The 2011 Slimming Thread!!

Edit My Images
No
Well I just came on to ask a question about peoples goals etc for 2011 and saw the 2010 thread. Had a flick through and saw some of my fellow TPers have made amazing progress throughout 2010!!

So looking for some inspiration I thought I would start this thread for the New Year! I'm hopeing :D people will post their goals for 2011 and use this thread to motivate each other :D I know I certainly need it :LOL:

Anyway this is me and my goals :wave:

Currently weight: 72kg
Height: 5'8"
Body Fat: 22-24%
Main goal(s): Reduce body fat, improve cardiovascular health

I am currently quite inactive due to 'other commitments', illness and bad weather. But want to have a more active 2011 and stop using these excuses year after year

Happy New Year all!

Last edited:
Give me a shout, if anyone needs help.

I'd be happy to help/advise where i can.

Im in the process of moving my website, so all the content isnt on there at the moment.

Last edited:
Hi :wave:

I certainly want to reduce my weight by a significant amount, mainly as i worry about my health now i am into the 40's.

I cant seem to get the motivation going and my usual excuses start....
2011 needs to be different, and i have a holiday to go to in June so dont want to scare the natives :puke:

Im a nutritionist and i work with bodybuilders, so i have quite a range of clients.

Im in the process of moving my website, so all the content isnt on there at the moment.

But, here are some of my clients' progress pictures...

http://www.grnutrition.co.uk/clientsprogress.html

Thanks Katchit! Looks really impressive you have some amazing results there, hope you can help :D

I certainly want to reduce my weight by a significant amount, mainly as i worry about my health now i am into the 40's.

2011 needs to be different, and i have a holiday to go to in June so dont want to scare the natives :puke:

Soooo whats the plan!?

Last edited:
It was a really good programme wasn't it Tina! I missed the first half but I will definitely need to watch it again. Losing weight eating cheese, wow. haha

Thanks Katchit! Looks really impressive you have some amazing results there, hope you can help :D

Thanks very much!

It'd be a good start for people on here to read my articles that i have on the website too.

Same here. Would love to lose a good 2 stone - been eating more sensibly (Christmas aside) but do need to do more exercise and cut portion sizes down. Just lack willpower!

Weight: 5 tonnes
Would like to look like: Angelina Jolie
Aim to lose: 5 tonnes
:| I saw myself in a clothes shop changing room. Wasn't impressed.

I have lost 3.5 stone since the summer mainly through changing my eating habits and exercise (and a little bit of stress :D). For years I have started going to the gym but have usually given up after a couple of weeks or so. This time I have been using the VibroGym and have really enjoyed it, a gym local to me has about 6 or 7 of these and there are various programmes that you can use - weight loss, toning, strength, stretching etc but what has really clinched it for me is that I can be in and out in around 35 minutes and do a full work-out including warm up and cool down. Whereas before I would have to 20-30 minutes on a cardio machine to warm up now I can be ready in three minutes.

Another revelation (for me) was diet and how carbs affect your body and I have drastically reduced my carb intake (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes etc) and increased my protein. I read a fascinating book called The New High Protein Diet by Dr Charles Clark and this explains how carbohydrates can increase body fat, in summary it is something like this:
  • When you are hungry you eat carbs which provide a quick source of energy;
  • This stimulates the production of insulin thereby lowering the blood sugar making you hungry again;
  • Insulin then stimulates the deposit of excess carbohydrate as fat and prevents the body fat from being used to provide energy making it very difficult to break down body fat if insulin levels are elevated.

This approach has changed my outlook and I notice now that when I do eat something like white bread I now feel sluggish and bloated afterwards so I try and avoid it as much as possible.

To give you an idea the following image shows me just over two years ago (I'd put on more weight since then) and another image from the end of September although I have since lost another 1/2-3/4 stone since then:

BeforeAfterweb.jpg

Wow Colin! What an improvement!! You look so much healthier and definitely suit your shirt tucked in :) Thanks for sharing mate!

Hmm,

I'm planning to get pretty serious this Year.

I used to be 16 stone (100kg) and naturally lost a bit of weight and then stopped eating so much Junk ( I was only 16-17 at the time) now 19.

Over Christmas I went a bit mad ( a lot of us do! ) and probably a bit heavier than I was so here's my rough stats

Currently weight: 80kg
Height: 6'4"
Main goal(s): Reduce body fat, Improve muscle, Get fitter to take up a sport in Winter '11

I plan to do a mixture of weights and Cardio 4 days a week( Treadmill, Bike, Rower ) as well as my daily ( week days) cycle of about 3-4KM which I push hard.

I also wanna cut my meals down to 3 a day, Just breakfast, lunch and dinner with no snacks in between.

Need to lose about 3 stone but I have no will power. Thinking about joining the gym this year but dont like the idea that i need to pay an induction fee when I know how to use the machines as I used to do alot of weight trainning a few years back

I read a fascinating book called The New High Protein Diet by Dr Charles Clark and this explains how carbohydrates can increase body fat, in summary it is something like this:
  • When you are hungry you eat carbs which provide a quick source of energy;
  • This stimulates the production of insulin thereby lowering the blood sugar making you hungry again;
  • Insulin then stimulates the deposit of excess carbohydrate as fat and prevents the body fat from being used to provide energy making it very difficult to break down body fat if insulin levels are elevated.

Colin, you have done fantastic, very good progress.

I just wanted to analyse a few things from your post though...

When people are hungry, they dont have to eat carbs, however, in general, too many people neglect protein and healthy fats, therefore, their carbohydrate intake is usually high.

Insulin is a very mis-understood hormone, even by a lot of professionals. There isn't a specific amount of insulin which is released after people have eaten, it is dependant upon metabolic state, type of food ingested, amount of food ingested, etc...

The other rather large myth is the fact that as soon as insulin is raised, it stops everything else being burned, i.e. fat. People seem to think as soon as insulin is increased, even slightly, fat burning can not occur, which is wrong.

Insulin levels will actually increase glucose within the bloodstream, following a carbohydrate based food ingestion.

Carbohydrates have large stores within muscles, and also, the body has the ability to store glucose within the liver, which is also where fructose is stored. Excess carbohydrates will be turned into adipose tissue, if those stores are full, but the stores within muscles especially, are quite large!

Need to lose about 3 stone but I have no will power. Thinking about joining the gym this year but dont like the idea that i need to pay an induction fee when I know how to use the machines as I used to do alot of weight trainning a few years back

Must be a health and safety thing :thinking: seems a bit odd though

Good idea to start Hope and good website Gareth.

I'm a personal trainer and it's good to see that everyone is interested in getting fit and losing weight :)

Won't say too much on diet or eating as you can lookn at Gareth's site but I always go by eating small and often (every 2-3 hours) as it keeps your metabolism high and I only eat natural foods - anything that comes from the ground, lean meats and natural fats such as nuts.

There are a lot of good websites out there on training in a gym and at home, so just pick something that is suited to what you want to achieve.

Ask the staff too - so many people just wonder around a gym not knowing what they are doing then leave because they get bored!! Although some gym instructors don't know their a*** from their elbow! :LOL:

But you can always ask me if you're not sure, as I love talking fitness :)

Sex: Male
Aim: To put on lean muscle
Height: 6'2
Weight: 83kg
Ideal Weight: 90kg

Good luck all with 2011 - eat healthy, move more and have fun.

Karl.

PS - no I'm not on comisson from Gareth about his website! :LOL:

Eat less, if you think your hungry drink water as your probably thirsty, always sit at a table to eat with no distractions, take your time eating and put down your knife and fork between each mouthfull and you WILL feel full quicker.
Walk to the shop instead of driving.
Eat when you are hungry not when you think you should. Allways have breakfast.
I'm doing it and it does work. Gone from 21 stone to 15.5

Haha, well so far I am happy with my progress! It is mainly dietary at the minute, haven't had a chance to get any exercise done. But I know I will so I guess its ok.

Haha, well so far I am happy with my progress! It is mainly dietary at the minute, haven't had a chance to get any exercise done. But I know I will so I guess its ok.

Progress is all about diet anyway, your diet dictates how well your progress.

Exercise simply compliments and adds to your dietary approach.

Too many people think the other way, exercise themselves into the ground, whilst having a diet which isn't focused towards their goals, and they dont progress.

Progress is all about diet anyway, your diet dictates how well your progress.

Exercise simply compliments and adds to your dietary approach.

Too many people think the other way, exercise themselves into the ground, whilst having a diet which isn't focused towards their goals, and they dont progress.

Agree!! Diet is 80% of the battle.

Makes me laugh when I see people sweating it out in the gym just so they can eat the food they like and therefore not actually making any difference!

Good saying I once heard - do you live to eat or eat to live!?

Soooo Gareth, about that comission!? :LOL:

There was an interesting programme tonight about interval training.

A guy did 4 mins a day, 3 times a week (2 mins on, 2 mins off)
The woman did 20 mins jogging 5 times a week.
After 5 weeks he had more weight and fat loss than her! :)

Thats 12 mins a week compared to 100mins! :D

Yes, but were they both tested under the same dietary conditions, i.e. what meal they had before hand, and what meal after?

Yes, but were they both tested under the same dietary conditions, i.e. what meal they had before hand, and what meal after?

Not that I recall, it wasn't a very fair test.
One male vs. One female
Different ages
Different activity rates
Different diet.

But the evidence so far seems to favour interval training.

Nutrition wise what would be the best approach?

Im a nutritionist and i work with bodybuilders, so i have quite a range of clients.

But, here are some of my clients' progress pictures...

http://www.grnutrition.co.uk/clientsprogress.html

Hi Gareth,

Im looking at losing my belly and getting a bit more muscle whats the best diet to be on ?? as there are so many around at the moment.

I do have weight in the house which iam going to start doing and also going to start running for exercise .

Thank you in advance for any help you can give (y)
Craig

Hi Gareth,

Im looking at losing my belly and getting a bit more muscle whats the best diet to be on ?? as there are so many around at the moment.

I do have weight in the house which iam going to start doing and also going to start running for exercise .

Thank you in advance for any help you can give (y)
Craig

Evening Craig.

There is no 'diet' really to go on, what you have to do is address your eating habits, and be consistent with your approach. Everyone is on a 'diet', just some are more successful than others.

If you have the above goals, you want to choose your foods so that you have enough protein to hold onto lean tissue whilst you are dieting.

People under-estimate the value of lean tissue when dieting, which is often seen when people cut calories rather drastically and just eat a load of carbohydrate based foods, with little in the way of protein or healthy fats. Carbohydrates are protein sparing in some instances, however, if you do not provide your body with the amount of protein it requires, you will lose lean tissue.

Colin, you have done fantastic, very good progress.

I just wanted to analyse a few things from your post though...

When people are hungry, they dont have to eat carbs, however, in general, too many people neglect protein and healthy fats, therefore, their carbohydrate intake is usually high.

Insulin is a very mis-understood hormone, even by a lot of professionals. There isn't a specific amount of insulin which is released after people have eaten, it is dependant upon metabolic state, type of food ingested, amount of food ingested, etc...

The other rather large myth is the fact that as soon as insulin is raised, it stops everything else being burned, i.e. fat. People seem to think as soon as insulin is increased, even slightly, fat burning can not occur, which is wrong.

Insulin levels will actually increase glucose within the bloodstream, following a carbohydrate based food ingestion.

Carbohydrates have large stores within muscles, and also, the body has the ability to store glucose within the liver, which is also where fructose is stored. Excess carbohydrates will be turned into adipose tissue, if those stores are full, but the stores within muscles especially, are quite large!

Thanks Gareth, I wasn't trying to come across as an expert! I just wanted to explain my approach and how my diet and my training regime works for me. This is all new to me and it has been very interesting to find out the interaction between the various food 'groups' i.e. carbs, proteins, fats etc and our bodies. From what I can see too many people get caught up in the calories/fat issue and do not look at the wider picture and in particular the points you raised above.

I have started using this web site lately: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ its a bit like a facebook for fattys! Its really good for setting goals and loggin your daily food and exercise. I was 78.5kgs and have lost 5lbs over the last 8 days, just by not eating takeaways, not drinking 4 pints every night like I was last year, eating 3 healthy meals a day, more fruit and veg and walking 2.5 miles every lunchtime at work for 30 minutes. Hope to get more info from this thread.

Height: 5' 8''

Weight: 76.25kg (14/01/11)

Weight: 75.15kg (21/01/11)

Target weight: 70kg

and generally tone up, but dont really want to build muscle.

Last edited:
well, I was sitting at 14 stone, got it down to about 13 but the festive period has seen a reversal :D

Back tomorrow morning, looking for a target weight of about 12 1/2

Good luck peeps.

I use an iPhone app called Daily Burn which has helped me meet my targets. Id recommend it to anyone that uses such a device

So carbs put on weight? Ok, I'll go for pork scratchings rather than a bag of crisps with my pint :p

So carbs put on weight? Ok, I'll go for pork scratchings rather than a bag of crisps with my pint :p

Make sure you update your progress on here too! :) I think you could up your pintage too

Hi all :)

I am back in the 'zone'

Over 18 months I lost four stone. Changed eating habits and joined the gym and LOVE IT.

however,

Hit a plato (sp) went gym 4 mornings a week during summer for 5 weeks and no weight shifted :(

So when I came back from my jollies I stopped going gym and ate more than I was, but still less than I used too, sooo now some weight has gone back on,

Not having that ... ohhh no, no, no so last week went back to gym :) still love it - good to see new folk and be welcomed back by the old.

New plan, more water keeping eye on what I am eating using bootsdiets.com - helps me keep count of what I am having and how much I have left ....

Hope to go on hols with my friend in the summer so lots of motivation for me :)

Look forward to sharing highs/lows and yipeeeeeeeeeee's with you :)

I'm back at the gym too after about 6 weeks absence :confused: Mainly caused by catching some sort of bug and not being able to do anything so broken myself back in gently with a 3.5K run on Tuesday and almost 5K tonight. Half hour of weights both nights which takes me up to about an hour total which is all I can afford time wise.

Put on about 6lbs since I stopped going and am at about 13stone 9. I'd like to get rid of about a stone.

I'm back at the gym too after about 6 weeks absence :confused: Mainly caused by catching some sort of bug and not being able to do anything so broken myself back in gently with a 3.5K run on Tuesday and almost 5K tonight. Half hour of weights both nights which takes me up to about an hour total which is all I can afford time wise.

Put on about 6lbs since I stopped going and am at about 13stone 9. I'd like to get rid of about a stone.

I would love to be able to run, but I am still to big to do it without damaging the roads :)

I have been gym 3 times this week and am so glad I am back, I have alternated between cycle and cross trainer and then next time treadmill and keeping about 45/60 mins weights.

I tippy toe'd (is that a work lol toe'd) onto scales this morning and it looks like I am 1/2 stone down on what I have put back on. That makes me a very happy bunny - birthday tomorrow so will be hard to resist cakes etc .. but will just have smaller slice or do extra 20 mins on tread.

I've just started doing circuits twice a week, one a 'normal' circuit and the other on the Vibrogym which is an absolute killer. My weight has gone up slightly to about 13.5 stone but I think is due to more muscle mass and to be honest I'm not going to be a slave to the scales as they do not always give a true indication e.g. a guy I train with is a top level rugby player who is only 5'8" yet he weighs 18 stone with very little fat on him.

Back