weekly StuartPearson 52 for 2021 - Week 52 - Showcase

Week 35 - Snapper's Choice

I debated whether to add this photo for the free week, does it have photographic merit, or is it more the limited efforts of a created scene? I don't know about anybody else but when looking at the scene I could see the composition I wanted but no matter what angle I used and lens on the camera it wasn't the same end result.

Bananaaaa!!
by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

Snappers - Not really sure what to think. I can see quite a bit of work went into this, but it doesn't jump out at me. Perhaps it's because the colours seem muted and more vibrancy might help?
Unnatural - To answer your question, no. Just the chalk marks.

Week 37 - Natural

This I would consider is a "Shoehorned" image, it's a single exposure with a two second shutter and as you can work out severely cropped (I don't think anyone needs to see the sofa in the living room!)

Natural talent or luck?? by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 38 - Autumn

A while since I've checked in on the site, the Autumn theme coincided with the loss of my 16 year old four legged assistant. Today was bittersweet in that I was out with my camera capturing Autumn which does happen later in Scotland, albeit without Cody in the local woods where we enjoyed many walks. I have however continued to complete the weekly themes as we follow them as part of the local camera club I am a member of, so look out in quick succession for my images to get me back up to date.

Milhall Reservoir
by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

That's right up my street. It's almost a photograph of nothing, but would look great, large in a frame. The grain really adds to it.

All great shots Stuart. I especially like the reflections in the reservoir shot, a skeleton always ticks box for me :rolleyes:, and I like the angles and lines of your underneath shot too.

That's right up my street. It's almost a photograph of nothing, but would look great, large in a frame. The grain really adds to it.
Thanks, here's some others I took of the pylon wire reflecting in the reservoir (unedited)
D01FB964-B1A9-4483-ACF1-7A70EFBD7EE8.jpeg

So many pictures to comment on! Well done for what is such a big catch up. I find it a bit of mountain to climb when the weeks start running away with you. The skeleton is my favorite one looks like hes having a good time!

Looked at the picture for RED and thought how appropriate for the theme 'Underneath' then I realised it was for RED...then also remembered my German was wrong as Uber means 'above' (and would have an umlaut). Hey ho.

Last edited:
Great idea. Well executed. Wish I'd thought of it :)

Nice set of catch ups Stuart. I especially like the Culture shot.

Great catch up. Lots to like… I also like Culture with the shadows really adding interest. Also Still Life stands out - is it a reflection?

Great catch up. Lots to like… I also like Culture with the shadows really adding interest. Also Still Life stands out - is it a reflection?
Thanks, looks like still life is both a reflection and shadows based on this description I found:
Shadows and reflections are the effects of light. Shadows are formed when objects block a source of light. ... Reflections are caused by light bouncing off objects.

The photo is of a grey cardboard sheet which has the shape of two glasses and a bottle projected on to it by a torch shining at them.

Week 50 - Miniscule

Revisiting my jar of tiny shells for miniscule, tried to create the shape of a shell using a template under glass but didn't look right, so went with plan B.

Shells by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nicely shot, and a interesting and unusual composition. Very nice!

Beautiful shot Stuart, is it a composite? It looks like the bottom half is ICM and the top is a static shot. I like it.

Beautiful shot Stuart, is it a composite? It looks like the bottom half is ICM and the top is a static shot. I like it.
Thanks, its a bit of everything, the original images were taken to produce a Pep Ventosa style composite which was 12 images from each front angle of The Major Oak in Sherwood Forest. However it was very lopsided so I took the straight on single image and replicated it with a vertical mirror applied at a reduced opacity. I recently entered the image at that stage into an internal competition at the camera club I'm a member of where the judge said the sky was blown out and gave it 14. I agree it was and I should have adjusted before submitting it, the image added here has a sky replacement carried out on it.

That's really arty Stuart and has a lovely feel to it. Thanks for sharing how you got it.

Seasonal is very appropriate. We could all do with eating more seasonal veg, and Minuscule fits the theme really well.
Amazing catch up, well done.
All the best for 2022

That's really arty Stuart and has a lovely feel to it. Thanks for sharing how you got it.

Seasonal is very appropriate. We could all do with eating more seasonal veg, and Minuscule fits the theme really well.
Amazing catch up, well done.
All the best for 2022
Thanks, I like to think I manage to think "outside the box" for some of my theme entries, whether it's always a success is open to question. Looking forward to seeing what everyone creates during the upcoming year, who knows, maybe some gifts from Santa will feature at some point.
All the best for 2022 and let's hope that the only exposure we soon need to worry about relates to photography.

I love the tree.. a semi-abstract that creates a lovely image. Nice end to the 52 and well done!

Great image to finish on, and a very interesting technique. Well done for making it through!

That’s a really interesting image, I thought it was a painting at first. I can almost ”see” a person in the tree with their arms in the air. Could just be my vivid imagination after a couple of beers!

Back