Tesco, Asda and other cheap processing thread.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
In response to Richard's new thread "Show us your film shots" thread, maybe we could use this for discussions on cheap processing :D

Last edited:
In response to Richard's new thread "Show us your film shots" thread, maybe we could use this for discussions on cheap processing :D

Well the problem is:- Newbies keep asking where to get processing done and these posts can pop up anywhere.

Well the problem is:- Newbies keep asking where to get processing done and these posts can pop up anywhere.

Not a problem Brian, we can just point them this way (y)

This is a good idea, especially when to take into consideration the apparent difference between the different supermarket branches. Maybe list the good and the bad with prices and redirect others where needed.

Used Asda twice recently and found them very good. Fast turn around, negs treated with respect and prints fair for the price. That isn't to say the printing was of a standard you'd hang in a gallery but you'll pay for a hand print if that's your bag. Dust free, unscratched and without too much colour cast would be the best description.

My local tesco has removed their processing service and are apparently replacing it with a Tesco mobile store. Just a warning ,as this may be a national roll-out.

Perhaps Yv will make it a sticky at the top of the F&C section.

My local tesco has removed their processing service and are apparently replacing it with a Tesco mobile store. Just a warning ,as this may be a national roll-out.

Yes, mine too. Looks like Tescos is moving on.

Why do they need a mobile store inside a supermarket? wouldn't it be more sensible out on the road where it can get to the housebound customers?

With scans, can people include res and file size please.

With Tesco scans it's usually a file of about 1.3mb, so I reckon it would be equivalent of about a 4-5mp digital shot.

Last edited:
I got a couple of prints done @ Asda for the 1hr Processing hoohaa and they came out awful! My pictures came out waaaay to dark and the colours were completely blown. They also looked extremely grainy. So I purchased some good photo paper and printed a couple out at home and the results were so much better.
Asda have totally lost my loyalty now :(

I got a couple of prints done @ Asda for the 1hr Processing hoohaa and they came out awful! My pictures came out waaaay to dark and the colours were completely blown. They also looked extremely grainy. So I purchased some good photo paper and printed a couple out at home and the results were so much better.
Asda have totally lost my loyalty now :(

So the film scan's were okay to print at home, but their own print's were terrible... that doesn't sound good :shake:

I've only used Tesco at Osterley and Asda at Park Royal, both west London. Tesco's have been acceptable mostly, they haven't destroyed anything and I always re-scan at home to get the TIFF files. £1.98 for process and scan average sizes are about 800kb. Asda have done a couple of films and have supplied both a hi-res 300-900kb and a low res version 50-100kb.

I never bother with prints from these places as they are normally test films for new cameras. I can always either print at home or have them done somewhere where I know they'll take a little care and know what they're doing.

Tesco scan with a little tweak in Picnik, Nikon F3 Fuji Superia 200

4907571411_725df79714.jpg

and the original scan from Tesco

4908017602_c05c4e5825.jpg

This is an Asda scan from a Yashica Electro GTN, Kodak Portra VC 160 film, this is as scanned by Asda, a hi-res at 716kb

4404941306_3a27fed68d.jpg

Last edited:
I too have used Asda at Park Royal. I think they dried my last roll of colour negatives in an old hoover bag - covered in dust and roller marks running the whole length of the film. They were the main reason I went back to B&W, develop and scan myself and let them print it from a memory stick which they can do quite well.

I too have used Asda at Park Royal. I think they dried my last roll of colour negatives in an old hoover bag - covered in dust and roller marks running the whole length of the film. They were the main reason I went back to B&W, develop and scan myself and let them print it from a memory stick which they can do quite well.

You probably haven't seen my experience with Morrison posted here before, I don't reckon the m/c had been used for a while, well the guy said "they would be closing the photo side down":-

Just developed only:-
Morrisondev1.jpg

I rewashed the neg and a few more touch-ups in Photoshop:-
afterwashing024.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps Yv will make it a sticky at the top of the F&C section.

It would be better to have two sticky's TBH, one dedicated to cheap and easy film processing by Asda, Tesco etc for newbies who just want the images and another for more 'serious' good quality/pro labs like Peak Imaging or Club 35 for those that want actual great quality processing and are willing to pay some more.

I always get prints not scans so Tesco and Asda don't really appeal to me as several people have commented on how they can be quite poor prints and I have given up on high street shops like Jessops for the same reason, they (Jessops etc) charge about the same for a next day C-41 processing service 6"x4" as Club 35 do for standard 6"x4" and usually Club 35 get my order back, with much better quality, in 2 to 3 days after sending. If I really did need 'rush' processing I would use my local Boots as they do a good job unlike Jessops who managed to do an 'enhancement' on my colours that just ended up looking unnatural.

***I always get prints***

erm and how many do you throw away? Maybe be better to find a good supermarket to dev and scan to a CD, correct any faults, spots or cropping on your selected shots then instead of mickey mouse prints of 6X4" or 5X7" (which many people get), send the selected jpg files off for a 10X12 print @ 34p each.

You probably haven't seen my experience with Morrison posted here before, I don't reckon the m/c had been used for a while, well the guy said "they would be closing the photo side down":-

Just developed only:-

<snipped the horror....>

I rewashed the neg and a few more touch-ups in Photoshop:-

<snipped the rather nice remedy>

Cosford?

-Rob

The Tesco store at Leyland is still doing film developing and scanning. Current price is 99p for developing and £1.98 for scanning including an index print so £2.97

Tesco Rutherglen Glasgow.............no service available

Tesco Shettleston Glasgow..............ruined 2 rolls ...do not use

Airforce museum at Hendon (Grahame Park)......London.

MTL3 with Pentax 35mm and a very small flash.

Thanks for that :)

Moving on....

Bearing in mind that there seems to be little consistency between stores, where have we got for cost effective (cheap!) developing on a national or semi national scale?

Boots
Tesco
Asda
Morrisons
Jessops

Any more?

-Rob

ps I hate you all (not really! :love:), y'all made me do it though... Check out the recent addition to the camera list.

<<<<<<<---------

Found these people Film to CD including the developing and index print £4.50 inc return P&P, if there quality is good scan resolution 2048 x 3072 file size of around 18mb per image then we could have a winner.

http://www.photo-express.co.uk/digital.html

Found these people Film to CD including the developing and index print £4.50 inc return P&P, if there quality is good scan resolution 2048 x 3072 file size of around 18mb per image then we could have a winner.

http://www.photo-express.co.uk/digital.html

Both me and a workmate are going to try these out think we should mention that we got it from TP when we send them in

Both me and a workmate are going to try these out think we should mention that we got it from TP when we send them in

Very good idea, I will do the same, maybe a discount in the offing.:D

Well, what can I say, just spoke to Nigel Edwards the owner of Photo Express and he has stated that all declared TP members will receive a .50p discount per item on each order, so three films and you get £1.50p discount

He, Nigel sounds like a cracking good guy and I will be sending my films tomorrow or Sunday, Nigel also said that that minimum order value for TP members would of course be £4.00 and not the listed £4.50.

Nigel is going to register and confirm this.

I hope that this is OK with the Admin and Mods, If not please inform me of the correct approach.
Regards,

Richard.

Last edited:
Well, what can I say, just spoke to Nigel Edwards the owner of Photo Express and he has stated that all declared TP members will receive a .50p discount per item on each order, so three film and you get £1.50p discount

He, Nigel sounds like a cracking good guy and I will be sending my to films tomorrow or Sunday, Nigel also said that that minimum order value for TP members would of course be £4.00 and not the listed £4.50.

Nigel is going to register and confirm this.

I hope that this is OK with the Admin and Mods, If not please inform me of the correct approach.
Regards,

Richard.

That sounds like a good deal. It is cheaper than Tescos when you add the fuel on as I don't normally shop there :)

I have a few films that need doing plus a couple of APS films that are about 8 years old that I might chuck it too.

Back