The Alhambra

Edit My Images
No
The Alhambra, a massive fortress city built by the Moorish Islamic conquerors of Spain in the 14th Century. Incredibly detailed with almost every wall covered in Arabic writtings and Islamic patterns...beautiful gardens and the light is just awesome.

A selection.

cIMG_1528.jpg

cIMG_1565.jpg

cIMG_1494.jpg

cIMG_1531.jpg

cIMG_1538.jpg

cIMG_1482.jpg

Like the set Breaker. Looks a great place to experiment.

Only thing I dont like is the narrow DOF in the last one. Sorry, but it just does'nt help pull me into the picture. Maybe better with the focus either front or back?

Anyway, other than that, very nice. (y)

Thanks for the feeback!

Incredible place for a walkaround....next time I'll try it without three kids and a pushchair. They didn't build those places to be wheelchair/pushchair friendly, I can tell you....

I agree with you on the last one. Trying to focus on the crack, but there's not enough in the foreground to pull you in and the angle is too tight to give you enough detail on the focal point.

Thanks again!

Fantastic set :clap::clap::clap:

My kind of pictures :D

I was supposed to be going there today with a friend from the UK as we only live a couple of hours away, but guess where she still is :(

That's a cool set - I like the way you've got a mix of wide(ish) and detail shots. The light in #2 is stunning, but I have no problem with any of the others. Classy work.

The last one is most firmly The Alhambra IMO, with the view over to the Albaicín. And a very nice frame within the frame.

I do like the light in #2.

If I have a criticism, it's that by using such shallow depth of field, you've managed to render the Islamic patterns you mentioned in your OP largely unintelligible, which is something of a shame.

....although perhaps less relevant to those of us who aren't fluent in arabic :D

and probably only really pertinent to two of the shots above - I really should make an effort so shoot with a wider DOF though, valid point.

thanks

Excellent set and does the place justice, however number 2 really stands out as something special. I love the composition and you've nailed the exposure.

Made me laugh....I'd just finished slating someone on another forum on which I'd posted a selection because of all the pics that one is the most classic and in my opinion possibly the most boring. Sure, it's a nice pic, and does the job - most people who have seen it have liked it, but it was just too easy...and I still think I messed up the composition :p Don't you think that it's one of those shots that you've seen time and time again previously?

That's one of the things I like about photography, it's very subjective so one man's meat is another man's poison.

The second shot is my fav ;)

I spent the day there, and easily could have spent longer, such a great place to explore.
I dont have such great images as I simply took snapshots when I visited with my point and click - well worth another trip

- I really should make an effort so shoot with a wider DOF though

Disagree. It was the shallow DOF that drew me to this set. If you have a style and a feel for a place, then go with it. They're your shots.

:D

Don't worry....I won't be abandoning my ridiculous DoF anytime soon, and given I've been shooting like this for the better part of ten years I doubt it's even possible.

However, I do often think that I've missed some excellent shots just by misjudging the DoF to the point where something important is excluded, or left incomplete.

Have a look at some of the other pictures I took while over in Spain and you'll see what I mean, take a look

Just been for a look - nice work. Its a particular style you've worked on and you use it well, I think. I'm always too wary of going in very (too?) close with travel shots. I tend to think that people (usually F&F) want to see the wide vistas and standard touristy stuff. I try and fight it, but usually fail.

Thanks for posting these - its a good lesson.

Back