The 22/23 Football Thread

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Just thought I'd start this off ready for the new season, and we can discuss transfers etc.

Sterling to Chelsea, that was a bit of a surprise. I know he's a London boy at heart, but I thought he was doing well at City.

Gabriel Jesus - a good buy for Arsenal? I think so, they needed a decent finisher, especially as they have a CL spot.

Richarlison from Watford to Spurs - They could do with a good winger, and a decent 3rd striker so a good buy in my book.

Good move.

Yes. Jesus is an excellent buy for Arsenal.I don't know the other three, one being a goalie.. £87.36m spent.I see that 11 loan players have returned including Bellerin back from Real Betis.

I'm very pleased that Everton's Richarlison (£60m) is at Spurs. He's undone us on a couple of occasions at Goodison Park. Spurs have sold Bergwijn to Ajax and are to sell Harry Winks. Everton are interested in him and Real Madrid have put out feelers for Son. I'm darned sure that won't happen.

Really pleased to see Christian Eriksen back in the top flight. Now with Manchester United.

Really looking forward to seeing Erling Haarland play (Man City, of course).

First games kick off Friday August 5th. Not long. Crystal Palace v Arsenal, I see. Spurs v Southampton next day and West Ham will be the first to face Haarland on Sunday the 7th.

Last edited:
Palace Vs Arsenal is a hard one for our family. Not only is the man mountain, Viera, their manager, but my brothers Grandson is at their academy, and it seems he's a bit of a star. Started out at right wing and he now leads the line. He's only 14, but he's also district champion for the 100 metres in his age group.

Palace Vs Arsenal is a hard one for our family. Not only is the man mountain, Viera, their manager, but my brothers Grandson is at their academy, and it seems he's a bit of a star. Started out at right wing and he now leads the line. He's only 14, but he's also district champion for the 100 metres in his age group.

Kept forgetting to check here..sorry.

Sounds very promising re your great nephew ( I think I've got that right :) ) A proud dad,I'm sure. Hopefully a few tickets might come your way. With the 100m title under his belt sound like he'll be outrunning opponents. He'll probably be nicked by one of the other big London clubs in time.

It will be interesting to see how Jesus does, playing every week, and being the main focus of an attack.

I can see Richarlison being the same inconsistent grumpy chap that was at Everton. How will he fit in with Kane and Son! I can see him frustrating Conte. Great deal for Everton to get so much for him, but I don't hear any murmurs about spending some of the money to replace his goals! :thinking:

Sterling's move was a weird one. I'm not sure there was a big queue waiting to sign him. Cit€h have let a couple of surprises go. I thought Zinchenko was doing well there.

It will be interesting to see how Jesus does, playing every week, and being the main focus of an attack.

I can see Richarlison being the same inconsistent grumpy chap that was at Everton. How will he fit in with Kane and Son! I can see him frustrating Conte. Great deal for Everton to get so much for him, but I don't hear any murmurs about spending some of the money to replace his goals! :thinking:

Sterling's move was a weird one. I'm not sure there was a big queue waiting to sign him. Cit€h have let a couple of surprises go. I thought Zinchenko was doing well there.

I'ver put a quote because if you're like me and don't get one I 'forget'. to go back.Can't beat a 'heads-up.:)

I have faith in Conte's astuteness and if he sees value, even at that price,which isn't that far from the going rate for a striker in Richarlison then I'm happy to go with that. He was often partnered with Calvert-Lewin and put in a good shift when CL was either injured or just not picked.seemingly and by all accounts did a good job.I've watched him on the left wing and he's a problem to the opposition.I read one article on him and it stated that he is also a quick thinker who has the ability to make correct decisions whether that is by making the right pass or knowing when to make the right run and his tally of ten goals and five assists in just 30 games is excellent when you consider the options around him. Everton have performed poorly under Benitez and less than convincing Lampard [I see Ashely Cole has been appointed first team coach]but when I watched them play ,for me,Richarlison stood out and when Spurs played them I thought we could have done without him up against us. Yes,..as you say a bit grumpy....lol. I noticed that,too. I actually thought that at the rate Everton are going..looking at relegation,I couldn't believe it, they're going to lose Richarlison. By the way,..when I was 11/12 my dad put me on the train at Frodsham and my uncle picked me up at Lime Street (all the family were from Liverpool- L6/7) and took me to Goodison Park some Saturdays and I recall the 'Toffee' lady who was dressed like Nell Gwynn..large blue/white dress and bonnet, throw Everton black/white humbug mints actually, not toffees, into the crowd, Before your time, probably. :) Why Spurs now ? Long story after moving away from my original home turf including 3 years in Germany.

Richarlison would also provide Spurs with another proven goal scorer( and goal assists) to go along with Kane, Son and Kulusevski.

Just 10 days to go to kick-off.

Sadly, giving out the sweets before the games at Goodison were not before my time. :( :LOL:

Time will tell with Richarlison. I have a feeling, with no evidence, because it's a feeling, ;) that because he was 'the main man' in that Everton team, his moodiness and lack of discipline, was ignored, and he was pretty much guaranteed to play if fit. That may not be the case at Spurs, and it will be interesting to see what happens when Conte flexes his authority at some point and leaves out of a few games. He'll definitely not smile and chill, because I don't think he is capable of that. :LOL:

I recall the 'Toffee' lady who was dressed like Nell Gwynn..large blue/white dress and bonnet
throw Everton black/white humbug mints actually, not toffees
I'm not picking on you John honestly but "dressed like Nell Gwynn" is pushing it a bit isn't it I don't ever remember her dressed in such a provocative way as we assume Gwynn dressed.

Everton mints indeed have a black and white striped outer but they do have a toffee centre always have had.

Other than that I agree Richarlison is a bit moody a good player though, I have no idea where he will fit in for spurs.

I'm not picking on you John honestly but "dressed like Nell Gwynn" is pushing it a bit isn't it I don't ever remember her dressed in such a provocative way as we assume Gwynn dressed.

Everton mints indeed have a black and white striped outer but they do have a toffee centre always have had.

Other than that I agree Richarlison is a bit moody a good player though, I have no idea where he will fit in for spurs.

I've just checked,Nell Gwyne. I got that wrong, No idea why I thought of her. :rolleyes:

We must remember to re-visit the Richarlison issue after he's got a few games behind him.

In case anyone else interested in watching this game missed it in the listings.

Just turned on TV to watch BBC new....5.00pm.. and, fortunately, ITV came on as the last station showing when I switched off last night.

Just in time to see the kick-off for Liverpool v Manchester City in the Community Shield Cup. It was not in the main headline listings of my paper's TV/radio listings section hence missing it whilst looking through earlier to see what was on.It's being played at the King Power Stadium. First Chance to see new players Erling Haaland and Alvarez. (Manchester City)

Last edited:
Great to listen to the football again. Half-time just started . Crystal Palace 0 v Arsenal 1. It's on Sky which I don't have so its TalkSport.

The commentators say that Jesus is playing at a different level (higher) than the rest so a good start and obviously a good buy. Martinelli scored the first goal of the Premiere League season.

Had to laugh at this. Betfair, the online gambling company, gave various odds on who will score next etc but also 5-1 for Xhaka to get a yellow card in the first 5 minutes of the second half a :LOL:

Well he got one eventually! When you have Xhaka in your squad, you know that he's going to miss a minimum of 5 games a season through suspension, Viera was the same, but was a couple of classes above Xhaka.

Anyway, at least we're top of the league :LOL:

Great game by Fulham today, and a well deserved point from a Liverpool team who seemed a little off the boil, especially after they looked against Cit€h, and took a awhile to get going. Fulham kept Liverpool in their own half for about the first 15 mins, which is normally Liverpool's game plan. Bit of a dodgy penalty decision for Mitrovic, who took the penalty well. I didn't see the Salah equalizer, but glad for a point. :)

Last edited:
I really like Saleh. He smiles at decisions against him (also if he misses a goal opportunity) rather than throw his teddy out of the pram,I can't recall him remonstrating with a ref. He's basically a gentleman and a great role model. I'm not sure I go with his goal celebration.. down on his knees arms raised as muslims do in prayer but on the other hand some of the others look to the skies with raised arms, maybe to a dead parent(s)..who knows.

The women's Euro Cup win thread went a bit hay-wire but talking of the latter...religious gestures in football, so many players in the men's game come on to pitch..usually as subs but also those in the starting line, crossing themselves. I didn't see one of the Lionesses do that. They must be an irreligious bunch :D

Spurs can start a season well and drop off. They can also lose several at the start and then do well but those early losses have cost them a top four spot.

This time I really do think it's different and, obviously, because of Conte. The summer window finishes at 5.00pm on Thursday September 1st and I think I heard that Spurs aren't done yet. They are after Serie A Udinese defender (left back) Destiny Udogie but so are Brighton and Manchester City. Having said that, it's been reported in Italy that Udinese are hoping for a fee of around £21m for him stay on loan with them for the season.

I'm very optimistic re Spurs this time.Conte seems to have them playing Klopp's 'gegen presse' style. The next game is next Sunday the (14th) against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge so that will be interesting. I see they managed a scrappy 1-0 win at Goodison Park yesterday.

This is a copy/paste explanation.

The concept of gegenpressing, which means ‘counter pressing’ in German, appeared around 30 years ago. It is a tactic whereby a team, having lost possession, immediately attempts to win it back. Whereas most teams would opt to fall back into place once surrendering possession, teams that use gegenpressing essentially counter the counter-attack. Plenty of commitment, teamwork and running is required to execute the system perfectly. A touch of cunning is also a key aspect, given that it involves pouncing on opposition teams in the moments when they are disorganised or just beginning to build up an attack. It’s rapid and intense, and only works with the right manager and the right set of player .

There are, of course, moments within the game where players within the system must conserve their energy. 90 minutes is a long time, so picking and choosing the right moments becomes of the utmost importance. Whether it be a poor pass, or a weaker player receiving the pass, it’s key to select those moments wisely in order to avoid exhaustion or indeed injury. The latter has often been a topic of debate regarding Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool. Incidentally, Klopp is perhaps the most prominent name associated with the tactic.

Last edited:
I really like Saleh. He smiles at decisions against him (also if he misses a goal opportunity) rather than throw his teddy out of the pram,I can't recall him remonstrating with a ref. He's basically a gentleman and a great role model. I'm not sure I go with his goal celebration.. down on his knees arms raised as muslims do in prayer but on the other hand some of the others look to the skies with raised arms, maybe to a dead parent(s)..who knows.

The women's Euro Cup win thread went a bit hay-wire but talking of the latter...religious gestures in football, so many players in the men's game come on to pitch..usually as subs but also those in the starting line, crossing themselves. I didn't see one of the Lionesses do that. They must be an irreligious bunch :D
As an atheist, I care nothing for any religion, but anyone who has religion in their life wants to express their 'love/devotion/thanks' then go ahead, as long as it does not affect me, do what you want. If Salah, or anyone else feels that expressing the 'love/devotion/thanks' helps them play better then carry on. Sports performance is about mind and body being in sync, if religion is part of that for an individual, then may they be at peace with 'their god', and take that positivity into their performances.

I do find it pleasing that there does not seem to be clashes amongst sports teams about different religions, and those with no religion, in teams/squads, or at least nothing that I have heard of. If only the whole world could be like that, living and working together whilst respecting each others beliefs, or lack of, it could be a better place. :rolleyes:

As an atheist, I care nothing for any religion, but anyone who has religion in their life wants to express their 'love/devotion/thanks' then go ahead, as long as it does not affect me, do what you want. If Salah, or anyone else feels that expressing the 'love/devotion/thanks' helps them play better then carry on. Sports performance is about mind and body being in sync, if religion is part of that for an individual, then may they be at peace with 'their god', and take that positivity into their performances.

I do find it pleasing that there does not seem to be clashes amongst sports teams about different religions, and those with no religion, in teams/squads, or at least nothing that I have heard of. If only the whole world could be like that, living and working together whilst respecting each others beliefs, or lack of, it could be a better place. :rolleyes:

It's striking that it's only in football...men's football,at that. I'm not aware of any other sport where the players indulge in religious gestures. I stand to be corrected of course. Maybe you can point to another sport in which so many participants do that.

As you say,there are no clashes .Why should there be ? Anyone involved in a clash on those grounds would be suspended pretty quickly I'd have thought. Anyway, if you have a fantastic forward in your team,like Saleh is, who's going to criticise him ? Not his team mates. As you say, if that's the way those of a religious disposition get their inspiration so be it. You've probably noticed quite a few,for whatever reason grab a piece of turf as they come on. There seems to be a lot of superstition at play in men's football.

As an afterthought....Just out of interest, do you have any theories of why we see it only in men's football ?

I don't watch any EFL Championship games because most aren't televised or featured on Five Live/TalkSport like the Premiership games are so I don't know if it's confined only to the Premiere league or not.

Re your last sentence...respect religion ? ..organised religion ? I'm not going down that road in this thread.

Let's get back to football.

I see Erling Haaland made an impression at the London Stadium yesterday. There was only one Manchester City player who was going to take that penalty..Erling Haarland..who scored :)

I see that next Saturday it's Haaland v Bournmouth at the Etihad :D

It's striking that it's only in football...men's football,at that. I'm not aware of any other sport where the players indulge in religious gestures.

Pretty much any sport and at every level. Crossing oneself and/or kissing a crucifix.

Pretty much any sport and at every level. Crossing oneself and/or kissing a crucifix.

Really ? I didn't know that.

You'd think after a while that they'd realise it doesn't work. Well,...Lol..if they win then it works..if they lose..maybe God was busy and not paying attention or he wasn't in....:D

Or the wrong god (or goddess)...

Really ? I didn't know that.

You'd think after a while that they'd realise it doesn't work. Well,...Lol..if they win then it works..if they lose..maybe God was busy and not paying attention or he wasn't in....:D
They are being paid to play football, or whatever sport, I think praying to whatever deity they believe in is working just fine, ;) regardless of winning or losing a game. :LOL:

No more Saturday Classified Football results on the radio. The BBC said it takes to long. You always knew when a draw or a win or loss was comg by the intonation of the voice of the person reading them. It's like getting rid of the shipping forecast and its 'Sailing by" music.

I've now read that there's a massive campaign to reverse that decision.

PSG want Marcus Rashford apparently! :oops: :$ :thinking: :LOL:

I just came into this thread to post that.

I don't think ETH will let him go because he does rate him despite his poor ..lost..form that's spanned two seasons..ish. I can't recall where he's been played but not his favourite wing position.

I hear that Tyrone Mings is out of favour with Stevie Gerrard who has taken the captaincy off him and given it to John McGinn . There's plenty of time for a move before the summer window closes. Apparantly, in an interview, Mings took it on the chin and gave a good interview.

Spurs made an impressive start with a 4- win against Southampton but Sunday will be the time to see if they've really turned the corner. They play Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. It's on Sky so I won't be able to watch it. Hopefully, it will be on Five Live or TalkSport. Chelsea could only manage a 1-0 win at Goodison Park last week. Hopefully, Richarlison will be playing. He was under a ban for the Southampton game for throwing that flare when he was at Goodison. I saw the clip and it looked like he just picked it up off the ground (near the corner) and tossed it away but I couldn't see if anyone was where he threw it. I think someone on here pointed out that he didn't throw it at the crowd.

I expect Chelsea's new defender signing from Brighton (August 5th) Cucurella, will be in the starting line-up this week. He was brought on in the second half at Goodison.

Will Ronaldo start tomorrow against Brentford ? I see they (Man-U) play Liverpool at Anfield on the Monday 22nd. They're still not settled.

Maybe they need some charity work sorted? :ROFLMAO:
PSG could definitely do with the positive publicity his charity work would bring, if the addition of goals could be negligible.

For me, PSG are despicable, have no redeeming features. I wish them nothing but failure. Sadly, with all the money that is unlikely to happen. :rolleyes:

It was great listening to that Brentford game. I don't have Sky so had to listen to Five Live. I could hardly believe what I was listening to. There didn't seem to be any cohesion in the Manchester United squad and,once again, poor at the back. No communication between them. I just can't see them turning it around any time soon. The transfer window closes in a couple of weeks. Another problem is that these losses..Brighton last week, give encouragement to the lesser clubs that they can beat United who seem to be living on reputation these days rather than results. Former players must be in despair. Apart from Giggsy who's got other matters on his plate at the moment. :rolleyes:

I did feel sorry for Christian Eriksen. It's great to see him back playing in the top flight after the heart attack but I think he should have gone to another premiere league club if any had made offers. United have had problems for a good while. A small minority of Brentford supporters were cruel and booed him shouting, "You should have stayed with a big club" :rolleyes:

PSG could definitely do with the positive publicity his charity work would bring, if the addition of goals could be negligible.

For me, PSG are despicable, have no redeeming features. I wish them nothing but failure. Sadly, with all the money that is unlikely to happen. :rolleyes:

That's an interesting comment. I know nothing about PSG. How come they are despicable ?

Utd were awful, I watched it live. Everybody looking at everybody else and shrugging their shoulders. Even Ronaldo, their one man team last year, is struggling.

Not that it upsets me, Man Utd fans seem to think they have a right to be number 1, and it winds me up.

That's an interesting comment. I know nothing about PSG. How come they are despicable ?
PSG have had trouble with fans fighting in the past, not only with opposition fans, but even amongst themselves in rival stands! :oops: :$ Thankfully that seem to have reduced. Many teams who have had some fans call themselves 'Ultras', have never been far from violence. :rolleyes:

They are a state owned club, by Qatar, and are one of the richest clubs in the world, never mind French football. That has led to 8 titles in 10 years. Like some other blubs they have some questionable sponsorship deals to get around Financial Fair Play rules.

Like Chelsea in the past, they change managers regardless of success, Win the league, and you could still lose your job!

Plus, they have Neymar, who I can not stand, and they paid £200m for him. :rolleyes:

PSG have had trouble with fans fighting in the past, not only with opposition fans, but even amongst themselves in rival stands! :oops: :$ Thankfully that seem to have reduced. Many teams who have had some fans call themselves 'Ultras', have never been far from violence. :rolleyes:

They are a state owned club, by Qatar, and are one of the richest clubs in the world, never mind French football. That has led to 8 titles in 10 years. Like some other blubs they have some questionable sponsorship deals to get around Financial Fair Play rules.

Like Chelsea in the past, they change managers regardless of success, Win the league, and you could still lose your job!

Plus, they have Neymar, who I can not stand, and they paid £200m for him. :rolleyes:

Possibly the worst diving melodramatic ponce of a player in decades!

Oh, and Arsenal won again :ROFLMAO:

I think Arteta,having moved on some of the players, is now moulding a team he wants..rather than one inherited and bringing in players he thinks will fit in. I've said it before but what a buy Gabriel Jesus was. I watched the game and he's a real live wire. You can almost see him thinking."Where's my best position for this ball coming in from the wing" ..In the box he just seems to have more desire to get that ball. He also looks like a decent lad ,too. judging by his open-face smiles after scoring. Some have an aggressive.."Take that" disposition and it shows. He's like Mo Saleh in that respect.

I think Arsenal will be battling it out again with Spurs and Chelsea for a top four slot. I'll also make sure I watch them on MoD if I can't see them live on BT Sport.

I can't believe I'm saying all this.:D

I see both Chelsea and Spurs managers getting Red cards at full time, ban them both for 3 games. Children do not want to see it kicking off.

Blimey..glad to reminded me. I wanted to watch MoD to see that...Disgraceful. I want to see Spurs last minute goal, too. I think it starts now..10.30pm.

I see both Chelsea and Spurs managers getting Red cards at full time, ban them both for 3 games. Children do not want to see it kicking off.

well more shocking was the standard of refereeing. Taylor was the mom for spurs with his 2 assists! Romero should have been off for his antics. Hard to blame tuchel when your team has been robbed like that.

Back