The 20-21 season football thread

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I can't remember seeing a footie thread for a while, so thought it was about time we had another, especially as the EPL kicks off tomorrow.

Look forward to some banter, but please don't make anything personal as we'll get shut down...

So, I'm looking forward to a rejuvenated Arsenal this season. Arteta looks like an exciting young manager that not only has the backing of the club, he understands the fans too. I'm also hoping that Leeds do well, they've been gone a long time and it's good to see them back, along with Fulham.

Liverpool still look like the team to beat, Chelsea are spending loads of Russian money, and I'm not quite sure what City are up to. Could the signing of the season be James to Everton?

I can't remember seeing a footie thread for a while, so thought it was about time we had another, especially as the EPL kicks off tomorrow.

Look forward to some banter, but please don't make anything personal as we'll get shut down...

So, I'm looking forward to a rejuvenated Arsenal this season. Arteta looks like an exciting young manager that not only has the backing of the club, he understands the fans too. I'm also hoping that Leeds do well, they've been gone a long time and it's good to see them back, along with Fulham.

Liverpool still look like the team to beat, Chelsea are spending loads of Russian money, and I'm not quite sure what City are up to. Could the signing of the season be James to Everton?

Its all been a bit weird - Arteta is winning me over slowly, but too many average players. Not impressed with Bellern, Niles, Guendouzi - keen to see Willian supplying Auba.

Hope Leeds to well too, think Sheff Utd will find this season hard. Man U I think will seriously challenge 3rd place and with a fair wind maybe City if they continue to slip up.

Relegation is a hard one. Think Fulham will struggle, West Brom too, but no ideas on the other spot.

Its all been a bit weird - Arteta is winning me over slowly, but too many average players. Not impressed with Bellern, Niles, Guendouzi - keen to see Willian supplying Auba.

Hope Leeds to well too, think Sheff Utd will find this season hard. Man U I think will seriously challenge 3rd place and with a fair wind maybe City if they continue to slip up.

Relegation is a hard one. Think Fulham will struggle, West Brom too, but no ideas on the other spot.

Niles got MotM for the Charity Shield, and was great in the cup final. We just need to find him a position. Pepe is the one that worries me, a couple of free kicks aren't worth £70m....

Think it will be between Liverpool and Man City again. Really surprised Man Utd have so far not spent more on transfers as I can't see that current squad ever being good enough to put a proper challenge in.
In Scotland it could be the closest title for many years as Rangers will be trying to stop Celtic obtaining a record 10 in a row.

Looking forward to it myself I waited 30 years to watch my beloved Reds lift the league though I think City are the bookies favourites this season , be interesting to see how Chelsea do with Lampard looking like the faith he had in his crop of youngsters has been put on the back burner and the new boys drafted in, Arsenal could be a slow burner and obviously United still heavily dependent on the old VAR with there last minute penalties.

Niles got MotM for the Charity Shield, and was great in the cup final. We just need to find him a position. Pepe is the one that worries me, a couple of free kicks aren't worth £70m....

Yes, Pepe was a waste of money - looks more like a 20m player!

Niles I just find to look dis-interested, there are some players I took an instant liking to like Kolasanic or Martinelli, but with Niles I just see him as bang average. That could be due to not knowing what he is in terms of position so I find looks a bit lost sometimes,

Think it will be between Liverpool and Man City again. Really surprised Man Utd have so far not spent more on transfers as I can't see that current squad ever being good enough to put a proper challenge in.
In Scotland it could be the closest title for many years as Rangers will be trying to stop Celtic obtaining a record 10 in a row.

They improved a lot last season. Fernandes looks like a great buy and with Greenwood, Martial, Rashford they have a decent front 3 if they can carry on the form of the last few months. They are not ready to compete at the very top but are much improved.

Sheff Utd will find this season hard

In Wilder we trust! Think its going to be dependant on the striker hes looking to bring in to how well we finish.

Still... anything above the drop is a win in my eye, beat the 2nd season syndrome and go again!

There is a theory going around at the moment, our last 5 seasons have finished as followes 11th -1st - 10th - 2nd - 9th..... if it was a school maths problem we would be looking at 3rd ;)

Liverpool still look like the team to beat

I wish..... but I fear City will bounce back for the league.
Chelsea could do well (strong 3rd) if the new team gels, and ManU 4th.

The 3 promoted teams to go back down.

I reckon Leeds will make it. Wouldn't be surprised to see Brighton or Newcastle drop down though.
Newcastle seem to be in constant turmoil, but their additions look promising this year don't you think? I agree on Brighton, they'll be scrapping down at the bottom I think.

Newcastle seem to be in constant turmoil, but their additions look promising this year don't you think? I agree on Brighton, they'll be scrapping down at the bottom I think.

Thing is with Newcastle is that they take 15 games to get started. That leaves them in a negative place which they have to fight out of.

Thing is with Newcastle is that they take 15 games to get started. That leaves them in a negative place which they have to fight out of.

They then go on a mini run and pick up points! Bruce I think did very well with a poor squad but seem to have made some decent signings.

I think Potter is a decent manager but feel that if they get off to a bad start the will struggle.

This is a remarkable fracas bewteen PSG and Marseille players yesterday ( Sunday 13th) in which 5 players were red-carded including Neymar Jnr. who claimed he suffered racial abuse.He was sent off as the 5th player after the ref had something said in his earpiece and he went to the monitor.

To save watching the football leading up to the incident the first foul is at 2.26. I think some might be getting lengthy bans. I assume Neymar will still get his €705,385 a week or €36.8 million a year. He cost them £200m from Barcelona.

The fracas starts at 2.26.(in extra time)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC0GedE7KO0

In Nino we trust. Really happy place being a Wolves fan right now. In truth I’m happy just to survive being a long time Wolves fan.

Good result last night against Sheffield Utd, a game we’d have probably lost last season.

I know this thread will be Premier League dominated but I just wanted to put this here for posterity, it may never happen again! :D

Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 07.45.50.png

In Nino we trust. Really happy place being a Wolves fan right now. In truth I’m happy just to survive being a long time Wolves fan.

Good result last night against Sheffield Utd, a game we’d have probably lost last season.

Can never really fault a team like Wolves with what they are achieving. We turned up to that game 15 minutes too late last night! The following 75 minutes were exactly how I expected the game to pan out, we need a new striker and fast!

Think you did well to frustrate McBurnie and a few of the other lads, there was a few times Wolves players went down very easily and Mike Dean fell for it.

Need a big come back at Villa Next monday.

I know this thread will be Premier League dominated but I just wanted to put this here for posterity, it may never happen again! :D

View attachment 292519

Can we make a rule, anybody posting a photo of the Championship has to include the bottom half? Makes for fun viewing.

Can never really fault a team like Wolves with what they are achieving. We turned up to that game 15 minutes too late last night! The following 75 minutes were exactly how I expected the game to pan out, we need a new striker and fast!

Think you did well to frustrate McBurnie and a few of the other lads, there was a few times Wolves players went down very easily and Mike Dean fell for it.

Need a big come back at Villa Next monday.

Let’s hope you guys dont suffer second season syndrome. Investment always key.

Reckon Villa will be a different proposition this year with some of their signings.

Glad to see that Aubameyang has signed an extension for Arsenal. Good news as it will help attract other players.

Glad to see that Aubameyang has signed an extension for Arsenal. Good news as it will help attract other players.

Good news for me, too.. :) https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54192248 Sergio Reguilon too,I see. I wonder if Deli Ali is going the other way ? Rumours were that he was going to be part of the deal.

However, I'm not impressed with this if it's true. Spurs have had plenty of yellows and the odd sending off. That's not been the problem..ie being 'too nice'. Something's been amiss at Spurs for a very long time.

Last edited:
I thought Utd were chasing Bale. "Coming home" is not always a good thing, it worked at Arsenal for Henry, but that was only a 3 month loan. I wonder wether Spurs are big enough for Bale right now...

Gotta hurt if you're a Brighton fan. Equalise v Man Utd 5 minutes into injury time, Concede in the 10th minute of Injury time!

Possibly the 2 most horrendous kits in the Premier League!

Losing to Leeds after having our player fouled twice on the build up is a sure fire way to ruin a weekend

I think somebody broke the Premier League today.

The Liverpool result was a bit of a surprise, when I heard it, I thought it was a joke!

I think somebody broke the Premier League today.

The Liverpool result was a bit of a surprise, when I heard it, I thought it was a joke!

I wonder how much was due to Alisson being injured and Adrian replacing him ? Aston Villa's newcomer Ollie Watkins..£28m from Brentford did them and himself, proud. They'll be singing his name.. one day when the crowds get back.Lol.

Another astonishing result today was the Manchester United v Spurs result. A Spurs win 6-1

I listened to both games (don't have Sky) and because of these results will watch MOTD later....10.30 BBC1.

Last edited:
I'm happy to see some of the big teams get stuffed as the style of play has IMO become boring.

I hate to see repetitive sideways passes across the pitch and back again, player A pass to player B who immediately passes back to player A who then passes to player B who passes it back to the goal keeper :oops: :$ Another hate of mine is when a player runs forwards 30 yards and then passes the ball back 30 yards. Both Liverpool and Man City have been guilty of this sort of play and I'd love to see it end and be replayed with more direct attacking play.

I thought Utd were chasing Bale. "Coming home" is not always a good thing, it worked at Arsenal for Henry, but that was only a 3 month loan. I wonder wether Spurs are big enough for Bale right now...

I missed this post. I tend to rely on alerts and keep forgetting to check back.

As you'll you'll know, Bale isn't having a very happy time at RM. When he goes down town and parks and disgruntled fans see the car they 'rock' it. He's a teetotaler and is a family man (S.Wales close knit communities) so he doesn't go out on the town with the other players. Contrary to popular belief, he does speak decent Spanish but he's a very shy person off the field and feels self-concious. He isn't getting play time these days. Compare that with his welcome back to Spurs whose fans (myself included) never wanted to see him go to RM 7 years ago He can fly back to Madrid in a private plane as his wife and children are still there .Better than interrupting the schooling for his 4 and 8 year old. They also have a 2 year old. None of the upheaval of moving either. He's here for one season but already his agent has said that he'll most likely be open to a second season at which time his RM contract will have ended and he'll return to Cardiff when he'll be 33 by then and will probably 'retire' and concentrate on his business interests. One being an upmarket Sports Bar (Golf) in Cardiff.

He'll be a great asset for Spurs especially along with the recent transfers into the club, One being one of his RM team mates, left-back Sergio Reguilon who has already made an impact.

Watch this space..as they say.. :)

Last edited:
I'm happy to see some of the big teams get stuffed as the style of play has IMO become boring.

I hate to see repetitive sideways passes across the pitch and back again, player A pass to player B who immediately passes back to player A who then passes to player B who passes it back to the goal keeper :oops: :$ Another hate of mine is when a player runs forwards 30 yards and then passes the ball back 30 yards. Both Liverpool and Man City have been guilty of this sort of play and I'd love to see it end and be replayed with more direct attacking play.
But that's the problem when one side is possession based, and the other one "parks the bus". You have to keep probing for a way in.....

But that's the problem when one side is possession based, and the other one "parks the bus". You have to keep probing for a way in.....

But the winning sides haven't always parked the bus. Thankfully some of the possession sides have taken a pounding recently from sides who've really gone for them with fast and decisive attacks. Possession can be a good thing but time and time again from Liverpool and others there's no end product to so many slow motion "attacks." They're so slow in going forward they're facing 11 opposition players who've had ample time to get back.

I hate to see repetitive sideways passes across the pitch and back again, player A pass to player B who immediately passes back to player A who then passes to player B who passes it back to the goal keeper [emoji15] :confused: Another hate of mine is when a player runs forwards 30 yards and then passes the ball back 30 yards. Both Liverpool and Man City have been guilty of this sort of play and I'd love to see it end and be replayed with more direct attacking play.

I take it you don’t watch them play then, city and Liverpool score goals for fun and Liverpool especially play a high tempo game. Not really sure how either could be more attacking aside from playing 6 strikers!!!

They scored 180 times between them last season in the league and Liverpool scored 1/3 more goals than the next team after city.

How much more attacking should they be?

Last edited:
How was Lamela not sent off? He had a high arm so should have gone too.

His reaction was pathetic. If I was a Spurs fan I would want to see him dropped for the way he went down. Disgrace.

But the winning sides haven't always parked the bus. Thankfully some of the possession sides have taken a pounding recently from sides who've really gone for them with fast and decisive attacks. Possession can be a good thing but time and time again from Liverpool and others there's no end product to so many slow motion "attacks." They're so slow in going forward they're facing 11 opposition players who've had ample time to get back.

I think you missed my point.

It's the defending teams that park the bus, not the possession based sides. Teams like Liverpool, City (Arsenal a few years ago) would be incredibly direct and move the ball quickly, once they unpick the defence. These sides are often looking of a long ball over the top too. But you can only do that when you have the space to do it.

How was Lamela not sent off? He had a high arm so should have gone too.

His reaction was pathetic. If I was a Spurs fan I would want to see him dropped for the way he went down. Disgrace.

There were protests from the Manchester United players at which point the ref should have gone to the pitch-side monitor. That's what it's for, surely..to clarify an incident. ? Having seen the incident in full as 'handbags at dawn' a yellow for each player would have sufficed. I hope the FA have the sense or bottle to rescind the red card. Maybe that's why Lamela wasn't brought back on in the second half but Mourhino doesn't do that sort of thing.

All that aside it was a lamentable performance by United. I wonder what Cavani was thinking. ? Here's there now,I see.

Last edited:
Well, the window has closed, and who did well?

Spurs have had their best window in ages, Everton have also done well. The signing of Partey looks good for Arsenal, if only we could either off load Ozil, or bring him back into the side...

Well, the window has closed, and who did well?

Spurs have had their best window in ages, Everton have also done well. The signing of Partey looks good for Arsenal, if only we could either off load Ozil, or bring him back into the side...

The Prem can still to business with the EFL for another week or so.

It was our best window for a number of years. 2 players in yesterday. Former Arsenal youth Chris Willock from Benfica and Albert Adomah on a free. Adomah is a QPR fan and I've never known a player so excited about playing for the club.

A bit disappointed in what we (Wolves) have done. Thought we’d kick on a bit more than we have. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was a long, tough season for us. :(

What have Man u done to Harry Maguire ? He was a decent centre back for us (Leicester)
Never worth 80 mil of course and I wouldn’t swap him now for Sonuycu if they gave us 40 mil back. He looks ‘wrecked’ and devoid of confidence. I hope the guy is not reading what the Man u ‘fans’ ! are saying about him.

Back