Thank goodness for lens hoods

kelack

TPer Emerita - But she's back!
Name
Kelly
Edit My Images
Yes
Got smacked straight on by the ball yesterday at Charlton. So glad I had my lens hood on as I think it would have been a lot worse:

It went flying!

Attachments

• 1454848461334.jpg
    1454848461334.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 193
Get that duct tape to work! I lost a lens hood at Anfield a couple of weeks ago when my remote camera took a hit about five minutes after I put it down. The cheapo replacement cost about 20% of what the canon version was going for.

Haven't had the chance to look at the lens properly today. Little scared to. Didn't have much of a chance yesterday as spent the last 15 minutes of the match in the first aid room with an ice pack on my hand. Also broken haha

Those have to be the worst designed hoods ever. Get on to Sigma Tech Support and a replacement will cost you about £35.

Don't hang about though because they are getting pretty rare after the replacement lens model came out.

It's been hit a lot. I swear the U18s and U21s aim at me on purpose. But yesterday was square on by a first teamer. With power. It hurts haha. That hood was a third party one as when I got the lens, it was minus the hood. Got a cheap one off Wex for £30. Don't think it's just the hood though, the lens has taken a big knock as well and my camera. The broken hand shows that. Glad I have insurance lol

Reactions: BDL
Haha I prefer bigger balls. Easier to follow with my eyesight lol

It's been hit a lot. I swear the U18s and U21s aim at me on purpose. But yesterday was square on by a first teamer. With power. It hurts haha. That hood was a third party one as when I got the lens, it was minus the hood. Got a cheap one off Wex for £30. Don't think it's just the hood though, the lens has taken a big knock as well and my camera. The broken hand shows that. Glad I have insurance lol

Ouch!

Am I right in thinking the lens is a Sigma 120-300 OS EX? If so getting it checked over and serviced isn't that pricey. About £150 when I last had it done three or so years ago.

Yep. It's the EX DG OS HSM model. And I think I need to have it looked over. I've just braved taking it out of my case and checking it, and it has some damage :( not sure whether it might have damaged the mount to the camera as well. It was a hefty whack

So we're definitely NOT blaming Reza then?

Hope the Bulmers helped last night:)

Definitely not now! Tony has posted the pictures and I've checked mine. Definitely deflected off the Bristol player. Although it was amusing you winding up Reza

And there wasn't enough Bulmers.....

If you are insured for damage to your equipment and the equipment is not damaged by you ,then do your insurance company go to the insurance company of the party responsible for the damage to make a recovery?

Erm no. Sports photography is 99.99999% of the time 'at own risk'.

Unless of course some muppet in the Prem deliberately decides to kick the s*** out of a goal camera of course.

Pretty sure that we are at own risk by going pitchside.

It wont be at your own risk because there is virtually nothing like that now,the club will have PLI even if for the simple reason they where sued. Everyone is liable now that's why there are risk assessments and PLI for just about everything. They club,players will have PLI and what is that for if it is not for third parties being injured. If the ball had hit you and caused a really bad permanent injury requiring life long care who would pay? It should be the PLI of the club or player. I think that the difficulty is in a small claim that if a claim where brought there would be a bad recation from the club. I think if it was me and a lot of money was involved I would start a claim and see what happened.For a small amount it's not really worth rocking the boat. :thinking:

It wont be at your own risk because there is virtually nothing like that now,the club will have PLI even if for the simple reason they where sued. Everyone is liable now that's why there are risk assessments and PLI for just about everything. They club,players will have PLI and what is that for if it is not for third parties being injured. If the ball had hit you and caused a really bad permanent injury requiring life long care who would pay? It should be the PLI of the club or player. I think that the difficulty is in a small claim that if a claim where brought there would be a bad recation from the club. I think if it was me and a lot of money was involved I would start a claim and see what happened.For a small amount it's not really worth rocking the boat. :thinking:

I'm not allowed pitchside without PLI plus I have PA cover. So it would be my insurance. That's what I pay my annual premium for.

Yes, we are definitely at risk when pitchside! Especially when (now ex) managers (or Head Coach in our case) backheel a ball in your direction and moan they missed.

:LOL: at least us photographers have the hoardings to protect us a little, you're pretty open next to the dugout. Which game was that? I'll definitely ask Steve if he has that footage :LOL: Sorry, I shouldn't laugh. Think I might watch from West Upper on Saturday against Cardiff if the duct tape doesn't work :D

IT
IS
AT
OWN
RISK.

That little bit of paper you sign when you show up. That's what it's all about. Either that or it's in the T&Cs of accreditation.

Soccer, Rugby (U & L), Cricket, Racing (Motor and Horse), it's all the same.

Just for once, why don't you try listening to people who have experience rather than waffling about what you think should happen?

Oh by the way - if you injure a player, then you are definitely liable.

And also I work in insurance so I think I have a little inkling what might be right. Now, if the player had seen me and thought "I'm going to deliberately smash the ball into her camera", I may have grounds for claiming against him. But he didn't, the ball hitting my camera was as a result of a passage of play in which the player was participating in doing his job. Purely accidental. And I wouldn't have the slightest thought about claiming against the club or players. We know exactly what we are taking on each time we go pitchside, that is my choice, therefore my risk. The insurance company also would have no interest in claiming against the club or player either.

I have a slightly smashed lens hood also from a 120-300 OS by my desk as a reminder and trophy of sorts.

3rd ever game of football, sat on the floor just in front of the wall and 2 players got into a tussle and ploughed right into me. Thankfully the only damage was to the lens hood and a small bruise on my cheek.

I might use mine as a trophy of sorts. Get the players to sign it haha

Had a good call with the loss adjusters via Cliik Insurance. Very helpful, definitely a good company to go with. Now to get it sent away to get it looked at and check there's no internal damage. I take it everyone recommends Fixation for that?

Nope. For Sigma, send it to Sigma UK direct. It'll cost you a fraction of Fixation's costs (they have a fixed repair tariff).

Will they assess my camera as well though? I didn't think they would so that's why I thought about Fixation. Plus doubt the insurance will cover two lots of courier fees

saw this and thought of you :D

12661749_203965573291777_7809961746702608191_n.jpg

hope you get it all sorted ok, I've had ,lenses saved by the hoods, never use on without now

i had £1500 worth of damage to a D3S and Nikon 400mm f/2.8 when a try scoring player decided to hoof the ball as hard as he could, hit side or camera and lens, insurance covered it though

Just picked myself up a 400mm f/2.8 so might get back into shooting sports at amateur level, wifey has changed shift patterns and im at a loose end most weekends

saw this and thought of you :D

12661749_203965573291777_7809961746702608191_n.jpg

hope you get it all sorted ok, I've had ,lenses saved by the hoods, never use on without now

Pmsl. Might have to steal that. I'll post the photos up possibly. The trouble is that I may have started to try and move but carried on clicking the shutter so the focus point has moved onto the stands behind so the players are well out of focus haha.

It's also amusing that just that morning, one of the U18s hoofed it off the pitch and it headed straight for me so I did what I usually did and turned my back to protect the camera. One of the spectators behind me said they thought it was funny that I always did that (told you, they aim for me!). I said my back isn't as expensive as my camera :LOL:

i had £1500 worth of damage to a D3S and Nikon 400mm f/2.8 when a try scoring player decided to hoof the ball as hard as he could, hit side or camera and lens, insurance covered it though

Just picked myself up a 400mm f/2.8 so might get back into shooting sports at amateur level, wifey has changed shift patterns and im at a loose end most weekends

Rugby balls tend to be a lot harder. And they hurt more. Really we should get danger money for this!

Don't use Fixation.They are either incompetent or on the con. My experience with them here. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ement-suggestions-please.598316/#post-6980762 The facts speak for themselves.

Plenty of other reliable repairers. Sendean are one.

Will look into it, thanks. The insurance company are quite good, they have said that it's up to me where I send it.

Hehehe

Right now I've had the sympathy about the camera, can I have some sympathy for the fractured hand :LOL: it bloody hurts

Stop sniping at each other on my thread please. I had a month off the forum because I was sick of it all. Don't make me regret coming back on.

Right now I've had the sympathy about the camera, can I have some sympathy for the fractured hand :LOL: it bloody hurts

Poor Kelly's booboo/owie. To be guaranteed to find sympathy, look between the rude word for pooh that starts with sh and the technical term for the French pox in most dictionaries... All my rugby injuries were picked up on the field not the sidelines and included broken hand as well as a few fingers and a dislocated shoulder. Good job I stopped playing when I left school - even club rugby makes school games look like touch rugby!

This wasn't even playing rugby lol. It was watching football

Serves you right then!!! :p

Hope the hand knits quickly and that the pain/discomfort is under control.

Haha, I remember him shaking my hand at the training ground. That hurt!

Back