Kodiak have used Lightroom for a few months first time really used PS to edit. Are there ways to recover the dark areas? Is it by using the dodge tool.

Thanks again for comments

I use PS 5 and find if you add a new ;layer select soft light and paint with a soft white brush, dark area's can be recovered like this 2 min edit

Les

You'll need to build up an understanding of the position of the sun at certain times of the day and even year. It's all well and good trying to recover the dark area's to show the deatil on the island but as you can see by peoples edits, it can look 'muddy' and un-natural. If the sun is on the far side of your sibject, you're always gonna to stuggle with the subject being dark. Come back another time of year/time of day when the sun is low and soft but illuminating your subject.

The composition is something of a bitty jumble. Les's version improves on that.
Ok light could be better but dosen't that apply to a lot of the shots we take ...
Why should it? Why should there be a compulsion to record an image outdoors if the light isn't to your liking? The camera can be left in its bag.

The composition is something of a bitty jumble. Les's version improves on that.

Why should it? Why should there be a compulsion to record an image outdoors if the light isn't to your liking? The camera can be left in its bag.
Of course there is no compulsion to record an image and its up to the individual whether they chose to take an image or not.
But to me that depends on the circumstances in the last couple of weeks I've been out local to me for 5 sunrises I thin
k I got the camera out twice in those trips. But when I visited Skye for the first time I a couple of years ago I took images in condition I wouldn't do at home.

Thanks for the input guys. Posiview camera is less that 3 months old but ill have a look at the sensor. I think i may open a can of worms by saying there isnt just one way to take a photo. It was literally a case of not taken a photo for a week or so and had the camera with me. Yes maybe 4:30pm on a stormy feb eve isnt ideal lighting or weather but it was a case of need to take a photo. One thing i think that may not be helping me is that im editing on either a laptop screen or an old lcd monitor with a vga connection and poor colour output. But why would i spend 200 or more on a monitor if i am crap at taking photos. Im trying to guage if i am any good before spending more money.
1st image was edited using photoshop and i cant ever seem to get them to export and look as good as in the program.
2nd was using lightroom .

Please do not get me wrong i appreciate the comments and am trying to take as much from them as i can

But why would i spend 200 or more on a monitor if i am crap at taking photos. Im trying to guage if i am any good before spending more money.
That's entirely reasonable. One thing at a time.
1st image was edited using photoshop and i cant ever seem to get them to export and look as good as in the program.
2nd was using lightroom .
So they look good in PS, then not so good in something else on the same screen (image browser, or what ..)? Is that what you mean?

Yeah they look better in photoshop than windows photo viewer or on a usb stick in my tv or even the internet

Do not despair. You're on the right lines. You've got yourself a decent subject and some half decent light. Just take a step back and think about how you can best get those components into the shot. Work around the subject. Different angles, focal lengths etc. Big lumps of concrete are never going to be pretty foregrounds. Keep at it.(y)

Back