weekly Steve248's 52, New picture added... 5 Down alot to go...

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Posting this to commit myself. I am planning to catch up so may pick some of the easiest first... It's funny, at first i thought this would be fairly simple but now I look at the categories my mind has gone blank!

Week 1 : Direction
Week 2 : Fear
Week 3 : Sigh
Week 4 : Sweet
Week 5 : Secure
Week 6 : Industry
Week 7 : Root
Week 8 : Handmade
Week 9 : Money
Week 10 :Win
Week 11 :Shiny
Week 12: Magical
Week 13: Vice
Week 14: Entrance
Week 15: Soft
Week 16: Pride
Week 17: Short
Week 18: Flight

Last edited:
Welcome to the club Steve! We all have permanently blank minds; it's one of the key requirements for the challenge!

Good luck, looking forward to seeing your work :)

Welcome aboard Steve....as Mark says.....a blank mind is almost compulsory :LOL: BUt once you get going it might get easier...just remember to have fun along the way (y)

Shiny by steve24822, on Flickr

Well, this is my first submission, week 11, shiny... We had a bit of sunshine yesterday and I saw it hit this snow globe by the window. Unfortunately it would not work as it was because of the messy background so I waited until the evening and set up a strobe behind it and had a play.

This is far from perfect but it's a start. If I had a snoot I think that would have work better but as it was, the light was a little too scattered so I didnt get the halo of light I wanted.

Looking forward to your comments.

Last edited:
Nice picture and on theme maybe crop it a bit more the light at the bottom left is a bit distracting

Direction by steve24822, on Flickr

Week 1, Direction. I found this sign on the Beach at Margate today whilst out with the family. I am trying to catch up and only use new images. This is number 2!

Thanks in advance for your comments...

Industry by steve24822, on Flickr

Week 6: Industry...

ISO 2500, 1/100 Sec, f/8.

This is far from a great picture I know, but I thought it was a great example of the quality of the Nikon D800 at high ISO. There is so much debate about this but I do not think it is half bad. Just for the record, I am finding 6400 very good for most pictures but have decided to try and stick to 3200 max for now. At that level it is so good that it has literally transformed my photographic oppurtunities.

As always, really happy to hear what you all think...

Last edited:
Hi Steve, welcome to the mad house and blank minds R us :wave: :nuts:

Shiny: I think this is lovely:clap: cracking detail and colour in the globe, I would hash that shot up massively!

Direction: I'm liking the quirky angle and lovely blue sky. Although I'm intrigued about what the animal signs were!

Industry: lovely vibrant colours and great detail. It doesn't look grainy at all for a high ISO. I've only just started using high ISO, it certainly helps doesn't it?

A great start to your 52, only 17 weeks to catch up with now:nuts:

Hi Steve, welcome to the mad house and blank minds R us :wave: :nuts:

Shiny: I think this is lovely:clap: cracking detail and colour in the globe, I would hash that shot up massively!

Direction: I'm liking the quirky angle and lovely blue sky. Although I'm intrigued about what the animal signs were!

Industry: lovely vibrant colours and great detail. It doesn't look grainy at all for a high ISO. I've only just started using high ISO, it certainly helps doesn't it?

A great start to your 52, only 17 weeks to catch up with now:nuts:

thanks very much for your comments, really appreciated. I need to crack on with some more but weekends are pretty much it for me and I am trying to avoid any past images.

Oh and about your comment on ISO, I thought I would mention it as there is so much debate about whether the D800 is any good at high ISO.

Basically, it is very good. What seems to be forgotton when people are doing comparisons is that you need to compare like for like by crop size. What is happeneing is they are doing a pixel by pixel comparison which does not reflect the real world. In other words, if you wanted to print a picture at A4 from both a D700 and a D800 then the D700 would have to be enlarged 3 times more than the D800 image. As the inperfections are more noticible the further you enlarge an image the D800 will outperform the D700 even if pixel for pixel it is not as good.

I hope that makes sense?

Last edited:
Week 18: Flight

flight by steve24822, on Flickr

In advance I have to say that the focus is poor. Sharpness is vey important with an action shot and this just does not tick the box. My daughter was a patient and willing volunteer for this but basically I failed to get the picture.

Anyway, I have a lot of catching up to do so this is it...

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure on the cropped version of shiny:thinking: Or perhaps too much is cropped off as the base of the ball is missing.

Flight, cracking shot(y) Yes the focus is off, her right foot is more in focus than her face, but these are SOOOO difficult to catch perfectly! I always find I miss something, either the focus, or chop a head/ limb off! You've done well to catch her in frame:clap:

Hi Steve.

I like the cropped one for shiny best, though it'd work for magical too! Nice shot :)

Direction is lovely; shooting a sign could be a bit obvious for this one, but your composition and the nature of the sign makes it special.

Industry doesn't do a lot for me I'm afraid, apart from the colours which are great. Yep, the quality at ISO3200 looks spot on to me; if I tried that on mine, it'd look like one of those pictures they use to test for colour blindness!

Flight is a wonderful composition, but perhaps a slightly busy background?

Entrance is just great; love it!!

Last edited:
Hi Steve.

I like the cropped one for shiny best, though it'd work for magical too! Nice shot :)

Direction is lovely; shooting a sign could be a bit obvious for this one, but your composition and the nature of the sign makes it special.

Industry doesn't do a lot for me I'm afraid, apart from the colours which are great. Yep, the quality at ISO3200 looks spot on to me; if I tried that on mine, it'd look like open of those pictures they use to test for colour blindness!

Flight is a wonderful composition, but perhaps a slightly busy background?

Entrance is just great; love it!!

Wow, thank you for the great comments. I am working on "Short" at the moment.

Steve, you have some very nice images here. I know it's hard keeping up but you have some nice work here (y)

Nick

I should be able to get a few more done this week.

You've only got 17 to go; easy peasy! Mind you, isn't that something like 5 terabytes worth on a D800? :D

PS, once you've done those 17 shots, all you have to do is catch up with comments on (on average) something like 40 x 22 shots from others!!!!!!!!! That should get your post count up nicely (y):LOL::D

Southdowns said:
PS, once you've done those 17 shots, all you have to do is catch up with comments on (on average) something like 40 x 22 shots from others!!!!!!!!! That should get your post count up nicely (y):LOL::D

:LOL::LOL: I think I started this year with a few hundred posts to my name:bonk:

Hi Steve

love your INdustry shot , especially given the ISO , great colors , just the right amount of Dof...really stands out off the page :clap:

Both versions of your globe work for me , but particularly like the close up , the glitter in the globe really shines....:clap:

Entrance.....as you say it has it all - symmetry, colour and theme...great image mister (y)

Are you still with us Steve? I hope so as I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your shots :)

Back