Tesco SUCKS big time

...Sorry but in 2010, 99.9% + of "photo's" is in digital format, so would a mass supermarket cater for "we like to please the masses" and concentrate in Digital media...As I said horses for courses, you wouldn't trust your Enzo to Kwikfit, so why should Tesco's do a good job on film............and no i haven't missed the point. I think you have.

But the point John is trying to say is, weather the masses use digital or not, Tesco offer a film processing service and should be able to do it correctly. When your paying for something you expect it to be done right...

Actually, I think I'm going to agree with Lynton here...The Ferrari Enzo analogy is actually quite valid. Tesco provide a service which is probably intended for people printing from digital as thats what 99.9% of the work is, the other 0.1% being disposable cameras. Now that service is perfectly acceptable if you're doing what they're good at.

If you have film (or a Ferrari Enzo) then it's not going to be quite as good. It might seem to be the same job (ie. dev and scan or change the tyres) but if they're not as good at it then you're going to be disappointed.

Unfortunately, in these modern times, I honestly think that if you're going to get film dev'd (ie. film you care about and took time to create images with) then you have to go to a proper lab.

Ilford do a B&W mailed film service and give you Pro Lab details:
http://ilfordphoto.com/wheretobuy/bwprocessinglabs.asp

Kodak and Fuji also tell you the same:
http://prolabresourcecenter.kodak.com/uk/en/prolab_locator.php
http://www.fujifilmprolabs.co.uk/

Sure it costs a little more money, and is very frustrating if you're doing test prints (£7 after changing light seals only to find it didnt solve your problems - very galling) but it is worth the effort in the end.

2x Parker Duofold fountain pens, Mont Blanc fountain pen.

László Bíró was just a Hungarian newspaper editor, who, along with his engineer brother, pioneered the concept of ball-point pens...
Manufactured in Argentina from the late 1930's, in 1940 they were adopted by the RAF (who christened them 'Biro') who found they didn't leak as much as fountain pens at high-altitude.
Now genericised, like 'Hoover' for vacuum cleaner...

Every day's a schoolday...lol

Ah-ha...the history of the biro. I did know that actually, but i'd forgotten he was a newspaper editor. For some reason though, the idea of taking a pen up seems silly to me. I was in the RAuxAF (i know, i know, it's not the real thing but I was at uni and was debating signing up fulltime) and can't think of taking anything up other than a grease pencil for a kneeboard.

:thinking:...uncalled for ?

Tesco branch ruins 2 films - would you try a third ?

I think if i'd have had 2 blank rolls of film back from any processor's, when I'd been sure that the film had actually gone through the camera (seen the rewind turret spin as I'd wound on each time), and that the camera itself was working (dry-fire the shutter with the back open to check everything opens/closes at requisite speeds etc.) then i'd have been bucking for a couple or replacement films and then be trying somewhere else...

I used to use the local supermarket to dev films when I was running test rolls in cameras, purely for the convenience and assurance that the developing side was taken care of and was reliable. My local Asda always proved to be so - didn't try Tesco's as the nearby one is an awful dingey loathesome place that sucks at your soul (and doesn't develop film either), but I guess with all these places, they're only as good as the staff they have, and the staff will only be as good as the demand for film processing allows them to get. If someone only processes 2 disposable camera's worth of film a month, they're never going to be as competent and on the ball as someone putting a dozen a day through.

The OP's had a bad experience with their local Tesco's - he's quite at liberty to say so, and to vote with his £££'s in future. Others here have had good experiences and will say so... again perfectly valid. Yet others wouldn't dream of taking a film into a supermarket or high street chain for processing, preferring to use a professional lab - again, a perfectly valid stance, and one i'm happy people will follow, as it means that pro-labs will be around in the longer term for the odd occasion when I don't fancy processing something myself and send it away!

The thing is, film isn't a guaranteed process, it's a long, involved, multi-stage, multiple process procedure from pressing that button to getting an image displayed on the screen here for people to pull to bits. The key is to enjoy as many stages of the process as you can (and farm out any bits you don't like / aren't equipped to handle) along the way.

:thinking:...uncalled for ?

Tesco branch ruins 2 films - would you try a third ?

I wont John. I am with you on this one; Club 35 gets all my films and Peak gets all my slides.

The problem I had with Tesco was the inconsistency in results. Some were awful, some pretty good. In the end, I figured that if I am going to spend all that money in camera, lens etc, I better spend a bit more it for the high quality films and services; or give up photography as a hobby altogether.

I think if i'd have had 2 blank rolls of film back from any processor's, when I'd been sure that the film had actually gone through the camera (seen the rewind turret spin as I'd wound on each time), and that the camera itself was working (dry-fire the shutter with the back open to check everything opens/closes at requisite speeds etc.) then i'd have been bucking for a couple or replacement films and then be trying somewhere else...

I used to use the local supermarket to dev films when I was running test rolls in cameras, purely for the convenience and assurance that the developing side was taken care of and was reliable. My local Asda always proved to be so - didn't try Tesco's as the nearby one is an awful dingey loathesome place that sucks at your soul (and doesn't develop film either), but I guess with all these places, they're only as good as the staff they have, and the staff will only be as good as the demand for film processing allows them to get. If someone only processes 2 disposable camera's worth of film a month, they're never going to be as competent and on the ball as someone putting a dozen a day through.

The OP's had a bad experience with their local Tesco's - he's quite at liberty to say so, and to vote with his £££'s in future. Others here have had good experiences and will say so... again perfectly valid. Yet others wouldn't dream of taking a film into a supermarket or high street chain for processing, preferring to use a professional lab - again, a perfectly valid stance, and one i'm happy people will follow, as it means that pro-labs will be around in the longer term for the odd occasion when I don't fancy processing something myself and send it away!

The thing is, film isn't a guaranteed process, it's a long, involved, multi-stage, multiple process procedure from pressing that button to getting an image displayed on the screen here for people to pull to bits. The key is to enjoy as many stages of the process as you can (and farm out any bits you don't like / aren't equipped to handle) along the way.

Good lord, I thought he was extinct, pushing up daisies, an ex!

Common sense of course ;)

I'm soon to take a couple of rolls of C41 to my local Tesco. Nothing important, just a trial run. If they are poorly processed or scratched I'll complain to the line manager. If I get no satisfaction there, I shall continue up the ladder until I get the people responsible for installing and monitoring Tesco's processing lines and tell them what's expected. I may even offer my services to show them how it's done.

They'll either treat me like a fool in which case I shall rubbish their reputation as far and wide as the internet and English law will allow, they'll think quality control is not worth the training required and cease offering film development, or they'll do the decent thing and build a reputation as the definitive high street lab and gather the trade as a consequence.

or they'll do the decent thing and build a reputation as the definitive high street lab and gather the trade as a consequence.

For tha last 1 year , I had talked to and complained about their film services to various people at my local Tesco.

Last month they ceased their film services altogether.

So you know what'll happen if you complain too much. :D:D:LOL:

I think if i'd have had 2 blank rolls of film back from any processor's, when I'd been sure that the film had actually gone through the camera .............. then i'd have been bucking for a couple or replacement films and then be trying somewhere else....

thanks - that was all I wanted to say.......:D

Tesco refunded both costs of developing + gave me 2 free rolls
so Customer Service not a problem

however I will use Club35 as it seems to be favored by quite a few

The beauty of the language that is English...:LOL::LOL:

My nephew used to teach English in France

his pupils could not understand the complexity of

"A cat with nine lives lives in our street".

My nephew used to teach English in France

his pupils could not understand the complexity of

"A cat with nine lives lives in our street".

Or the bit with my german exchange friend who, when walking through St James' Park couldn't grasp english plurals such as Goose and Geese. Stupid language! :puke:

Can someone shine some light on this please?

All film I refer to is Fuji Neopan 400CN

I have had film developed at Tesco's i.e. negs and scan = £1.90 odd with no complaints. Today, they could develop the film for me but could not write it to a CD. At first they tried to tell me it was not C41 - I was having none of it! Then they said "Oh, it's got a purple tint" What? stop it says I.

Anyway they could see the negs/pics but the writer was having none. So, I went to boots and they scanned it instantly except, all the images on the CD are back to front (I can address this in PS)

Any ideas? Is it a Tesco's developing nightmare?

Thanks

Alistair

No experience of Tesco , but I use my local Asda and have no complaints. I usually get a couple of 36 exposure C41's developed , printed 6 X 4 and scanned to CD for a tenner or so ( 1 hr service ) . The kids who work there seem conscientious enough and always double check the film is C41 when I hand it over. Had Ilford XP2 done there , again very impressed with the results. I guess it's pot luck when it comes to using the convenience of super markets for processing.

My Tesco not at it's best today, engineer was working on the machine when I handed the films over, but he must have upset something, as the negs were very spotty and colours were off......lots of work in Photoshop for 3 rolls of film with nearly 100 shots....0h well.

Can someone shine some light on this please?

All film I refer to is Fuji Neopan 400CN

I have had film developed at Tesco's i.e. negs and scan = £1.90 odd with no complaints. Today, they could develop the film for me but could not write it to a CD. At first they tried to tell me it was not C41 - I was having none of it! Then they said "Oh, it's got a purple tint" What? stop it says I.

Well - 400CN base is a little purple compared to straight Black and White film, but as to how that'd stop it writing to a CD :shrug: beats me...

Anyway they could see the negs/pics but the writer was having none. So, I went to boots and they scanned it instantly except, all the images on the CD are back to front (I can address this in PS)

Boots put the film in back to front when they scanned it :LOL: It's not an option when they develop and scan, as It generally runs direct from the dev stage. When it's put through separately, it's possible to put it in back to front. Again, easier to do with c41 film - with proper B&W theres a smooth side and a emulsion side.

Any ideas? Is it a Tesco's developing nightmare?

Thanks

Alistair

Agree with you entirely.

I haven't got a clue as to why it would not write at Tesco's - it certainly read it and as said previously, I had two films (both Fuji Neopan 400CN) developed and scanned to CD.

Ah well - the mysteries of life :)

I got two rolls processed and scanned at Tesco Colchester, one BW400CN and the one Ektar 100. Both came back with the negs covered in muck and spots in the scans. The colour on the Ektar roll is miles off, they're completely unusable.

I'm never getting film processed at that branch again! :razz:

There's a theme developing here. Fountain pens, classic bicycles, film cameras. Have I been cloned by any chance?

Is there a subforum on TP for discussing the relative merits of a quill and ahead stems and downtube shifters vs brifters? :)

[I built my own 1980s-specced bike at the end of last year]

Is there a subforum on TP for discussing the relative merits of a quill and ahead stems and downtube shifters vs brifters? :)

[I built my own 1980s-specced bike at the end of last year]

If there is I should confess I've been stocking up on downtube levers, quill stems and 7-speed cassettes with the same enthusiasm as Nikkormats. However my fountain pen habit is no more developed than a blue Parker from W H Smiths.

Rather like shooting film, I seem to think about the same speed as a fountain pen flows, which means re-writing the important stuff on a keyboard afterwards. Completely illogical - also like film and riding an old bike - but it works for me.

Nice bike. A Flying Scot?

:thinking:...not quite sure if that's a pun on the bike [Scott?] or where I live ?
[I'm Welsh...:D ]

bit slow this morning after a rotten night sleep - joint pain

it was a Raleigh steel frame - weighed a ton..!
the rear light was one of those huge front lights with a red lens - OMG when I see the modern "Cat-eye" lights
to be "in" you HAD to have the pump behind the downtube - ah simple days !

Not a joke, the pencil stays and fork rake looked like a Flying Scot of that vintage but a lot of bikes looked similar. I found a Raleigh Lenton Sports in a garden and restored it. It was 531 plain gauge but it felt like it was made of depleted uranium, it would have made a good ship's anchor.

Yes, lighting has come on a bit. In the early 90s I was still using D-cells that weighed about as much as a wheel. Sorry to hear about the joints, anno domini catching up with us all.

Just starting now to get back on mine after an 18 month hiatus... talking of builds and stuff I built the beastie from a trendy aqua-formed aluminium frame and when it arrived the headset holes were hoooooge! I had to machine a couple of inserts to get a couple of BMX Ahead topsets to fit!

remember these wheels ..? supposedly "lightweight" with alloy hubs
very upmarket for the 1960s.....weighted a ton cf todays no doubt
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

notice the multi-coloured racing clothes

Great shot John. Nowadays you'd be quicker, tucked between the Eddie Stobart trucks but you had the best of racing back then.

Ah well as everyone else is posting pics, here it is :)

200909_1258.jpg

with an early 90s Campag Chorus front chainwheel - I have a 1981 Super Record one that's going to be fitted when I have it properly cleaned up.

The frame was 1981 new-old-stock from a shop in Lincoln that closed in the early noughties, probably made by Faggin. I may get some tubular rims and tyres, instead of the clinchers that are on it at the moment, in the fullness of time.

Thats lush Rob, barring the seat... Don't get tubs though, you would rue the day when you got a puncture.

Just so you know, a few ex-people at my ex-work used to put an exposed roll of film through the processor if they cocked up someone's film, and blame it on user error. Easier than explaining how they managed to cock it up, and better to pass on the blame.

Back