Tesco, Asda and other cheap processing thread.

Well, three more rolls of 35mm and another excellent job by Photo Express, Hull.

I still reckon that at the TP discount rate of Dev and Scan at 4 quid a roll, plus 1.50 ish for the envelope and outgoing postage, it's way cheaper than driving over to ASDA or Boots to get my films processed locally.

-Rob

Was at Tesco today and operator was saying it could be as early as November when they will stop doing film in the store.

Err.... Nigel?

I forgot to ask on the phone...

Do you dev 120 film at all?

-Rob

Well I was pleased with my first 120 order from Snaps photo services (sent off 5 rolls)....clean negs, dev only for £2.50 and returned in stiff cardboard packing that the postman has to knock to hand over. But the problem is postal charges i.e. about £3.50 extra for any order, inc is £2 return recorded delivery.
I'm still looking for £2.50 dev only (in a day) in the London area :bang:
edit: I'd forgotten I'd posted a place doing it for £2.50...damn memory

Last edited:
Called into Morrisons today and they still will develope film in about 30mins for £1 erm well my last experience wasn't too good, but if you are testing say a lens with cheap film from the bootie it's all you need. The development is ok it's just the crap on the neg, but if the machine was used by many filmies the problem would probably go away. If you want prints they will do them in 1 hour for £5 inc dev of film.

So currently the cheapest 'try it and see' is Tesco develop and scan then?

So currently the cheapest 'try it and see' is Tesco develop and scan then?

Yep going soon though, and some Tescos are better than others, so you could have the film dev only for 99p and if you have a scanner you can check the results (for spots and hairs).

Yep going soon though, and some Tescos are better than others, so you could have the film dev only for 99p and if you have a scanner you can check the results (for spots and hairs).

I've got some out of date films and a few C41 Black and White that I just want developing, not so bothered how good these ones are really. Their scanning has to be better than mine even if their developing sucks.

Any idea where the nearest Tesco that does film developing to Liverpool is? Their website doesn't seem to make it easily obvious.

Any idea where the nearest Tesco that does film developing to Liverpool is? Their website doesn't seem to make it easily obvious.

Most of them do I would just ring the nearest one and ask them if they do it and if not who does :)

Liverpool sucks for Tescos, we don't have a proper superstore. Maybe on the Wirral. I'll try ringing tomorrow.

I got a couple done at Tesco today and they did ok, just developed and scanned. They are also happy to scan my home developed films.... for the next three weeks anyway which is when the machines get taken out. Asda is ok too by the look of it, 4 films developed and put onto one CD is £8.98, I've not asked if they'll just do scanning yet.

Well once Tesco stop film, the money I spend on food will be switched to Morrisons or Asda...so if only say 10 filmies do the same that's about £10,000 to £20,000 lost trade per year.

Well once Tesco stop film, the money I spend on food will be switched to Morrisons or Asda...so if only say 10 filmies do the same that's about £10,000 to £20,000 lost trade per year.

but Asda and some Morrisons already do film too, so unless you dev a film each time you need food, then the only reason not to use Tesco, is because you dont want to - not because they do/dont do film :thinking:

I'm going to see if a local Tesco still does film, as I have about 10 that I need doing. I'm not ready to break open the Tentinal yet

but Asda and some Morrisons already do film too, so unless you dev a film each time you need food, then the only reason not to use Tesco, is because you dont want to - not because they do/dont do film :thinking:

Well a good Tesco is the best and cheapest and most will dev and do a CD within 30mms to I hour...and I would assume filmies use one film a month and spend at least £100 at Tesco while having it done, so when they go to Morrisons or Asda for a film to be dev (for that time), Tesco would lose the trade.
For me, I use Tesco 2 or three times a month and my Tesco produced VG results, but if they don't do film what's the point.....but unfortunately Morrisons can't do a CD and their dev negs for £1 were spotty last time I used them, but I'll give them another go as I have my own scanner.

Last edited:
As a sort of on, sort of off topic query with Tesco and Asda, I've asked both of them to scan some negs for me which they were both happy to do, they both failed, they tell me that it's incompatible with their machinery and won't scan. Any ideas why? Tescos have done black and white XP2 (colour process) for me and they can scan this no problem, in fact they did a really good job, why would proper black and white negs be any different?

Asda scanned Tri-X for me and the jpgs were all sepia tinted. I think this must be to compensate for the base colour of C41 processed films (colour and B/W). Once I converted the images to greyscale in Picasa, the results were OK.

I got a couple of prints done @ Asda for the 1hr Processing hoohaa and they came out awful! My pictures came out waaaay to dark and the colours were completely blown. They also looked extremely grainy. So I purchased some good photo paper and printed a couple out at home and the results were so much better.
Asda have totally lost my loyalty now :(

I,ve had film and digital printing done at Asda the digital were,nt bad to be fair but film print,s were terrible , my Tesco does,nt do them anymore , best film I had done were Lab35 not sure if they still do them now as I hav,nt seen anything of them .

Asda scanned Tri-X for me and the jpgs were all sepia tinted. I think this must be to compensate for the base colour of C41 processed films (colour and B/W). Once I converted the images to greyscale in Picasa, the results were OK.

Both stores the machine just point blank refused to read the film at all, the staff were unable to explain why, the only real difference I can see is the leader has been cut off on the home processed stuff.

While not that cheap I recently sent a film to Bonus Print. Those of you who are old enough to remember the pre minilab days of the late 70's will be familiar with the name and the little blue envelopes.
Now that some companies are installing drylab kiosk based systems this is going to leave film users out in the cold.
I sent a single roll of Poundland Kodak 200 to them which cost about £3.99 (1.50 P&P) to develop it took about 2 weeks door-door (they do have a rush process for 50p).
The film and prints are very good, no spots or scratches; possibly slightly light for my taste but acceptable, colour is good and they're on Kodak paper.
So if you don't live near a film processor you can do as we did in the 70's send them to Bonusprint.
I ordered a few envelopes from their website, I think as processing gets more erratic and hard to find this may be the best solution.
Mark

Both stores the machine just point blank refused to read the film at all, the staff were unable to explain why, the only real difference I can see is the leader has been cut off on the home processed stuff.

If they were using a Fuji Frontier they needed to put it in re-print mode and then select B&W film.
This is the setting used for getting mono prints from colour neg so it scans then de-saturates so you shouldn't get prints with a colour cast.
Mark

I,ve had film and digital printing done at Asda the digital were,nt bad to be fair but film print,s were terrible , my Tesco does,nt do them anymore , best film I had done were Lab35 not sure if they still do them now as I hav,nt seen anything of them .

Just checked and Lab35 are going strong and have several awards .

My local Tesco is going through a big refurb to be a bigger better store, unfortunately without film development though :( Shame as it used to be pretty busy.

The big Tesco at Slough is not doing film any more, but the counter staff said they will send the film away and dev and CD will be the same price 99p and £1.97 Huh! anyway it's gonna take at least 5 working days to do it :crying:

The film and prints are very good, no spots or scratches; possibly slightly light for my taste but acceptable, colour is good and they're on Kodak paper.
So if you don't live near a film processor you can do as we did in the 70's send them to Bonusprint.

I used them earlier this year and the negs were full of spots and scratches, perhaps it was just my order but I have not used them again since as Club35 is practically the same price nearly.

If they were using a Fuji Frontier they needed to put it in re-print mode and then select B&W film.
This is the setting used for getting mono prints from colour neg so it scans then de-saturates so you shouldn't get prints with a colour cast.
Mark

I'll try again, the lady I have dealt with before at the Tesco wasn't there... just the 'expert' who couldn't do it.

Not cheap processing, but for those interested in cheap film - my poundland is now doing 36 exposure iso 400 colour film as well as the 24 exp. 200 stuff.
38b6ea4a.jpg

Morrisons still developing film for £1 a roll, collected two rolls today and scanning one roll now......a few spots but better than last time.

Well I doubt whether a Tesco in the UK is doing film on the spot now so Asda is my new place...develope, scan to CD and Index all nicely presented for £2.97 and in 1 hour. A few hairs and spots now and again, but I shall use them now.

4 quid :eek: who is going to pay that at a supermarket, when a lab is cheaper :shrug:

I walked into the SnappySnaps in Camberwell yesterday to find out how much they were going to charge for develop only. The response was £5.99. I repeated "develop only, no scans and no prints" and the answer was still £5.99.
Having pointed out that Tesco's and Asda were doing the same service for under £3 I was told to get out..... fantastic customer service!

Fortunately I've being looking at all of the nearby developers, and surprisingly my local camera shop have come up with £2.50 for a 36exp with a one hour service. Considering the margin that they charge for their 2nd hand stock I was expecting a much higher price.

That's me sorted then! :D

Back