Star Agitator

I got that email this morning and had a look. I like the look of it, and like that it's made in Wales, I'm just not sure about the price. I don't do much film developing at present so twirling the stick and inverting seem good enough at present for me.

Looks expensive for a solution to a problem most folk only encounter until they've developed their first few films. Doubly so when you can get a variable speed shaker from ebay for considerably less.

I enjoyed the "late night shopping channel" feel of the promo video though. :D

There was a reason why Paterson redesigned their dev tank, so using an old style one for the video doesn't really help. And why would you have the twilrling stick inside the tank while you are inverting it? The amount of black debris in the open tank sequence at the end would also horrify anyone processng their own film, so they should really have made more effort to exclude that.

I'm assuming this is based on the magnetic stirrers we used to use in labs many years ago for dissolving chemicals, but that would mean something sitting below the reel and therefore requiring more chemicals? That would be OK for 35mm, but I don't think there's much headroom in the tank with a 120 reel. I can't see them having a big market for this, but fair play to them for trying.

I also guessed it's a magnetic stirrer, but why don't they show more detail on how it works? Version 2 should have agitation programs you can just pre-set and let the thing get on with it.

An attractive item for those with more money than sense.
Given that they are selling this to people who are prepared to pay about the same for a dozen rolls of film before they even think about developing them, they probably know their market. :)

I'm assuming this is based on the magnetic stirrers
That was my first thought but having skipped through the cheesy video I think it's ultrasonic.

I prefer inversion because that seems to me most likely to keep the chemicals completely mixed and get fresh chemicals throughout the spiral.

That was my first thought but having skipped through the cheesy video I think it's ultrasonic.

I prefer inversion because that seems to me most likely to keep the chemicals completely mixed and get fresh chemicals throughout the spiral.
If it's ultrasonic, it would be good for cleaning the reels afterwards as well. And any jewellery. :)

Aldi and Lidl occasionally sell an ultrasonic cleaner for around £15-20. I bought one a few years ago for cleaning carburettor parts and never ended up using it. Might be worth digging it out and seeing if I can fit a developing tank in it, worth trying for the sake of curiosity if nothing else.

There was a reason why Paterson redesigned their dev tank, so using an old style one for the video doesn't really help. And why would you have the twilrling stick inside the tank while you are inverting it?

I occasionally use an older Paterson System 4 tank, as it allows me to put two 35mm reels in at once. It leaks like a sieve when inverted, that's why I use the twiddle stick to agitate. I much prefer my later Super System 4 tank with the Tupperware style lid, which doesn't leak at all when inverted.

@Peter B is quite right when he argues that this daft device is a solution to a problem which hasn't existed for many years. If you just have an older Paterson tank, bin it and buy a new type - it's a lot cheaper.

My first thought was ultrasonic. Back in the 70s I worked in the textile industry and one task I was given was testing ultrasonic tanks to clean the stainless-steel sprung reels used for pressure-dying crimplene yarn (yes, I had some classy suits). It was very effective but at the time difficult to scale up.

Why do you want to use such a thing? I proved to my own satisfaction 50 years ago that continuous agitation tends towards increased grain. Nitrogen bubble agitation such as we used in the old 25 gallon tanks didn't because it was much more gentle than any mechanical process (when adjusted to the correct pressure).

I'm with the majority here. My tanks don't leak, and I prefer inversion. Inversion doesn't cost anything, whereas this device uses batteries.

And I was also astounded at the dirt in the tank shown at the end.

Not for me.

I cant say my tanks leaked much, never had any problems with a gentle inversion a few times a minute. I wouldn't be buying one. Anyway I suspect you could make your own with... Errr well a you know what for a lot less. ;)

Last edited:
This product and it's 'inventor/designer' has been extensively discusssed on Photrio and LFPF from which he has been banned I understand.

Last edited:
This product and it's 'inventor/designer' has been extensively discusssed on Photrio and LFPF from which he has been banned I understand.
I've just been reading the threads on Photorio and FADU, so I can save you the time by telling you that there were a variety of posts similar to this thread suggesting why this might not actually work in practice. Possibly more interesting is that the producer quotes his price as £25.99, which looks like a pretty big mark-up for Jack the Hat

Independent review with telling video and disassembly - View: https://BANNED/ZDP189/status/1214082618221723648

Each to their own, it sells

Also it is a shame you didn't have the courtesy and manners to come back to us with your comments Dan K

Finally I have people VERY happy with it especially when processing SHEET film you can NOT invert

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Please get your facts right, Trump never does either !

I left I was not banned I told them to delete my details

Finally I have people VERY happy with it especially when processing SHEET film you can NOT invert

:)

I dev lots of sheet film.
Agitation is done by hand which offers considerably more control over how gentle or aggresive the movements are performed.

As for roll film; again aitation performed by hand either through inversion or using the "twidly stick" that comes with patterson daylight tanks is, imo, a much better method of controlling grain / contrast……...I don't believe that your device will understand if i request it to "slow down" so as not to ruin my film…..My hands on the other hand ;)

I stick by my opinion that this motorised apparatus is nothing but a gimmick and a load of tat!

Back