Street Performers - an open thread.

ACtC-3fd5V1mZ1M3LJVw2xskbRNzKOpAeKO62EZcZ91-XBwbFsV7sT7WkaK5y3-epaDa_1eqxeb0ohFO1PnsE45K3WqUEngsb0nQxhSzKQ8K1Xv1iN_wHNsKdR-lWbt22mAZSVjtMu3YFQnx0x_MheQ-xkevdg=w947-h867-no

It's not over until the fat man sings.
i-W5XP2Mv.jpg

The little virtuoso

i-kPrmCn9.jpg

Just William and Violet Elizabeth

i-f4sPpMN-XL.jpg

No Longer Available.

George.

Last edited:
Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a street performer with his Saxophone doing a bit of street playing.

X-H1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/300th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Street Performer (1) (M)-03465M by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a young lady with her guitar doing a bit of street playing.

X-H1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/150th @ F6.4, ISO-200, Handheld.
Street Performer (2) (M)-03476M by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a young lad with his Saxophone doing a bit of street playing.

X-H1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/750th @ F5, ISO-200, Handheld.
Street Performer (3)-03485 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

"IT MADE EXPLORE" :) :)

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a young lady with her Violin doing a bit of street playing.
I just love the look of concentration on this childs face.

X30, 1/60th @ F4, ISO-100, Handheld.
Street Performer (5)-03495 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

A couple from Bath in 2019.
The first one is a typical busker outside the Pump Rooms. I liked his sign :)
Bath---Busker.jpg
The second is a university student who stood like a statue for well over 30 minutes despite all the corny comments and jokes being fired at him - brilliant :)
Bath-Bicycle.jpg

"IT MADE EXPLORE" :) :)

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a young lady playing a Flute (I think), and accompanied by her dog. And yes I did ask if I could take the shot and naturally I put some money in her pot.

RX10M4, 1/320th @ F4.5, ISO-200, Handheld.
Street Performer (6)-03501 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK showing part of a Trombone that’s being played by someone in a Sally Army band.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this snap will be included.

RX10M4, 1/160th @ F4.5, ISO-160, Handheld.
Street Performer (7)-03505 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London Trafalgar Square UK of a guy with his guitar doing a bit of street playing.

RX10M4, 1/180th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Street Performer (8)-03519 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

The Gaiety Engine street performance company in Swindon, some years ago,,,

The Gaiety Engine in Swindon CAN_3972.JPG

Mime artist, Innsbruck...

Charlie Chaplin mime artist Innsbuck E-PL5 9070041.JPG

Sammy Jay. And I agree.

Absolutely Garry, she's great. Her father later came over and shared the mic for one song and he wasn't bad either.

I’m on the South Bank right now and just came across Sammy packing up. Missed hearing her set! :( Oh, well, next time.

No way? That's amazing coincidence. Damn, what a pity you missed her set Garry but looking at YouTube I think there'll be plenty of chances to catch her. :)

That's amazing coincidence.

Not that much of a coincidence. She’s often up the far end, by the London Eye, and often in Covent Garden. I’m in CG now, hoping she might have come over here, but I’m not going to hang around; I’ve got streets to shoot.

After her set on the South Back she sat chatting with her dog and a friend, or I’d have popped over and said hi. Not that I know her personally, but she’s seen me around with my camera.

BirmoQg.jpg

I’m on the South Bank right now and just came across Sammy packing up. Missed hearing her set! :( Oh, well, next time.

Tell me please Garry, Is the "South Bank" up & running again ie the refreshment stalls & wagons etc.

A lot of them are, George. I only had eyes for ice cream, so I didn’t look at all of them.:) Lots of people around today, and I expect it will be the same tomorrow.

Many thanks for that Garry, I'd like to get back there myself as I'm so missing my street photography, but unfortunately I'm out of action again as I managed to break my left thigh last Tuesday and my whole leg is in a plaster cast for a few weeks.

I'm out of action again as I managed to break my left thigh last Tuesday and my whole leg is in a plaster cast for a few weeks.

Ouch! Hope you have a speedy recovery George.

That's amazing coincidence.

Another amazing coincidence, Lee, and I'm glad you reminded me about Sammie. I went back down to the South Bank this afternoon and she was just setting up. I told her, without naming you, that you'd posted some photos and that we think she's better than anyone on X factor and The Voice. She said thanks. I asked if I could get some more photos and she was OK with that and asked me to send them to her. She then did one of the best sets I've ever heard from her. Her version of I Wanna Dance With Somebody is better than the original, IMO. And, even though I had the wrong lenses (27mm and 15-45 on the Fuji and 50mm on the Sony, where it really needed 135-200 just so I'm not in her face), it seemed as if it was a private concert, although she had 100-150 people watching and dancing along. You'll probably recognise her Dad in the last picture (with the shades), and that's her Mum on the bench, with her eyes closed.

If anyone doubts that she's as good as we're claiming, watch this video from 6 years ago:

Sammie Jay on the South Bank - 01
by Garry Knight, on Flickr

Sammie Jay on the South Bank - 02

Sammie Jay on the South Bank - 03

Sammie Jay on the South Bank - 04

Sammie Jay on the South Bank - 05

[Apologies for hijacking the thread, everybody. And for spelling Sammie's name wrong!]

Last edited:
Another amazing coincidence, Lee, and I'm glad you reminded me about Sammy. I went back down to the South Bank this afternoon and she was just setting up. I told her, without naming you, that you'd posted some photos and that we think she's better than anyone on X factor and The Voice. She said thanks. I asked if I could get some more photos and she was OK with that and asked me to send them to her. She then did one of the best sets I've ever heard from her. Her version of I Wanna Dance With Somebody is better than the original, IMO. And, even though I had the wrong lenses (27mm and 15-45 on the Fuji and 50mm on the Sony, where it really needed 135-200 just so I'm not in her face), it seemed as if it was a private concert, although she had 100-150 people watching and dancing along. You'll probably recognise her Dad in the last picture (with the shades), and that's her Mum on the bench, with her eyes closed.

If anyone doubts that she's as good as we're claiming, watch this video from 6 years ago:

Sammy Jay on the South Bank - 01

Sammy Jay on the South Bank - 02

Sammy Jay on the South Bank - 03

Sammy Jay on the South Bank - 04

Sammy Jay on the South Bank - 05

Hi Garry, that's awesome you got to see her perform today, what luck! Great photos too. I didn't realise that you were already familiar with her. I've only just got home myself, did 7 hours in the West End and St James Park, shooting a bit of street and some birds. It was a glorious day wasn't it. :). Probably could have met up with you to be honest! I was on my way to Leicester Square when you first replied that you were at the South Bank. Feel free to download and send her my photos too if you want. It's nice you got to have a few words with her and some cool looks to camera in three of your photos. Here's a couple more from yesterday of her with dad.

Sammie Jay 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Sammie Jay 3 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Last edited:
@Merlin5 & @garryknight

You two guys are p*****g me right off, I had intended to hit the smoke myself over the Easter weekend in the hopes there would be some decent candid street photography about and you two come out with these last shots. As it happens I'm unfortunately unable to participate for a time or two but that doesn't stop me wishing I could resume my favourite style of snapping. Great stuff guys keep up the good work. (y) (y)

Last edited:
Nice photos! I wish I'd heard her dad sing. She gave me her card (and a CD!) but it didn't have an email address on it. She might be reluctant to give it out.

No worries Garry, we got some nice pics though.

@Merlin5 & @garryknight

You two guys are p*****g me right off, I had intended to hit the smoke myself over the Easter weekend in the hopes there would be some decent candid street photography about and you two come out with these last shots. As it happens I'm unfortunately unable to participate for a time or two but that doesn't stop me wishing I could resume my favourite style of snapping. Great stuff guys keep up the good work. (y) (y)

Cheers George. Damn though, sorry about your leg, that sucks. Here's to you healing quickly. :) (y)

Cheers George. Damn though, sorry about your leg, that sucks. Here's to you healing quickly. :) (y)

Thank you Lee, appreciate your reply.

"I shouldn't be standing or trying to walk on it at the moment. They supplied me with a wheel chair though that I have been modifying and managed to fit a luggage rack on it from an old motor cycle that I once had. That should take a camera bag alright and I'm in the process at the moment of making a support for a camera to fit onto the chair. I've also had one of those e-scooter things delivered which is on charge as we speak and with a bit of luck I'm hoping I'll be able to stand on that and get about. Might even manage it without falling off" ;) :)

Last edited:
Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a young lady doing a bit of street singing.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this will be one of the shots included.

Street Performer (9)-03536 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Last edited:
Back