Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD

It's If
Mine has arrived and I got out for a couple of hours yesterday. Not too much difference in weight to my 80-400. Zoom ring took a little getting used to as it rotates the opposite way to the Nikon. AutoFocus is about as fast as the Nikkor and the image quality is looking good too. Weather was crap and lighting really poor so for birds in flight at fast shutter speeds the ISO was up to 4000 but that doesnt really phase the D750 and Im pleased with the images I got. I very found it works well with clouds which is just as well it's just getting your exposure right.
Will have another try with a little better light but its definately a keeper!
I'm finding subjects and weather the biggest enemy at the moment, most the bird life seems to have gone elsewhere along with the sun, I've found it works well on cloudy days which is just as well :) just need to get the exposure right.
Was going to where the buzzards hang out today the rains put paid to that|-O

Last edited:
Mine has arrived and I got out for a couple of hours yesterday. Not too much difference in weight to my 80-400. Zoom ring took a little getting used to as it rotates the opposite way to the Nikon. AutoFocus is about as fast as the Nikkor and the image quality is looking good too. Weather was crap and lighting really poor so for birds in flight at fast shutter speeds the ISO was up to 4000 but that doesnt really phase the D750 and Im pleased with the images I got.

thats odd i thought the tamron from what i read ( even though i have one not even noticed ) zooms ( rotates ) in same direction as nikon lenses and opposite way to canon lenses. ( just tested and my canon lenses rotate anticlockwise and the tamron clockwise which is the same as nikon lenses

Mine has arrived and I got out for a couple of hours yesterday. Not too much difference in weight to my 80-400. Zoom ring took a little getting used to as it rotates the opposite way to the Nikon. AutoFocus is about as fast as the Nikkor and the image quality is looking good too. Weather was crap and lighting really poor so for birds in flight at fast shutter speeds the ISO was up to 4000 but that doesnt really phase the D750 and Im pleased with the images I got.

thats odd i thought the tamron from what i read ( even though i have one not even noticed ) zooms ( rotates ) in same direction as nikon lenses and opposite way to canon lenses. ( just tested and my canon lenses rotate anticlockwise and the tamron clockwise which is the same as nikon lenses

I don't even know which way it rotates tbh, every system I've had seems to have rotated differently so I don't even notice now ;)

Errrrrr, dean is correct! Just checked both of them side by side and they do operate the same way. Just wondering why the Tammy didnt seem the same, perhaps because it has further to rotate to get to full distance so it seems different....... No doubt if the Nikkor stays at home a while I will soon get used to the Tammy.

This is a fairly large crop of an image yesterday where I was trying to freeze a swallow in flight, in poor light conditions. Shutter was 1/1600th and ISO4000 (Auto ISO) just to give an example. First time out with the lens. (D750).
DSC_3626-2 by Graham Breeze, on Flickr

This is a fairly large crop of an image yesterday where I was trying to freeze a swallow in flight, in poor light conditions. Shutter was 1/1600th and ISO4000 (Auto ISO) just to give an example. First time out with the lens. (D750).
DSC_3626-2 by Graham Breeze, on Flickr
Like it hard things to capture at the best of times

In case people aren't aware I learnt that the zoom ring locks at 400mm as well as at 150mm, may be useful to some.

In case people aren't aware I learnt that the zoom ring locks at 400mm as well as at 150mm, may be useful to some.
Didn't realise that, thanks :)

Going to try it on my d700 anyone used it on one? Hasn't left my d7100 yet

I found it focussed slightly quicker on the D700 compared to my D7000 but that should come as no surprise really.
I was wondering that plus the extra buffer, must change lenses give it a try, d700 still one heck of a camera

Last edited:
Got these with the d700, there's a lack of bird life at the moment and the weather is against wildlife photography so was quite pleased with these in the tiny bit of sun that did appear

I'm torn between one of these and the sigma c version on my D7200 one min it's this then next I change my mind lol ahhhhhh

Go for the cheapest I don't think there's anything between them

I think my d700 can cope with the weather but apart from rooks and wood pigeon there's not a lot about:-(

ive seena fair few motorsport shots on the tamron 150-600 flickr group ( worth having a browse there ) though at f/5-6.3 you may find it to slow.
it does have some built in stabilizer control that auto switches it off when doing panning shots but not taken any to test to see if it actually works ( unlike the sigma which has a dedicated switch between OS on, OS panning and OS off ). but you have to ensure its the latest firmware version on the tamron that has it , though I think anything purchased from jan 2015 is fine

I've always fancied a long lens for a bit of fun so couldn't resist the deal on this yesterday. Looking forward to it when I get my body back from Nikon.

I'm seriously considering selling up my Pentax system to get one of these... This or the Sigma 150-600 look like a good upgrade from the old Sigma 150-500 I currently use but, it seems slow to focus an can hunt, these seems much better! I just can't decide on what body to buy to mount it on!! Was thinking a 70D, anyone had any experience with this combo? I do however feel it might be time go FF, I like being able to use iso3200-5000 and keep things very usable (the main reason I haven't left my Pentax K5ii), so maybe a D600... Anyone know how these two perform?

Lens was a nightmare tonight, kept freezing up the camera and the focusing was very poor, might have a duffer. Lugged it all that way up the Crags as well and ended up with no firework shots!

Sorry to hear that,i have probaly done more forum complaining than any one but can i ask,is it Nikon mount,which camera,and when you say freeze are you saying just a refusal to do anything or inability to focus.

Lens was a nightmare tonight, kept freezing up the camera and the focusing was very poor, might have a duffer. Lugged it all that way up the Crags as well and ended up with no firework shots!
:(

I'm seriously considering selling up my Pentax system to get one of these... This or the Sigma 150-600 look like a good upgrade from the old Sigma 150-500 I currently use but, it seems slow to focus an can hunt, these seems much better! I just can't decide on what body to buy to mount it on!! Was thinking a 70D, anyone had any experience with this combo? I do however feel it might be time go FF, I like being able to use iso3200-5000 and keep things very usable (the main reason I haven't left my Pentax K5ii), so maybe a D600... Anyone know how these two perform?

If it was me and considering FF I would be looking at the D750 if you fancy Nikon and can afford it. The lens seems to be performing well on the D750 apart from Chris's problems mentioned above. @snerkler has the combo and is getting good reults from them.

Sorry to hear that,i have probaly done more forum complaining than any one but can i ask,is it Nikon mount,which camera,and when you say freeze are you saying just a refusal to do anything or inability to focus.

Yes Nikon mount on a D750 focusing was poor and then the camera froze up, its going back, not sure if I'm going to get another, I might just order the Tamron 70-200 which seems to get great write ups.

I think I'm going to go APS-C, good deal on a D7200 with a free grip at the moment, I definitely would be wanting a grip anyway so seems like a bit of a saving...

Well my lens has just turned up. Problem is, my body is with Nikon no doubt for a few weeks, grrrr.......

Back