Stitched photo Crit/Advice Trees again

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this photo at the same time as the other tree photos posted the other day. I have had some very encouraging feedback on those. Which to be honest I was surprised at. "Chuffed though" That said I had another look at the images I took that morning and came accross this one which I overlooked at the time mainly due to the fact that the single files didnt look to good on there own. When I stitched them together I quite liked the scene.
I think it needs some cropped off the left hand side but would love to get some thoughts on this.
Is there a rule of thumb for panorama images sizes/ratio's ?

So any crit feedback advice would be greatly recieved.

Gaz

Image taken at Tandle hills country park Oldham.

pano_ground_small.jpg

This is horrible, what a nightmare: "How do you want me to fit that in the only frame
I have?" ;-) I love the mood given to the rendition… this would be a fantastic
decorative element anywhere! …except at my place since I don't have the right frame. :(

Cropping? let it be, its beautiful!

Do not touch it. It is quite lovely as it is. Mysterious, but invites one to move from tree to tree to see more.

Marie

Hi Gaz. Love the scene and the tonality. Gives it a mysterious feel.

As for the crop... Well, my preference is to shoot portrait orientation when planning a panorama. It adds to the overall megapixel count and offers (imo) a more aesthetically pleasing aspect ratio.

there is no set in stone rule for pano ratio's. Mine tend to be either 2.5x1, 2.8x1 or 3x1. Think I did a 4x1 once but don't like it now, its all preference,

6x17 like the old fuji pano camera's are nice IMO, works out about 2.83x1

Last edited:
I really like this photo .It's captivating. Regarding the bush on the right side mentioned in a couple of replies,I've looked hard at it and in some way it's like a balance,I think anyone who would want it removed are in my camp to be honest..a clean photo mentality but this time I think it's fine.

I've visited your Flickr pages and they are stunning. Many wonderful photos,infact,so far, I haven't see one I've skipped over..they're at professional level, for sure.. I've bookmarked it and will go through all the pages at leisure. Most of the scenes we all see but would never think they'd make a good photo but they do..eg. the photo of the two men (?) from the waist down out for a walk in the snow with the hills(Pennines ?..Yorkshire Dales?) in the background. (Page 2)..riveting.

Great moody Photo, love the colours and don't crop it as there appears to be a path next to that bush.
Only improvement in my eyes would be to shoot from a higher view point if possible as the ridge line is chopping the bottom off all the trees in the background and hidding the path on the right hand side if its there.

Pete.

I hope you don't mind, I had a little look in snapseed at a crop to remove the bush right hand side. I'll remove it if you like. :)
Nick

Personally I much prefer the original, your crop looses the sense of depth provided by the bright patch and distant trees on the right

Well what can I say. I did not expect to see so many replies, quite gobsmacked really ! Very pleased too !

This is horrible, what a nightmare: "How do you want me to fit that in the only frame
I have?" ;-) I love the mood given to the rendition… this would be a fantastic
decorative element anywhere! …except at my place since I don't have the right frame. :(

Cropping? let it be, its beautiful!
Thank your Sir. You have a great sense of humour too.
Do not touch it. It is quite lovely as it is. Mysterious, but invites one to move from tree to tree to see more.

Marie
Thank you Marie. I like that you get that mood from the photo.
not sure about the bushier element far right of frame
Hi Gaz? Gary if no likey :) Thanks for stopping by and leaving some thoughts. I quite liked that side of the photo, it was the other side I was thinking of cropping a bit.

Hi Gaz. Love the scene and the tonality. Gives it a mysterious feel.

As for the crop... Well, my preference is to shoot portrait orientation when planning a panorama. It adds to the overall megapixel count and offers (imo) a more aesthetically pleasing aspect ratio.
Hi Dave. Yep I get you there. The ones I have tried in the past have all been done the other way around like you say. However I tried it this way as from where I was stood above the trees I liked the floor area and the limbs/trunks of the trees more than anything.
Spot on as it is for me.
Thanks Chris.
there is no set in stone rule for pano ratio's. Mine tend to be either 2.5x1, 2.8x1 or 3x1. Think I did a 4x1 once but don't like it now, its all preference,

6x17 like the old fuji pano camera's are nice IMO, works out about 2.83x1
Hi Ross. Thanks for the info. Mind you I will have to look into those ratio's as my head hurts reading them figures.
(easily confused) :-(
I really like this photo .It's captivating. Regarding the bush on the right side mentioned in a couple of replies,I've looked hard at it and in some way it's like a balance,I think anyone who would want it removed are in my camp to be honest..a clean photo mentality but this time I think it's fine.

I've visited your Flickr pages and they are stunning. Many wonderful photos,infact,so far, I haven't see one I've skipped over..they're at professional level, for sure.. I've bookmarked it and will go through all the pages at leisure. Most of the scenes we all see but would never think they'd make a good photo but they do..eg. the photo of the two men (?) from the waist down out for a walk in the snow with the hills(Pennines ?..Yorkshire Dales?) in the background. (Page 2)..riveting.
My John. I don't know about making someones day. You just made my year !
Seriously though thank you for your kind words and feedback on the image.
It does seem most people say leave as is.

Great moody Photo, love the colours and don't crop it as there appears to be a path next to that bush.
Only improvement in my eyes would be to shoot from a higher view point if possible as the ridge line is chopping the bottom off all the trees in the background and hidding the path on the right hand side if its there.

Pete.

Thanks Pete. Point taken I wil try and remember that for future referance.

I hope you don't mind, I had a little look in snapseed at a crop to remove the bush right hand side. I'll remove it if you like. :)
Nick
HI there no I don't mind anyone editing the image. It helps everyone learn. It is quite odd that the replies seem to want to crop that side as it just never occured to me to do so.
I must admit I prefer the original though.

Personally I much prefer the original, your crop looses the sense of depth provided by the bright patch and distant trees on the right
Ditto.

Gaz

It's a great image, i really like it. Great location and perfect conditions. The stitching looks spot on. To carry on the PM printing question, I've always preferred printed pano's with a ratio of somewhere around 2.5-3:1 . That said there's no right or wrong. Anytime i've tried stitching beyond 3:1 (e.g. very long and thin) it hasn't looked right somehow. I've come to the conclusion that it's harder to keep the ratio down when stitching as you can just keep turning the camera and adding one more. I often add a couple of frames to the edge to see what it looks like real wide and then crop the final pano to suit. The Vancouver Skyline one you mentioned was proably 5 or even 6:1 after stitching the images, and then cropped back to 3:1.

If this has come out 39x7.5 inches then ratio is about 5:1. I quite like the crop that someone posted above, and my first thoughts when I saw the your image was to crop similarly.

It's well worth printing though - you can probably only reallly appreciate this type of pano when it's printed as even the largest monitor can't do it justice.

If you do frame it then you'd have to think where to put it, as a really long but very thin frame might not suit most walls. That said you might have perfect spot for a long thin framed print.

Well done. It's a great image. Would love to have been there.

Great pano, and sizing looks good. I like the movement of the trees into the bushier element on the right...gives an idea of end framing for me.

Every so often you think I like that, no hang on I really like that, the realise you wish you'd taken it...... now I need to find somewhere I can do something along those lines, cracking image....

Leave it alone its fine, in fact its a wall hanger for me even if you need to move to get a wall big enough :)

Robin

Every so often you think I like that, no hang on I really like that, the realise you wish you'd taken it...... now I need to find somewhere I can do something along those lines, cracking image....

Leave it alone its fine, in fact its a wall hanger for me even if you need to move to get a wall big enough :)

Robin
Thanks Robin. I like the way you tell of your thoughts as they apear in your head :)

Gaz

For me the autum leaves on the floor need to have there original colours.
Hi Kevin. Not much at all as been altered on the ground leaves may have been slightly desaturated a smidges maybe.
Will take a look at that though.

Cheers
Gaz

Hi Gary, well that is interesting light you had
Hi Kevin.
I'm no landscape photographer so not sure how odd/interesting the light was that morning. I took these (link below) that morning at various points in the park. The third photo is very close in location to this one posted here the thing I altered on the ground was to the whitish stems.I think the third one here maybe had vibrance upped a bit too.

Gaz

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/park-in-oldham-manchester.604265/

Last edited:
Looks great to me, would love to see it large.

Back