T90...

Yes, from all the feedback so far, it looks like I will treat myself to a T90. The main opinion is that it is a good camera and well worth having. Some had owned one and then regretted selling it. As regards 'dry firing' the shutter to stop the magnets jamming, I think that applies to most cameras(even without magnets) - if stored take it out now and again and release the shutter to keep the shutter blades in condition.
Canon T90 -- oil on the rear of the shutter blades. Best way to clean it off ? Advisable or not ? One suggestion I have seen is a cotton bud with lighter fluid, but I would not attempt that myself. What does the presence of oil on the blades indicate ?

erm heard of oil on blades of lenses e.g. Kiron....well if it's just a smear on the T90 I would ignore it as you really don't want to damage the blades poking around with cotton buds......also for others:- the T90 is probably not on the collectors list because it has to be used (not stored in a cabinet) so there are bargains to be had with less competition.

Yes, from all the feedback so far, it looks like I will treat myself to a T90. The main opinion is that it is a good camera and well worth having. ....

Despite mine having locked up - yes it is a very, very good camera and I will pay the £80 to get it fixed when I can afford it. I think you should buy it on the understanding that there is a fair chance that it will lock up eventually and budget for that possibility.

Incidentally I fired my camera on high speed at least once every two weeks and it still locked up with the permanent EEE/help error that is so common.

Incidentally I fired my camera on high speed at least once every two weeks and it still locked up with the permanent EEE/help error that is so common.

HUH! That's bad news as I only use my T90 for special occasions mainly with the 300TL flashgun, for general photography most of my other cameras are good enough (well for my level).

BTW did you see this on the bay... and I'm just the messenger:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220758883517&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

I am offering a complete overhaul and repair to any T90 for just £35.00 excluding postage back. Having been trained at Canon many years ago on the T90 I have literally repaired hundreds from all over the world. Any fault can be done whether it be the EEE, not firing, completely dead or been dropped with a broken bodycasting. I have many spares available and I can bring any camera back to life. Please email me for more details at lowej7@sky.com. Thank you.

Last edited:
excalibur2, Thank you for that information re the T90 repair man. I saw it myself a few days back, but did not make a note of it, Tried since then to re-find details but was unsuccessful. Have now made a note with a pen and a piece of paper - much better than a computer- until I go searching for the piece of paper.:LOL:
Yesterday there was a T90 on eeb... with the 50mm 1.4 lens. Tried to get it when the bidding was at £50, however, bidding rose and it finally went for about £100. I suppose the golden nugget was the 1.4 lens. I hope none of you crafty b..gers got it.:(
Still on the lookout for one - one day my ship will come in, .... with a T90 aboard.

excalibur2, Thank you for that information re the T90 repair man. I saw it myself a few days back, but did not make a note of it, Tried since then to re-find details but was unsuccessful. Have now made a note with a pen and a piece of paper - much better than a computer- until I go searching for the piece of paper.:LOL:
Yesterday there was a T90 on eeb... with the 50mm 1.4 lens. Tried to get it when the bidding was at £50, however, bidding rose and it finally went for about £100. I suppose the golden nugget was the 1.4 lens. I hope none of you crafty b..gers got it.:(
Still on the lookout for one - one day my ship will come in, .... with a T90 aboard.

Nope - my snipe was set at £90 :(

I hope all you lot are not going to copy ambermile and want a T90 - that will deplete the market for all us photography afficianados. The one that went, I had to go out at 3.30pm and had set the computer on sleep for that auction. Got back in at 4.10pm and did not have time to 'adjust' my thoughts and price level ! If I had had an extra 10 minutes to weigh things up I might have tried to to the whole hog to acquire it. As they say,"there are plenty more birds in the sea, or a fish in the hand is worth two in the bush.":bonk:

Don't forget FFordes guys, maybe a bit more expensive but surely they must give a guarantee:-

Body only £69, but the shop doesn't say much about it....erm
http://www.ffordes.com/product/10072316352725

Ffordes are pretty good, if you give them a call they'll describe the camera properly, and you can ask all the salient questions before flashing the plastic.

Yes, thanks for the Ffordes link, and I have just had a look at the £69 one. They also have one at £89, and it looks a bit better. Decisions, decisions.

Yes, thanks for the Ffordes link, and I have just had a look at the £69 one. They also have one at £89, and it looks a bit better. Decisions, decisions.

Well they are not bargains, so if you can play the waiting game a T90 with a few lenses and 300tl flashgun will probably turn up eventually on the bay, on gumtree, or members selling gear on forums, and so on.
.....in the meantime a T70 is nice and cheap, it's my most used camera and have two. ;)

excalibur2. The T90 is way ahead of the other T models in looks, etc. I would not think of going anywhere with other than a T90 hanging from my neck. Did not the T80 get voted as the worst Canon camera ever ? It looked damned ugly, and was it not brought out before the T90 ? Yes, I will keep looking and hopefully come up with a good T90 and a nice lens.

Just acquired a T90 with the 50mm f1.8 lens, and it has been well looked after, so it should be with me through the week. One on ebay, this afternoon Sunday, 12 th went for £50.00 (no lens with it.) It looked a beauty. I had to go out at 1.50pm, and got back in when there were 38 secs to go. Again, like last Thursday, did not have time to settle down and get my brain in gear.

Just acquired a T90 with the 50mm f1.8 lens, and it has been well looked after, so it should be with me through the week. One on ebay, this afternoon Sunday, 12 th went for £50.00 (no lens with it.) It looked a beauty. I had to go out at 1.50pm, and got back in when there were 38 secs to go. Again, like last Thursday, did not have time to settle down and get my brain in gear.

Nice.....and don't forget the Adaptall 2 and M42 "P" adapters (they go cheap). Canon are one of the most versatile cameras out for MF lenses, and the range of lenses are from wow to VG, only spoilt by a couple of cheap zooms.

excalibur2, and ambermile, I received theT90 this morning and it looks the part. I was now going to ask you for details of some of the workings of it, although I have the basics worked out. There was not a manual with the camera. However, I have gone through this thread again, and saw your link(excalibur2) re the manual. I have just had a look at the link so I can now fathom everything out eventually.
One other point which either of you might clear up for me concerns the flashgun. Am I correct in assuming that the 300TL is the gun to use with it, as another, (the 299TL is it ?) will not allow full use of the T90's flash capabilities ?

300TL is the one to get for the t90 - the 299T is more for the other T series cameras, plus the A1/F1 range.

TheBigYin, Message received and understood. Will comply.(y) Whilst 'researching' re the T90, before buying, I came across that little bit of information somewhere, and it stuck with me. If the wife will not give me the money for a 300TL, could you loan me it -, and I will pay you back 6p a week + interest, as I am a pensioner.:D

***300TL is the one to get for the t90***

...and you will get piles reading the user guide in the toilet about what it can do and how to use it...for me as I use many cameras I have to keep going back to the user guides for the T90 with 300TL to refresh my memory on use.

Yes, may eventually get a 300TL. Not immediately necessary. Got myself a 35-105 Canon FD lens yesterday for below £40, and in mint condition.
If any one is interested in such a lens, as they are described, and acknowledged as, one of the best FD lenses produced, there are 2 now on ebay. Don't all rush at once.

Last edited:
Got myself a 35-105 Canon FD lens yesterday for below £40, and in mint condition.
If any one is interested in such a lens, as they are described, and acknowledged as, one of the best FD lenses produced, there are 2 now on ebay. Don't all rush at once.

Thanks but my Kiron 28mm-105 is very good..don't fancy paying £40 plus for a zoom (well unless there is a "L" in the spec).

So I just received a T90 from eBay, which was described as being in "very nice condition" and the shutter won't fire. Not with the EEE error, but a flashing arrow by the SINGLE mark on the LED.

From a quick google, I'm guessing this isn't an easy fix. Any suggestions before I think about returning it? :(

[brand new batteries, BTW]

Last edited:
Sorry, can't help Musicman. Perhaps the 'long-in-the tooth' Canon FD lovers here will be able to help. But keep us posted as to what the fault is and if it can be fixed.

Found this on a site.

Re: Blinking arrow on T90 main lcd. I have found that this indication is usually symptoms of a dirty mg2, mirror release magnet. This can be cleaned by any camera repair facility and usually gets done in a CLA. Give steven40@aol.com a shout or try www.mcvr.com, both of which have repaired T90's for me.
Incidently if your batteries are low the camera will typically be shooting in HS and shift to LS and show the blinking arrow indicating that it is time to change them. The camera will still function though. Hope this helps

So I just received a T90 from eBay, which was described as being in "very nice condition" and the shutter won't fire. Not with the EEE error, but a flashing arrow by the SINGLE mark on the LED.

From a quick google, I'm guessing this isn't an easy fix. Any suggestions before I think about returning it? :(

The service manual also suggests an excessive load on the diaphragm (see right hand column)

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=111583&cat=500

Maybe try another lens on it?

Last edited:
Ta. It came with a 50mm f/1.8 of uncertain status.

I'll give it a go with one of my other lenses.

Found this on a site.

Re: Blinking arrow on T90 main lcd. I have found that this indication is usually symptoms of a dirty mg2, mirror release magnet. This can be cleaned by any camera repair facility and usually gets done in a CLA. Give steven40@aol.com a shout or try www.mcvr.com, both of which have repaired T90's for me.
Incidently if your batteries are low the camera will typically be shooting in HS and shift to LS and show the blinking arrow indicating that it is time to change them. The camera will still function though. Hope this helps

West Virginia? :eek:

Know anywhere closer to home? I'm wondering if that chap, Miles Whitehead, in Kent does T90s. :cautious:

Apart from the obvious fault, it is otherwise very clean and everything seems in order. Even has all the paint on the hotshoe (in retrospect, possibly a bad sign with a T90 :D)

Brand new Duracells out of the box, so I doubt it's a battery issue.

edit: I've just sent Miles an email to find out, and Newton Ellis up in Merseyside advertise T90 shutter repairs.

Last edited:

I wouldn't even think about returning it, I'd just do it. Newton Ellis quoted me £80 +VAT for repair of my T90 with the 'EEE' jammed shutter fault. I'm not convinced that these things are worth fixing. How long before it goes wrong again? I can't rely on a camera that throws a hissy fit unless you fire the shutter once a week. There are just so many reports of the 'EEE' fault, it seems that they all exhibit it eventually. I wish I'd bought an F1 instead.

.................................... Got myself a 35-105 Canon FD lens yesterday for below £40, and in mint condition..................

out of interest ..was that the f3.5 version..or the f3.5-4.5.....?...:thinking:

Yardbent, It was the 3.5/4.5 version. I thought the 3.5 version was the better one, yet checking some lists which were current in the early 1990s, the 3.5/4.5 version was dearer than the 3.5 lens. Does that mean the 3.5/4.5 was the better lens ?

Yardbent, It was the 3.5/4.5 version. I thought the 3.5 version was the better one, yet checking some lists which were current in the early 1990s, the 3.5/4.5 version was dearer than the 3.5 lens. Does that mean the 3.5/4.5 was the better lens ?

Not by a country mile...

the f3.5 was launched in 1981 at a price of 59,000 yen and is one of those products you use and say "why wasn't this a L lens" - the 3.5/4.5 was put out 4 years later as a lightweight walkabout lens alternative to the f3.5, at a greatly reduced (allowing for inflation!) price of 43,800 yen.

Using an analogy of modern lenses it's a bit like comparing the EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and a EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II USM

The only thing that the variable Aperture version has going for it, is it's considerably lighter than the f3.5 - all that big wide glass in the f3.5 made it a very heavy beast for a FD lens.

Fred...sorry but the £40 was the clue

FDn 35-105mm 3.5 usually sell for £60+ [usually]...mine was mint at £66
although some lucky savvy bujjers here have got one for less
eBay Dealers are listing at £99

from FDReview.com (c) ....here's a good reference to FD lenses........''link''

the 3.5 version is ''here''....rated 9.5..:clap:

TheBigYin, and Yardbent, thanks for the details. I thought I had got a well praised lens. I will possibly go for the 3.5 eventually. Had a quick look at the 2 links you posted, and will give them a 'good looking at' later on today.

Well, as it was otherwise nearly mint, I've decided to keep the eBay T90 and get it repaired by Miles Whitehead, who's quoted me £45 for a service and recalibration, including sorting out the magnets. The seller has agreed to refund half the £45 it cost me (less a fiver postage). The FDn 50mm f/1.8 that accompanied it can go for sale as I have too many of them. I should have a very tidy, working camera with a recent full service for about £50 when all's done.

Fingers crossed...

the 3.5 version is ''here''....rated 9.5..:clap:

I'd go with that. If I put it on the front of my Panasonic G2, I swear it can come close to an EF 70-200 f/2.8L on my 5D in performance - with an almost identical equivalent zoom range and 12 Mpx pixel count. To be sure, it's only the centre portion of the lens, but rather more demanding of its resolution at 2x crop.

I think i've "bigged up" the 35-105 f3.5 more than anything except the EOS-3 body within F&C. I bought one for my original AE-1prog, and was knocked out with it back then. It was on the AE-1p when the camera was nicked - along with the van it was in, and the Pace RC100 mountainbike and pile of muddy sweaty race kit that was in the back. To say that was an expensive day at the races would have been an understatement!

When I aquired the A-1, pretty much my first thought was to try and get hold of another 35-105 f3.5 - took me nearly 6 months of patient sniping and careful searches for mis-typed descriptions, but I eventually picked one up for less than most of the dedicated lens-hoods are going for. Oh - and it had the original front/rear caps/original hood and a Hoya skylight that'd been on the lens from new I think!

Back