Stopping cats from using the garden

hashcake

Gone to pot!
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone have any good suggestions?
Two local cats have taken to using my garden as their toilet and both have also come into the house and been chased off by my dog.
A friend recommended using jeyes fluid but this is toxic for most animals.
The devices that use ultrasonic are no good as I this could affect my dog.

Put old CD's or DVD's in the earth, they don't like the shiny surfaces.

Anyone have any good suggestions?
Two local cats have taken to using my garden as their toilet and both have also come into the house and been chased off by my dog.
A friend recommended using jeyes fluid but this is toxic for most animals.
The devices that use ultrasonic are no good as I this could affect my dog.

The answer is staring you in the face: lay down some 'special' fish flavoured cakes and party on.

Some tips on here: https://m.wikihow.com/Prevent-Cats-from-Pooping-in-the-Garden

I know that the citrus one is true, cats hate it - scatter some lemon peels about the garden where they are doing their deed mostly - or make up a lemon juice spray and spray around the area every evening. I presume they are doing it at night?

I certainly would not even think about harming them, unless you like prison food. Cats, even feral ones, are protected by the RSPCA and harming them in any way could land you a hefty fine or even a sentence.

Some tips on here: https://m.wikihow.com/Prevent-Cats-from-Pooping-in-the-Garden

I know that the citrus one is true, cats hate it - scatter some lemon peels about the garden where they are doing their deed mostly - or make up a lemon juice spray and spray around the area every evening. I presume they are doing it at night?

I certainly would not even think about harming them, unless you like prison food. Cats, even feral ones, are protected by the RSPCA and harming them in any way could land you a hefty fine or even a sentence.

I'm an animal lover, I wouldn't dream of using a product that could harm them, hence the reason I won't use jeyes fluid.
I'll try some citrus juice and see how it goes.

I'm an animal lover, I wouldn't dream of using a product that could harm them, hence the reason I won't use jeyes fluid.
I'll try some citrus juice and see how it goes.

Same here, we had 2 cats here, one died shortly after Christmas and it was honestly like losing a family member as we had her for almost 10 year. I'm the that uses a glass and sheet of paper to safely remove spiders and bugs from the house, I'd feel bad even swatting a fly! I think part of that is doing macro photography over the years has go me to appreciate all kinds of creatures. Humans however ... different story! :D

try the lemon rinds/peel, they might only be effective [if at all] for a few days then you will have to replace with fresh ones. But you can get bags of lemons for a few quid and if they do work it'll be worth it.

I have a device that connects to a hose pipe. When it senses movement the device sprays water.
Not sure if works on animals but it certainly scared our window cleaner [emoji2960]

This could work as cats don't like water very much

Put old CD's or DVD's in the earth, they don't like the shiny surfaces.
Must admit I’ve never heard of that one, although I know you can use them as bird scarers. The ones I’ve heard of are pepper (or pepper dust), lion poo and citrus peel but I’m not sure how effective they really are. Our cats are petrified of the hose pipe (and our vacuum cleaner, I think it’s the hissing noise that gets to them) so ST1’s solution sounds a good bet.

Coffee grounds are supposedly supposed to deter cats and you can get used grounds free from Starbucks/Costa etc.,

I have read about that as well, my sister has given me some chilli powder as it works well for her.

That’s the device I made reference to in my post above

Nice idea, thanks I'll check them out if the chilli powder doesn't work.

Coffee grounds are supposedly supposed to deter cats and you can get used grounds free from Starbucks/Costa etc.,

I've also read about that and added it to the list if the chilli powder fails to work.

My local garden centre provides coffee grounds free too.
I tried some stuff called "Lion Poo" or similar.
Fortunately (and being very selfish) my 2 cats seem to keep any other cats away and mine don't use my garden as their toilet, I guess they use the neighbours', but I have said I am fine with them scaring mine off with water or whatever they think ok so long as they don't harm my beasties.

My local garden centre provides coffee grounds free too.
Fortunately (and being very selfish) my 2 cats seem to keep any other cats away and mine don't use my garden as their toilet, I guess they use the neighbours', but I have said I am fine with them scaring mine off with water or whatever they think ok so long as they don't harm my beasties.

Same thing here, we had 2 but just the one cat now, 2 of them were keeping our garden outsider free. Though the one we have now was having a hard time after the other died to patrol our garden, she has been keeping all other felines [and vermin] out these days. The odd row occurs but in general they're very wary of her. She doesn't do her business in out garden either, and I've said same to the neighbours, if she's doing it in theirs feel free to run her off by whatever [safe] means necessary. But instead ... they're actually feeding her extra on the sly! :D I've caught them out doing so. She does her little kitty eyes at them for sympathy and they're giving her cooked chicken! Little fecker is the most spoiled cat I know, she's on Sheeba cat food + extras here as is. But, she is doing her job so if it aint broke ..

IIRC it's called "Zoo Poo". Like coffee grounds, citrus peel, chilli powder, pepper etc. it works against some cats but others have ideas above their station and will overlay their markers on the larger droppings. Sitting with a water pistol works well but only while you can be there - the automatic thing looks like a good non harming device. Jeyes fluid on a rag under an old plant pot works quite well but deters legitimate users from the garden as well as crapping cats!

Jeyes fluid on a rag under an old plant pot works quite well but deters legitimate users from the garden as well as crapping cats!

As I mentioned in my op, Jeyes is toxic.
I've got a hedgehog visiting my garden again and it eats the seeds the sparrows throw out of the feeders.
I'm now wondering if chilli powder will stop the hedgehog from visiting?
I think ultimately the ultrasonic device that sprays water might be the best way forward.

If you're wanting to promote hedgehog tourism then all these anti-cat measures may prevent their visits too.

As the dog doesn't seem to be proving much of a deterrent, get a cat yourself. There will still be cat poo, but it will be your cat's poo, not someone elses...

Rock / Hashcake / Hard Place

As the dog doesn't seem to be proving much of a deterrent, get a cat yourself. There will still be cat poo, but it will be your cat's poo, not someone elses...

Rock / Hashcake / Hard Place

My dog will see them off, I don't think the black one will try and come into the house since she cornered it in the kitchen Saturday morning.
However, my neighbour's behind me, her cat hasn't deterred even though it's been chased off a couple of times.
She thinks it's because they also have a dog but mine has seen her cat when we go for walkies and lunged for it a few times.

I use two ultrasonic alarms - not had a problem since using them.

I use two ultrasonic alarms - not had a problem since using them.

I've looked at them and the frequency for cats is more less the same for dogs which is no use as I have a dog.

We get fox poo in the garden, they also dig up any new plants and the cubs break and chew everything, cats would be an improvement!

We had a Dove poop issue here for a bit, there's a big Ash tree out back where I hang feeders for the smaller birds but Collar Doves, Crows and Magpies do try chancing their arm [they cannot stay on the feeders long without falling off] - so I think this was spite! 2 collar doves were sitting on the same branch daily and s***ting a LOT onto part of the patio - I came out one morning and couldn't believe the mound they'd made it was rank! Next time I spotted them on that branch I ran out with a brush in hand and threatened to throw it up at them - they flew off and haven't sat on that branch since. I must have looked pretty mental that day :D Maybe just run out and go ballistic at the cats? :wacky::LOL:

Neighbours think I’ve lost it spreading a mix of coffee grounds and citrus peeling(also ground up) across areas of the grass, if the cats stay away it will be worth it.

The garden would be good, I have the back door open, when its hot, a black and white one and a tabby type, just wanders in, not so much as a "hiYa" either.
Cheeky sods! I've no idea where they came from or go to when I chase them out.
I never had cats come anywhere near my garden when I had Birds of Prey or Ferrets, I *think* I may have to re-invest :D

The garden would be good, I have the back door open, when its hot, a black and white one and a tabby type, just wanders in, not so much as a "hiYa" either.
Cheeky sods! I've no idea where they came from or go to when I chase them out.
I never had cats come anywhere near my garden when I had Birds of Prey or Ferrets, I *think* I may have to re-invest :D

Reminds me of our house about 15 years ago. At the time we did not have a cat or dog but a next door neighbour had about 9 cats. The cats were looked after very well but two of them didn't get on well with the others so would come across to us. It was fairly common during the summer to find either or both of these curled up on chairs in the conservatory.

It was a bit like having cats but without any responsibility.:)

Dave

It was a bit like having cats but without any responsibility.:)
Yeah that's not so bad, but if I hadn't noticed them creep upstairs or curl up behind the settee, and I lock up for the night,
and then start hearing noises in the middle of the night I'm gonna be reaching for the 1911 !
( joke. As a 12 bore will suffice :D )

Nice pics, but give me cats over dogs any given day, I'm far too lazy to ever commit to owning a doggie

We had cats using our garden as a toilet. I used everything recommended by other people and nothing worked. Eventually someone suggested white wine vinegar ( other vinegar should work too.)
I sprayed all the likely places they used ( freshly dug or clear earth) with a vinegar/water solution. It stopped the cats immediately.
Of course, they will then find a new piece that you didn't see, or just use the lawn so you need to persevere, perhaps every evening for a week or more before they decide to move somewhere else. Then a once weekly spray around for a while. We haven't had any in the garden since I did this in March.

I'm going to try the vinegar solution now, sounds good (y)

I have read about that as well, my sister has given me some chilli powder as it works well for her.

I tried chilli powder on my car aerial to stop foxes eating it - I had an older Saab with navigation, thus requiring a special antenna - the foxes seemed to like it as they did not touch any other aerial on our road... didn't work so all the supplies for the correct antenna at SaabParts fed our local foxes

Back