Tamron collar mount

Edit My Images
No
Hi.

I bought a used Tamron 150-600MM g2, which has a collar tripod mount as standard, but the lens didn't come with it.

I don't really want to spend any more as the lens was top of my budget, but I need to be able to mount the lens on a tripod. I can't find any official replacement. Main option seems to be a £50 option from China, which is far more than I want to spend. Does anyone know where I can get the mount really cheap or have any DIY ideas?

Thanks.

Hi.

I bought a used Tamron 150-600MM g2, which has a collar tripod mount as standard, but the lens didn't come with it.

I don't really want to spend any more as the lens was top of my budget, but I need to be able to mount the lens on a tripod. I can't find any official replacement. Main option seems to be a £50 option from China, which is far more than I want to spend. Does anyone know where I can get the mount really cheap or have any DIY ideas?

Thanks.
What is the diameter of the lens where the mount goes?

Thanks. Not sure if it matters that that's a different width though? 24mm wide on the one that specifies the Tamron 150-600MM g2 lens and that is roughly 17mm. Not sure how big the mount foot is either. Looks quite small, but hard to tell. I need cheap but also need to be sure it's stable/strong enough lol.

Thanks. Not sure if it matters that that's a different width though? 24mm wide on the one that specifies the Tamron 150-600MM g2 lens and that is roughly 17mm. Not sure how big the mount foot is either. Looks quite small, but hard to tell. I need cheap but also need to be sure it's stable/strong enough lol.
Would depend a lot on how well it is balanced.

Then the choice is cheap and local or £50 from China :)

Would depend a lot on how well it is balanced.

Then the choice is cheap and local or £50 from China :)

Both are from China lol. The cheap one just states shipping from location as UK so they'll come up in UK searches, which is really annoying.

Both are from China lol. The cheap one just states shipping from location as UK so they'll come up in UK searches, which is really annoying.
From the delivery date "Thu, 29 Dec and Thu, 5 Jan" I would say it is drop shipped from one of the Chinese warehouses in the UK, though the seller may be registered in China,

There are quite a few warehouses in UK that buy in bulk and ship on behalf of sellers in China.

From the delivery date "Thu, 29 Dec and Thu, 5 Jan" I would say it is drop shipped from one of the Chinese warehouses in the UK, though the seller may be registered in China,

There are quite a few warehouses in UK that buy in bulk and ship on behalf of sellers in China.

Yeah, but if they run out of stock you end up waiting for delivery from China, which is frustrating.

Either way, my choice is really hope cheap is strong enough and a good fit or go for the £50 and hope that it's good quality, but know that it should fit. Or have rubbish photos from handheld, but I'll at least be £50 better off lol.

Surprised there aren't any used ones as people clearly take them off.

Yeah, but if they run out of stock you end up waiting for delivery from China, which is frustrating.

Either way, my choice is really hope cheap is strong enough and a good fit or go for the £50 and hope that it's good quality, but know that it should fit. Or have rubbish photos from handheld, but I'll at least be £50 better off lol.

Surprised there aren't any used ones as people clearly take them off.
If they run out of stock, you just get a refund :)
Doesn't happen very often at all in reality.

Did you check the balance point when the lens is on the camera?

No, how can I check the balance point?
Put the lens on the camera, and pick the assembly up where the mount would go and see if it is nose or tail heavy (above a soft surface of course :) ) doesn't need to be accurate, but obviously if it is very out of balance the narrow mounting is a less good idea, if it is fairly well balanced, it may be worth trying it for the price

Last edited:
Put the lens on the camera, and pick the assembly up where the mount would go and see if it is nose or tail heavy (above a soft surface of course :) ) doesn't need to be accurate, but obviously if it is vary out of balance the narrow mounting is a less good idea, if it is fairly well balanced, it may be worth trying it for the price

Ah. Nose heavy. If it weren't on properly, that lens would catapult my camera at speed with the nose dive it takes from the front end weight when holding it at the mount point lol.

Remember the tripod mount point isn't in line with the place the clamp goes, would that compensate if you put the shoe facing forward?

Remember the tripod mount point isn't in line with the place the clamp goes, would that compensate if you put the shoe facing forward?

Possibly a bit. I think the official shoe is fairly long, longer than the £50 third party brand, because it is very nose heavy. I can't find any actual sizes for it though.

Possibly a bit. I think the official shoe is fairly long, longer than the £50 third party brand, because it is very nose heavy. I can't find any actual sizes for it though.
Then your answer may be only the genuine one.
Being very out of balance will make it less steady on the tripod too.

Then your answer may be only the genuine one.
Being very out of balance will make it less steady on the tripod too.

Thanks. I think you're right. Problem is I can't find the genuine one. I saw in a review that someone in the US bought the third party one because they were fed up of waiting for Tamron to get them in stock, but I can't find anything suggesting they are sold separately at all in the UK. I thought there would be, but that's why I'm here. I figured if anyone will know, it'll be someone on here lol.

No idea. I assume the person who sold it to the company either didn't use it or broke it so sold it without and the company either didn't know or didn't care that it should have it.
Was it advertised as coming with the tripod collar in 'pictures and/or description'......in other words did the company you bought it from "mis-sell" it???

Was it advertised as coming with the tripod collar in 'pictures and/or description'......in other words did the company you bought it from "mis-sell" it???

It is a very vague listing, that basically states the lens and compatible camera brand. If it doesn't state otherwise, I expect the standard product in at least good, working condition. Bought from them before, it's a big well known company. Someone obviously didn't check things properly when buying/listing.

Have you tried contacting Tamron?

I personally wouldn’t try to use a lens tripod foot/collar from another lens even if it did fit the lens diameter. Just looking at the size of that lens foot compared to the Tamron it’s clear it wouldn’t support the Tamron lens properly. The Tamron will be much heavier and longer which is the reason it’s so big.

Have you tried contacting Tamron?

I personally wouldn’t try to use a lens tripod foot/collar from another lens even if it did fit the lens diameter. Just looking at the size of that lens foot compared to the Tamron it’s clear it wouldn’t support the Tamron lens properly. The Tamron will be much heavier and longer which is the reason it’s so big.

Thanks.

Not yet. I looked on their site, but it doesn’t have information or a listing for the collar mount, or not that I can find anyway.

I thought I'd see what other options I have first before contacting them.

It is a very vague listing, that basically states the lens and compatible camera brand. If it doesn't state otherwise, I expect the standard product in at least good, working condition. Bought from them before, it's a big well known company. Someone obviously didn't check things properly when buying/listing.
I’d go back to the seller and see if it could be returned. Unless it’s been hugely discounted it will likely cost quite a bit to buy as a spare part. Tamron should have a repairs centre that could quote you a replacement.

I’d go back to the seller and see if it could be returned. Unless it’s been hugely discounted it will likely cost quite a bit to buy as a spare part. Tamron should have a repairs centre that could quote you a replacement.

Yes. I will message the seller. Another £50+ isn't worth it. Frustrating though.

Back