The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Found you a car...

vw-polo-harlequin.jpg

Just playing with the 28-70mm kit lens. The last roses of the year?

Both at f8.

1-DSC01664.jpg

1-DSC01670.jpg

Me and the Mrs at f5.6.

1-DSC01672.jpg

if yiu stick it on top of the trigger it will fire in manual mode via the centre pin, but you will not be able to access the ttl/radio functions as it is too close to the trigger the same as if you hold it just of camera close to the trigger

ah someone told me that a firmware updated had fixed the short-range thing. Not double checked though

Replacement battery, dual charger and screen protectors arrived today, seems like an endless amount of money gets spent when a new toy turns up. :)

I make no criticism of the shoes here and in fact I quite like them even if they're a bit young for me...

Years ago I was talking to someone who worked for a brand I wont name... Anyway, their new designs passed through multiple departments and every department had to make a change. That's worth repeating, every department had to make a change. I remember thinking at the time that was more than stupid but I guess that's why I didn't work in fashion.

PS.
The last trainers I got were a present, £17 from Redcar market.

Last edited:
Did you get a strap and bag yet?
Haven't got a strap yet, thought about using the one that came with my A7iii but there may be better alternatives available. :)

I have a camera bag from Amazon but it's seen better days, it was only £20 but it's lasted over a year getting daily use. :)

Any recommendations on a good comfortable strap?

Haven't got a strap yet, thought about using the one that came with my A7iii but there may be better alternatives available. :)

I have a camera bag from Amazon but it's seen better days, it was only £20 but it's lasted over a year getting daily use. :)

Any recommendations on a good comfortable strap?

Fraid not. I just use a very cheap wrist strap I had in a drawer from years ago and my bag was about £8 from a Thai floating market. You'll be better off waiting for someone with good taste who isn't tight to come along and give you some sensible options :D

BTW I was amazed when face detect worked on that doggie in my avatar thingy.

Fraid not. I just use a very cheap wrist strap I had in a drawer from years ago and my bag was about £8 from a Thai floating market. You'll be better off waiting for someone with good taste who isn't tight to come along and give you some sensible options :D
Ha I'm sure your taste isn't that bad! :p

ah someone told me that a firmware updated had fixed the short-range thing. Not double checked though

Ah it could of been solved, it’s been a few months since I tried it, but I wouldn’t recommend it any way as the stack with the camera/transmitter/flash is anything but solid, it wouldn’t take much to snap something and the Godox Sony hotshoes appear to have the strength of Brie on a warm day

I am confident it will be a worlds first in some form or another to put it back on top.
My predictions are as follows:-

BSI global shutter
5K EVF at 240fps
8K/30 recording
High grade audio circuit board
full weather sealing.

I'd add dual-pixel AF for smooth low light video AF performance

If they could do a global shutter that would indeed be big news and possibly beyond customers expectations.

Just thinking about electronic companies and photography kit in the car and I do think we're seeing a major shift here. We've gone from cameras being purely mechanical devices to electro mechanical devices and now we're on the verge of seeing them become truly electronic devices. I think this matters because eliminating all mechanical moving parts and tolerance issues will eliminate problems that have been with us for years such as shutter slap and the later DSLR focus alignment issues leading to micro adjusting lenses and will enable the many benefits that will come with a purely electronic device.

I think Sony are definitely right when they say that there's more to mirrorless than taking the mirror out of DSLR's and that global shutters, eye detect and all of the rest will really move the kit on and make it more possible to more easily get shots in more situations. I think this is why electronic companies are very important to the future of photography.

After we reach a point when cameras will be electronic devices what will the next major step be? Optics or rather lenses maybe. I'll look forward to some disruptive technology such as the flat lenses we've started to hear about.

We live in interesting times :D

Just thinking about electronic companies and photography kit in the car and I do think we're seeing a major shift here. We've gone from cameras being purely mechanical devices to electro mechanical devices and now we're on the verge of seeing them become truly electronic devices. I think this matters because eliminating all mechanical moving parts and tolerance issues will eliminate problems that have been with us for years such as shutter slap and the later DSLR focus alignment issues leading to micro adjusting lenses and will enable the many benefits that will come with a purely electronic device.

I think Sony are definitely right when they say that there's more to mirrorless than taking the mirror out of DSLR's and that global shutters, eye detect and all of the rest will really move the kit on and make it more possible to more easily get shots in more situations. I think this is why electronic companies are very important to the future of photography.

After we reach a point when cameras will be electronic devices what will the next major step be? Optics or rather lenses maybe. I'll look forward to some disruptive technology such as the flat lenses we've started to hear about.

Look no further than your latest iterations of mobile phone tech.

While I'm on this subject I read this...

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2018/09/25/panasonic-s1r-ff-slr/

He says...

Untitled-1.jpg

He may be right about quality control but if he's talking about the MA/dock thingy this is IMO utter tosh because you're going to get alignment issues with anything that takes the focus from anything other than the sensor. Manufacturers that don't have a dock have MA in their cameras or the users use third party aids to get to what is possibly a less good end than the dock enables.

I don't think Sigma are even the only ones to offer a dock now are they? I'm sure I read about another one somewhere.

Last edited:

I would like to see electronic IBIS. At which point all moving parts in the camera will be gone.

Then some advancements in optics to make them smaller while maintaining sharpness. The distortions etc will probably be increasing corrected in software than optically.

While I'm on this subject I read this...

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2018/09/25/panasonic-s1r-ff-slr/

He says...

View attachment 135418

He may be right about quality control but if he's talking about the MA/dock thingy this is IMO utter tosh because you're going to get alignment issues with anything that takes the focus from anything other than the sensor. Manufacturers that don't have a dock have MA in their cameras or the users use third party aids to get to what is possibly a less good end than the dock enables.

I don't think Sigma are even the only ones to offer a dock now are they? I'm sure I read about another one somewhere.

I think that guy doesn't know what he is on about! I wouldn't trust a single word he says. His "bad" copies of sigma lenses probably just needed MFA.
Anyone who has ever owned a DSLR (and maybe a fast lens) and bothered to learn using it will know MFA is essential for just about any lens to get optimal focus. Its almost the first thing you do when you get a new lens even if it turns out it does not need correction (but you don't know that before checking)

Sigma did in the past have some bad QC but they have turned over a new leaf IMO. I think this person just some very strong anti-sigma bias or simply doesn't know how DSLRs work.

Last edited:
I often read his site and he can be very good and informative and there's no denying his photographic credentials but yes, I think he's had a brain fade on this one :D

Must resist !!! (I don't use my 24-70L....don't buy a GM)

I didn't use my lowly kit lens for years but recently I've taken it out a few times and I've been finding it a very useful thing and at least it means no lens changes when out and about. I've even been thinking about taking it on holiday.

I'm still mostly a prime guy but there's no denying that a "standard range" zoom is a very useful thing and a high quality f2.8 standard range zoom must be - doubly so.

I don't know how you can resist at that price.

From DP

Hie guys,

Yesterday I was in the street of my home town going across spots for a new series called "passages" and more I go around in paris more I see people with sony a7 series.

It is now very very obvious.

The italians are all in for a7riii or a9 with top notch gm lenses.

The british are more on the low end with telezoom like 24-240.

The germans are mostly using small setup with primes.

But the fact is there is no spot while walking you dont see any sonys. You see a lot now. I think it s about 30% users having either FF or a6000 series that switched to mirrorless.

On the other hand it s canons low or mid range stuff mostly and much less nikon that I would expected now days compared to few years back. exept for asians. Japanese are all in with high end canons or nikons FF dslr for instance.

Things are moving fast for mirrorless and dslr will be no more in a couple of years.

Back