Take a view Landscape Photographer of the year 2016: Post your rejected images here

I don't think your opinion is humble. You produce excellent images that are unmistakably yours time and time again. I totally agree with your comments about these types of images. So, I am light and reflection chasing and be damned with it :D

I need to start watching the weather for the weekend, but hoping to be chasing reflections at some point over the 3 days :D

Reactions: ST4
You're not in either with a panel of 15. WTF is this competition all about. At least @Steelo and @MattyW got 2 through. You've had a great year producing some very compelling B&W and seascapes. Mine are maybe too simplistic with centre line reflections for a lot but its just my way...
I cant grumble when people like Lee Acaster didn't get a single image through, I prob wouldn't enter again tbh. It will be interesting to see what images were put through, just to get a taster of how the judges were thinking.

I cant grumble when people like Lee Acaster didn't get a single image through, I prob wouldn't enter again tbh. It will be interesting to see what images were put through, just to get a taster of how the judges were thinking.

Totally agree, it promises to be very interesting indeed.

There are always a huge number of quality images that don't get through but when there are many thousands of entries and only 150 or so places up for grabs it's unavoidable. I'm always surprised by some of the rejects (Lee Acaster this year for example) but then the the book rarely disappoints... always some that don't do it for me but hey, we're all different.

Just seen this, I entered 15, all rejected but wasn't expecting to get any in! I am really very very surprised that your images were rejected though Steven, I would of thought they were the type of images they usually put through. Personally think it's all very very random, was utterly shocked that a few people I admire greatly didn't get any images through.

This could be the very problem. They are great images, but nothing jumps out as being inspiring/new

This could be the very problem. They are great images, but nothing jumps out as being inspiring/new
Personally think there are 2-3 images that are stunning in Steves set, but it's all about the opinions of the judges and what they like! Be interesting to see if they have picked stuff that they think is "new" or original in some way.

Personally think there are 2-3 images that are stunning in Steves set, but it's all about the opinions of the judges and what they like! Be interesting to see if they have picked stuff that they think is "new" or original in some way.

They are indeed great photos; especially 14 & 15. I just felt like I was look at images I had seen elsewhere.

Possibly yes. There's also a specific style that LPOTY seem to favour and Steve's are very light and glassy which they don't normally seem to go for. 14 and 15 are the ones I can imagine had the best chance being quite atmospheric but perhaps lacking a bit of contrast for print. The fact is you can deliberately shoot and enter pictures that you think match the LPOTY style but still get rejected, so it's best just to shoot for yourself and treat any shortlist/commendation purely as a bonus. Still a shock to see who missed out though, and still think the competition needs a refresh

Well guys, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the feedback of my 3rd image.

It was one of those occasions when your pulse is racing as the light emerges and the conditions are just so ridiculous that it's hard to believe what you see unfolding in front of you. It rarely snows in quantity down as low as that so it was very special. Plus I had to get up before dawn and drive from Ullapool in the dark on unploughed roads with 1-2 feet of snow, then go down the little single-track road to Stac Pollaidh as fast as possible as the sunrise was beginning. Handily I had a 4wd car with snow tyres otherwise I'd never have made it. You make your own luck.

I have to say I was surprised that it didn't make the cut for LPOTY. It's got an f'ing snow rainbow - what more do you want?

Anyhow, there's still Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year to go for....

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this year's LPOTY book to see what has actually made it - there must be some excellent stuff in there.

Hey guys, you do this LS thing for the love of LS, right? Hiking to some remote bog on the side of a forgotten lake and then standing for hours in frozen water getting foot rot and being bitten senseless by b*****d midges you can't see... is mere balm to your soul, right?
So screw the judges. Embrace your portfolio of outstanding LS pictures and feel the glow the results give you. Or perhaps more pertinently, your peers here give you. The pictures I've viewed on this thread are all damned lovely. And as a photographer I can and do appreciate the effort, blood sweat and nashing of teeth its taken you to take them. I wouldn't do it. So have a beer! Or a cup of tea if you'd prefer.

You're spot on with why I do landscapes, which is why I'm not really all that bothered about not getting into LPOTY. These days I'm more into experiences than "things", and the experience of being out in the landscape, wherever it is, with nobody else about, and seeing amazing things, is worth its weight in gold.

It would be nice to get recognition from competitions, but I've kind of doused that flame as I've been printed in national and international press many many times that it doesn't worry me so much any more. Just being out there is good enough for me.

If the competition becomes the be all and end all as regards judging your photography then you probably shouldn't enter. We all like different things and the judges are human, the same as the rest of us. They have good days and bad days, some images are missed and others strike a chord that might not have at another time.

I would always advocate doing your own thing, taking your own photographs, not something that you think someone else will like. How on earth do you evolve as a photographer if you don't take your own pictures? If you fail to get through just forget about it, shrug the shoulders and start planning your next day out.

We are landscape photographers. The landscape should come first. There seems to be a lot of what I would call stamp collectors out there, just going from honeypot location to honeypot location. No notice taken of time of day/season/weather. Its all about the kit, technique, formulas etc. I am quite happy sometimes just being out there enjoying the experience. If you don't get that thrill, adrenalin rush, whatever of being in the right place at the right time then you've picked the wrong "hobby". On those occasions if you start thinking about LPOTY instead of how special the moment was then b*****ks to it.

Your third image is superb by the way Tobers. Great composition and a lovely lightness of touch. First round in LPOTY is a lottery. Different judges for the following rounds. Some images fail to get shortlisted one year and then go on to get Highly Commendeds the following year.

Ok so here's some of my images that didn't make the cut, I didn't really expect to get anything from my images as I'm still learning and when I see some of the previous posts with the amazing shots it makes me realise Ive still got a long way to go but thought I would enter. After all, the only way I can progress with my photography is to hopefully mix with the best of you and get some feedback!!!

Scott

Attachments

• Turnberry Sunset.jpg
    Turnberry Sunset.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 72
  • The bridge to nowhere.jpg
    The bridge to nowhere.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Rannoch Moor winter sunrise.jpg
    Rannoch Moor winter sunrise.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Knapps Sunrise.jpg
    Knapps Sunrise.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Knapps Loch Sunrise.jpg
    Knapps Loch Sunrise.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 89
Hey guys, you do this LS thing for the love of LS, right? Hiking to some remote bog on the side of a forgotten lake and then standing for hours in frozen water getting foot rot and being bitten senseless by b*****d midges you can't see... is mere balm to your soul, right?
So screw the judges. Embrace your portfolio of outstanding LS pictures and feel the glow the results give you. Or perhaps more pertinently, your peers here give you. The pictures I've viewed on this thread are all damned lovely. And as a photographer I can and do appreciate the effort, blood sweat and nashing of teeth its taken you to take them. I wouldn't do it. So have a beer! Or a cup of tea if you'd prefer.

I'm guessing the great and the good of the judging community are looking for the next Big Thing pictorially speaking. They must see the photographic genre cycle through its phases regularly and interminably. And photographers are not immune to fashion. So any shot, unless exceptional, that is obviosly derivative or repetitive in recognisable stylistic terms despite being technically otherwise magnificent (and this will be the majority) will be rejected. Cue the picture of a muddy slush filled lane... Of course, I could and most probably am wrong. Who knows what they will choose? But what I'm really saying is, the import bit to remember is don't sweat the rejections. They're only following fashion after all.

I'm going with Nick on this one. I had one shortlisted but it not one I woudl have thought woudl have been. Don't get me wrong - it a good image and I am proud of it, but the 'style' of it makes me think they are looking for particular as it's not my naromal look nor genre.

The OPOTY I think tends to lend itself to more of the images above in terms of style, which I share in many ways too.

Whatever happens, I shall promise not to get sour grapes... :shifty:

The one that won this year - that picture of the starlings is it? In the Stormy sea... I don't like it that much... but I wasn't surprised it won in a way - it's very unique and unlike any photo I've seen before really. The composition and sense of movement etc. is all strong but I wouldn't hang it on my wall. There's just too much going on with the amount of birds etc. it just doesn't make comfortable viewing for me. Some of the photos here on this thread I'd have been very happy to have taken.

I met the winner at the weekend and the guy is a full time architect.. he said in his edits the image was a black and white.. the winner image was his only colour version...

A really nice guy.. I like the printed final book..

I have no idea what the criterea of the judging is, but (and please don't take this the wrong way) the images on this thread are very samey, twilight hours, strong colours, it's probably no wonder they didn't get through if they were swamped with these. They'd be flicking through looking for something different.

Which is why the image that really stands out is Elgol by Steelo. That is truly stunning and different

Sorry I should also add that the winning and commended images have drama or a story

I don't even bother submitting. They pick either the most miserable grey shots and / or from selected people. Plenty of other competitions are about. Sony run a few that are partially free to enter and better respected.

I have no idea what the criterea of the judging is, but (and please don't take this the wrong way) the images on this thread are very samey, twilight hours, strong colours, it's probably no wonder they didn't get through if they were swamped with these. They'd be flicking through looking for something different.
Oh yes, I'm not surprised none of mine got through - they don't add much new, but then again I shoot for what I like and competitions is an added bonus if I get something through.

Having said that it does push me to carry on doing what I do, but subtlety improve it so I keep the strong (but natural) colours with compositions that are original, or viewpoints that are rarer.

If that makes sense?

I don't even bother submitting. They pick either the most miserable grey shots and / or from selected people. Plenty of other competitions are about. Sony run a few that are partially free to enter and better respected.

Sorry I don't think thats right. There's some very good, technically perfect images shown on here, very pretty and I admire the dedication to get up early and get the image, but if you look at the winners they have something more, something additional, an extra drama.

So the winner, that's almost like an abstract watercolour with the starlings, it's takes a moment to realise what it is. The cumbria shot, pretty colours, but the perfect looped rainbow with the subject dead center, something extra and unusual.

Ribblehead viaduct, shot many times, just do a google image search, but the foreground of rocks I've not seen, draws the eye in, along with the lighting and the shadows...
Storm Imogen - brilliant but then I love Phillip Plisson's stormy seascapes. If it was Plisson there'd be a small fishing boat in the middle...
Shelter from the storm, again great composition, placing the single house holding against the stormy sea, a refudge from the bad weather. And Stob Dearg is a similar story, shelter.
Chrome Hill - I mean come on, that's just great composition and the person on the hill in the highlight just adds scale and interest.

I could keep going on, drama, story, something different than just pretty,

And that might be the issue. They are something different from the £9.99 or £20 large print I could pick up from Ikea or The Range. Perhaps those pretty images have been saturated in the everyday market.

Either that or you all need to add a climber or walker into the image :D

Sorry I don't think thats right. There's some very good, technically perfect images shown on here, very pretty and I admire the dedication to get up early and get the image, but if you look at the winners they have something more, something additional, an extra drama.

So the winner, that's almost like an abstract watercolour with the starlings, it's takes a moment to realise what it is. The cumbria shot, pretty colours, but the perfect looped rainbow with the subject dead center, something extra and unusual.

Ribblehead viaduct, shot many times, just do a google image search, but the foreground of rocks I've not seen, draws the eye in, along with the lighting and the shadows...
Storm Imogen - brilliant but then I love Phillip Plisson's stormy seascapes. If it was Plisson there'd be a small fishing boat in the middle...
Shelter from the storm, again great composition, placing the single house holding against the stormy sea, a refudge from the bad weather. And Stob Dearg is a similar story, shelter.
Chrome Hill - I mean come on, that's just great composition and the person on the hill in the highlight just adds scale and interest.

I could keep going on, drama, story, something different than just pretty,

And that might be the issue. They are something different from the £9.99 or £20 large print I could pick up from Ikea or The Range. Perhaps those pretty images have been saturated in the everyday market.

Either that or you all need to add a climber or walker into the image :D

I agree they are different, but maybe not entirely. Blurry startling flocks have been done to death before and I've seen some with better colour and light. I admit I am very partisan about totally disliking grey dull images and personally I would rather hang some of the £20 pictures from "The Range" on my on walls. Sorry that's me.
Photography is all about interesting light, and not getting that perfect as a novelty factor really doesn't count as a "hit" in my books. This is my polarised opinion of course, and others are entitled to their own. Unsurprisingly though, most other known competitions provide much more agreeable range of winning images... just a thought.

I'd have to question this. Selection of subject matter is equally as important if not more so.

I still think that to bring the subject matter to life interesting conditions/light really matters. I'm not sure if the judges quest for "something different" really is the way to go - I'm in the camp though that different for the sake of it isn't always better and quite often cliche works because it's, well, good.

The thing is Steve, your images are very good, but perhaps it's the same formula everyone else is submitting, so doesn't stand out. Countryfile showed how they selected images from the tens of thousands entered and the initial sort was brutal, a quick flick through.

International landscape photographer of the year has some interesting images.
http://www.internationallandscapephotographer.com/index.php/previous-years-2

Love the image by Hougaard Malan

How about Scottish Landscape photographer? You must have a shout with your subjects
http://www.slpoty.co.uk

The thing is Steve, your images are very good, but perhaps it's the same formula everyone else is submitting, so doesn't stand out. Countryfile showed how they selected images from the tens of thousands entered and the initial sort was brutal, a quick flick through.

In all honesty Countryfile TV show could do with a new director of photography, better filming gear and more relaxed filming schedule to allow waiting for good weather and light. A lot of their material is hard to watch as if it was shot on iphone or worse.

Given the infinite variety available in the landscape, photographers (me included) choose a very limited range of subject matter.........if "good light" becomes the only (or even main) consideration it really limits the way we depict our surroundings.

The competition is all about outdoors landscape photography. All they have to do is pick the best landscapes instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

The competition is all about outdoors landscape photography. All they have to do is pick the best landscapes instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

Countryfile is a weekly Tv programme. They film to schedules, no matter the weather. It's not about the photography, although they have plenty of skills if the situation presents. It's about how the countryside is used, not how pretty it is. The same could be said of this years LOPTY.

Photography is subjective and so opinions differ, but I'm looking forward to seeing the exhibition.

Meh, it's a competition, you enter and take your chance - if you know they go for a 'look' or style and it doesn't match yours there's not much point in getting upset about it when they don't get through, just don't enter if you don't feel it benefits you or your photography. At the end of the day they've got to try and find something a little different in those that make the book amongst what is probably an avalanche of sunsets/lakes/reflections etc. If the winning entry was a random shot of Buttermere at sunrise on a calm morning then you'd have 100's of togs up in arms about it because they'd taken an equally good/similar image. The winning image wasn't one I particularly liked but I can get on board with why it was chosen, because it's different, and compelling. My personal opinion is that nice, easy, safe competent photography will never (and shouldn't) succeed in competitions like this otherwise things never evolve or improve.

If not the only but certainly the main.

i just think that some (very few) landscape photographers have really made a difference through their work. Another set of perfectly composed, beautifully lit, wild landscapes is not going to make much a difference, beautiful though they may be..

i just think that some (very few) landscape photographers have really made a difference through their work. Another set of perfectly composed, beautifully lit, wild landscapes is not going to make much a difference, beautiful though they may be..

When you say a difference, what do you mean by that. A difference to what? I am genuinely intrigued by what you mean.

Well, I'll use the example of (the late) Fay Godwin - although she later denied she was a landscape photographer. In her earlier work there's no doubt that she was, however. For her it was about illustrating our relationship with the landscape, and what dreadful things we do to it.

Well, I'll use the example of (the late) Fay Godwin - although she later denied she was a landscape photographer. In her earlier work there's no doubt that she was, however. For her it was about illustrating our relationship with the landscape, and what dreadful things we do to it.

To me that is what I want to avoid at all costs in my photography. I want to celebrate the enjoyment of the outdoors and take something that is uplifting and jolly. If I want to be depressed I will enable the "hot topics" setting on this forum and dive into that board.

It doesn't have to be depressing. Try and have a look at Fay Godwin's work (there's stuff online) and see how humourous it can be, for example). It's just not necessarily celebratory, although she did that as well.

What is interesting is you think that it proves your point, and I think it proves mine.

Not that impressed tbh with what I saw when I searched for it. Give me the work of Ian Cameron or Colin Prior.

Back