Tamron 70-200f2.8

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
Unbiased opinons wanted on this lens as I have just paid £434 for a new one inc next day delivery.
I have heard its slow and has focussing issues in loads of places and also its not slow and has no focussing issues in others, so are the optics really better than Sigma, is it slower than sigma for fast focussing does it hunt????

All answers apreciated(y)

I had one, yes the focusing is slow. I found is very accurate though, absolutely spot on from 70mm through to 200mm.

The optics are superb. Better than Sigma? I reckon so.

I think you'll like the lens, although Tamron needs a motor with more mojo for these bigs lenses - its basically inadequate to move that amount of lovely (but heavy) glass around.

I found a workaround was to shoot in AF-C to avoid the lens going on a big old hunt if AF missed.

I like mine, focusing isnt as fast as it could be and i have had nothing of this size to compare against from other brands.
Is it sharp, i think it really is!

What stuff will you be shooting Dangermouse?

Where did you get it for £434 DM? I've just came from looking at these on e-Bay... the C/C is getting the evil eye...

(or do I face the wrath of the missus and just blow the lot on the VR...)

Where did you get it for £434 DM? I've just came from looking at these on e-Bay... the C/C is getting the evil eye...

(or do I face the wrath of the missus and just blow the lot on the VR...)

I am given to understand that the VR will rise in price again wef 01/03/09.

I bought it from camerabox after seeing it on the web ranging from 600 to 700 so just had to buy it lol

I got mine for £375, prices have gone up a bit.

Optically its probably in the £700-£1k price ballpark.

Looks like Warehouse Express have a few at the £470 mark for Nikon (or £430 for Canon)... mmmmm... Pay-day on Monday.

Its here and after a very quick play I can honestly say ...yes it is sharper than the sigma the optics are simply superb and as for the slow focussing it doesnt really seem slow to me heres a quick test shot handheld about 3ft away nothing done to it whatsoever only a resize the focus is on the A

_DSC0003-3.jpg

Ever the more tempting now. OK, a/f is good at static object, what about moving ones, like motorbikes I wonder...

Its here and after a very quick play I can honestly say ...yes it is sharper than the sigma the optics are simply superb and as for the slow focussing it doesnt really seem slow to me heres a quick test shot handheld about 3ft away nothing done to it whatsoever only a resize the focus is on the A

The optics are definately better than the Sigma.

I am willing to go out on a limb and say this trounces the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS for wide open sharpness at 200mm, and is in the same ballpark as the Nikkor.

Easily £700-£1k optically. As for the slow focusing, shoot at macro distance, then re-focus on infinity - it'll be around 2 seconds from MFD to infinity.

I didn't keep it as I did find the slow focusing bothersome, but I would definately buy again if they remove the motor and go back to body driven AF.

I'm with PD here, it really is quite slow, which is a shame because, as you say, it really is sharp. I did consider selling it the other day because of the slow focus, but the sharpness of lens is amazing for the £350 i paid for it and i dont use it enough to really worry about it.

Well it dont seem to slow to me but it is slower than the sigma but not by much

I'm with PD here, it really is quite slow, which is a shame because, as you say, it really is sharp. I did consider selling it the other day because of the slow focus, but the sharpness of lens is amazing for the £350 i paid for it and i dont use it enough to really worry about it.

Was it £350 new or s/h either way thats a bloody good price for one(y)

Took it out for a test run this morning and boy was I suprised with it, The focussing was pleasantly faster than I thought it would be and it never hunted once and once it locked ont the fast moving aircraft it just stayed in focus with no bother and the sharpness is so good, heres a test shot thats had a small crop and resize only cc on it is appreciated

_DSC0048.jpg

Thanks

Yes Nictry the lenses are identical and I got mine from camera box £10 cheaper ...well worth 435

D/M, could you show me a few pics of the lens itself please. My mouse is hovering ove the 'Add To Basket' button LOL

Cool, thanks.

Erm... my finger slipped and I seem to have bought one too :D

Look forward to it arriving.

Well, if there are no more posts from me after monday/tuesday you'll know she's not happy LOL

I was really tempted by this and it would go nicely with my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 but the reviews I've read have slated its autofocus performance and highlighted a softness problem in the 135mm area.

Can anyone who is using this lens on a Canon body comment? Are these negatives being exaggerated or is that to be expected from a lens at this price?

Thanks in advance :)

I was really tempted by this and it would go nicely with my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 but the reviews I've read have slated its autofocus performance and highlighted a softness problem in the 135mm area.

Can anyone who is using this lens on a Canon body comment? Are these negatives being exaggerated or is that to be expected from a lens at this price?

Thanks in advance :)

Obviously I cant say what its like in canon flavour but if its as good as nikon you dont need to worry about it, Yes its not as fast as a sigma for focussing but once its locked onto a moving subject it just comes into its own the focus becomes superb and never hunts and as for it being soft ....forget that its one of the sharpest lenses I know through the whole zoom range my sigma 70-200f2.8 couldnt manage what this tamron is capable of (y)

my god, i think thatd be a nightmare on the wee d40 body, id have to lean backwards to counterbalance it!

Back