Swapping of Lightroom versions between two different Windows 10 boxes

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a plan in my own mind of how I'm going to achieve this but, being open-minded and less stubborn these days, I wonder if anybody has done this and wouldn't mind sharing their process.

Simply stated I now have a room more conducive to editing but it only has Lightroom 5.xx? installed with a catalogue of 60,000+ images imported from a NAS. On another machine, which is slightly less powerful, I have the latest Lightrooom CC installed. This has my working catalogue and images which I dump to a NAS about every three months. Each machine has oodles of Disk space and I'm happy to copy all the images across on each computer.

Have you ever done it? How did you manage it? Is it going to be worth the pain?

Thoughts please ???

Last edited:
Why would you not put lightroom CC on both? Don't know how you'd go about sharing the catalogue though, that's never been easy.

Easiest is to have Classic CC on both, you are allowed 2 installations, the catalogue can be shared between them in several ways. I have my catalogue on my main external HD (with two other backups) and can swap between my laptop and desktop, unfortunately LR will not access the catalogue on an NAS. I suppose another option (I have not tried it) is to have the catalogue and associated files on a good sized memory stick which you can swap around.

Good answers!

Unfortunately I forgot to explain..... Mrs. Chuckles has the second Lightroom CC on her machine, along with Photoshop. There'd be hell to pay if that went.

I looked at using synctoy to copy the LR catalogue about, but never actually went that way. Got too paranoid about overwriting a live session's DB with a scripted sync to let it run. It's a real pain windows can't handle proper database file locking semantics on a cifs share, that would always have been the obvious choice otherwise.

I think you can have two versions of Lightroom on one computer can't you? I think I still have my Lightroom 5 on mine as well as CC - I'll have to check. They would have to use different catalogues though - although photos could be in both I guess. Could get confusing!

I think you can have two versions of Lightroom on one computer can't you? I think I still have my Lightroom 5 on mine as well as CC - I'll have to check. They would have to use different catalogues though - although photos could be in both I guess. Could get confusing!

Yes - you're quite correct. I suppose I could just install LR5.xx on this machine and then 'relinquish' the CC license. For various reasons I have different images on each of the machines which will also need to be swapped if the catalogues are to remain current and valid.

I agree about the confusion - but it's mostly of my doing!

Yes you can. No shared catalogue though. If you accidentally open the old catalogue with the new version it inconveniently upgrades it for you ...

Yes you can. No shared catalogue though. If you accidentally open the old catalogue with the new version it inconveniently upgrades it for you ...

Grrr! Still not to worry - thanks for taking the trouble to check.

Do you know if the binaries exist anywhere to upgrade 5 to the last, standalone, unsubscribed version 6.... I missed it and Adobe weren't too eager to let anybody have them (for some reason!)

Last edited:
I believe it will ask before it upgrades the catalogue to the new version, and in any case it still leaves the old version there.

I was thinking more that maybe Mrs Chuckles wouldn't mind if you put LR CC on her computer as well as LR5.

You can only update 5 to 6 if you have a code to do so, regardless of whether you can obtain the installers. Adobe won't sell you one any more but you can, theoretically, buy used ones.

You can only update 5 to 6 if you have a code to do so, regardless of whether you can obtain the installers. Adobe won't sell you one any more but you can, theoretically, buy used ones.

Yes, I was aware of this but I believe there was an interim version which included "Dehaze" and was usable from a paid for version 5 license. Version went to CC but not straight from iteration 1 - could be wrong though.

No, there's no dehaze in "subscription free" LR at all. Or at least, the code for it was introduced in LR6.10 (ish) but no UI element was added, ever, you have to control it via presets. I doubt the code ever went into LR5 as that predates dehaze in Photoshop by some time.

Last edited:
fyi, u can have more than 2 installs but only 2 active at anyone time. i have it on 4 machines myself and it just brings up a simple prompt to sign out and re-register. Must have swapped over 60+ times so far :)

Yep.... I have to admit. I've just confirmed this :)

Would've been good to to have the catalogue on the NAS but, hey-ho

Thanks for everyone's help

:ty:

Back