Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD

Brilliant captures and i'm still no nearer being able to decide on which model to get..:confused:

seriously want one of these,, ignoring Imports from overseas cheapest ive found in Uk is Hdew at £750 ( though theres are most likely grey imports no clue as to what warrnaty hdew are giving with it )
or amazon germany ( free shipping ) current exchange rate brings it in at £667
and cheapest of the lot expedite electronics ( HK but state its shipped from UK warehouse so no import/ tax to add on its £590.78 free delivery ) but cant find to much in way of reviews from people who have got from them though they seem generally favourable on trust pilot.

seriously want one of these,, ignoring Imports from overseas cheapest ive found in Uk is Hdew at £750 ( though theres are most likely grey imports no clue as to what warrnaty hdew are giving with it )
or amazon germany ( free shipping ) current exchange rate brings it in at £667
and cheapest of the lot expedite electronics ( HK but state its shipped from UK warehouse so no import/ tax to add on its £590.78 free delivery ) but cant find to much in way of reviews from people who have got from them though they seem generally favourable on trust pilot.

Hdew will be grey. Bought from there before with no issues.

Hdew will be grey. Bought from there before with no issues.
yeah hdew are local to me, been down there and got my 60D from them. lovely people. but they give there own warranty ( 3 years on my 60D ) obviously the lens wont have tamron 5 year on it but hdew i would guess give at least 1 year standard .

yeah hdew are local to me, been down there and got my 60D from them. lovely people. but they give there own warranty ( 3 years on my 60D ) obviously the lens wont have tamron 5 year on it but hdew i would guess give at least 1 year standard .

Better get yourself down there then :)

I'm planning on ordering one (canon fit) from Amazon for £806. There's £100 cashback from Tamron at the moment, so just a shade over £700 in total delivered. Not too bad.

What is the cashback process like with Tamron? Is it a case of filling out a form as per Canon? Are there any issues in claiming cashback and ordering from Amazon? It's sold by Amazon and not a third party as far as I can see.

The Cashback form has a section on buying from Amazon

"3. Purchases made from Amazon will only be accepted when made directly from amazon.co.uk. Products purchased from 3rd party sellers on the Amazon platform,
whether fulfilled by Amazon or not be accepted"

http://www.tamron.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/uk_cashback/Tamron_cashback_form_2015.pdf

Thanks for that. Should be ok then as its sold by Amazon.co.uk EU SarL and hopefully should have a UK warranty. I think the first thing do when it arrives is check this as I want the 5 yr Tamron warranty and not the standard 1yr Amazon warranty.

Last edited:
Just for anyone else that's interested - the buy from Amazon was a success. I was able to confirm that the lens was a UK model via the serial number and application for the 5 yr warranty was a success via the Tamron website. The £100 cashback should also be ok as I got confirmation from Amazon on its eligibility. Result.

Just bought this lens and it arrived today. Not had chance to use it properly yet, only some test shots in my garden. I have to say I'm very impressed, AF is fast, and it's sharper than I was expecting.

The only odd behaviour is that WB seems to be off on a lot of the shots and needs adjusting in post. Seems to be most noticeable in shadows and darks. A couple of pics of my dog came out purple, and ideas why this may be?

SOOC
DSC_6261_zpsedvrllwz.jpg

And post WB alterations
DSC_6261-2_zps5etgvi4h.jpg

Here's a few to show sharpness, all post with some sharpening applied. The dog shots range from 7200-12800 ISO :eek:
DSC_6304 by TDG-77, on Flickr
DSC_6327 by TDG-77, on Flickr
DSC_6343 by TDG-77, on Flickr
DSC_6350 by TDG-77, on Flickr
DSC_6355 by TDG-77, on Flickr
DSC_6365 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Planning on getting this next was looking at the sigma to buts it's a little more expensive and heavier and in terms of iq your certainly going to see little if any difference, I don't know you always get those that say ones iq is better? There's been plenty of real world tests that can't tell them apart.
Noticed slrhut £569 that's Cheap

Last edited:
Planning on getting this next was looking at the sigma to buts it's a little more expensive and heavier and in terms of iq your certainly going to see little if any difference, I don't know you always get those that say ones iq is better? There's been plenty of real world tests that can't tell them apart.
Noticed slrhut £569 that's Cheap
They are both very good value for money but having owned both I think the Sigma 'C' is the better lens for sure. Not much in it as far as IQ goes at the long end but the Sigma has the advantage of being able to customize it via the USB dock. Also I am sure that the Sigma AF is better - it takes a 1.4x tc very well and AF speed is good if you have a Camera that will AF up to f8 that is (I use a Canon 1.4x with mine), 840mm comes in very handy if you are into wildlife. The Sigma will come down in price but like the Tamron did it will take a while for sure.

Interesting can you hand hold the sigma? I know that can depend on the individual but it's seems quite a bit heavier

the tamron also works with a 1.4xTC and ive handheld it down to 1/60th sec shooting on a canon 60D.
the moonshot above was taken using the TC ( though obviously not handheld ) but the black headed gull above was handheld ( though not at 1/60th obviously! )

seems to be very mixed view between the two with some reporting the AF better on the Tamron.
the sigma you can lock the lens position in multiple places the tamron only when closed down at the 150 end , sigma has two Stablizer positions tamron only 1 but the newest firmware on tamron auto switches the stablization made when panning to allow for that so works very very well.
the usb port on the sigma. great for fine tuning but in all honesty how many people want to have to mess around with doing that on lenses.. there really shouldnt be any need.
in terms of sharpness. again its like splitting hairs the difference between the two. Think you will be either ultimately happy or unhappy with whatever one you choose, becasue end of the day both are still essentially "budget" lenses in comparsion to say a canon 600mm prime and optically they arent going to be on a par with them but then what do you expect from a 600mm lens thats sub £1000

Can I add, the Tamron can be locked at 400 as well as 150. Something I haven't found useful but worth knowing.
never even noticed that , just tested mine and yep seems to be between 390-410 with a little bit of play in it.. odd that its not mentioned anywhere.

the tamron also works with a 1.4xTC and ive handheld it down to 1/60th sec shooting on a canon 60D.
the moonshot above was taken using the TC ( though obviously not handheld ) but the black headed gull above was handheld ( though not at 1/60th obviously! )

seems to be very mixed view between the two with some reporting the AF better on the Tamron.
the sigma you can lock the lens position in multiple places the tamron only when closed down at the 150 end , sigma has two Stablizer positions tamron only 1 but the newest firmware on tamron auto switches the stablization made when panning to allow for that so works very very well.
the usb port on the sigma. great for fine tuning but in all honesty how many people want to have to mess around with doing that on lenses.. there really shouldnt be any need.
in terms of sharpness. again its like splitting hairs the difference between the two. Think you will be either ultimately happy or unhappy with whatever one you choose, becasue end of the day both are still essentially "budget" lenses in comparsion to say a canon 600mm prime and optically they arent going to be on a par with them but then what do you expect from a 600mm lens thats sub £1000
There is a lot more to the Sigma dock than just doing micro focus adjustments, You have three choices of AF speed :- 'Focus priority', 'Speed priority', or the in between setting. You also have three choices of OS settings (dynamic OS is by far the best for hand holding). You can also customize the focus limiter to whatever distances you want (very useful for wildlife/action stuff where you want the fastest possible AF speed). You can customize two different sets and switch between them (or switch off altogether) via a switch on the lens.
I did try a third party 1.4x tc on the Tamron but it was not that good for me (AF was very slow) whereas a 1.4x Canon tc on the Sigma is superb considering it is at f9 (the Canon tc would not even fit on the Tamron). Apart from the customization possibilities on the sigma for me the biggest single factor is the AF which I find a fair bit better than the Tamron, especially for Birds in flight ( I eventually gave up on the Tamron and sold it after it would not lock onto some Curlews in flight, whereas the Sigma has not problems at all even with fast flyers). Attached is a shot taken with the Sigma at the full 600mm (and cropped heavily) - I tried this type of shot with the Tamron but never did nail one.
swallow%20in%20flight1_zpsjxbnzmye.jpg

Last edited:
I always believe if theres mixed opinions there's nothing in it, it just depends what you prefer. I've just ordered the tamron at £574 which is a bargain. If they are still in high demand the prices could rise so though it's a bit tight on the budget you only live once :) :-o

odd that you had problems with the TC. i have tried both Sigma EX DG ( a friends ) and have the Kenko DGX which ive not encountered any issues with in regard to slow focusing ( with suitable light of course, low light will always be a problem with these lenses with or without a TC ).

and yes the sigma has several customizable features which is fine but when out and about in the field unless your carrying the usb adapter required and a laptop then your stuck with the settings you put in at home.

as i say people will either be very happy or very dissapointed depending on there expectations regardless of whether they get the sigma or the tamron.

odd that you had problems with the TC. i have tried both Sigma EX DG ( a friends ) and have the Kenko DGX which ive not encountered any issues with in regard to slow focusing ( with suitable light of course, low light will always be a problem with these lenses with or without a TC ).

and yes the sigma has several customizable features which is fine but when out and about in the field unless your carrying the usb adapter required and a laptop then your stuck with the settings you put in at home.

as i say people will either be very happy or very dissapointed depending on there expectations regardless of whether they get the sigma or the tamron.
Few lenses have these docks and though I'm not knocking it I can live without it, as you say you can't do it the field anyway.

I've found 300 and 400mm too short too often so hopefully can get some better shots with that extra reach, love the Fox Dean

I've found 300 and 400mm too short too often so hopefully can get some better shots with that extra reach, love the Fox Dean

yeah exact same. my 70-300 never quite cut it.
as for mr Fox he was asleep when i first saw him. rather surprised me i was strolling along the river wandle up to carshalton ponds and the Grove park and the footpath is both sides of the river ( a narrow stream section no more than 3-5 feet across ) and the fox was on top of a shed roof in someones garden that overlooked the path. when i first saw it i thought it was stuffed or fake to scare off other wildlife, then it moved a fraction.
middle of the day clearly having a nice little doze in the shade of the overhanging tree with people walking past 7 feet below.

watched him for around 5 mins getting pics before he spotted me in the above shot. but prior to that this is how he was

lazy fox 2 by Dean Messenger, on Flickr

I found our country foxes very allusive, very hard to photograph and of course when ive seen them- no camera but I'll keep at it.

From your comment about carrying the USB adapter in the field you obviously have not got a clue what it is all about!! You just set-up it all up at home on the PC and then the sets are stored inside the lens - once you have done it you just select the custom mode you want via a switch on the lens.
Re the 1.4x tc I did use a Kenko DGX with the Tamron and I can assure you the AF speed is nowhere near as fast as using a Canon 1.4x tc on the Sigma - unlike you I have actually owned both lenses.
I would be interested to see any bird pics you have taken with the Tamron and a 1.4x tc at the full 840mm, in my experience of owning/using both lenses IQ and fine detail is much better with the Sigma.

Last edited:
Few lenses have these docks and though I'm not knocking it I can live without it, as you say you can't do it the field anyway.
See my post above, you do not need to take it in the field - it is stored in the lens, you just select what you want from a switch on the lens.
There are lots of folk who have owned just one of these lenses, and most say they prefer the one they own be it the Tamron or the Sigma which is human nature but It is only someone who has owned both lenses that can really make a constructive opinion IMHO.

True but the evidence I've seen suggests there's little in it, I saw a good review from two pros shooting wildlife in Africa one using the sigma and one using the, both preferred one slightly over the other but overall they're was little between them which to be honest you'd expect.If they were the same in price I'd probably have gone sigma tbh.

Last edited:
True but the evidence I've seen suggests there's little in it, I saw a good review from two pros shooting wildlife in Africa one using the sigma and one using the, both preferred one slightly over the other but overall they're was little between them which to be honest you'd expect.If they were the same in price I'd probably have gone sigma tbh.
That's fair enough, I am sure you will enjoy the lens. I bought both the Tamron and the Sigma when they were both at there release price in the UK and the sigma was a bit cheaper.

I'll have to see how it goes, If I don't get better results which I should do :) than with lenses I've had I'll give it up:confused:

I'll have to see how it goes, If I don't get better results which I should do :) than with lenses I've had I'll give it up:confused:
I am sure you will enjoy the lens Peter, especially if you are coming from lesser lenses. Like I said before they are all very good value for money.

I am not over enthusiastic about any of these relatively cheap third party zooms but can only give my options of the two lenses having owned them both. I have come down market from some very good Canon prime lenses (Canon 300/2.8 IS and Canon 500/4 IS). The big white primes are just too heavy for me these days so I have reluctantly had to come down to something that is more manageable (I am a weakling OAP lol). These third party 'cheapies' are not in the same league as a good Canon or Nikon long prime that's for sure but as lightweight walkabouts they are not too bad IMO.

Last edited:
The top primes I could never justify buying as with most of us but I know how good they are, these I think are good affordable alternatives which were badly needed. I think some of the images speak for themselves, I'm not so sure you'd get 9 grands worth better out the primes either

Last edited:
From your comment about carrying the USB adapter in the field you obviously have not got a clue what it is all about!! You just set-up it all up at home on the PC and then the sets are stored inside the lens - once you have done it you just select the custom mode you want via a switch on the lens.
Re the 1.4x tc I did use a Kenko DGX with the Tamron and I can assure you the AF speed is nowhere near as fast as using a Canon 1.4x tc on the Sigma - unlike you I have actually owned both lenses.
I would be interested to see any bird pics you have taken with the Tamron and a 1.4x tc at the full 840mm, in my experience of owning/using both lenses IQ and fine detail is much better with the Sigma.

sorry but thats a pretty rude and arrogant comment to state i havent got a clue what it is about.. in fact i have.. and yes im fully aware there is a custom switch on the sigma.. which has c1 and c2 positions so allows you to switch between 2 possible settings but at a cost of having to buy the additional dock and then choosing the two custom options available for when out shooting with no way to change the selected choices until you hook it back up to the dock and PC.
would be interesting to see what ACTUAL difference the custom settings make in real world scenario or if its just a gimmick.
really dont see what you have against the tamron ( especially as this is a Tamron specific thread ) and ive never said anywhere here one is better or worse than the other. in fact i have clearly stated not once but twice whatever lens people choose they will either be happy or disappointed with.
as for the TC being better or worse... apples and oranges. your comparing a different TC on one lens compared to the other, hardly a comparison. you may as well compare a 2x canon TC on a 70-200 F/2.8 in that case.
as for birds in flight.. sorry no can do. as i havent taken any yet at 600mm
im sure i will have some soon though

I think it's a bit of a gimmick imho, more of a marketing ploy on Sigmas part rather than anything that useful

Can I add, the Tamron can be locked at 400 as well as 150. Something I haven't found useful but worth knowing.
Fantastic, I've had my Tamron since they were first released and didn't know that it could locked at 400mm as well as 150mm.
Really useful tip and thanks for sharing.
Love this lens, its been glued to the front of my camera since I got it.

Last edited:
Received mine today very quick delivery, great price and I have to say I'm blown away :) iq better than I expected, af is brilliant, it's by far the best tele I've ever owned. A lovely weight and easy to hand hold yet more solidly built than what I'd read imo, this is going to make wildlife photography much more fun.

Last edited:
Back