The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sent the peak design lite back. It just kept moving over and cutting in to my neck. Shame really.

Focusing is fast and accurate. It's very very sharp. Dare i say sharpest non-macro lens I have used (p.s. haven't used sigma 85mm ART).

Down side is its huge, doesn't balance so well on Sony since a lot of the weight is at the front because of the hollow tube at the back.

Also for me APS-C mode with a 85mm f1.4 on an A7RIII gives roughly field of view of 130mm f2 @18mp. That is close enough for me since it's a focal length I don't use often.

If 135mm floats your boat and you are not concerned about the weight then go for it. The only other option is the basis 135mm f2.8 which is a rip off. The guy I borrowed the sigma from is selling his Batis and keeping the sigma. I don't blame him.
Thanks for that.

I have my first only Sony wedding tomorrow. :eek:

It might not have been the best idea I have ever had to travel up and stay in the hotel the night before.

Hammered :beer:

You'll love it lad. Easy peasy. We are out too, in the south again fs.

Anyone else have issues with PD straps cutting in to neck. Maybe it’s my body shape or where I have the mounts. I did try it in a few combos.

Shame as build and overall quality of the strap was excellent. I just had to constantly move it away from my neck and back over my shoulder. My black rapid just stays put. But guess that’s nature of the strap as it doesn’t slide when you use it.

Anyone else have issues with PD straps cutting in to neck. Maybe it’s my body shape or where I have the mounts. I did try it in a few combos.

Shame as build and overall quality of the strap was excellent. I just had to constantly move it away from my neck and back over my shoulder. My black rapid just stays put. But guess that’s nature of the strap as it doesn’t slide when you use it.

The lite version wasn't really suitable got second and 3rd gen sony bodies. It was fine for smaller bodies.

I have had the standard slide since it first came out and so far haven't felt the need to look for anything else. Its simple and it works.

Now that I think about it the slide normally goes over my collar, so there isn't much chance of it cutting me (if that is a possibility)

Because it’s cheaper :D

Not always the case - some venues I know only offer discounts for midweek rather than winter weekends. Our prices are the same regardless of the day of the week or time of the year.

From talking to couples, some simply just love the colours of Autumn or the cosiness of winter. The Christmas run-up does have a bit of magic to it. And on a good day, the low sun during winter is spectacular to work with from a portrait perspective.

Photographed a concerto competition last night, I had to pick a position and stay there during each performance to not distract the young performers (9 in total for 9 soloist who were being judged)

Dim lighting required 1/125th, f2.8 and ISO 2000-5000

For the pianist soloists I was stood 2 foot away over their shoulder, so it pleases me more than ever that I opted for a mirrorless camera with silent shooting - in particular the A9 (A7III wasn't out) over any DSLR option.

I know the school, performers and audience appreciate it too :D

Because it’s cheaper :D

Well that would convince me :D

Not always the case - some venues I know only offer discounts for midweek rather than winter weekends. Our prices are the same regardless of the day of the week or time of the year.

From talking to couples, some simply just love the colours of Autumn or the cosiness of winter. The Christmas run-up does have a bit of magic to it. And on a good day, the low sun during winter is spectacular to work with from a portrait perspective.

Is that common across most photographers or just how you do it?

Is that common across most photographers or just how you do it?

No idea, but it's how we operate.

We offer two types of coverage; to the meal or to the first dance. Often in winter people just choose coverage until the meal but I think that is less about budget and more about the sun having set.

Was quite far away from arena today so these are quite cropped. Good to try the AF system with movement coming towards the camera from a distance though. Not happy with the colours today, or the images in general really. Don't seem to have the pop that the D750 gave.

Bliss Jump 1 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Bliss Jump 2 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Last edited:
That grip looks a bit dodgy.

If I was looking at a camera like this I don't think this Zeiss would interest me. As it doesn't seem to have any buttons I assume you move the focus point and set the metering and do everything else by jabbing the touch screen and maybe it's just me but I don't think that's a particularly practical or nice thing to do with the camera to your eye while you're looking at the VF. Maybe screen jabbing will work for some but I can't see myself liking it or shooting and jabbing with the camera at half arms length from my face whilst I'm looking at the back screen. That might work for some but I'd rather jam my man parts in a door than regularly take pictures like that.

No idea, but it's how we operate.

We offer two types of coverage; to the meal or to the first dance. Often in winter people just choose coverage until the meal but I think that is less about budget and more about the sun having set.

We just charge the same all year round as well.

Somebody out there locally must be offering discount rates for mid week and off season though we have had a lot of enquiries asking about it recently.

First all Sony wedding today. All went according to plan apart from a slight regret that I didn't get an A9 rather than a second A7III.

The wife even liked the A9.

I have a couple of lenses I want to get though before I can splurge again on an another Sony body.

First all Sony wedding today. All went according to plan apart from a slight regret that I didn't get an A9 rather than a second A7III.

The wife even liked the A9.
What did you like on the Sony A9 over your A7 III...... silent shooting, blackout free or the extra knob? :D

What did you like on the Sony A9 over your A7 III...... silent shooting, blackout free or the extra knob? :D

The silent shooting and the speed was amazing for me. Although we where able to use the A7III in silent mode as well during the ceremony yesterday and it worked great too. Made a real difference as the church yesterday had very little room due to the amount of people, some of the guests had to wait outside and that was even with them bringing in extra chairs at the last minute and filling the aisle so we where very up close to the couple. I don't know if it made any difference to them but it definitely made us feel more comfortable.

My missus liked the extra knob, more knobs are better apparently. :jawdrop:

Last edited:
Maybe he has some sort of Fujiesque JPEG profile set up to get oversaturated purple skies.

So he writes a whole article on the importance of backing up your images which, if your a professional photographer getting paid to produce I completely agree with, and then tells you his back up is a JPEG!! If it’s that important surely RAW back ups are a must.

Not really, Shooting raw to one card and jpeg to the other is probably the sensible option for a professional photographer.

This allows the buffer to run much faster and is especially a good idea for those using the higher resolution cameras like the A7RIII etc.

It allows for speed and a usable back up if something goes wrong. People get quite worked up about raw versus jpeg but the truth is that 99% of the item that the jpeg will be perfectly fine. Some would even say if there is an issue with the jpeg straight out of camera then you probably shouldn't be offering professional services if you are having to rely on the additional flexibility that raw files offer.

Personally I shoot raw to both most of the time but if I am using a higher res camera like my D850 then I usually shoot raw to one card and jpeg to the other.

Also with Fuji the jpegs are very nice, it's a bit of work to get the raws to look as good.

Last edited:
Some would even say if there is an issue with the jpeg straight out of camera then you probably shouldn't be offering professional services if you are having to rely on the additional flexibility that raw files offer.

Unless of course you're using the capabilities that the camera offers in raw, such as deliberately exposing to the right etc.

Unless of course you're using the capabilities that the camera offers in raw, such as deliberately exposing to the right etc.

Yeah but the jpeg is just a back up, as with anything you have to way up the advantages vs disadvantages and decide what suits you best. The possibility of losing maybe a few files has to be weighed up against the extra speed that raw/jpeg provides over and above shooting raw/raw.

Yeah but the jpeg is just a back up, as with anything you have to way up the advantages vs disadvantages and decide what suits you best. The possibility of losing maybe a few files has to be weighed up against the extra speed that raw/jpeg provides over and above shooting raw/raw.

Oh I agree, just pointing out that there may be reasons other than peeps who shouldn't be offering professional services relying on the flexibility raw offers to recover cock ups. There may be a deliberate and reasonable reasons for needing that flexibility. Highlights, shadows and WB spring to mind.

Back