Stollen Cake

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I love Stollen cake. The Aldi one got good reviews so I bought one. It was very dry so I binned it. Today I paid £12 for quite a large one from a cake stall run by a chap from Silesia. I’ve just had a slice and it worse than Aldi’s. Inside it looks like brown bread and is dry as a bone. I asked him if it was moist.Daft question, really..of course it is. My wife’s taking it back tomorrow.

Does anyone on here share my passion for it and if so where should I go next ? M&S, Sainsbury, Waitrose or fly to Dresden where the most common one is made..Dresdener Stollen...?

This review has the Aldi one as best Abd hasn’t got much good to say about the rest.

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/c...supermarket-stollens-available-for-christmas/

Taking the £32 Fortnum & Mason out of the running..I really like it but £32 ?..lol .the Co-op bite-size gets a thumbs up.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/food-reviews/g666856/stollen/

Waitrose Stollen slices are ok, but not great, don't break the bank at three quid though.

My favourite German sweet treat seems to be unavailable here.
It's called Printern and is a sort of Gingerbread, should have brought more back with me in the summer

Lidl is the way to go.
Never had a bad one from them. They tend to sell out very fast.

just eat a small one form the Aldi (apple) it was good and moist

I love Stollen cake. The Aldi one got good reviews so I bought one. It was very dry so I binned it. Today I paid £12 for quite a large one from a cake stall run by a chap from Silesia. I’ve just had a slice and it worse than Aldi’s. Inside it looks like brown bread and is dry as a bone. I asked him if it was moist.Daft question, really..of course it is. My wife’s taking it back tomorrow.

Does anyone on here share my passion for it and if so where should I go next ? M&S, Sainsbury, Waitrose or fly to Dresden where the most common one is made..Dresdener Stollen...?

This review has the Aldi one as best Abd hasn’t got much good to say about the rest.

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/c...supermarket-stollens-available-for-christmas/

Taking the £32 Fortnum & Mason out of the running..I really like it but £32 ?..lol .the Co-op bite-size gets a thumbs up.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/food-reviews/g666856/stollen/
I’m not a fan of them but I would suggest buy any and give them a good glug of brandy/whisky/WHY, wrap in foil and eat at New Year ;). No charge for this advice.

They tend to sell out very fast.
Yeah tell me about it, I put one in my trolley, by the time I got the check out it was no longer there, I guess it had been Stollen
:coat:

I very rarely buy food from Aldi, but the nicest stollen I've had was from there around 5 years ago; it was a limited 'special buy' Luxury Black Forest Stollen that had flakes of nuts on the top and cherries inside and a slight taste of Kirsch to it. I've never seen it in stock since, which is a shame as it seemed to sell out very quickly and I thought it was lovely. I tried one of their standard 'cheap' stollen this year and found it quite dry and the marzipan filling was well off centre and took a couple of slices to reach too, which don't think helped. I won't be buying that again!

Fortnum's used to sell a much more reasonably priced stollen without the wooden box nonsense that was very nice - I wonder if you can still buy it from the Piccadilly shop or if the expensive one is now the only one they do?

Lidl is the way to go.

Ok. Thanks. We have a Lidl here.

just eat a small one form the Aldi (apple) it was good and moist

We’re going to Aldi this morning. I saw a bag of small bite-size ones there a few weeks ago but if I’d got them then I’d have eaten them by now..lol.

I’m not a fan of them but I would suggest buy any and give them a good glug of brandy/whisky/WHY, wrap in foil and eat at New Year ;). No charge for this advice.

Lol..Thing is, Richard, When I was 16/17 I went to a dance hall on New Years Eve and ...well..let’s just say that since that evening I recoil at even the smell of it so I’ll give that free advice a miss...lol.

I very rarely buy food from Aldi, but the nicest stollen I've had was from there around 5 years ago; it was a limited 'special buy' Luxury Black Forest Stollen that had flakes of nuts on the top and cherries inside and a slight taste of Kirsch to it. I've never seen it in stock since, which is a shame as it seemed to sell out very quickly and I thought it was lovely. I tried one of their standard 'cheap' stollen this year and found it quite dry and the marzipan filling was well off centre and took a couple of slices to reach too, which don't think helped. I won't be buying that again!

That’s a shame. It sounds great. You have to wonder why it’s not been stocked since.

Fortnum's used to sell a much more reasonably priced stollen without the wooden box nonsense that was very nice - I wonder if you can still buy it from the Piccadilly shop or if the expensive one is now the only one they do?

‘Piccadilly ? That’s 116 miles..2hrs. 48 mins from us..lol. I suppose for those who would buy it they could have it posted.

Thanks all..much appreciated.

Both Lidl and Aldi have provided good stollen in the past - perhaps you were unlucky & got a QA failure? Regarding dryness, it should be a little moist but not gooey, slightly firm rather than soft.

Tesco have also had good stollen, but it's usually a little more expensive.

I buy the Lidl's mini stolen and have one as a means of portion control. If I had the chance, I'd eat them by the pack!!! They also freeze (and, more importantly, defrost!) well so last from when they run out of them until they're back "in season" (IF I remember to buy enough!)

Both Lidl and Aldi have provided good stollen in the past - perhaps you were unlucky & got a QA failure? Regarding dryness, it should be a little moist but not gooey, slightly firm rather than soft.

Tesco have also had good stollen, but it's usually a little more expensive.

Lidl is the way to go.

I buy the Lidl's mini stolen and have one as a means of portion control. If I had the chance, I'd eat them by the pack!!! They also freeze (and, more importantly, defrost!) well so last from when they run out of them until they're back "in season" (IF I remember to buy enough!)

Update..Lol. This morning I was a man on a mission to go to the Co-op and Lidl and left home at 8.15. I went to the Co-op as their ‘bite-size’ had a very good review from a panel of experts but the lady told me that,for reasons unknown to her, they hadn’t been sent any. They sell own brand excellent crisps..called ‘Lightly sea salted (in a large blag pack gold lettering for anyone interested. £1.70 for one but £2 for two..a no brainer,really. From there I drove to Lidl. Another tip but for Lidl. I bought flowers there this morning .£2.19 for a good bunch which are usually £3.00 at Morrison’s £3.50 at Sainsbury’s . In Morrison’s this morning I see they are £5 for Christmas. However, the clincher is the large bouquet, usually £5 in Lidl...£15 at Morrison’s .Even Lidl have put that bouquet to £10 adding sone christmassy deco on it..but normally £5.

Back to the Stollen. Just by the entrance we’re loads. I was a bit worried because Ken (kendo1) said they go quickly. Having had two failures I went for the mini one. Still a decent individual size at 6” long. The lady in the Co-op told me to make sure I got the one I liked with marzipan filling. Good job because I initially picked up one with a seed filling. Just different coloured writing.

I’ve now had a slice..ok two..lol. It’s superb.

Mr. Nod...Absolutely spot on.. :). I can see why you go for the mini one..it’s addictive. It gets better. My wife has watched my desperation to get stollen and is,right now, in the process of making one. Easy, she tells me,it just takes a long time. Apparently, the mix has to sit for 2hrs. Good to know...or maybe not..lol..that they freeze well.

The mini is on the worktop in the kitchen and I think I need to put it out of sight. Maybe I could just have another wee slice as it goes into the cupboard..lol. I also keep gettting a mental picture of the stack of large ones at Lidl. .:LOL: I’m sure this must be a symptom of addiction...lol. So, it’s Lidl for me each year.

Last edited:
@JohnC6 glad you found a good one. I read to the end because I'm a fan of stollen too. Will be paying a visit to the Co-op! :)

Very good. You won’t be disappointed. I‘ve just edited re the CO-OP crisps to say they’re ‘Own brand 150gms‘ Also written on the pack in blue writing is ‘hand cooked’

Beware,though.As with the Aldi stollen these crisps are addictive..:)

I would beg to differ and suggest baking your own, using organic flour (actually that's highly incorrect term - should be ecological, or whatever) and add less sugar. Far less sugar, but maybe more fruit. And never ANY MARGARINE = pure poison.

Not only doing so is fun but this will also make it a little healthier alternative. ... not healthy but healthier. It would normally cost more as you end up using better ingredients and don't get wholesale prices but its worth it.

Some things are worth a bit more effort though, Chris!

John, glad you're enjoying the mini stolen. Ours are sat atop the fridge so are usually out of sight (and mind!) and I can resist helping myself until it's cuppa time. Used to have 2 with the tea but the pounds started arriving a little faster than a creep so now I can generally resist the urge for a second. Tried the larger one from the same label but found it a bit dry for my taste - there seems to be a bit more marzipan in a mini than in a bite of the bigger which suits my sweet tooth.

FWIW, the Lidl commercialmas puddings are pretty good too and certainly far better value than those from elsewhere.

Very good. You won’t be disappointed. I‘ve just edited re the CO-OP crisps to say they’re ‘Own brand 150gms‘ Also written on the pack in blue writing is ‘hand cooked’

Beware,though.As with the Aldi stollen these crisps are addictive..:)
Re the Co-op own brand crisps the pigs in blankets flavour and the ultimate roast potato flavour are superb and you’re right they’re soo addictive.

Blimey you truly were a man on a mission!
If I can't get it in "A" I might try "B" as B is right next to "A"
If after the second attempt, for what ever, it is, its a case of f*** it I shan't bother (y)

My wife would agree ..Lol. At work I had a reputation of single-mindedness to a fault..a dogged determination. If my wife is going out she’l tell me I’m to wait for her to get back from wherever and we’ll do a job together that she thinks needs two people. I watch her car go off, wait 5 minutes in case she returns having forgotten something And get on with the job. :)

I would beg to differ and suggest baking your own, using organic flour (actually that's highly incorrect term - should be ecological, or whatever) and add less sugar. Far less sugar, but maybe more fruit. And never ANY MARGARINE = pure poison.

Not only doing so is fun but this will also make it a little healthier alternative. ... not healthy but healthier. It would normally cost more as you end up using better ingredients and don't get wholesale prices but its worth it.

My wife made one today..took ages. I don’t think she used organic flour..just regular strong flour. The ‘crust’ was too hard. It was dark-ish brown and didn’t look right Compared to the one I’d bought. She blames it on not having got used to the new oven for that and who am I to challenge her..lol. She used marzipan..much nicer than the diazipan I’ve recently stopped taking re my sciatic nerve pain..lol. The inside was very moist and really too sweet. I scraped some out and had it with some double cream. She wants to give it another try but I don’t think many people can ever get a product like that as good as shop bought,putting aside your valid comments re quality. It was a Delia Smith recipe and Delia recommended eating it warm.

Last edited:
Some things are worth a bit more effort though, Chris!

John, glad you're enjoying the mini stolen. Ours are sat atop the fridge so are usually out of sight (and mind!) and I can resist helping myself until it's cuppa time. Used to have 2 with the tea but the pounds started arriving a little faster than a creep so now I can generally resist the urge for a second. Tried the larger one from the same label but found it a bit dry for my taste - there seems to be a bit more marzipan in a mini than in a bite of the bigger which suits my sweet tooth.

FWIW, the Lidl commercialmas puddings are pretty good too and certainly far better value than those from elsewhere.

Ah.. ok. Thanks for that. I intended to buy a large and two small,slice and wrap them and put them in the freezer so I gave individual portions. That way there isn’t sitting around tempting me and that way I do gave the discipline to not have any cake,biscuit, Chelsea bun.(another favourite) . I cut them in half and freeze them for the same reason. I’ll just get the minis now. (y)

We do have a pudding already and I think it would be wiser if we left it at just the one..lol ..but next year I can go to Lidl for both.

Last edited:
The ‘crust’ was too hard. It was dark-ish brown and didn’t look right

I can hardly call myself an expert of cakes and deserts but my money would be on slightly too high temperature. Slower cooking at lower temp appears to deliver better results overall; also covering it or baking in a glass casserole dish (!!!) appears to work.

I can hardly call myself an expert of cakes and deserts but my money would be on slightly too high temperature. Slower cooking at lower temp appears to deliver better results overall; also covering it or baking in a glass casserole dish (!!!) appears to work.

Ok..thanks. I’ll pass this info on to my wife. I’m sure she’ll have another go.

Just watching the life of Freddie Mercury on Ch. 5. Seen most of them but this has a few new features. On until 11.45.

just had a marzipan from Aldi got it to take to work on the 25th :( but it was shouting eat me tonight so its back tomorrow to get some more

just to let you know that small ones are now 0.49p :)

Back