Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD

Received mine today very quick delivery, great price and I have to say I'm blown away :) iq better than I expected, af is brilliant, it's by far the best tele I've ever owned. A lovely weight and easy to hand hold yet more solidly built than what I'd read imo, this is going to make wildlife photography much more fun.
Where you get it from Pete?

Received mine today very quick delivery, great price and I have to say I'm blown away :) iq better than I expected, af is brilliant, it's by far the best tele I've ever owned. A lovely weight and easy to hand hold yet more solidly built than what I'd read imo, this is going to make wildlife photography much more fun.
look forward to seeing some shots

Where you get it from Pete?
Ebay, grey of course at that price but £300 cheaper than wex etc for the same thing ;-) and I'd rather have a private insurance that covers everything than a tamron 5 year one

Last edited:
That 600mm makes a world of difference :) over 3 & 400 and no grinding noise when zooming :) bliss

Last edited:
I am really considering this lens. Can anyone that has purchased the lens from say panamoz or Drev shed any light on getting the firmware updates as i assume they won't ship 100% up to date.

thanks in advance

zeameth

It's only a canon update,I gather their was an af issue when first produced. You'd have to ask them if it's Installed on the ones they're selling, if it's another fit there's no problem
I believe they were updated in may 2014
panomoz don't sell them at the moment

Last edited:
I am really considering this lens. Can anyone that has purchased the lens from say panamoz or Drev shed any light on getting the firmware updates as i assume they won't ship 100% up to date.

thanks in advance

zeameth

I think there has been a recent update on the VR system you would have to google around to find it.

I think there has been a recent update on the VR system you would have to google around to find it.

Thats what i was wondering about, if it turns out to be for the Nikon version is it a ship back to HK for update as i don't believe Tamron UK will touch it. More research needed i think

Nothing wrong with Af on mine and haven't heard of any problems with the af on nikons so you might be searching for a problem that doesn't exist

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Af on mine and haven't heard of any problems with the af on nikons so you might be searching for a problem that doesn't exist

I wouldn't put this in here but its in answer to your post,there can be a problem with the Nikon AF loads of owners get an occasional focus freeze when the lens will not respond,99% of the time its very infrequent and doesn't bother people but it can happen,mine was more often and Tamron couldn't fix it after two attempts,it is a great lens though and if mine had been infrequent i would have kept it.

As I say no problem with mine and your the first ive heard that's had a problem, the only problem I've found on the Internet is with the Canon version which you'll probably only get second hand off Ebay or somewhere so I wouldn't recommend anyone being put off its a joy to use

Last edited:
spent half hour in the field today and managed to get these, once i get used to the lens and have more time results should be better but with the weather and time against me am quite pleased for the first real use, i wouldn't have got these with my 300 or 400mm lenses id been using.

Last edited:
Yes i can't see it coming off my d7100 need to get the best out of it yet but loving it and that's what it's all about

Last edited:
Out of curiosity has anyone used a Tc with this lens?

Interesting does it af? By tricky to hand Hold?

yep was shot AF. can shoot handheld too with the TC on but need some seriously high ISO or Shutter speed ( ideally above 1/1600th sec i think to maintain a sharp image otherwise movement will kick in.
also retains exif with the TC on which is handy as some dont.

Worth considering never enough reach for wildlife

Just ordered mine for delivery tomorrow to use on my D750. If its as good as the feedback suggests my Nikkor 80-400 mk2 will be going up for sale!

Just ordered mine for delivery tomorrow to use on my D750. If its as good as the feedback suggests my Nikkor 80-400 mk2 will be going up for sale!

I originally had the new 80-400 but sold it for the Tammy & the extra 200mm.

Although I thought it was a very good lens for the money, I missed the 80mm wider end. Also the extra weight was a factor for me + using it on the D800 meant I had a bit of leeway for cropping in, so I sold it & bought another 80-400. :cool:

Not tried one yet so Im not sure if I will be happy with the extra weight. Have to say I do like my 80-400 so the Tammy have to be impressive to make me sell it.
not thought about the wider end either...that could be an issue. I will let you know tomorrow!

not a great deal in weight diff over the nikkor 80-400. which weighs just about 1.56kg the tammy weighs in at 1.9kg ( and around 1.6kg with the heavy metal collar off )

Last edited:
I quite frequently get the focus freezing issue on my d7100. Not had any issues on my d810 though.

Been reading snippets of this thread with interest, seems a good "bang for buck" lens. How do you think it would work out for Fast jet photography, going to spend more time down at the Mach Loop over the coming months?

Cheers

Simon

Think it would be fine, not had it long so still getting used to it, I think getting your technique right is the most important part, the lens is more than capable, had some decent shots of bif when ive got it right all trial and error at the moment but getting there

Last edited:
Think it would be fine, not had it long so still getting used to it, I think getting your technique right is the most important part, the lens is more than capable, had some decent shots of bif when ive got it right all trial and error at the moment but getting there

I'm sure in bright light it will be decent, my current Nikon 70-300VR does a decent job, wondering about that relatively small aperture when light levels drop though, how good is the focusing?

Low light haven't tried but it's probably not something I'd use for low light not really designed for that, 2.8 or less is.what you need

Last edited:
Been reading snippets of this thread with interest, seems a good "bang for buck" lens. How do you think it would work out for Fast jet photography, going to spend more time down at the Mach Loop over the coming months?

Cheers

Simon

I bought a Nikon 300mm f4 prime from a guy on FighterControl forums and he said he needed f2.8 due to the light levels shooting in the loop. Plus the primes allowed the use of TC if needed.

A link to his Flickr account for photos in the loop. > https://www.flickr.com/photos/surfr/

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Not from the loop but heres a few i took at RAF Coningsby. Ive got to say it was absolutely brilliant for jet photography, especially with the extra length over say a 300. It didnt struggle in the bad light either on my D7100 as you can see it was very miserable weather in some shots.

_DSC6138-Edit by Ellishmelike, on Flickr

_DSC5825-Edit by Ellishmelike, on Flickr

_DSC5932-Edit by Ellishmelike, on Flickr

Lee

Hi Simon,

Not from the loop but heres a few i took at RAF Coningsby. Ive got to say it was absolutely brilliant for jet photography, especially with the extra length over say a 300. It didnt struggle in the bad light either on my D7100 as you can see it was very miserable weather in some shots.

_DSC6138-Edit by Ellishmelike, on Flickr

_DSC5825-Edit by Ellishmelike, on Flickr

_DSC5932-Edit by Ellishmelike, on Flickr

Lee

very nice.. love the burn on the last shot too

Mine has arrived and I got out for a couple of hours yesterday. Not too much difference in weight to my 80-400. Zoom ring took a little getting used to as it rotates the opposite way to the Nikon. AutoFocus is about as fast as the Nikkor and the image quality is looking good too. Weather was crap and lighting really poor so for birds in flight at fast shutter speeds the ISO was up to 4000 but that doesnt really phase the D750 and Im pleased with the images I got.
Will have another try with a little better light but its definately a keeper!

Back