The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not happy with the colours today, or the images in general really. Don't seem to have the pop that the D750 gave.

What software are you using to process your pictures?
LR kills Sony RAW files by default.

What software are you using to process your pictures?
LR kills Sony RAW files by default.

I'm using LR and have no idea what you're talking about! Tweaked my nikon preset a bit and all was good. Now, changing from a d3s to a D4, that was a nightmare.

Even with editing for what I shoot my D750 pics just had more pop. My subjects also prefer the look that the Nikon produced.

But I am in a testing phase!

I'm using LR and have no idea what you're talking about! Tweaked my nikon preset a bit and all was good. Now, changing from a d3s to a D4, that was a nightmare.

right so you are not using the defaults. You are using a profile. By default the results are a bit flat.

The D3 had amazing rendering and tones lad. Yeah there was a fair difference in the following gen Nikons.

Was quite far away from arena today so these are quite cropped. Good to try the AF system with movement coming towards the camera from a distance though. Not happy with the colours today, or the images in general really. Don't seem to have the pop that the D750 gave.

Bliss Jump 1 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Bliss Jump 2 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Mmm odd one. I was actually surprised how similar the files where once I had run them through my normal process. Maybe using the same lens I was using mostly on the D750 helped.

Got the Sony 85mm F/1.8 and Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 coming tomorrow and Tuesday hopefully. :) Still a few things to buy, new bag and strap, new tripod, filters and ordered a new NAS system to store the files away from my main computer. :)

Got the Sony 85mm F/1.8 and Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 coming tomorrow and Tuesday hopefully. :) Still a few things to buy, new bag and strap, new tripod, filters and ordered a new NAS system to store the files away from my main computer. :)
I basically have the same setup. :)

I also have a samyang 24mm f2.8 for a small light weight setup.

I basically have the same setup. :)

I also have a samyang 24mm f2.8 for a small light weight setup.
It's a perfectly good setup for someone just moving to FF mirrorless :) how do you rate the sharpness of the 24mm? I'm looking for a sharp landscape lens to take to Wales with me next month. :)

It's a perfectly good setup for someone just moving to FF mirrorless :) how do you rate the sharpness of the 24mm? I'm looking for a sharp landscape lens to take to Wales with me next month. :)

Sharpness wise its usable at f2.8 (goes by your standards really). If you are hoping for a tack sharp lens wide open then this lens is definitely not for you. But stopped down even one stop it's sharp across the frame so it'll work nicely for landscapes.

This is no GM or sigma ART but for the size, price and weight it definitely hits very high and definitely above it's weight.

P.s. I'll eventually put mine up for sale. Let me know if you are interested. I am not in a hurry to sell though since I am only selling to replace it with newly announced Sony 24mmGM which I won't get my hands for a while.

Last edited:
I think I know why I ran in to some issues today. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Had camera set at 8fps in AFC but couple of times it seemed a bit sluggish and even mis focused a couple of times.

Think the issue was that I had it recording jpeg and raw to same card (I’m guessing you can change this) and I don’t yet have a high speed card due to £££.

Does this set up sound like it could have caused the issues?

I think I know why I ran in to some issues today. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Had camera set at 8fps in AFC but couple of times it seemed a bit sluggish and even mis focused a couple of times.

Think the issue was that I had it recording jpeg and raw to same card (I’m guessing you can change this) and I don’t yet have a high speed card due to £££.

Does this set up sound like it could have caused the issues?

:D

Mmm yeah don’t do that.

Sharpness wise its usable at f2.8 (goes by your standards really). If you are hoping for a tack sharp lens wide open then this lens is definitely not for you. But stopped down even one stop it's sharp across the frame so it'll work nicely for landscapes.

This is no GM or sigma ART but for the size, price and weight it definitely hits very high and definitely above it's weight.

P.s. I'll eventually put mine up for sale. Let me know if you are interested. I am not in a hurry to sell though since I am only selling to replace it with newly announced Sony 24mmGM which I won't get my hands for a while.
What's the 24mm GM going to cost you? It's £1400 isn't it? What would you recommend for pin sharp landscapes for around the £600 mark? Or is it worth going for the 24mm GM? As i'll be printing some on a canvas. :)

right so you are not using the defaults. You are using a profile. By default the results are a bit flat.

Not sure I follow. What do you mean by default? Like unedited?!

Different cameras have different traits that are You can fix with a bit of tweaking. For instance, I had to play with the blacks more with the d750. The Sony a7iii needs more whites tweaking than the d750 though.

I had to work way harder with the d4 and d800 to get tones I liked at the start. And by the time I sold the xt2 I was still only half happy with my editing.

Just tried using the Canon flashes no the Sony. Anyone tried this?

Using a Canon 600EX-RT as the trigger, it won't get the slave to fire, also I can't seem to turn off the flash on the camera either even with the mode is selected.

Using a Yongnuo I can get the slave to fire but I can't change the power of the slave.

Obviously ETTL won't work but it seems using the Canon in manual is also a bust, if I can't change the settings remotely then that's not going to work.

:D

Mmm yeah don’t do that.

I thought went I set raw and jpeg it would default to recording to both cards so user error! Only realised when home it was all on one card and it’s only a fast SD, not the UHS2 ones so guessing this explains some of my performance issues yesterday!

Just tried using the Canon flashes no the Sony. Anyone tried this?

Using a Canon 600EX-RT as the trigger, it won't get the slave to fire, also I can't seem to turn off the flash on the camera either even with the mode is selected.

Using a Yongnuo I can get the slave to fire but I can't change the power of the slave.

Obviously ETTL won't work but it seems using the Canon in manual is also a bust, if I can't change the settings remotely then that's not going to work.

Best lights I have bought from when I started are the Godox ones. The wee TT350 for on camera and 2 AD200s for off camera. Just ordered the AD600pro aswell. Great thing is those 3 will work great on any system if I ever changed. The xpro trigger is so easy to use too!

What's the 24mm GM going to cost you? It's £1400 isn't it? What would you recommend for pin sharp landscapes for around the £600 mark? Or is it worth going for the 24mm GM? As i'll be printing some on a canvas. :)

Yeah it's pretty expensive but I am buying it for the f1.4 rather than sharpness for landscapes.

So do you need a fast lens? If you are mainly going to shoot landscape stopped down pretty much any recent lens will do. The 16-35mm f4 is probably the most versatile one. You can get a used one for around £700.

The samyang 24mm and the sigma 24mm f1.4 are both great lenses for landscapes. Of course with sigma you will have to put up with the extra size and weight.

Of course if you are willing to spend more there are also options from Zeiss.

Not sure I follow. What do you mean by default? Like unedited?!

Different cameras have different traits that are You can fix with a bit of tweaking. For instance, I had to play with the blacks more with the d750. The Sony a7iii needs more whites tweaking than the d750 though.

I had to work way harder with the d4 and d800 to get tones I liked at the start. And by the time I sold the xt2 I was still only half happy with my editing.

yes unedited. I found sony RAWs to be particularly bad by default compared to other RAWs.
If you import the same RAW into CP one or even sony's own crapping processing software you will see the look much better by default (i.e. less tweaking needed).

p.s. I am not anti-LR, I use it myself.

Last edited:
yes unedited. I found sony RAWs to be particularly bad by default compared to other RAWs.
If you import the same RAW into CP one or even sony's own crapping processing software you will see the look much better by default (i.e. less tweaking needed).

p.s. I am not anti-LR, I use it myself.

My pics from yesterday seemed come out a bit better than Saturday. Although I need to change a few settings as missed a few shots thanks to user error!!!

My pics from yesterday seemed come out a bit better than Saturday. Although I need to change a few settings as missed a few shots thanks to user error!!!

I suggest processing a shot or two in CP one (there is a free version for sony RAWs) just to see what you can really get.
If you like those (and I suspect you will at least better than LR) then you can mess about in LR trying to get a similar/better results and setting presets etc.

If its a processing issue, it might take a bit of work but you will eventually nail it down. If is a more fundamental Sony is just crap at rendering issue then not much you can do to fix that.

Best lights I have bought from when I started are the Godox ones. The wee TT350 for on camera and 2 AD200s for off camera. Just ordered the AD600pro aswell. Great thing is those 3 will work great on any system if I ever changed. The xpro trigger is so easy to use too!

I looked at the 350 but that is £130, the 860II is only £30 more.

However with the potential round head due to release this December, I want to wait and get those instead. I know they all work together so I guess if I get any of the existing flashes now I can just blend them in.

Sucks that I can't even control the canon manually.

I looked at the 350 but that is £130, the 860II is only £30 more.

However with the potential round head due to release this December, I want to wait and get those instead. I know they all work together so I guess if I get any of the existing flashes now I can just blend them in.

Sucks that I can't even control the canon manually.

Dude, get the AD200 and round flash head for it. The AD200 is the power of 3 speedlights. Bang for the buck theyre amazing. You can get it on Toby Deals for £212 or £269 gets you it with aload of accessories off eBay.

Dude, get the AD200 and round flash head for it. The AD200 is the power of 3 speedlights. Bang for the buck theyre amazing. You can get it on Toby Deals for £212 or £269 gets you it with aload of accessories off eBay.

Hmmmm, I thought the AD200 is too big but looking at it more, it's hardly that much bigger....

I am building the flash system for the Sony from scratch so want to get it right first time round.

Tried the 35mm Sony 2.8. Its even smaller in the flesh than it looks in the pics.

Its one hell of a tight fit on the mount though!

Hmmmm, I thought the AD200 is too big but looking at it more, it's hardly that much bigger....

I am building the flash system for the Sony from scratch so want to get it right first time round.

I really like it. Ordered 2 of the round heads there. It comes with the bare bulb and fresnel flash head too with it. Loads of wee modifiers too at a very reasonable price available

I just use a large softbox and large beauty dish between the 2 of them. Can't wait to get the AD600 pro

I really like it. Ordered 2 of the round heads there. It comes with the bare bulb and fresnel flash head too with it. Loads of wee modifiers too at a very reasonable price available

I just use a large softbox and large beauty dish between the 2 of them. Can't wait to get the AD600 pro

I have a Profoto 90cm Octobox, will need a new bracket I think?

For now I am not worried about that, what I want it for in the immediate future is I have a trip to Hong Kong with a friend, we are doing a few impromptu shoots which I would like 1 off camera flash for. I am also a guest at the wedding so I guess a flash isn't necessary as I am not being paid, I can do that with ISO 12800 if I want but I guess if I had the V860II I could use it as a off camera flash.

With the AD200, in the future I can have it on a light stand for weddings on the dance floor, I would still need 1 on camera flash though as fill...which I think the new Profoto B1 clone might be better. I dunno, may be the V860ii is better for that with the pop up flash card.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-Stro...&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=Godox+AD200+sony&psc=1

Will that work if I get the XPro Sony trigger?

I guess the flash itself is universal across all systems, it can talk to any triggers from all systems? So in theory if I get a canon mount Xpro trigger I can use it too.

Yeah that will work across any system pal. You can get the same package from eBay for £269

Really? Could you link me because the same thing on eBay is showing up the same price for me.

I am not after the kit with the old trigger which a lot of them seems to come with.

Back