Tesco SUCKS big time

love to know how they don't do C41 processing lol

goes inthe same machine as every other C41 film then all they do is set it to B&W when they print to remove the green cast.

well i posted "Processing on a budget" and read "What B&W films..." all for NAUGHT

took a roll of Fuji Superia 200 for "Dev and onto CD" [from Canon A1]
got back.?...a blank strip of celluloid
ok - maybe my fault as I raised the mirror during lens change to inspect seals....:bonk:

then today picked up a roll of Neopan 400CN [evening out with Nikon F3]
got back.?.......a blank strip of celluloid.....WTF

Tesco manager said "our machine doesn't do B&W C-41 process"..
do I believe this ...??

got refund and 2 rolls film - so what - all that anticipation for sweet FA

Pro-lab for me from now on -- and bujjer the expense.....

****you wouldn't trust your Enzo to Kwikfit, so why should Tesco's do a good job on film***

Wrong thinking as in this case a machine does the main work and I would have thought designed to be quite foolproof erm well in theory using robots not humans.

Ref the E-6 idea, wouldn't the dev machine pick up the film type from the barcode on the film cannister and reject it?

Ref the E-6 idea, wouldn't the dev machine pick up the film type from the barcode on the film cannister and reject it?

The film processor doesn't read the bar code. It simply processes the film, whatever it is

Well, just to say all my tries on new camera,s and film have benn given to Tesco for development(C41) and CD, to date the only errors that have occurred are on my part or the camera,s part.

The qualtiy is not that good, but for the price of below £2.00 is in my book acceptable.

What say you?

Well, just to say all my tries on new camera,s and film have benn given to Tesco for development(C41) and CD, to date the only errors that have occurred are on my part or the camera,s part.

The qualtiy is not that good, but for the price of below £2.00 is in my book acceptable......What say you?

there have been many +ve comments for a quick cheap develop and CD from Tesco

I can not justify the risk of yet a third failure from this specific branch
i have yet to see any images from my film attempts..................:razz:

BTW it's Tesco, Shettleston, Glasgow - dont go there

I'm guessing it's like a lot of the companies that are branch based.

I'd recommend Snappy Snaps Soho to anyone wanting their films done quickly and reasonably well. I'd recommend Snappy Snaps Strand to anyone who wanted their films put into a bucket and handed back to them with a smile and a fee some £5 higher than advertised.

The mistake is to imagine a grey bearded old geezer who knows, even cares, what the hell he's doing with the C41 machine, instead of a kid on minimum wage listening to death metal on his iPod.
If he thinks about his career route at all it may be to imagine who the person exposing her knockers to the throw-away camera at the wedding reception is, before pressing some coloured buttons and hoping for promotion out of the processing booth.

Having said all of that Tesco provide a service and for a pound a shot it's best viewed as random and temperamental as Lomography, leaky cameras with bad lenses that have become an aesthetic. Tesco is the processing equivalent of Lomo world but even so, no images at all on the film is a liberty and one worth shouting about. The fuss might just make the C41 op turn his Fleshrot down while he's pouring in the dev and bleach and you can return often enough to make film processing register on Tesco accounts sheet so they keeping offering it.

:)
there have been many +ve comments for a quick cheap develop and CD from Tesco

I can not justify the risk of yet a third failure from this specific branch
i have yet to see any images from my film attempts..................:razz:

BTW it's Tesco, Shettleston, Glasgow - dont go there

GOTA.:)

Photo04_1a.jpg

This is my Tesco.

... and you can return often enough to make film processing register on Tesco accounts sheet so they keeping offering it.

sorry ..........see ^^^^
"I can not justify the risk of yet a third failure from this specific branch
i have yet to see any images from my film attempts"

"Film 35" have just responded to an email enquiry and....
-- recommended types of film for me
-- downloaded price list
-- downloaded Order Form
-- posting me a pre-paid mailing envelope

THAT'S SERVICE...:clap:........they will get my business - small though it is !

The most common reason for blank film is that it did not go through the camera, I worked in photo retail for years and have lost count of how many times I have returned film which was blank to be told by the customer it was a processing error.

It was only when I pointed out that the markings and frame numbers on the edge of the film were visible that they had to take my word for it.!!

Good practice is to load the film , put the 'tongue' in to the wind on spool close the back and wind on , then gently turn the rewind knob clockwise until you feel tension.

Wind on two frames and you will see that the wind on knob rotates as the film is transported through the camera.

Simples

I don't think you can really go wrong with C41 processing so long as there is someone semi-competent handling the film and there is enough throughput. E6 on the other hand is a completely different story. Tim Parkin did some experimentation: E6 Comparison 1 E6 Comparison 2

Unless you used process paid film like Kodachrome, which is not an E6 process , you may get disappointing results.

The reason for this is that chemicals are replenished and machine developing times can vary.

In the 80's Kodak came up with the 'pro lab' scheme which allowed labs to test their process to very fine tolerances, even so pro photographers would do endless clip tests until they could match their exposure-filtration to the process.

I worked with pro photographers who on occasion had exposed film from America couriered to our lab because they liked our processing .

...................Wind on two frames and you will see that the wind on knob rotates as the film is transported through the camera...............Simples

did that...always do...and heard it "wind back"

regardless of all the excuses/reasons/good reports - sorry - Tesco will not get a single roll of my film ever again

yes - I'm still mad at losing my first film images in 20 years.....:razz:

Club35 - develop and provide high def CD ----- now that's simples !...:D

Who? Where? and how much?

who............"link"

they will mail you a price list and a pre-addressed FREEPOST envelope...(y)

35mm colour film ...develop £3.50
B&W.................develop £6.95

standard res CD.....£2.50
super res CD......£5.00

who............"link"

they will mail you a price list and a pre-addressed FREEPOST envelope...(y)

35mm colour film ...develop £3.50
B&W.................develop £6.95

standard res CD.....£2.50
super res CD......£5.00

Might give them a try with the next set of studio film. Is it £3.50 for a B&W C41 though as it is the same process otherwise it works out at £11.95 plus the film so about £15-16 for 36 images. Is this including 6x4 prints or just developed to negs?....... Or I could just follow the link :)

EDIT: Nope another £5.65 for 6x4 so basically £17.60 for 36 prints, negs and scanning or about 50p each. Might be worth it for a special set of prints but I have been lucky with Tesco so far (other than some crazy woman scanned my last film without gloves on so they had finger prints on them. I took them back and they re-did them properly)

prices are dev only

maybe expensive if you are used to doing your own

I would have willing paid that rather than irreplaceable loss from Tesco

Might give them a try with the next set of studio film. Is it £3.50 for a B&W C41 though as it is the same process otherwise it works out at £11.95 plus the film so about £15-16 for 36 images. Is this including 6x4 prints or just developed to negs?....... Or I could just follow the link :)

I'd say it'll be £3.50 for C41 process - B&W or Colour as they'll be running 'em through a minilab machine, E6 and B&W are the higher price - probably using dip and dunk tanks or some other medieval process that needs people to get involved :LOL:

Yup, C41 B/W prices are the same as Colour C41. Thats what I have paid

The B/W prices are for the traditional B/W films...

Having glanced at the posts it seems to me there is a very good case for film cameras and film to cease completely. At least with digital cameras these processing problems just don't happen as you can see and alter photos before printing.
TBH I can't see any reason why anyone wants to take a backward step with photography using old film cameras. I havn't used my Voigtlander Vito CL camera for over 45 years, yet it is still like new apart from a bit of dust (easily removed ) behind the lens. I even still have one of the first Rollie electronic flashguns to go with it again like new, but nobody want to buy old stuff like this.

Realspeed

I have my dark room kit now but hadn't had chance to use it or my studio due to work and time taken to sort the wheel chair projects. I fancy trying a medium format camera for B&W in the studio so could use them for that till I get a MF enlarger (mine will only do 35mm).

Still, can't spend ANYTHING at all at the moment as madly rushing to afford my Safari lights at the end of the month.

Having glanced at the posts it seems to me there is a very good case for film cameras and film to cease completely. At least with digital cameras these processing problems just don't happen as you can see and alter photos before printing.
TBH I can't see any reason why anyone wants to take a backward step with photographic using old film 35 mm cameras. I havn't used my Voigtlander Vito CL camera for over 45 years, yet it is still like new apart from a bit of dust (easily removed ) behind the lens.

Realspeed

images

;)

. TBH I can't see any reason why anyone wants to take a backward step with photographic using old film 35 mm cameras.
Realspeed

....for the same reason I use a

1970s Parker Duofold fountain pen with gold nib and blue ink.........:D

TBH I can't see any reason why anyone wants to take a backward step with photography using old film cameras.

Realspeed

Its not for you to see other people's reasons. Why dont you stick to your things and let others worry about theirs, eh.

....for the same reason I use a

1970s Parker Duofold fountain pen with gold nib and blue ink.........:D

Waterman for me.
Could never get used to writing with a Roller ball ( or Dot pen, as they used to be called when I was a kid. Why, I have no idea)

Waterman for me.
Could never get used to writing with a Roller ball ( or Dot pen, as they used to be called when I was a kid. Why, I have no idea)

My father, a Headmaster, was a sensible man - but had a pet rant that...

"Biro" was the downfall of "hand writing as we know it".......:LOL::LOL:

My father, a Headmaster, was a sensible man - but had a pet rant that...

"Biro" was the downfall of "hand writing as we know it".......:LOL::LOL:

Actually I absolutely agree. My handwriting reduces to absolute rubbish, when I am forced to use a Dot Pen. I would rather use a pencil than a dot pen. Since I still write long hand when its something important, I always carry 2 fountain pens on me.

There's a theme developing here. Fountain pens, classic bicycles, film cameras. Have I been cloned by any chance?

TBH I can't see any reason why anyone wants to take a backward step with photography using old film cameras.
Realspeed

I'll take it off you and pay postage. Think of the space you'll have when you get rid of that film clutter.
You sound like the kind of chap who'd prefer a Suburu Impeza to a D-type Jag.

2x Parker Duofold fountain pens, Mont Blanc fountain pen.

László Bíró was just a Hungarian newspaper editor, who, along with his engineer brother, pioneered the concept of ball-point pens...
Manufactured in Argentina from the late 1930's, in 1940 they were adopted by the RAF (who christened them 'Biro') who found they didn't leak as much as fountain pens at high-altitude.
Now genericised, like 'Hoover' for vacuum cleaner...

Every day's a schoolday...lol

regardless of all the excuses/reasons/good reports - sorry - Tesco will not get a single roll of my film ever again

Quite right, never let evidence get in the way of a good rant :dummy:

Back