Technical problems with V550 scanner

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit of a boring query here and I doubt anyone has that much technical knowledge about scanners and their faults, but my questions is whether anyone has had any faults with scanners and how they got them fixed? Is it worth contacting the manufacturer?? Maybe the scanner is b******* and I need a new one...??

I can post screenshots of the results if that would help...

Cheers,
Tom

Post again when you're more awake? You haven't said what your issues are. Have a good night, Tom!

Bit of a boring query here and I doubt anyone has that much technical knowledge about scanners and their faults, but my questions is whether anyone has had any faults with scanners and how they got them fixed? Is it worth contacting the manufacturer?? Maybe the scanner is b******* and I need a new one...??

I can post screenshots of the results if that would help...

Cheers,
Tom
Between us in the F&C we've had or used most of the scanners out there, I can't guarantee we'll be able to tell you what the solution is but we'll give it our best shot.

Give us as much information as possible and yes, definitely include screen shots.

Between us in the F&C we've had or used most of the scanners out there, I can't guarantee we'll be able to tell you what the solution is but we'll give it our best shot.

Give us as much information as possible and yes, definitely include screen shots.

It seems to have sorted itself out... one attempt was a bit dodgy but managed to get all the negs scanned. It was living in a little office room in the garage so I thought maybe it was a bit cold as there’s no real insulation and it’s been bitter recently. I brought it in which seems to have done the trick. If it plays up again I’ll get some screen shots. It was pretty weird!

Anyway, sorry for wasting your time and thanks for trying to help!

It seems to have sorted itself out... one attempt was a bit dodgy but managed to get all the negs scanned. It was living in a little office room in the garage so I thought maybe it was a bit cold as there’s no real insulation and it’s been bitter recently. I brought it in which seems to have done the trick. If it plays up again I’ll get some screen shots. It was pretty weird!

Anyway, sorry for wasting your time and thanks for trying to help!
Glad you got it sorted and I wouldn't worry about wasting our time, to be honest most of the folk that frequent the F&C section do very little anyway and helping other users at least helps tip the balance towards an element of productivity ;)

In the urban dictionary F&C is very naughty :eek:...just saying reading:- do very little anyway
Is it? What does it mean? I can't check I'm on a work computer and I might be sacked :D

Glad you got it sorted and I wouldn't worry about wasting our time, to be honest most of the folk that frequent the F&C section do very little anyway and helping other users at least helps tip the balance towards an element of productivity ;)
I feel aggrieved. Some of us do nothing, never mind very little. :exit:

Thanks! Fingers crossed it doesn't play up again...

https://www.epson.co.uk/products/scanners/consumer-scanners/perfection-v550-photo/Tech-Specs

Epson does suggest the scanner should be operated in an environment between 10-35 degrees celsius (although that page also suggests storage at 25 degrees celsius+!). Might have to do with the motor or scanning element.

Ah, that might be the issue. I reckon it was around 2-3 degrees in there! And it worked better when I brought it in. I’ll need to find a new winter scanning location...

If the light source is anything like those tube type lights that were so popular in kitchens, garages and shops yeas ago, when the temperature is lower than a couple of degrees C they don't like starting up and just sit there flashing and flickering intermittently like when they're first switched on, rather than blinking into action and lighting up fully. I suspect something similar with your scanner.

Last edited:
Ok, it’s happening again! This time the scanner is indoors so it probably isn’t due to temperature. I’ve attached a screenshot this time... in case it’s relevant it’s 4 frames of 6x4.5 - you can see the edges of each frame. Any ideas?!

IMG_5149.JPG

I'm assuming you weren't in the Misty Mountains west of Mirkwood when you took these!

What software are you using to scan? Reason I ask is that the SRDx option in Silverfast (scratch & dust removal) sent my scans completely buzzywark when I turned it on.

I'm assuming you weren't in the Misty Mountains west of Mirkwood when you took these!

What software are you using to scan? Reason I ask is that the SRDx option in Silverfast (scratch & dust removal) sent my scans completely buzzywark when I turned it on.

I’m just using the Epson software that came with the scanner. I’ve used the scanner for ages with no problems and haven’t changed anything...

I’m just using the Epson software that came with the scanner. I’ve used the scanner for ages with no problems and haven’t changed anything...
It could be the scanner but just in case, I'd remove the software and re-install.

Have you tried a document scan?

It looks like 3 separate scans with the negative/head moving relatively each time! You don't accidentally have some sort of multiscan option switched on, do you?

It looks like 3 separate scans with the negative/head moving relatively each time! You don't accidentally have some sort of multiscan option switched on, do you?

I did wonder whether I had accidentally selected some weird option... I can’t imagine an option that gives scans like that though!

It could be the scanner but just in case, I'd remove the software and re-install.

Have you tried a document scan?

I might try scanning a normal document to see if it has problems with that too. Uninstall/reinstall might have to be a last resort

Probably best left alone when it's busy. Unless you're the old bill.

Seriously though there might have been less obvious fogging in the guts of the thing not necessarily just on the glass.
It has acclimatised to the indoors and still not working so it's not temperature of fogging (or dogging). I might try uninstall/reinstall next...

I might try scanning a normal document to see if it has problems with that too. Uninstall/reinstall might have to be a last resort
I've uninstalled and reinstalled and I've tried scanning a normal document, all to no avail. Maybe I should try and contact Epson... :(

I always go through some simple steps to absolutely rule out any technical stuff on my side:

Different USB port
Different USB cable
Different computer
Clean scanner bed, particularly in the areas where the scanner will calibrate (near the top end on most Epson scanners)
Change/reinstall software (as you have done)
Change negative (you never know)

I wonder if some condensation formed between the change of temperature going from outside to inside. If you have exhausted the above steps, it probably is time to contact Epson.

I had my V750 sorted by Epson a couple of years back, iirc it was a fixed price of about £115 inc VAT and I think it included postage.

it took about a week and it’s been good as gold since.

I contacted these guys by email and I’m pretty sure it got shipped to a 3rd party service centre.

Contact us at enquiries@epson.co.uk or at the Epson Hotline 01952 607111 (Monday to Fridaybetween 9.00 am and 5.30 pm)

Epson UK Ltd
Westside, London Road
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire HP3 9TD
Tel.: +44 (0) 1442 261144
Fax: +44 (0) 1442 227227

I always go through some simple steps to absolutely rule out any technical stuff on my side:

Different USB port
Different USB cable
Different computer
Clean scanner bed, particularly in the areas where the scanner will calibrate (near the top end on most Epson scanners)
Change/reinstall software (as you have done)
Change negative (you never know)

I wonder if some condensation formed between the change of temperature going from outside to inside. If you have exhausted the above steps, it probably is time to contact Epson.

My mum (whose scanner it is that I've broken!) is taking it home to try on her computer. I've also emailed Epson technical support so I'll see what they say...

Back