Sunni's 52 - Better late than never!

Name
Sunni
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought it'd be interesting to post my best picture every week here, and then look back at it a year from now to see how I've developed. Having only started taking pictures three months ago I have a lot to learn, so hopefully there should be some progress from the first to the last post!

I'll start with Week 13, as that's when I got my camera. Naturally, my first subject was my lovely cat :) Lesson learnt: Don't over sharpen images! This one is too sharp.

3068698-5-wilson.jpg

Last edited:
Week 14 - and the subject is still Wilson the cat :) Lesson learnt: Don't cut the cat's ears off!

3410006870_1fb5f6de24_o.jpg

Last edited:
Week 15 and it's still Wilson - proudly posing having caught his first mouse! :D Lesson learnt: Watch out for a blue cast when using auto white balance and correcting it later. This picture is way too blue.

3712593601_85b96fb023.jpg

Last edited:
Week 16 and finally something other than cats! Silhouetted pigeons this time.
Lesson learnt: Images go grainy if you fiddle to much with them..

3455532857_5b4cc5ac2b_o.jpg

Last edited:
I have nothing for Week 17, so skipping to Week 18 and we have .. a bug!
Lesson learnt: My garden provides limited opportunities for bug shooting.

3068675-3-ladybug.jpg

Last edited:
Week 19 and another bug. Think this was the week before I bough extension tubes.
Lesson learnt: Shield bugs use spider webs to help them climb!

3068632-3-shield-bug-green.jpg

Last edited:
Week 20 and London Zoo time! Bought my 55 - 200 VR specifically for this :) Pretty much the only shot I liked from the day was this crocodile.
Lesson learnt: When going to the zoo, pick one or two animals to concentrate on rather than trying to cover everything.

3083943-4-croc-ii.jpg

Last edited:
Week 21 and I'm experimenting with a feather and waterdrops.
Lesson learnt: Getting nice reflections in a drop is really really hard!

3085382-4-drops-on-feather.jpg

3712650059_d5ac10e808.jpg

Last edited:
Week 22 and going to the WHF with TP! A fantastic day, great fun and beautiful animals. My favourite from the day is this of the snow leopard.
Lesson learnt: Be careful with overprocessing the pictures in PS, and watch the saturation!

3168494-4-snow-leopard-on-the-prowl.jpg

Edit: Thought I'd add in a recent re-do of this picture, as I was never happy with the first version.

3168494-5-snow-leopard-on-the-prowl.jpg

Last edited:
Week 23 and I took my camera to work. Found this little duckling swimming around :)

Lesson learnt: This thin black border isn't working for me.

3197403-3-duckling.jpg

Last edited:
Week 24 and it's kite flying day in Greenwich, this is my favourite from the day. Lesson learnt: try to include some of the ground to give a sense of scale.

3254066-3-kites-in-a-row.jpg

Last edited:
Week 25 and I spent the day at Beachy Head. Beautiful place and the weather was great. This is my favourite from the day.

Lesson learnt: When shooting landscapes, try to include people in it as this often makes it better.

3299736-4-beachy-head.jpg

Last edited:
Week 26 and I've got my all-manual nifty fifty. This shot was taken at f1.8 I think, and I'm still getting used to manual focus. Liking it though!
Lesson learnt: Manual focus is very very hard. What looks sharp in the viewfinder isn't necessarily sharp in the picture. If taking a picture of something with eyes, ensure focus is on the eyes - don't look at the overall sharpness of the image. Oh, and taking pictures of flowers is not very exciting for me.

3713541900_869a113310.jpg

Last edited:
Week 27 and I'm in Dungeness, a beautiful and strange place. Lesson learnt: When going to desolate places, hire a car. Or better yet, buy one of those cute little italian ones :D

3368298-4-boat-at-dungeness.jpg

Last edited:
Week 28 and I'm doing a day course called 'Environmental portraits', basically about taking pictures of people working. I wasn't happy with any of the portraits I took, but quite liked this one from a demonstration I came across. Got some very useful feedback on it in another thread and will try to change it to make it more balanced.
Lesson learnt: Don't accept brownies from random people having a demonstration! Oh, and using more than f1.8 when taking pictures of more than one person will help ensure they're all in focus :)

3403101-3-v-for.jpg

Edit: Added the new version of this, which I think works better:

3409161-2-untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Great set, and very insteresting too.

Love the bugs and kites, and the croc is stunning.

Re the demonstraters, we has a load of them wndering round East Grinstead yesterday - I beleive they are "Anonymous", an Anti Scientology group. We had them last year too, and they upset a lot of people, myself insluded. I am all for people voicing their opinions and protesting etc, but climbing all over the war memorial was too much. That said I think they were better behaved this year.

Back OT, keep up the great work and look forward to seeing more!

Thanks Rob, and thanks for the info on the protesters. When I met them they were very well behaved and friendly!

:)

Week 29 and I'm off work with a cold :(. Was planning to go to Scott Kelby's annual photowalk in London, but wasn't feeling well enough. Had to settle for this shot of the bug that has been eating my flowers in the garden :bang:
Lesson learnt: None, really! But I've realised that my nifty fifty is fast becoming my favourite lens, despite (or perhaps because of) it being fully manual, including no metering. :)

3435413-2-red-bug.jpg

Some really interesting shots - I particularly like the edited version of the street demonstration for it's graphic qualities, and Beachy Head for the inclusion of the lighthouse and the people on top of the cliffe which both give scale to, and emphasise the sheerness of the cliffe face.

Looking forward to seeing lots more in this thread. (y)

Jean

Thank you for your comments, Jean and Toothie :)

Last week life got in the way and I took no pictures, and it will most likely be the same for this week as well. :(

Next week however, I'll be going on a week-long holiday to Norway and am planning to get some shots of the mountains, the sea, the puffins, and of my dad's new Mitsubishi 3000GT - which is apparently a nice car, at least I'm told it gets a lot of attention. Not that I know anything about cars, or is even remotely interested :LOL:

Should be fun though! Will post some pictures to make up for the last two weeks when I get back :)

Some really intersting pictures here. You´re certainly not sticking to one theme or subject. :)

I like the demonstrators, Beachy Head, Duckling, Feather with water droplets. In fact I like most of them :clap::clap::clap:

Thank you Bruja, glad you like them :) I've only been taking pictures since March, so I'm still at that stage where you want to try everything. I guess I'll settle on one or two things eventually, but for now it's fun to do a bit of everything :)

I felt really bad about not having taken a picture for last week, so I've dug out another from Beachy Head that I'd not got around to processing before.

3510241-2-sea-and-sky.jpg

This has an almost abstract feel to it and the colours are very soothing. (y)

Not sure the black top and bottom does it any favours though and the horizon looks a little out of line but that might just be an optical illusion due to the different depths of blue on each side of the picture.

Thanks Bruja, yes I think the horizon is a little off.. will have to go back and fix that at some point. Thanks for spotting it :)

This has an almost abstract feel to it and the colours are very soothing. (y)

Not sure the black top and bottom does it any favours though and the horizon looks a little out of line but that might just be an optical illusion due to the different depths of blue on each side of the picture.

:agree:

I also like the feeling that the sun is just about to break through the clouds. :)

Jean

Gosh, it's been ages since I updated this post!

Turns out it's too much work to update this, Redbubble, and Flickr so I've decided to start a photoblog instead..

It's here if anyone's interested :)

Back