Talk to me about editing on an iPad Pro

I think the biggest limiting factor for editing on the iPad Pro will not neccesarily be iPadOS, but will be software limitations. Lightroom CC is still missing a lot of features compared to classic (range masking, print modules, meta data, HDR and Pano merge, batch editing, export options i.e. size, quality etc). There are also some other issues such as working with external storage. Yes iPadOS makes using external storage so much easier BUT the issue is that photos still need to be imported into Lightroom, thus taking local space. You can't work purely off an external storage device. I think this is ok if photography is a hobby, but if you are working professionally with thousands of images a time, I can see this becoming a problem very quickly. I am sure there will be workarounds, but then it becomes a more complicated workflow.

Hopefully this will change at some point!

Last edited:
I’ve noticed a few times ppl mention batch export missing.

Can you confirm what you mean by this, I regularly export 20-50 photos at a time, all of my finished shots.

Is there another batch export your talking about ?

Can you confirm what you mean by this, I regularly export 20-50 photos at a time, all of my finished shots.

Now you've mentioned it I've gone and taken a look and yes if you select multiple from the collection screen you can click "share" and save to camera roll or folder. Maybe that is confusing people as well you are editing a photo the export function is just "save to camera roll"

I'll edit my earlier post!

I think the biggest limiting factor for editing on the iPad Pro will not neccesarily be iPadOS, but will be software limitations. Lightroom CC is still missing a lot of features compared to classic (range masking, print modules, meta data, HDR and Pano merge, batch editing, export options i.e. size, quality etc). There are also some other issues such as working with external storage. Yes iPadOS makes using external storage so much easier BUT the issue is that photos still need to be imported into Lightroom, thus taking local space. You can't work purely off an external storage device. I think this is ok if photography is a hobby, but if you are working professionally with thousands of images a time, I can see this becoming a problem very quickly. I am sure there will be workarounds, but then it becomes a more complicated workflow.

Hopefully this will change at some point!

Metadata is there in LR CC, it just doesn't sync back to LR Classic for some reason. You can also batch edit metadata in iOS now. I think the option to work from external storage might appear in LR CC now the iPad has gained external storage support. I hope so anyway. I guess it depends what sort of photography you do as to whether it's a viable solution or not. I've used range masking exactly once in the past three years, and never use HDR merge and Pano merge. The export options are sorely in need of an upgrade, as well as the addition of batch editing (which exists in the Android version of the app).

Now you've mentioned it I've gone and taken a look and yes if you select multiple from the collection screen you can click "share" and save to camera roll or folder. Maybe that is confusing people as well you are editing a photo the export function is just "save to camera roll"

I'll edit my earlier post!
Ah I see, I always start a new album type thing and when finished editing, go back to main folder folder/album, select all and share, then it saves to camera roll, which intern saves to a Lightroom folder within iOS photos, it used to be a pain as it saved back to photos, then I had the originals and edited pics side by side.

With the little update now it saves in a LR folder it’s much better, then I send that folder to Flickr and job done.

You can also batch export to Lightroom online which gives you a link to share.

I'd love to know how you do this.

That may have been a mistake on my part, I can't find any mention of that in the iOS Lightroom app. It seems as with batch photo editing, it's an Android only thing for now.

I have seen it today, I have thought it missing. Thanks

I use one of these to plug my iPad in. It’s the official apple one so not the cheapest but works seamlessly. As soon as it’s plugged in, switch camera on and the uploader opens straight away asking you to select which photos you want to add. Then gives the option of keep or delete from card.

68A5B04F-96F7-40EA-86A9-968D854B06A5.jpeg

Last edited:
I use one of these to plug my iPad in. It’s the official apple one so not the cheapest but works seamlessly. As soon as it’s plugged in, switch camera on and the uploader opens straight away asking you to select which photos you want to add. Then gives the option of keep or delete from card.

View attachment 254248

I've heard about these, tell me are you able to transfer RAW images as well as JPG using this method. I'd be really interested to know.

Many thanks.,

George.

I've heard about these, tell me are you able to transfer RAW images as well as JPG using this method. I'd be really interested to know.

Many thanks.,

George.

Yes Raw images upload fine. Only issue I’ve ever come across is iPad storage space but I usually upload, edit and transfer elsewhere for storage.

I used a bog standard USB 3 multi card reader and a USB A to USB C adaptor over the weekend and it worked fine on the iPadOS 13.1 beta. Must say I love editing on the iPad, either using my finger or with a mouse and keyboard.

When I access my storage on either my NAS or Mac desktop, the iPad doesn’t recognise RAW files or ARW files. As in, I can’t see a preview only the mountain and sun icon? If I convert the file to a JPG in lightroom on the Mac and save it, then I can view it without any issues. Any ideas where I’m going wrong?

When I access my storage on either my NAS or Mac desktop, the iPad doesn’t recognise RAW files or ARW files. As in, I can’t see a preview only the mountain and sun icon? If I convert the file to a JPG in lightroom on the Mac and save it, then I can view it without any issues. Any ideas where I’m going wrong?

Can you provide some more details: model of iPad, IOS version, software used to access the files?

I used a bog standard USB 3 multi card reader and a USB A to USB C adaptor over the weekend and it worked fine on the iPadOS 13.1 beta. Must say I love editing on the iPad, either using my finger or with a mouse and keyboard.
but late to the party, but how does the mouse and the new external storage work with ios 13 ?

I thought the speed of the ipad was pretty magic, until I turned the cloud stuff off. Editing 85MB raws became pretty slow..

I still use my ipad for reading sheet music and watching netflix so there's that.

Can you provide some more details: model of iPad, IOS version, software used to access the files?
It’s the 12.9 iPad Pro. Running iOS 12.4.1 I have a NAS that I access via my WiFi. It’s my main back up. So I take my photos, transfer the RAW files to a file on the NAS, edit via LR on the Mac, and save them as JPEG’s to another folder on the NAS. But when i try and access the RAWs via the iPad, it doesn’t recognise them. Only the JPEG’s

but late to the party, but how does the mouse and the new external storage work with ios 13 ?

The mouse control setup is part of the Accessibility settings as Apple consider it to be an alternate way of 'touching' the screen for those who need it. In other words, it isn't exactly like mouse control on a PC or Mac. You can touch, long-press, drag and so on, but the mouse pointer is a simple circle, representing the end of a finger on the screen, with which you do all of the regular finger movements that iPadOS expects. It doesn't take long to get used to it, but if your fingers work normally it might not give you any advantage using it. For photo processing, as for most things, I prefer the Pencil to either the mouse or a finger.

External storage seems to work well, in the limited way that I've used it. I've copied JPEGs from an SD card inserted into a third-party Camera Kit, but I get raw files onto the iPad using PhotoSync from my PC. I've also set up my PC as a connected server, so I can drag files from the PC to the iPad and vice versa. You can, of course, drag photos onto the iPad's file system, but they won't go into the Photos app, just into a regular folder, so you won't be able to load them into something like Snapseed. On the other hand, long-pressing a JPEG file should give you the opportunity to Save to Photos. I don't know about other photo processing software such as Lightroom as I don't use it, but I believe it expects to import files from the Photos app, not the file system. Perhaps someone else can put me right if I've got this wrong.

In the early iPadOS beta versions, the iPad wouldn't recognise an SD card unless it had a proper eight-character name, but that might not still be the case. I would imagine that they would have fixed this by now.

In my opinion, Apple still needs to do some work on the file system as it's not really a file system in the same way as on a PC, Mac, or Android phone. It's a simulated file system under the control of the Files app. From within the Files app, there's no access to the Photos app, other than copying a JPEG using the context menu. I'd like to see Photos appear as a folder, with subfolders for the albums, so that you can drag and drop directly into and out of them.

If you've used the Files app in 12.4 and below, the main differences are that you can attach external drives and read from and write to them; you can attach a PC or Mac as a server (and probably a NAS, too - I don't have one to try); you can create folders anywhere within the file system and put files there, whereas previously you had to use a workaround such as creating folders within the Pages app to hold your non-Pages documents. These are all very useful changes and if Apple listens to its users and implements some of our suggestions, it can only get better.

The mouse control setup is part of the Accessibility settings as Apple consider it to be an alternate way of 'touching' the screen for those who need it. In other words, it isn't exactly like mouse control on a PC or Mac. You can touch, long-press, drag and so on, but the mouse pointer is a simple circle, representing the end of a finger on the screen, with which you do all of the regular finger movements that iPadOS expects. It doesn't take long to get used to it, but if your fingers work normally it might not give you any advantage using it. For photo processing, as for most things, I prefer the Pencil to either the mouse or a finger.

External storage seems to work well, in the limited way that I've used it. I've copied JPEGs from an SD card inserted into a third-party Camera Kit, but I get raw files onto the iPad using PhotoSync from my PC. I've also set up my PC as a connected server, so I can drag files from the PC to the iPad and vice versa. You can, of course, drag photos onto the iPad's file system, but they won't go into the Photos app, just into a regular folder, so you won't be able to load them into something like Snapseed. On the other hand, long-pressing a JPEG file should give you the opportunity to Save to Photos. I don't know about other photo processing software such as Lightroom as I don't use it, but I believe it expects to import files from the Photos app, not the file system. Perhaps someone else can put me right if I've got this wrong.

In the early iPadOS beta versions, the iPad wouldn't recognise an SD card unless it had a proper eight-character name, but that might not still be the case. I would imagine that they would have fixed this by now.

In my opinion, Apple still needs to do some work on the file system as it's not really a file system in the same way as on a PC, Mac, or Android phone. It's a simulated file system under the control of the Files app. From within the Files app, there's no access to the Photos app, other than copying a JPEG using the context menu. I'd like to see Photos appear as a folder, with subfolders for the albums, so that you can drag and drop directly into and out of them.

If you've used the Files app in 12.4 and below, the main differences are that you can attach external drives and read from and write to them; you can attach a PC or Mac as a server (and probably a NAS, too - I don't have one to try); you can create folders anywhere within the file system and put files there, whereas previously you had to use a workaround such as creating folders within the Pages app to hold your non-Pages documents. These are all very useful changes and if Apple listens to its users and implements some of our suggestions, it can only get better.

How would you attach external drives Garry....for example directly to an iPad and use the files system to access the drive...?

I haven't needed to do that yet, but if it's not a low-powered SSD I'd use a powered USB kit, like this one. The cable plugs into the iPad and you plug a lightning power adaptor in one socket and the drive (or a USB hub) into the other.

You could use the same kit with an SSD, though if it doesn't draw much power you might get away with an unpowered kit, although the iPad does seem to complain about most peripherals being underpowered. There is a fix that often works in this situation, and that's to plug a USB hub between the peripheral and the Camera Kit. The iPad then seems happy with the power draw of the hub.

Once it's all plugged in, the drive should show up in the sidebar of the Files app, and you tap that entry to get access to the contents and drag files and folders across.

Unfortunately, in the current version, Files doesn't remember where you've navigated to, on the drive or anywhere else for that matter. If you tap the drive name (or On My iPad, or iCloud Drive, for example) it puts you back at the top level, so have to drill down again. Annoying if, like me, you often have folders nested four or more levels deep. It's amazing how often Apple get it half right.

I haven't needed to do that yet, but if it's not a low-powered SSD I'd use a powered USB kit, like this one. The cable plugs into the iPad and you plug a lightning power adaptor in one socket and the drive (or a USB hub) into the other.

Hi Garry, If I purchase one of these powered USB Kits do you know if they will accept devices that are USB two. I have a mains powered USB external drive that has lots of my snaps on that my laptop takes without a problem. I wondered if I plugged that in to this adapter and also powered the iPad is it likely work ?

George.

The third-party one I bought does handle USB2, since that's what I've been using for some time. You'd have to ask in an Apple Store if you want information on their own kit. But, since USB is backwards compatible, even if they kit is built for USB3, it should work.

The third-party one I bought does handle USB2, since that's what I've been using for some time. You'd have to ask in an Apple Store if you want information on their own kit. But, since USB is backwards compatible, even if they kit is built for USB3, it should work.

Many thanks for that Garry, very much appreciated.

George.

Hi Garry, sorry to be a pain, I’ve been in touch with Apple & called in at a Stormfront store with regards to that attachment but neither could answer the question about compatibility. As your third party unit works ok I wondered if you could to tell me what it is and where I can get one.

Many thanks.,

George.

No problem, George. I got this one from Amazon. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Apple one, which only has one USB socket. Ignore the replies to the answers, just read the reviews.

Many thanks for that Garry, Looks to be just what I want.

George.

Sorry for the late reply I've been on holiday for the past week.

So mouse support has been absolutely great the two times I've used it. It made editing in LR with the iPad propped up in its case in front of me very quick and easy, quicker than my old laptop due to the the speed of the device.

External drive support I haven't fully tested yet as neither of my external HDs seem to be formatted in a way the iPad can read. Importing files into LR from an SD card worked perfectly though

I have an issue with transferring RAW to the iPad. I was on the Mac and inserted my SD card into it. Saved a RAW file to the desktop and then whilst I was on the iPad, I downloaded it from the Mac desktop to the iPad. It downloads as a black image? I can view a preview on the Mac desktop via the iPad, but as soon as I download it, it’s black. Any ideas?

I have an issue with transferring RAW to the iPad. I was on the Mac and inserted my SD card into it. Saved a RAW file to the desktop and then whilst I was on the iPad, I downloaded it from the Mac desktop to the iPad. It downloads as a black image? I can view a preview on the Mac desktop via the iPad, but as soon as I download it, it’s black. Any ideas?
What sort of RAW file is it? I have problems with viewing Fuji compressed raw files on the iPad outside of Lightroom. As far as I know they aren’t supported by Apple yet on the iPad

What sort of RAW file is it? I have problems with viewing Fuji compressed raw files on the iPad outside of Lightroom. As far as I know they aren’t supported by Apple yet on the iPad

They’re Sony RAW files. Or ARW to be precise

ARW files should work fine with your iPad. I assume you copied it to the iPad using the Files app? Could it be that the Mac is showing you just the JPEG header as adjusted by your camera, and the raw file was underexposed? Have your tried loading it into a photo processing app on the iPad and increasing the exposure?

ARW files should work fine with your iPad. I assume you copied it to the iPad using the Files app? Could it be that the Mac is showing you just the JPEG header as adjusted by your camera, and the raw file was underexposed? Have your tried loading it into a photo processing app on the iPad and increasing the exposure?

I used Files, yes. It shows as an ARW file at on my desktop at 49 MB. I just tried using my card reader plugged directly into the iPad, and that works fine. Saves the files to the photos app, and I can then access them using Lightroom.
I'm not sure how I check if the Mac is showing just the JPEG header? The RAW file seems fine ( I used the same one)

Lightroom on the iPad will show you the image as-is, before processing. On the Mac, if you're using Quick Look, Preview, or the
Photos app, it most likely shows you the embedded jpeg that the camera puts in the file header. You'd need to load into processing software such as Lightroom for Mac to see the raw image. Or just open it for editing in the Photos app.

Last edited:
Lightroom on the iPad will show you the image as-is, before processing. On the Mac, if you're using Quick Look, Preview, or the
Photos app, it most likely shows you the embedded jpeg that the camera puts in the file header. You'd need to load into processing software such as Lightroom for Mac to see the raw image. Or just open it for editing in the Photos app.

Got it. So the best way to load RAW (in my case) is via the card reader direct to the iPad

That's one way to do it, and that certainly works for me. An alternative is to get a WiFi-enabled drive with an SD card socket, such as the Samsung AiDrive. That way you can copy the image files to the drive, then use the sync software on your iPad to copy them from the drive. It's not as quick as using the Apple Camera (or Connector) Kit, but you do get to back your files up at the time.

Sorry I'm a complete novice to this...is there a link on how you get the photos into Files...do you go through the photo app or is there an alternative app...I have the connector kit so would be using that and USB via card reader or directly from camera.....
I used Files, yes. It shows as an ARW file at on my desktop at 49 MB. I just tried using my card reader plugged directly into the iPad, and that works fine. Saves the files to the photos app, and I can then access them using Lightroom.
I'm not sure how I check if the Mac is showing just the JPEG header? The RAW file seems fine ( I used the same one)

Put the SD card into the card reader and plug that into the connector kit. Run the Files app, tap Browse, and plug the connector kit into the iPad. A new entry should appear in the Locations pane. Tap that and you should see the photo files. Select the ones you want to copy, tap More, then Copy. Go back to the Locations pane and navigate to the location where you want to save the files. Scroll to the empty space at the bottom of the list, long-press, then tap Paste.

Back