Street photography

Name
Jordie
Edit My Images
Yes
Im tempted to go get some shots in the town,

First time though, and wouldnt mind some pointers and tips, so I dont make a complete fool out of myself.

Thanks,
Jordie

Be brave and use a 200mm lens.

Don't photograph anyone that:

1. You can't beat in a fight.

or

2. You can't run faster than.

Hahahaha

Thats a bugger then, I dont have a 200mm, cant beat alot of people in a fight. Can run reasonably fast though :LOL:

Couple of good tips I read elsewhere on the forum were about taking the pic if you are nervous about peoples reactions were to click and then keep the camera on the same position as your subject moves out of frame or moving it slightly upwards, giving the illusion that you were actually looking to snap something behind/above them.

Seems like a sound tactic to use while building up your confidence. Best of luck with it as it's not something I've tried myself yet.

Thanks Gonetae. Might give that one a go after I have had my lunch :p

Be brave and use a 200mm lens.

Don't photograph anyone that:

1. You can't beat in a fight.

or

2. You can't run faster than.

Hahahaha

Is that a joke? I can understand why its used but you make it sound like thats a close length!

Its all about 50mm.

You'll miss a lot if you use 200mm! It's about getting what is coming your way, not way off down the road. 50mm is a good length, a lot of street photographers go even wider, especially if you want to get the subject's surroundings in to give the shots context, as the true street photographs do. I would say to start off using a standard zoom (18-55 ot 18-70) and then go from there once you establish your preferred focal length.

Keeping the camera to your eye and looking beyond your subject is a good tip as well. Come to the London Tag Team challenge on 1st March which Luke is organising, it'll be great fun and you'll learn loads. (y)

I'd love to come to that. But I have bugger all money =\

Seeming as im 16. I am having to odd jobs around the house to fork out money for the gigs i am going to over the coming month :(

I need a job really dont I

Couple of good tips I read elsewhere on the forum were about taking the pic if you are nervous about peoples reactions were to click and then keep the camera on the same position as your subject moves out of frame or moving it slightly upwards, giving the illusion that you were actually looking to snap something behind/above them.

Seems like a sound tactic to use while building up your confidence. Best of luck with it as it's not something I've tried myself yet.

:agree:

The longer you stay in one place and make out like you are ignoring people then they should hopefully just ignore you too.

Try shooting from the hip, walk about with your camera and take shots without even looking through the viewfinder, people will totally ignore you if they don't know you are taking pics of them. Expect a low keeper rate, this is pretty hit and miss but you will get the odd gem.

If your feeling lazy sit on a bench in a town centre and fiddle about with your camera, if you have liveview use that. Just don't make it obvious you are taking photos and you should get left in peace.

If your feeling lazy sit on a bench in a town centre and fiddle about with your camera, if you have liveview use that. Just don't make it obvious you are taking photos and you should get left in peace.

Indeed. Or even better, if you have a wireless remote, you can take the pics without putting your finger anywhere near the shutter.

Just get out and give it a try and dont let people bother you. Remember you are doing NOTHING to break the law.

Thanks guys for all he great advice. Im gunna have some fun after school tomorrow.

Not only is it for my own gain, but for my photography project.

Its not the people bugging me thats the problem. I remember taking some light trails and getting told off by the police for doing it.

Thanks again guys.
Jordie

yeah man, thats the best one... just carry on like they didnt exist. My only problem is people ducking out of my shot thinking they're in the way. when really I'm waiting for them to do just the right thing.

I only hold the camera at my hip and pre-set the focus, then stand there pretending to read the paper - covering the trigger and my thumb. This one is a little hit and miss though, but I've seen some good results.

Funny how it varies from place to place, when I was in Canada I took a load of street stuff with a 20mm prime, no one seemed remotely bothered! Not sure I'd be quite so confident doing that in my own town though :LOL:

Funny how it varies from place to place, when I was in Canada I took a load of street stuff with a 20mm prime, no one seemed remotely bothered! Not sure I'd be quite so confident doing that in my own town though :LOL:

Exactly, the further away I am the more confident I am!

Back