Talk to me about editing on an iPad Pro

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
After months of procrastination and dithering I'm finally about ready to buy an iPad Pro as my main editing machine. I'm just looking for some real world experience of what it's actually like to use one as a primary photo editing machine, in place of a Windows laptop. Are they better to edit on than a laptop? Is the extra portability of the 11" better than the bigger screen of the 12.9" model (this is the one I'm leaning towards at the moment).

I'd be using Lightroom, and I know there are some feature differences between Classic and CC, but nothing that I regularly use is missing from the iPad version I don't think. I could also work around the 20Gb cloud storage limit with a bit of file management so I'm not too worried about that being a roadblock.

I just came on here to post the same question. Mrs B presented me today an iPad Pro 12.9” (fnaarrr) for our anniversary. I’m looking around the web and there seems to be a multitude of ways to transfer images to the iPad and also editing. Would I need a pen? I’d also be using Lightroom, and using it for in the field back ups

Not an expert in any way shape or form but for me the biggest issue I have had is transferring images to the iPad, particularly RAW ones. I got a Wifi card for my Canon 5D mklll and eventually after a lot of messing about managed to get the RAW images on through the Canon Connect software....had problems though transferring images wired either through the camera or a card reader.....iPad has a habit of stating there is insufficient power via the reader...sometimes works if iPad is fully charged or if you power the iPad as well as connect the card reader through the apple accessory....it probably doesn’t help that I only do this occasionally ( ie holidays etc...) but it’s been a pain. I also had an issue recently when I wanted to move images onto an iMac and keep the RAW format through the iMac photo app.....sometimes it worked...other times it compressed the images ( I don’t have iCloud but have Google drive and OneDrive just in case) However the IMac doesn’t love OneDrive.....just throwing this in in case your desktop / laptop is IOS......could be an interesting thread and hope to learn something....[emoji106]

Re: transferring images to an iPad - iPad is getting a big OS update in September. ipadOS will support external drives so you should be able to plug USB-C storage devices (which should include cameras I think) straight in to your iPadPro. Rumours are that the Apple keynote is 10 Sept this year so keep an eye out for updates after that.

I've been playing with Pixelmator Photo for iPad editing on my iPadAir and for £5 its very impressive.

I use the second version of the 12.9 and it’s been fantastic really I haven’t been using my iMac upstairs at all.
The workflow revolves around the card reader I have from Apple the photos get loaded to the iPad and the LR mobile uploads them to the cloud.
I then delete the ones on the iPad
The images get auto uploaded to google photos too simple.
Also I uploaded some images to Loxley colour for printing it was really impressive to compare the print to this iPad and I cannot fault it.
I use the Logitech case and keyboard with mine
Also use the Apple very expensive pencil to do detailed editing.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm not too concerned about getting my images onto the iPad, there's a variety of card readers that are known to work with the latest iPad Pros. It doesn't look like any of you have any major bottlenecks using one for editing, and it's interesting to see that people's desktop and laptops don't get used for editing once they have an iPad. Is the pencil an essential purchase? It does look to make photo editing much easier

Same here, I use a standard iPad (to cheap to buy a pro;))
I plug the camera direct to the iPad through a iOS adapter to usb and it works fine, then as above import to Lightroom and delete from iPad.

Been doing this for over a year and I can’t remember the last time I used the imac.

I have the first generation of the Pro (early adopter) and I have been using it with LR ever since. My workflow tends to be to import to iPhoto and into LR temp collection. I then delete from the iPad. I do all my rating and quick edits on here. I do however have an iMac which I use for larger edits, my main issue with LR CC over Classic is the lack of Panorama/HDR. I know many use Affinity Photo for this, however I haven’t the patience to relearn if I don’t have to. In summary I use the iPad as an addition to the main pc, although about 90% of my work is done on the iPad. There is also a rumour that PS is coming to the ipad

With regards to the pencil, I would definitely get one it makes using the brush tool and cloning so much easier

After months of procrastination and dithering I'm finally about ready to buy an iPad Pro as my main editing machine. I'm just looking for some real world experience of what it's actually like to use one as a primary photo editing machine, in place of a Windows laptop. Are they better to edit on than a laptop? Is the extra portability of the 11" better than the bigger screen of the 12.9" model (this is the one I'm leaning towards at the moment).

I'd be using Lightroom, and I know there are some feature differences between Classic and CC, but nothing that I regularly use is missing from the iPad version I don't think. I could also work around the 20Gb cloud storage limit with a bit of file management so I'm not too worried about that being a roadblock.

I have an iPad pro 12.9 and have been playing around with PP files using "Affinity Photo" which works extremely well indeed on an iPad especially when using the iPad pencil. I now have completely stopped using Lightroom on my Windows laptop and to be perfectly honest I don't miss it one bit. I transfer my RAW files from my Windows laptop via Dropbox to my photos folder on the iPad which works well enough for me. But as has already been mentioned the iPad OS is getting a considerable upgrade shortly so from what I understand an iPad Pro should be able to read from external media.

Finally I would recommend getting the larger iPad Pro for if you can for PP work, my wife has the smaller 10 inch one and although its perfectly good enough for editing photos its just a tad too small in my opinion.

George.

Why not buy a proper tablet that is fully designed for editing?
The main ones are the Wacom tablet computers, and they really are good, with the quality and support you'd expect from Wacom.

There is also a rumour that PS is coming to the ipad

PS is confirmed to be available on the iPad by the end of the year. It's apparently in beta testing now.

The Pencil is definitely more accurate than a finger, and the iPad has excellent palm rejection, so you can get really close in for fine work.

That's what I've been thinking, editing a full events worth of photos using my finger would get quite tiring quite quickly.

Read that this morning, very oddly timed article given the improvements that are coming but it's a good read anyway.

Finally I would recommend getting the larger iPad Pro for if you can for PP work, my wife has the smaller 10 inch one and although its perfectly good enough for editing photos its just a tad too small in my opinion.
George.

I went to Currys to have a look at the 11" and 12.9" Pros side by side. The 11" model does look too small to me, if this is going to be my main editing machine I want the biggest screen possible.

Why not buy a proper tablet that is fully designed for editing?
The main ones are the Wacom tablet computers, and they really are good, with the quality and support you'd expect from Wacom.

A Wacom tablet isn't as portable or as versatile as an iPad. Same with a Surface Pro, which I have considered as well. The iPad just seems a more versatile device at the moment, especially once the new OS arrives in a few weeks. A Wacom tablet would be fairly awful at reading magazines, web browsing, Netflix, gaming etc.

I tend to use the iPad if I'm away from home and don't have the Macbook with me. I transfer what files I want via the Fuji App, and I then have a mix of editing options. Adobe is one route, but if I want something quick & easy to just drop the images on to social media, I use Snapseed.

I don't have the pencil, have thought about it but haven't got around to spending the money, but I too have the Logitech case and find it excellent.

A Wacom tablet isn't as portable or as versatile as an iPad. Same with a Surface Pro, which I have considered as well. The iPad just seems a more versatile device at the moment, especially once the new OS arrives in a few weeks. A Wacom tablet would be fairly awful at reading magazines, web browsing, Netflix, gaming etc.

Maybe its not quite as portable as an ipad, but there is little in it, I take mine along to loads of shoots and professionally edit on it on site all the time.

I have no idea why you think its not as versatile, or that you cannot read magazine, browse the web, watch videos etc.? Its a full Windows 10 computer with a quality screen, processor and memory plus you have stacks of important additions over the ipad such as USB ports, proper pen with pressure and tilt and so on.

Maybe its not quite as portable as an ipad, but there is little in it, I take mine along to loads of shoots and professionally edit on it on site all the time.

I have no idea why you think its not as versatile, or that you cannot read magazine, browse the web, watch videos etc.? Its a full Windows 10 computer with a quality screen, processor and memory plus you have stacks of important additions over the ipad such as USB ports, proper pen with pressure and tilt and so on.

Which Wacom tablets are your talking about? When I think of Wacom, I see their devices for controlling the cursor on a computer using a pen to do graphic editing. These are only usable as input devices. I didn't think they could function as a stand-alone computer. Even the Cintiq Pros that I have looked at doesn't list WiFi capbility as a feature.

Are you talking about a different type of Wacom device? I'm not questioning the accuracy of your information; just looking for more details about which device you are referring too.

Now, if your post was about the Surface Pro, that is a whole different story.

I did say in my orginal post - 'Wacom tablet computers'

The current range is the mobile studio pro series.

I didn't know that Wacom produced full computers. They aren't sold in any of the stores I use for computers or photography equipment. Although, now that I know what to look for, I do find them in Amazon.

I didn't know that Wacom produced full computers.

No worries, enjoy. I love mine, I did a lot of research and if you are after an alternative to a laptop or desktop, I.e. a tablet it's the only professional solution out there in my opinion.

I have the 13.5" version, which is great for portability, and mine goes everywhere, even abroad. In many ways I'd love the 16" version as that extra bit of real estate would be a bonus. The only downsides is that it's physically bigger and heavier.

Hiya,

I use just an iPad Pro for my editing. I have done for a while. First I had the 1st Gen 12.9, then 10.5, then 2nd Gen 12.9, and now the 11 inch.

I went back to and fro from the larger to the smaller ones, but the 11 inch is now a great compromise of screen size and portability.

I use Lightroom CC, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, and Polarr.

I am using the beta for iOS 13/iPad OS, and have no issues. It supports external drives and I’ve no compatibility issues with the pen drives and external hard drives that I use. I shoot film so haven’t used a SD Card reader with iPad OS.

For me the pencil is a necessary, but superb accessory. I use a Zugg Muse case for protection. Fab case.

For me using an iPad Pro for my only device works a treat.

Ta,
Shane :)

Hiya,

I use just an iPad Pro for my editing. I have done for a while. First I had the 1st Gen 12.9, then 10.5, then 2nd Gen 12.9, and now the 11 inch.

I went back to and fro from the larger to the smaller ones, but the 11 inch is now a great compromise of screen size and portability.

I am using the beta for iOS 13/iPad OS, and have no issues. It supports external drives and I’ve no compatibility issues with the pen drives and external hard drives that I use. I shoot film so haven’t used a SD Card reader with iPad OS.

For me the pencil is a necessary, but superb accessory. I use a Zugg Muse case for protection. Fab case.

Ta,

How do you find the 11 compared to the 12.9 2nd generation?

Hiya,

Ta,

Interesting that you've gone from a 12.9 to an 11 inch model. I'm still on the fence about which to choose. My head says 12.9 for the extra screen area, but I'm worried it's just going to be too cumbersome and large. I've tried both in a shop but they were on stands so I didn't have to worry about holding the iPad at the same time as using it. I did notice that on screen elements were the same size on both, you just see more of them on the 12.9, which is another thing making the decision harder for me. The whole idea of this is to break away from sitting at a desk and to be able to work from anywhere.

Hiya,

Ta,

That’s very interesting, and a good report. I’d be interested to see some of your images that have been PPd using this system.

George.

The other day I tried the Ipad Pro 12.9" with Beta OS on for photo editing.

Imported about 15 photos off the SD Card into a named folder, using the beta file app

Imported those images into Lightroom from then on things went down hill..

The smart preview edit on, each raw is 80mb in size and whenever I went back to an image i'd already processed it no longer had the original file and spent 20 seconds re-downloading it before I could make any adjustments.

When I was ready to export a handful of images, i had to do it one at a time and it took about 10 seconds to render each export.

I've disabled the work with 'smart preview' option, maybe that will help next time - I don't want to work on the cloud and I want batch export functionality.

The other day I tried the Ipad Pro 12.9" with Beta OS on for photo editing.

Imported about 15 photos off the SD Card into a named folder, using the beta file app

Imported those images into Lightroom from then on things went down hill..

The smart preview edit on, each raw is 80mb in size and whenever I went back to an image i'd already processed it no longer had the original file and spent 20 seconds re-downloading it before I could make any adjustments.

When I was ready to export a handful of images, i had to do it one at a time and it took about 10 seconds to render each export.

I've disabled the work with 'smart preview' option, maybe that will help next time - I don't want to work on the cloud and I want batch export functionality.

I think if you pause syncing and store the collection locally it speeds LR up quite a bit. That's certainly been my experience using my phone for quick edits anyway.

I think if you pause syncing and store the collection locally it speeds LR up quite a bit. That's certainly been my experience using my phone for quick edits anyway.

Maybe I have misunderstood this, but on the iPad I believed that when you edit a RAW file that has been directly imported you are only ever editing a smart preview. However when you export it applies the edit to the original RAW file and uses that to export the image. I believed this is one of the reasons the iPad version of lightroom is so quick for editing compared to Lightroom Classic. This is how they get around some of the hardware limitations on the iPad (i.e. 4GB of ram on the latest Pros..)

I use an iPad 11inch pro but to supplement my editing rather than doing it all.

I transfer all to Mac. Cull on Mac and import into LR the "keepers" this then syncs over to the iPad and I do all my LR editing there. Returning to the Mac for PS (very rare) and to then export.

The new update should make transferring images onto the iPad easier (you can use it now in Beta) but I take too many images to just use the iPad.

The main thing I miss from the iPad app of LR is batch edit, I’m still struggling to understand why you can’t adjust the basics and copy to all selected, you can copy and paste setting to each picture but I really miss the batch edit.
If I’m shooting a sports event I use a set white balance and manually slightly under expose, because everything is set in camera, generally it’s the same edit for all and having to do it one at a time is a real chore.

The main thing I miss from the iPad app of LR is batch edit, I’m still struggling to understand why you can’t adjust the basics and copy to all selected, you can copy and paste setting to each picture but I really miss the batch edit.
If I’m shooting a sports event I use a set white balance and manually slightly under expose, because everything is set in camera, generally it’s the same edit for all and having to do it one at a time is a real chore.

I think this is an iOS thing as you can do that in the Android version of LR CC. They have said it's coming soon to iOS

Ive just purchased a 12.9" iPad pro and I've chucked iOS13 onto it and its quite a machine. It's absolutely great as a main processing machine but that purely depends on what you do editing wise. If most of your edits are contained to Lightroom then I think its worth some serious consideration. If your work is a combination of both Lightroom and Photoshop on a regular basis then maybe just think twice. I'm not saying it wouldnt work but until Photoshop for iPad is fully released it's hard to see how it'll pan out.

I think this is an iOS thing as you can do that in the Android version of LR CC. They have said it's coming soon to iOS
I really hope so, it’s not the end of the world as I go through each one anyway, but to chuck a basic on everything would save loads of time.

So I've just ordered one, should arrive tomorrow. I went for a 256gb 11 inch model in the end. I just couldn't justify the extra expense for the 12.9 inch version for the small amount of added screen size.

Ive just purchased a 12.9" iPad pro and I've chucked iOS13 onto it and its quite a machine. It's absolutely great as a main processing machine but that purely depends on what you do editing wise. If most of your edits are contained to Lightroom then I think its worth some serious consideration. If your work is a combination of both Lightroom and Photoshop on a regular basis then maybe just think twice. I'm not saying it wouldnt work but until Photoshop for iPad is fully released it's hard to see how it'll pan out.

I only ever edit in Lightroom, I made my logo in Photoshop and my wedding table plan and that's it, other than that I never use it. Just out of interest what's the download size for the iOS 13 beta? My home internet isn't the fastest so if it's huge I'll do it overnight.

Interesting that you've gone from a 12.9 to an 11 inch model. I'm still on the fence about which to choose. My head says 12.9 for the extra screen area, but I'm worried it's just going to be too cumbersome and large. I've tried both in a shop but they were on stands so I didn't have to worry about holding the iPad at the same time as using it. I did notice that on screen elements were the same size on both, you just see more of them on the 12.9, which is another thing making the decision harder for me. The whole idea of this is to break away from sitting at a desk and to be able to work from anywhere.

I had the same issue about whether the 12.9” would be too big to be portable. I found that it was. I am now used to the 11” size, and wouldn’t go back to the 12.9”.

Ta,
Shane

How do you find the 11 compared to the 12.9 2nd generation?

I now wouldn’t go back to the 12.9”.

Yes, the higher resolution/bigger screen is superb to use, but I found that it was staying at home/limiting the places I took it. With the 11” - now I’m used to editing on that size screen, truly goes everywhere with me.

I must admit - the 2 12.9” iPad Pro that I had (1st Gen and 2nd Gen) were obviously the bigger old shape rather than the new smaller 12.9” 3rd Gen - but it is still ‘too’ big (for me).

Overall I do not miss the bigger model.

Ta,
Shane.

I think a lot of what iOS 13 can do will make the 12.9 hard to pass up. I found when using split view on the 11 reduced the app experience significantly compare to using a 12.9

Back