Terrible service from Park Cameras in Burgess Hill

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Well today’s experience at Park Cameras was definitely my last. Approximately 6 weeks ago I pre-ordered a Canon R6 in person at the store and on Wednesday I received a call I was unable to take. I listened to the message left on my voicemail and it was to inform me that my camera was expected on Friday 28th and that I could collect it on that day. I made a phone all later in the day to inform them the earliest I could collect was bank holiday Monday. The customer sales advisor said no problem. So i left it at that.
Today comes and we travel up from Fareham to collect my allocated R6 and was looking to add another lens and a spare battery to the order. We arrived at the store greeted by a sales advisor asking if he could help us with anything in particular. I replied yes. I am here to collect my R6 and some extras. “Exciting stuff”, he said, “I’ll just go and get it for you - we have a number in stock.” 10 minutes later, he comes over to me to tell me There is not one for me in stock! After a low key conversation with other members of staff, I was left not only disappointed that I had waisted my bank holiday day off travelling up to the shop, I was disappointed that my camera hadn’t in fact been delivered to the store, and extremely disappointed by the whole customer experience there. Over the years I have spent considerable money with Park Cameras but after today’s shambles, I can honestly say I will never set foot in that place again! I got the distinct impression they couldn’t give a toss and couldn’t wait to get me out of the shop. I never once raised my voice, or used unacceptable language. They simply didn’t care.

So what’s the outcome? Did you get a camera?is one on its way or did you get a refund?. Or is it that a preorder isn’t paid for until collected? I always find it’s the resolution of the issue that dictates good or bad service rather than a problem in the first place as errors do occur.

Knowing you wanted one ( A sale ) they may have sold your one to another customer ( another sale )

Could you not get an R6 from London Camera Exchange in Southampton?
It's a lot closer to you than Burgess Hill.

Few months ago I ordered and paid for a used D7500 from Park Cameras, couple of hours later received a call to say that the guy went to the warehouse to get the D7500 only to find it had been sold - money refunded but not happy.

My mate used to work in a store, he'd see orders come in, call the customer and then when they turned up discovered the items missing from the warehouse. As it turned out the Warehouse manager was actually stealing the stock...

But I agree if I had pre ordered something, told to come and pick it up and then found it out of stock I'd find annoying (understatement).

Why don't you ask them to deliver it to your address when it comes in?

Save you lots of petrol / diesel / amps / LPG.

IMO they have changed compared to many years back.

I had cause to take them to task when I bought my Canon 5D3, I explicitly bought a body only...... but what they presented me with was a kit box 'labeled' lens removed.

I complained about that on the spot and spoke on the internal phone to a manager who told me the website was incorrect as all stock was kit, though some with lens removed to serve the customers who only wanted the body!!!

If I had known that at the outset I would have shopped elsewhere. Bearing in mind I was a returning customer, it all left a bad taste in the mouth :(

Last edited:
I had cause to take them to task when I bought my Canon 5D3, I explicitly bought a body only...... but what they presented me with was a kit box 'labeled' lens removed.

I don't have a problem with that.

First SLR I ever bought was offered as a kit - I couldn't afford that - asked in the shop if they just had the body and they separated out the lens - reduced the price - and sold me the body.

I've had a few items since that have been split that way - as long as the stock is UK and has warranty ? The if the price is right why not?

Have dealt with them a couple of times and they were pretty useless each time.

Won't be using them again.

Do the manufacturers allow them to do that? Isn't it a bit like a supermarket multi-pack, not to be sold individually?

Do the manufacturers allow them to do that? Isn't it a bit like a supermarket multi-pack, not to be sold individually?

Don't suppose they care as long as they get to shift their products.
Not exactly hidden, often see split from kit in white box openly advertised

Had a bit of argy bargy with a Pakistani shopkeeper who flogged me a pack of softmints from a multi pack
Didn't really care, but he was a rude bleeder and felt like giving him some grief

Last edited:
I ordered my big stopper from them a few weeks ago, they said the item was in stock, accepted the order, then sat on it for a week. In the end I emailed them and said hey let’s cancel it then if you’re not going to send it, and I went to Wex and got it next day. Ironically as soon as I said cancel it and ordered with Wex, Park started emailing me saying it was being sent out that day etc etc and billed me. Then had to go through the cancelling / refund process.
Just seemed to me like nobody gives a damn anymore.

Reactions: TG.
IMO it is not just about the purchase alone......going to a camera shop used to be an experience. Sadly in the case I mentioned it was not the most happy of one.

Though unrelated to this thread, I would say the same re: my recent new(to me) car buying experience......car great (very happy with it) individual sales guy good......but practical ways they handled the arrival of us coming on a booked test drive etc, left a lot to be desired. My surmise was that their management structure was poorly organised :(

I ordered my big stopper from them a few weeks ago, they said the item was in stock, accepted the order, then sat on it for a week. In the end I emailed them and said hey let’s cancel it then if you’re not going to send it, and I went to Wex and got it next day. Ironically as soon as I said cancel it and ordered with Wex, Park started emailing me saying it was being sent out that day etc etc and billed me. Then had to go through the cancelling / refund process.
Just seemed to me like nobody gives a damn anymore.

They seem to do this a lot.

Don't suppose they care as long as they get to shift their products.
Not exactly hidden, often see split from kit in white box openly advertised

Had a bit of argy bargy with a Pakistani shopkeeper who flogged me a pack of softmints from a multi pack
Didn't really care, but he was a rude bleeder and felt like giving him some grief
Whats the relevance of him being a Pakistani? :LOL:

When the X-T2 was released I pre-ordered with Park in London, had an email to say it would be arriving on such a date, went in the day after only to be told "yours didn't come in".

I can only surmise that it did indeed arrive but they told more people than they had stock, I demanded my deposit back (50% if I recall) which was hassle in itself, then went to HDEW. Never set foot in one of their shops since.

I took a perfectly good Nikon lens to Park cameras to use as a P/X for another. The first thing the lad said was it had dust specks in it. Like hell it did, so I challenged him. He went out the back and shortly after admitted he was wrong. Maybe the shop staff are told to "screw" the customers as much as possible, or that was my opinion of them. No wonder Grey imports are selling so well and Park cameras are my nearest camera store where I won't go back to again

Last edited:
Well they are the nearest local shop to me. I spent thousands of pounds at their store over the years but I have to say their in-store customer service is not what it used to be.

I had my sensor booked for a clean with them. A week later I collected the camera, got back home to fine the sensor more dirty than before they took it it. They appologised and took it for another clean. Few days later, collected the camera and tested in the shop this time, nothing has been done even though it was wrapped in a plastic bag indicating that it has been cleaned. I was very frustrated and insisted that they should clean it immediately and they did. No discount or compensation for my wasted time and travel.

Pre-ordered my Fuji XT2 from them, received the call to go and collect. When I got there, the sales advisor brought out a damaged box, put it in a bag and handed over. I refused to accept it and asked him to go and get another XT2. He said that this box had my name on it and that it was unfair to offer other customers my damaged box. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I argued that they shouldn't be giving any of their customers a damaged box for a brand new expensive product. Without any care in the world, he offered me a £10 refund. Took my full refund and never stepped in that store again.

I guess, a different advisor could have handeled my case better but it was too late. I started looking around and I now buy my photography equipment from UK stores that sadly aren't local to me.

Well they are the nearest local shop to me. I spent thousands of pounds at their store over the years but I have to say their in-store customer service is not what it used to be.

I had my sensor booked for a clean with them. A week later I collected the camera, got back home to fine the sensor more dirty than before they took it it. They appologised and took it for another clean. Few days later, collected the camera and tested in the shop this time, nothing has been done even though it was wrapped in a plastic bag indicating that it has been cleaned. I was very frustrated and insisted that they should clean it immediately and they did. No discount or compensation for my wasted time and travel.

Pre-ordered my Fuji XT2 from them, received the call to go and collect. When I got there, the sales advisor brought out a damaged box, put it in a bag and handed over. I refused to accept it and asked him to go and get another XT2. He said that this box had my name on it and that it was unfair to offer other customers my damaged box. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I argued that they shouldn't be giving any of their customers a damaged box for a brand new expensive product. Without any care in the world, he offered me a £10 refund. Took my full refund and never stepped in that store again.

I guess, a different advisor could have handeled my case better but it was too late. I started looking around and I now buy my photography equipment from UK stores that sadly aren't local to me.

wth!! i don't understand the logic! so its fair for you receive a damaged box but not for others?

wth!! i don't understand the logic! so its fair for you receive a damaged box but not for others?

Exactly, thats why I couldn't believe what I was hearing. His view was that my pre-order box was received damaged and that I should just accept it and put it down to bad luck.

Having previously given them a poor review, here's a good one:-
Ordered and paid for lens at 2-30pm yesterday - lens arrived today at 1-15pm exactly as described and fair price too.

This post below just makes me glad I use A J Johnson in Glasgow for sensor cleaning. Nothing is too much trouble, you can do an F22 sky test there - if you spot any they redo it on the spot.

Back