Surface type devices?

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
so I currently have an IPad which is getting long in the tooth, it’s getting time to replace it and I’m thinking a new iPad is maybe not the best option.

I also have a work Surface Pro 4, and in an ideal world, I’d buy one for home, but it’s a well specked model and the budget won’t stretch.

I like the idea of having access to the PC’s files which isn’t practical on the iPad.

So has anyone any experience of other tablet PCs? What’s a bargain? What’s to be avoided?

Probably looking to spend £500 ish.

I’m thinking a new iPad is maybe not the best option.

I have the iPad Air II that I use mainly in two ways
  1. it shows what I have in the portfolio to clients
  2. beside the table top, in studio, to control both
    the camera and studio flashes
I have been most happy with its performance… but I
know nothing of the Surface solution. Sorry Phil. :(

I find Android tablets more flexible when it comes to working with files compared to an iPad. It also allows the use of a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard whereas the iPad, only a keyboard.

If you want complete workability of your PC files a Windows based tablet would probably be your best bet, but they are expensive as you say - for the spec you get.

I have the iPad Air II that I use mainly in two ways
  1. it shows what I have in the portfolio to clients
  2. beside the table top, in studio, to control both
    the camera and studio flashes
I have been most happy with its performance… but I
know nothing of the Surface solution. Sorry Phil. :(
I have an iPad Air.
It’s a great tablet, but having used the Surface Pro I feel I’m missing out.

Current favourite is the Samsung Galaxy book.

Ah, I have the little 10.6" Galaxy Book and it's very good for what it is but has a pitifully small SSD. I think the larger 12" model must be worth considering (better screen & CPU, more RAM & SSD) but it wouldn't fit in the tablet slot of my camera bag....

Last edited:
The surface pro stuff is ok, I have one on my desk which I use for the current contract I am on, it is the clients preferered desktop solution which is odd.
personally if I was you I would take the surface you have at base out on tour and replace the home unit with a half decent laptop

What about something like a Lenovo Yoga laptop/notebook? Can be used as a laptop, tablet etc and comes with touchscreen (which works rather well). I never thought I needed a touchscreen on a laptop until I got one! I've had mine now for around 2 years and so far so good :) (doesn't get hammered but does get used!). Battery life is ok, I get around 4 to 6 hours depending on what I'm doing. Runs LR & PS without issue too and the screen is decent enough.

Rocking a Surface Book with performance base, absolutely love it!

so I currently have an IPad which is getting long in the tooth, it’s getting time to replace it and I’m thinking a new iPad is maybe not the best option.

I also have a work Surface Pro 4, and in an ideal world, I’d buy one for home, but it’s a well specked model and the budget won’t stretch.

I like the idea of having access to the PC’s files which isn’t practical on the iPad.

So has anyone any experience of other tablet PCs? What’s a bargain? What’s to be avoided?

Probably looking to spend £500 ish.
It’s rumoured (in New York Times today - sorry no link) that MS are expected to bring out cheaper Surface versions to compete with iPads,
Edit to add: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-to-try-to-make-a-cheap-surface-tablet-again/

Last edited:
The surface pro stuff is ok, I have one on my desk which I use for the current contract I am on, it is the clients preferered desktop solution which is odd.
personally if I was you I would take the surface you have at base out on tour and replace the home unit with a half decent laptop
Unfortunately the Surface pro belongs to my employer, whilst I’d love to use it for my own business, it’s a sackable offence, and I need that pension. ;)

What about the Dell Latitude 2in1range. never tried one myself but know they are available and iPad kind of pricing.

Last edited:
What about the Dell Latitude 2in1range. never tried one myself but know they are available and iPad kind of pricing.
Nice, high spec refurbs available for a good price.

Dell Inspiron 3000 or 5000 in 13.3” format.
1920x1080p IPS panel.
2in1 design allowing for tablet mode
I3 or i5 CPU (recommend the latter)
1tb hdd or 256gb SSD (recommend the latter)
Chassis slightly different between 3000 and 5000 variants but other than they they are identical.

Bar the fact it isn’t a surface it’s internals are of the same quality and the panel is a delight after a calibration.

I too have a surface pro 2017 (pro 5 if the followed naming strategy) and the dell laptop is as close as anything to the same thing really.

After running a quick bunch of tests against my surface, the dell cpu is 6% faster, the ram is negligible, the SSD is the surface is quicker but again you would be hard pushed to tell the difference.

F871A844-8FFA-4CE2-9222-A9FAEE4DEFC3.jpeg

C3FCD8EE-A926-4608-BF4D-EF41E117816E.jpeg

First image shows size against a 28” 4k panel in the middle and the surface to the right.

For comparison purposes I also have an iPad Pro 12.9 2017 too and can put them all side by side.

Again, highly recommended! Superb battery life, great screen, very quick and very well made.

Last edited:
Current favourite is the Samsung Galaxy book.

Used to have the galaxy note and it was a good tablet, what really let it down was Samsung’s shorter update cycle - it stopped getting updates within a couple of years whereas I believe Apple support for 4.

Dell Inspiron 3000 or 5000 in 13.3” format.
1920x1080p IPS panel.
2in1 design allowing for tablet mode
I3 or i5 CPU (recommend the latter)
1tb hdd or 256gb SSD (recommend the latter)
Chassis slightly different between 3000 and 5000 variants but other than they they are identical.

Bar the fact it isn’t a surface it’s internals are of the same quality and the panel is a delight after a calibration.

I too have a surface pro 2017 (pro 5 if the followed naming strategy) and the dell laptop is as close as anything to the same thing really.

After running a quick bunch of tests against my surface, the dell cpu is 6% faster, the ram is negligible, the SSD is the surface is quicker but again you would be hard pushed to tell the difference.

First image shows size against a 28” 4k panel in the middle and the surface to the right.

For comparison purposes I also have an iPad Pro 12.9 2017 too and can put them all side by side.

Again, highly recommended! Superb battery life, great screen, very quick and very well made.

Interesting, it looks great value, but a bit bigger and I think I’m struck on the form factor of the SP, rather than the ‘2 in1’ that’s really a laptop with a 180 deg folding screen.

Refurbed they’re close to budget, but new they’re closer in price to the SP. :thinking:

Used to have the galaxy note and it was a good tablet, what really let it down was Samsung’s shorter update cycle - it stopped getting updates within a couple of years whereas I believe Apple support for 4.
You're assuming the Book is an Android tablet when it's actually a Windows10 PC.

Refurbed they’re close to budget, but new they’re closer in price to the SP. :thinking:
Strange ... last night when I looked (I'm sure) there were new ones much cheaper than when I looked today!

Last edited:
Interesting, it looks great value, but a bit bigger and I think I’m struck on the form factor of the SP, rather than the ‘2 in1’ that’s really a laptop with a 180 deg folding screen.

Both the dell Inspiron and the latitude are the same in terms of overall spec. The latitude just has a more business sharpness to it. As for size, they aren’t too different and only marginally bigger than the SP. I’ve added a pic for reference.

18C12AC5-0637-48F1-89AB-E497A3B1AFC5.jpeg

CEE1BC6F-B4FC-41A4-B0F2-E2E0DEAAE566.jpeg

I had mine up for same (the dell) but after some consideration I’ve decided to get rid of some larger laptops and bits instead. The dell really is that good and honestly, if I had to choose between the two, I’d say the colour accuracy on the dell is better than the surface, and it although synthetically is only 6% faster than the SP feels much quicker as the thermal design allows for it to run hotter for longer so throttling is used far less.

Where abouts are you based? If I’m ever passing I wouldn’t mind dropping it in so you can have a play and that way you will know if it’s for you. Think of it as more a surface book than a surface pro, just without the facility to detach the KB!

Just checked, your only about 20mins up the road!

Back