A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
Just arrived today - got it cheap because "The AF does not work..."

No, really :D

Cheeky bugger Arthur :p

The Canon T90, introduced in 1986, was the top of the line in Canon's T series of 35 mm Single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras. It was the last professional-level manual-focus camera from Canon, and the last professional camera to use the Canon FD lens mount. Although it was overtaken by the autofocus revolution and Canon's new, incompatible EOS (Electro-Optical System) after only a year in production, the T90 pioneered many concepts seen in high-end Canon cameras up to the present day, particularly the user interface, industrial design, and the high level of automation

Good ol' Wikipedia would of solved the sellers problems fairly quick lmao :p... that said the first result for "t90" on wikipedia could of confused matters...

he T-90 is a Russian main battle tank (MBT) derived from the T-72, and is currently the most modern tank in service with the Russian Ground Forces and Naval Infantry. The successor to the T-72BM, the T-90 uses the tank gun and 1G46 gunner sights from the T-80U, a new engine, and thermal sights.

Bry

Cheeky bugger Arthur :p

Good ol' Wikipedia would of solved the sellers problems fairly quick lmao :p... that said the first result for "t90" on wikipedia could of confused matters...

Bry

Maybe that's why the camera got the nickname of "the tank" :LOL:

Why cheeky? It was on Ebay for all to see!

Pic... with a couple of little lenses too :D

IMG_48742.jpg

Arthur

I got to see a prototype of the T90 in '82 and it struck me then as an awful direction for cameras to take. These days I'm more broadminded.

Mind you, the autofocus always was rubbish!

You'll get piles in the toilet reading the manuals for the camera and matching flash gun 300tl, working it all out.... :)

Doubt if I will use it Mr X, not my thing really. Just didn't want to leave it where it was at the price... Meant I had to pass up the chance of another Konica but there's always next week's allowance :D

***Meant I had to pass up the chance of another Konica***

The T90 is far superior to any Konica SLR, but if you are a collector.............................

... but not as handy/versatile as the Autoreflex :D

I still have my T90. Can't remember when I use it last, must be over twenty year ago.

HUH...Might be only good for spares as the shutter magnets might have siezed with the dreaded EEEE (well known fault)...this camera should be used or at least fire the shutter once a month or whenever.

The T90 is my best camera, use it all the time, gets much more use than my 350D.
300 rolls of 36 exp film on one set of AA batteries, and if used regularly a shutter life of 250,000 rolls of 36exp film (9,000,000 frames) beat that with a modern one.

John:)

hahahah well you got a bargain there...the T90 is an awesome camera...i used on for years,,,,I have been looking around for another in god condition myself

hahahah well you got a bargain there...the T90 is an awesome camera...i used on for years,,,,I have been looking around for another in god condition myself

You could try the T70...I have two and being lighter and smaller are easier to carry around.

Right I am off to dig out my T90 think it’s in the loft with my old Tamron SP lenses

Re the T90, I read a few years back that there is an internal battery, which when it fails, can only be replaced by a camera technician. I think it has something to to with the LCD display. If buying such a camera nowadays, and the problem cropped up, would it be repairable ? I saw a T90 in a shop a few years back, and having just read about the internal battery problem, it put me off buying it then.
Anyone have any suggestions re buying the T90 now.?

I'm pretty sure that the internal battery is one of those lithium coin batteries which is only really there to remember the settings when the camera is switched off. I'd say any half reasonable camera repair co. would be able to remove the case and de-solder/re-solder a replacement. I'd be more worried about the sticky shutter magnets frankly :shrug:

TheBigYin, Thank you for that. I did realise that the battery replacement involved soldering. Now you mention 'sticky shutters', and I have seen that over the years connected with Canon cameras, ie AE1, etc., and that has put me off looking for such equipment. Too cautious, am I ? I notice that T90s have dropped dramatically in price in the last 2-3 years, from both dealers, and the likes of eebygumbay. Who is going to push me towards buying a T90 ? Is it worth the gamble. ?

Well - if I was in the market for a more reliable body than my A-1 to use with my collection of FD glass, I think I'd still consider getting a T90, but at the last minute I'd veer off and buy a F1n :shrug: For me, the T90 is just too close to the EOS-3, but without the AF, and frankly, I've got better EF glass than I have FD.

I shot Nikon (F2 and FM) in the film days, and used a Canon F1 a few times. I liked it quite a lot. How does the T90 compare?

It's bigger, more "appliance like" and alltogether closer to shooting a modern digital camera (without AF). That's not to say it's not a incredibly solid, professional feeling camera, with excellent metering and handling.... it's just sort of the missing link between the A-1 and the first of the EOS's

Is it worth the gamble?

Oh yes it certainly is, it is beautifully engineered, feels great in your hands and just inspires confidence, so easy to use.

I bought mine for £120.00 in 2007 and to me it is the best camera I own, I also have the A1 and the F1n, plus a humble 350D. I also got the 300TTL Speedlite to go with it.

I read the other day that the modern day equivalant of this camera would be the 1d Mk2/3, says a lot for a camera that is 25 years old.

Michael, T90 shutters usually jam up through lack of use, you can try releasing it by grasping it firmly at either side and bringing it down fairly hard on a carpeted surface.

If that works, then fire the shutter many times (50-100) to ensure it stays unstuck and in future fire off a burst at least once a month.

for more info go here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanonT90users/?yguid=116850840

I have a T90 which gives the EEEE error occasionally. I find that if I press the battery check button, this clears the error and I can continue shooting. It might be worth trying this before you bash the camera on the floor.

My lithium battery is still OK and I have a theory that it only supplies current when the main batteries aren't loaded. Perhaps this is one camera you should store with the batteries in, whilst checking for electrolyte leakage every now and then?

:)Yes, things becoming clearer and clearer with all this feedback, etc., since Ambermile posted the original. I have gathered that the internal battery is merely a 'back-up' for when the main batteries are not installed; so if that fails then it does not make the camera useless. What I digested wrongly a few years back was if the internal battery failed, then it HAD to be replaced. That put me off buying a one I had seen. And it also looks like the sticky magnet problem can be avoided by releasing the shutter a few times, every couple of weeks or so, when the camera is not being used.
As regards leaving the main batteries in when stored I do not think that would be advisable, for the fear of battery leakage. Ruin the contacts, etc and you will have big problems.

Me and my big mouth - I now have a T90 with a permanent EEE display and a stuck shutter! Nothing seems to clear it now. Newton Ellis advised me to leave it alone and don't fiddle with it, as it needs a proper repair. So it's back to using my A1 until I can afford to get the T90 fixed.

Me and my big mouth - I now have a T90 with a permanent EEE display and a stuck shutter! Nothing seems to clear it now. Newton Ellis advised me to leave it alone and don't fiddle with it, as it needs a proper repair. So it's back to using my A1 until I can afford to get the T90 fixed.

IIRC before banging camera on the carpet, try putting lens into manual and press DOF/stop down button or take the batteries out and put them back in.

Last edited:
Things were going great with all the feed since ambermile started this. Have been looking for a good T90, and the last few posts are putting me off. Come on, let us have good feedback. Don't tell me lies, though.

Things were going great with all the feed since ambermile started this. Have been looking for a good T90, and the last few posts are putting me off. Come on, let us have good feedback. Don't tell me lies, though.

Erm well it's simple in that:- if you don't use the camera there is a chance you could/will have problems with the shutter magnets and have no idea what is the length of time for "if you don't use the camera", also I can't remember someone saying:- "well I've left mine for years with no problems"?...so it's a bit like humans in that "if you don't use it, you could lose it" ;).
Well my T90 was bought in excellent condition (about 2 years ago) and I reckon the guy hadn't used it for a while as on night shots a streak appeared on the neg also got the eee when fired with the lens cap on, anyway I was going to send it back when it cleared and has been great ever since as I fire it about once every 3 weeks.

For the positive side:-
http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canont90/

Last edited:
I think that the "regular use" bit is what's putting me off getting one to be honest. The only film camera that gets a regular workout chez BY is the EOS-3, and I don't trust myself to remember to "dry fire" the T90 every couple of weeks.

I think that the "regular use" bit is what's putting me off getting one to be honest. The only film camera that gets a regular workout chez BY is the EOS-3, and I don't trust myself to remember to "dry fire" the T90 every couple of weeks.

Well no one seems to post to what is the length of time between "dry firing" maybe it's months/a year :shrug:....I've been lurking on the canon forum for ages and no one has asked the question.

Yes, from all the feedback so far, it looks like I will treat myself to a T90. The main opinion is that it is a good camera and well worth having. Some had owned one and then regretted selling it. As regards 'dry firing' the shutter to stop the magnets jamming, I think that applies to most cameras(even without magnets) - if stored take it out now and again and release the shutter to keep the shutter blades in condition.
Canon T90 -- oil on the rear of the shutter blades. Best way to clean it off ? Advisable or not ? One suggestion I have seen is a cotton bud with lighter fluid, but I would not attempt that myself. What does the presence of oil on the blades indicate ?

Back