The 20-21 season football thread

The Prem can still to business with the EFL for another week or so.

It was our best window for a number of years. 2 players in yesterday. Former Arsenal youth Chris Willock from Benfica and Albert Adomah on a free. Adomah is a QPR fan and I've never known a player so excited about playing for the club.

Didn't realise you were a Hoops fan Marc, I used to live not far from their ground, and my lad got scouted. by them once, but it only lasted a season, he never got a full game, and he was only about 10 at the time. I was disappointed when Chris Willock was released, we actually had all 3 brothers at one time. Just Joe left now, and he's not doing too bad.

What have Man u done to Harry Maguire ? He was a decent centre back for us (Leicester)
Never worth 80 mil of course and I wouldn’t swap him now for Sonuycu if they gave us 40 mil back. He looks ‘wrecked’ and devoid of confidence. I hope the guy is not reading what the Man u ‘fans’ ! are saying about him.

He's been totally mismanaged (so have a lot of Utd players). Never thought he was worth that value at any point in his career, they'll be lucky to get half of that for him now...

Spurs may yet sign Joe Rodon,a centre-back from Swansea. Rumour has it they are looking to sign another defender too. Deadline October 16.

I think Spurs will do well this season with the new signings.

He's been totally mismanaged (so have a lot of Utd players). Never thought he was worth that value at any point in his career, they'll be lucky to get half of that for him now...

If he doesn't end up in a Greek jail.

Didn't realise you were a Hoops fan Marc, I used to live not far from their ground, and my lad got scouted. by them once, but it only lasted a season, he never got a full game, and he was only about 10 at the time. I was disappointed when Chris Willock was released, we actually had all 3 brothers at one time. Just Joe left now, and he's not doing too bad.

I)v was a Gooner until I was 8 but dad, who was born and raised in Shepherds Bush, wouldn't take me to Highbury. He ended up dragging me to Loftus Road.

I got quite excited when I heard we were likely to get Willock because I thought it was Joe but hopefully Chris will turn out to be as good.

Southgate is loosing the plot IMO and looking like England managers of old.

How is Pickford in the team? Granted (only saw some of the games) I didn't see any major errors but over the last 12 months or so he has been poor while the other two keepers have been on good form and deserve a chance. Walker I don't think adds anything anymore with younger refs coming through and Maguire has lost confidence, Lots of caps given out for fun it seems and Grelaish who is one of our most dynamic and creative players is left on the bench? Dier at CB rather than a 'proper one' and not a fan of Rice either.

How is Pickford in the team? Granted (only saw some of the games) I didn't see any major errors but over the last 12 months or so he has been poor while the other two keepers have been on good form and deserve a chance. Walker I don't think adds anything anymore with younger refs coming through and Maguire has lost confidence, Lots of caps given out for fun it seems and Grelaish who is one of our most dynamic and creative players is left on the bench? Dier at CB rather than a 'proper one' and not a fan of Rice either.

Have to agree about Southgate, but it seems to happen to them all, even Venables & Hoddle (who have both been great England Managers at some point) seemed to fall into the trap of using the same players and getting a sense of false security from them. Probably "better the devil you know" syndrome.

Personally I have never really rated Maguire that highly. He looks overweight & unfit, he's never been a great tackler, and relied on both his ability of strength and positioning, the latter which seems to have been lost recently. Never been a big fan of Dier either, but Declan Rice is pretty sound, his elevation from CB to holding midfielder shows how well he's developed. Nick Pope should have been in goal, not Pickford.

Blimey, had to go and start dinner ans Spurs were 3-0 up after 80 minutes. Came back to my desk and saw that it finished 3-3! :oops: :$

Can't even beat Fulham... its gonna be a long season ffs

Blimey, had to go and start dinner ans Spurs were 3-0 up after 80 minutes. Came back to my desk and saw that it finished 3-3! :oops: :$

As a Spurs supporter of many years it comes as no surprise, pretty much what we expect. :(

How is Pickford in the team? Granted (only saw some of the games) I didn't see any major errors but over the last 12 months or so he has been poor while the other two keepers have been on

Pickford is a great 'shot stopper' when on his line. Very athletic and great with the ball at his feet. That's the good stuff. Once he leaves his line he becomes a little 'manic'
and his judgement is extremely poor. There have been many instances, even recently. The penalty England conceded against Denmark ! he 'muddied' the waters and should have left
it to Kyle Walker. The challenge on Virgil Van Dyke was awful and deserves retrospective punishment (imo) but I guess the rules don't allow this.

p.s No retrospective punishment for Pickford. So he puts a fellow professional ‘out the game’ for 6 months + ? and they do nothing, shocking.

Last edited:
Jamie Vardy scores against Arsenal, was there ever anything more inevitable.:banana:

Jamie Vardy scores against Arsenal, was there ever anything more inevitable.:banana:

Yes..absolutely....Spurs throwing away a two or three goal lead :LOL:...and I'm a long-suffering Spurs fan.:)

Good win for Leicester which has put them 4th. Spurs are away to Burnley tomorrow evening..(8.00pm).. a good side ,ended up mid-table last season but languishing at the bottom with one point along with Sheffield United and Fulham so we should win but as I say....lol. I hope we win which will put us on 11 pts and behind Leicester and above Leeds. Nice to Leeds back in the PL too.

Yes..absolutely....Spurs throwing away a two or three goal lead :LOL:...and I'm a long-suffering Spurs fan.:)

Good win for Leicester which has put them 4th. Spurs are away to Burnley tomorrow evening..(8.00pm).. a good side ,ended up mid-table last season but languishing at the bottom with one point along with Sheffield United and Fulham so we should win but as I say....lol. I hope we win which will put us on 11 pts and behind Leicester and above Leeds. Nice to Leeds back in the PL too.

Yes, now watch Leicester lose to Leeds next week.:(

Happy with our performance against Liverpool, we play like that against most of the league and we'll be picking up points in no time.

I'm going to keep an eye on that game now :)

Wow ! a 4 - 1 win at Leeds. I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised. This with 5 ‘nailed on’ 1st team players out injured. I watched all the match. Evergreen Vardy was brilliant, so much more than a goalscorer.

‘JohnC6’ we usually lose to Spurs and Harry Kane scores for fun.

I've always thought Kane was overrated, now he has some serious competition from Bale it will be interesting to see how they develop together.

I've always thought Kane was overrated, now he has some serious competition from Bale it will be interesting to see how they develop together.

I thought that but his record does suggest otherwise!

Watch this space.

We're going to actually cross the ball on Saturday and put about 6 past Chelsea ...

Wow ! a 4 - 1 win at Leeds. I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised. This with 5 ‘nailed on’ 1st team players out injured. I watched all the match. Evergreen Vardy was brilliant, so much more than a goalscorer.

‘JohnC6’ we usually lose to Spurs and Harry Kane scores for fun.

4-1 ? :rolleyes:. I got distracted and didn't reaslise it had finished at 4-1. . Excellent.

Agree re Vardy. An inspirational player and great that he stayed with Leicester after that 2015/16 League wi .

Well, it's not just Kane you need to be concerned about now but Bale got his first goal on Sunday against Brighton which will give him a great lift as he settles in. Then there's Son ..or Sonny as they call him.. who's in great form and often taking passes from Kane as part of a set up by Mourhino just like Mourhino did at Real Madrid with Benzema and Ronaldo. Poch has to take a lot of credit for developing Kane and Son to that level,though.In addition we now have Doherty and Reguilon (he came with Bale from Real Madrid) We've also signed Joe Rodon (defender) from Swansea at the last minute Then there's Hojbjerg ex Southampton That's where Bale came from to Spurs, originally .The team is suddenly shaping up well. I think they also have a chance to win the league, as does Leicester again especially as there are some results going against the odds these days. Vardy-Albrighton-Maddison- Chilwell...Barnes..Lallana Praet,Tielmans etc and not to mention Schmeichel of course...why not ? I enjoy watching Leicester. Pity that Mahrez, Drinkwater and Okazaki left. Don't hear much of Drinkwater these days at Chelsea. I think that move was a mistake.

4-1 ? :rolleyes:. I got distracted and didn't reaslise it had finished at 4-1. . Excellent.

Agree re Vardy. An inspirational player and great that he stayed with Leicester after that 2015/16 League wi .

Well, it's not just Kane you need to be concerned about now but Bale got his first goal on Sunday against Brighton which will give him a great lift as he settles in. Then there's Son ..or Sonny as they call him.. who's in great form and often taking passes from Kane as part of a set up by Mourhino just like Mourhino did at Real Madrid with Benzema and Ronaldo. Poch has to take a lot of credit for developing Kane and Son to that level,though.In addition we now have Doherty and Reguilon (he came with Bale from Real Madrid) We've also signed Joe Rodon (defender) from Swansea at the last minute Then there's Hojbjerg ex Southampton That's where Bale came from to Spurs, originally .The team is suddenly shaping up well. I think they also have a chance to win the league, as does Leicester again especially as there are some results going against the odds these days. Vardy-Albrighton-Maddison- Chilwell...Barnes..Lallana Praet,Tielmans etc and not to mention Schmeichel of course...why not ? I enjoy watching Leicester. Pity that Mahrez, Drinkwater and Okazaki left. Don't hear much of Drinkwater these days at Chelsea. I think that move was a mistake.

Yes, Spurs truly have some ‘firepower’ We need Soyuncu fit and playing at his best for this match. I think he will be partnered by the ‘new lad’ Wesley Fofana who will likely displace Johnny Evans. The player we really miss (and who wouldn’t is Kante) this is why we need Ndidi back and at his best. When you think Leicester have sold Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Mcguire and Chiwell for approx 250 million and are still competitive with the top six I think the recruiting is excellent.
I have to agree, I think Spurs have an excellent chance of winning the league. The 1st half they played against West Ham
was some of the best football I have seen for a long time.

I disagree with that assessment but of course it depends on your criteria .He isn't a great all rounder but he is a solid, dependable player..even Ronaldo and Messi have poor games..and Gareth Southgate obviously thinks the same. I'm sure Kane is relieved to have Bale on board as there was too much resting on him. Bale is 31 and already his agent has said he will be up to stay at Spurs for the two years remaining of his Real Madrid contract. I think he'll end his career at Spurs. It may well be ,too that Kane,at 27 would rather stay at Spurs to win trophies..he's got Spurs stamped through him like a stick of Blackpool rock has Blackpool stamped throughit..if it still exists..and with Bale and the new arrivals I think he'll be delighted but there will be those in the sports media who will look for negativity.

Watch this space.

We're going to actually cross the ball on Saturday and put about 6 past Chelsea ...

Yes.. It was amazing watching that reticence to get the ball across after getting in behind City so many times. Kyle Walker's goal was superb, though.

Chris Wilder will get them sorted for the Chelsea game and beyond, I'm sure . I really don't think you'll be near be sharing bottom place with Burnley for long.

Yes.. It was amazing watching that reticence to get the ball across after getting in behind City so many times. Kyle Walker's goal was superb, though.

Chris Wilder will get them sorted for the Chelsea game and beyond, I'm sure . I really don't think you'll be near be sharing bottom place with Burnley for long.

I've got faith. We've got decent goal difference for a team that's only scored 3 and got a point.

My problem with Kane is the amount of penalties he scores. I haven't done a comparison, but I would suggest that he has a higher number of penalties per goal than most other "top" strikers. He also falls over far too easily (to win yet another penalty)....

Bale I think, is in a different league. His all round ability is around one of the best in Europe. He would have scored more goals in Spain if he were allowed to, but I understand he was on strict orders to make sure Ronaldo scored more than anybody (including Messi).

My problem with Kane is the amount of penalties he scores. I haven't done a comparison, but I would suggest that he has a higher number of penalties per goal than most other "top" strikers. He also falls over far too easily (to win yet another penalty)....

Bale I think, is in a different league. His all round ability is around one of the best in Europe. He would have scored more goals in Spain if he were allowed to, but I understand he was on strict orders to make sure Ronaldo scored more than anybody (including Messi).

Yes, agree re his penalty count, it has contributed quite a lot to his tally. Not surer if he goes down too easliy,he is a taget anywhere near goal out of thge penalty box,of course.

Just abou to watch him now re Ludogarets Euro Cup. Bale also starting.BT Sport.

An unusual season so far. A different team at the top of the Premier League each week and not the usual suspects either.

Also seems strange seeing both Manchester clubs in the bottom half.

Don't have a clue what happened to Arsenal last night.... Jeez, losing 3-0 at home to Villa :mad:

An unusual season so far. A different team at the top of the Premier League each week and not the usual suspects either.

A Leicester supporter (me) might argue that we as a winner 4 years ago are a "usual suspect" ? :D However leaving partisanship aside I accept your point and have to say isn't it refreshing ?
I still expect the "usual suspects" to rise to the top of the pile. I have a sneaking feeling that Spurs might actually win it this year ?
But don't write Leicester off ! we are top of the league with Soyuncu, Ndidi, Pereira, Castagne and Amartey out injured. The first 4 named are 'nailed on' 1st choice regulars.

But City have a game in hand over many and would jump up a bit with a win, although it is still early days - fully expect the top 4 to be out of Liverpool, City, Leicester, and Chelsea/Spurs

Arsenal are a joke, yet again a lack of desire, although Villa are awesome at the moment. Watkins a good buy and two of the best mids this season in Grealish & Barclay.

But City have a game in hand over many and would jump up a bit with a win, although it is still early days - fully expect the top 4 to be out of Liverpool, City, Leicester, and Chelsea/Spurs

Arsenal are a joke, yet again a lack of desire, although Villa are awesome at the moment. Watkins a good buy and two of the best mids this season in Grealish & Barclay.

Villa are blowing hot and cold though. Put 7 past Liverpool then lost 3-0 at home to Leeds and 4-3 at home to Southampton (after being 4-0 down) before winning 3-0 away to Arsenal. They're next game (Brighton at home) could go either way.

A Leicester supporter (me) might argue that we as a winner 4 years ago are a "usual suspect" ? :D However leaving partisanship aside I accept your point and have to say isn't it refreshing ?
I still expect the "usual suspects" to rise to the top of the pile. I have a sneaking feeling that Spurs might actually win it this year ?
But don't write Leicester off ! we are top of the league with Soyuncu, Ndidi, Pereira, Castagne and Amartey out injured. The first 4 named are 'nailed on' 1st choice regulars.

I wouldn't worry about Spuds, last time they got close, they came 3rd in a 2 horse race.... :LOL:

This evening a good solid performance by Spurs defence puts them at the top of the table ,two points clear (20 pts) after beating Manchester City 2-0 making it eight games without a loss. It's coming together, at last.Hope Alderweireld's groin injury won't keep him out for too long.

Tomorrow, Liverpool (17 pts) at home to Leicester(18 pts) so a draw would suit Spurs well. Mo Salah has tested positive for Covid for the second time so he'll be out
along with Trent-Alexander,Joe Gomez and Virgil Van Dijk. Those absentees,I would think, will give Leicester the edge..Castagne back from a ham string injury but he's been out for four games.

About to watch Manchester United, who are without Pogba and no home win in four games v West Brom.

Got that wrong. Liverpool win 3-0. Spurs still top on gd, though.

According to the commentator that's 64 home games unbeaten for Liverpool ,starting in 2017.

That was an expensive head butt from Pepe,,, I just don't see £70m in him, complete waste of money.

Back