Tesco SUCKS big time

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
well i posted "Processing on a budget" and read "What B&W films..." all for NAUGHT

took a roll of Fuji Superia 200 for "Dev and onto CD" [from Canon A1]
got back.?...a blank strip of celluloid
ok - maybe my fault as I raised the mirror during lens change to inspect seals....:bonk:

then today picked up a roll of Neopan 400CN [evening out with Nikon F3]
got back.?.......a blank strip of celluloid.....WTF

Tesco manager said "our machine doesn't do B&W C-41 process"..
do I believe this ...??

got refund and 2 rolls film - so what - all that anticipation for sweet FA

Pro-lab for me from now on -- and bujjer the expense.....

tesco is for food ! :D . but it seems that the best you can do is, to do it yourself. I've had bad experience as well, but not tesco. I think it's super hard to find a nice place to do film.

Now thats annoying. I think that a pro lab is the best bet, even Jessops if they weren't so bloody slow at getting them back.

Andy

"our machine doesn't do B&W C-41 process"..

Where did they get that guy from? Whys it called C-41 B&W then? So that you:

A: Can't develop it in C-41 so to confuse you?

OR

B: So its simpler to get B&W developed as you don't need a different machine.

Seriously the stupidity of some people:bonk:

Yardbent

Raising the mirror would not effect the film as the shutter is still closed untill you release it,

Toonie

ok - maybe my fault as I raised the mirror during lens change to inspect seals....:bonk:

This would not damage the film in any way.

When you say "blank celluloid" did the film(s) have the edge markings or where they totally blank.

If the have delevoped edge markings then it's likely to be your camera(s). Bit unlikely for two of them to be malfunctioning.

Otherwise it will be a processing fault.

There is no difference between colour and B&W C41.

HTH

David

hahah...

lol

C-41 is C-41 - it's the colour of the dye that makes it B&W, not the process...

Likewise mirror-up makes no difference to anything.

Even leaving the shutter wide-open would only 'blank' one frame...

So was the film 'clear' or totally black...?

If it's black it's unexposed, meaning you may not have wound it onto the take-up spool correctly (but should still have one 'exposed' frame that would have been behind the shutter during every subsequent exposure).

If it's totally clear it's a processing error.

Since it's from 2 different cameras, my money's on processing error - those wayne-kerrs have fubar'd the dev...

Wonder how many other people's got ruined.

Sounds like someone put the wrong chemistry in the tanks...

Easy way to get your own back - get some cheap out of date slide film, run it through your camera and then ask it to be developed in C-41, that'll contaminate the developer, stop and fix so you get your negatives and prints whilst they get major annoyed as they have to dump the developer, stop and fix and if they ask you about it you can just claim innocence.

"I didn't know it was an E-6 process film, honest"

erm strange I've used Asda, two Morrisons and two Tescos and have never had a complete ruined film in the last two years...plenty of scratches and spots at times though. Come to think of it when I did my own colour development I also got some crappy results at times but always an image.

Easy way to get your own back - get some cheap out of date slide film, run it through your camera and then ask it to be developed in C-41, that'll contaminate the developer, stop and fix so you get your negatives and prints whilst they get major annoyed as they have to dump the developer, stop and fix and if they ask you about it you can just claim innocence.

"I didn't know it was an E-6 process film, honest"

erm so the next photographer gets his film ruined... :nono:

***If it's black it's unexposed,***

Surely if it's "clear" it's not exposed.

Many years ago (Hum that sounds bad, I'm not that old Honest) I didn't load the film correctly and probably thought I was winding on each frame :bonk: , but infact I wasn't and only found out the mistake after processing a blank film :( i was guttered at the time.

I now always check the spool moves as I start to winder the film on to the first frame.

Were there any frame numbers on the film.

***If it's black it's unexposed,***

Surely if it's "clear" it's not exposed.

You know it's been so-ooo long...:thinking:

You're right, of course...

Unless he was shooting slide film...that's it - I WAS referring to slide film...*ahem*

erm so the next photographer gets his film ruined... :nono:

Apparently you can do up to 5 films or so afterwards without any wrong effects, but when they do quality control testing it would fail so they would have to replace everything.

Apparently you can do up to 5 films or so afterwards without any wrong effects, but when they do quality control testing it would fail so they would have to replace everything.

Alright then the sixth photographer gets his film ruined. And surely Tesco will not do films at a loss (although I can't see how they are making it pay atm), so your idea if used by many people will just put the price up or p*ss them off and they wont bother with film.

but it seems that the best you can do is, to do it yourself. I've had bad experience as well, but not tesco. I think it's super hard to find a nice place to do film.

no i wanted to try a few rolls to "get my hand in " again and I dont develop myself....hence Tesco

the second stage was to use a Pro=lab.....looks as if i'm at stage 2 by default !

Yardbent

Raising the mirror would not effect the film as the shutter is still closed untill you release it,

Toonie

i think i put the camera on "B" bulb as i think I saw the film

I now always check the spool moves as I start to winder the film on to the first frame.

yep - it rotated
and winding the film back into the can i could feel the film move, and click as it came off the take-up spool

Alright then the sixth photographer gets his film ruined. And surely Tesco will not do films at a loss (although I can't see how they are making it pay atm), so your idea if used by many people will just put the price up or p*ss them off and they wont bother with film.

I was only joking, I would not/do not advocate actually doing that. It would just annoy them a little bit.

If Tesco are using Fuji Oasis quality control stuff linked to their mini-lab like most places do then there wouldn't be a problem anyway as it would immediately flag it up during the quality control tests.

***the second stage was to use a Pro=lab.....looks as if i'm at stage 2 by default ! ***

A Boots superstore is worth considering, for 15 years my wife and I used them (as she used to work there and got a nice discount) and the results were very good but more expensive than the supermarket.

I would agree there - Boots have done the best job in my experience out of all the 1 hr labs that I have tried.

My Tesco films have always dev'd but never been anywhere near club 35 standards, scans lack contrast and are grainy and dusty, and the negatives come back dirty and scratched, If you've seen the way they handle them!

Though they got a full roll of usable images from a film I took in last week which had remained undeveloped for 11 1/2 years (My fifth birthday party!)

***the second stage was to use a Pro=lab.....looks as if i'm at stage 2 by default ! ***

A Boots superstore is worth considering, for 15 years my wife and I used them (as she used to work there and got a nice discount) and the results were very good but more expensive than the supermarket.

ok - one last try before paying a proper lab ---thanks

so disappointing......two trips out and not a single image...!

Dev and Scan at boots is not anywhere near as cheap as at adsa/tesco's mind. Doubt it would be much (if at all) cheaper than a 'pro lab' :(

***My Tesco films have always dev'd but never been anywhere near club 35 standards**

Well you can start a thread "Is there C41 development and is there C41 development"....I would have thought it's all like a Wimpy beefburger they are all the same no matter where you go because of the same process and contents. And I would have thought where a good lab shines is better printing and being careful handling the negs.

I don't think you can really go wrong with C41 processing so long as there is someone semi-competent handling the film and there is enough throughput. E6 on the other hand is a completely different story. Tim Parkin did some experimentation: E6 Comparison 1 E6 Comparison 2

***My Tesco films have always dev'd but never been anywhere near club 35 standards**

Well you can start a thread "Is there C41 development and is there C41 development"....I would have thought it's all like a Wimpy beefburger they are all the same no matter where you go because of the same process and contents. And I would have thought where a good lab shines is better printing and being careful handling the negs.

The thing is, if a lab is better at printing or scanning negs, then that's the only benchmark I have on how good they are. Tesco scans are awful and the negatives have come back filthy and scratched, so I rate them pretty low.

sorry to comment on something in the film section, I know I am not very welcome here, buit as it;s on the man page, I feel it's fair game.

95%+ of all photography now (yes that includes DSLR's , P&S, Compacts, Mobile phones etc) is digital. Tesco caters for the mass market.......... why am I not surprised they couldn't fulfill your needs........

Bit like taking a Ferrari Enzo to Kwikfit then whinging that they didn't have the right tyres in stock (as opposed to the local Ferrari dealership whom I would expect to have them!)

I shall bow out now.......

Dev and Scan at boots is not anywhere near as cheap as at adsa/tesco's mind. Doubt it would be much (if at all) cheaper than a 'pro lab' :(

so what ? ..if tescos screw up 2 rolls of my films -- WHAT can be more expensive than that ???

Tesco caters for the mass market.......... why am I not surprised they couldn't fulfill your needs.........

you have obviously missed the point ....they offer a service - period

to develop film and transfer to a CD

they failed in that service

doesn't matter whether it is digital, film, slides, or tin-type

THEY FAILED

The thing is, if a lab is better at printing or scanning negs, then that's the only benchmark I have on how good they are. Tesco scans are awful and the negatives have come back filthy and scratched, so I rate them pretty low.

Well I've found a good Tesco, and because of the cheap price think nothing of using 3 films a week many times esp checking lenses because of my LBA.

Have I?

Oh right ok...........

Sorry but in 2010, 99.9% + of "photo's" is in digital format, so would a mass supermarket cater for "we like to please the masses" and concentrate in Digital media... FFS you can email them the pics now and they are there waiting for you when you arrive, or take em a film, (what's a darkroom) from what I see in our local tessys's photoshop area most are about 17, on minimum wage and wouldn't know the difference between a canon mk 1 or a voigtlander....

As I said horses for courses, you wouldn't trust your Enzo to Kwikfit, so why should Tesco's do a good job on film............and no i haven't missed the point. I think you have.
Welcome to C 21.

But the point John is trying to say is, weather the masses use digital or not, Tesco offer a film processing service and should be able to do it correctly. When your paying for something you expect it to be done right.

Personally, I've had an acceptable service from Tesco, its their scans and handing of the negatives that let them down. Because of this I only use them for test films or ones I think i've messed up etc.

Johns issue is they cant even process a film! There's no excuse for that surely. They should employ staff who can operate the equipment if they offer the service.

Back