The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Really? You didn't know about these? They are friggin fantastic!

I have 2 x AD200 and an AD600. Very flexible lighting system and you can pretty much get triggers for every camera system.

I never looked into it because I bought 4 Canon EX-RT a few years ago and they do everything I needed to do for jobs. I bought an Elinchrom last year for a job for something that needs more power so never really in the market for something like this.

Normally I'd like to stick to native flashes but the Sony being silly expensive and also doesn't seem like good value for money hence looking elsewhere.

Really? You didn't know about these? They are friggin fantastic!

I have 2 x AD200 and an AD600. Very flexible lighting system and you can pretty much get triggers for every camera system.

Tommy I just got the AD600pro. £525, do you use yours much? I'm afraid it's maybe too powerful for my needs lol

I never looked into it because I bought 4 Canon EX-RT a few years ago and they do everything I needed to do for jobs. I bought an Elinchrom last year for a job for something that needs more power so never really in the market for something like this.

Normally I'd like to stick to native flashes but the Sony being silly expensive and also doesn't seem like good value for money hence looking elsewhere.

I am a big fan of the Godox stuff switched everything over to them just after Christmas.

Tommy I just got the AD600pro. £525, do you use yours much? I'm afraid it's maybe too powerful for my needs lol

Yeah I use mine all the time, was using it this morning for some headshots. I debated getting another one but I have a set of Bowens lights and the AD200's as well so didn't bother.

For weddings though I only bring the 2 x AD200's. I have the adaptor thing for using them both together in case I needed something more powerful but can't remember ever needing to use it. Most weddings we don't use them at all but handy to have for when it's p***ing it down and we need to work indoors. I used them a couple of times for the first dance but found it a pain to carry, set them up and having to worry about some drunk idiot knocking them over so don't bother any more. Most of the time they live in the car.

Last edited:
Yeah it's pretty expensive but I am buying it for the f1.4 rather than sharpness for landscapes.

So do you need a fast lens? If you are mainly going to shoot landscape stopped down pretty much any recent lens will do. The 16-35mm f4 is probably the most versatile one. You can get a used one for around £700.

The samyang 24mm and the sigma 24mm f1.4 are both great lenses for landscapes. Of course with sigma you will have to put up with the extra size and weight.

Of course if you are willing to spend more there are also options from Zeiss.
I don't need a fast lens but that won't stop me buying one because who doesn't like spending money on new toys? :)

The Sony FE 85MM F/1.8 and Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 arrived this morning. Not sure I'm going to keep the 85mm yet, I may return it and get something else instead. :)

X5R66Hgh.jpg

fgATv8sh.jpg

I don't need a fast lens but that won't stop me buying one because who doesn't like spending money on new toys? :)

The Sony FE 85MM F/1.8 and Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 arrived this morning. Not sure I'm going to keep the 85mm yet, I may return it and get something else instead. :)

I got a 85mm f1.8 recently and I've been very impressed with the image quality across the frame, the bokeh is another thing and is subjective.

I do think that this lens is better than the old Sigma non Art 85mm f1.4 I had and used on my 20D and 5D. Back then I couldn't imagine wanting a better 85mm but these days, why not.

I got a 85mm f1.8 recently and I've been very impressed with the image quality across the frame, the bokeh is another thing and is subjective.

I do think that this lens is better than the old Sigma non Art 85mm f1.4 I had and used on my 20D and 5D. Back then I couldn't imagine wanting a better 85mm but these days, why not.

I am digging my 85 1.8 as well. Little lens has surprised me. It's actually rather good and so light weight.

Still getting the 85 1.4 though

Shame there is no 35mm 1.8 to go with the 85mm 1.8, esepcially as its a popular combo.

I did have the 28/50 combo on my D750 but from what I have read the 50mm 1.8 has very slow AF which is a shame as the 28mm looks good!

Although it doesn’t seem too slow here?

View: https://youtu.be/PoxYfqkHhIE

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the Godox stuff switched everything over to them just after Christmas.

Yeah I use mine all the time, was using it this morning for some headshots. I debated getting another one but I have a set of Bowens lights and the AD200's as well so didn't bother.

For weddings though I only bring the 2 x AD200's. I have the adaptor thing for using them both together in case I needed something more powerful but can't remember ever needing to use it. Most weddings we don't use them at all but handy to have for when it's p***ing it down and we need to work indoors. I used them a couple of times for the first dance but found it a pain to carry, set them up and having to worry about some drunk idiot knocking them over so don't bother any more. Most of the time they live in the car.

I'm the same haha. Or get Vikki to monopod an AD200 alot. If the videographers have good lights you're usually grand

X5R66Hgh.jpg

fgATv8sh.jpg

The Tamron is an absolute belter. I bought it as a video only lens but have actually used it for stills at some point at most weddings

Shame there is no 35mm 1.8 to go with the 85mm 1.8, esepcially as its a popular combo.

I did have the 28/50 combo on my D750 but from what I have read the 50mm 1.8 has very slow AF which is a shame as the 28mm looks good!

Although it doesn’t seem too slow here?

View: https://youtu.be/PoxYfqkHhIE

Love the 28 but it’ll get swapped to a 35 Sony sooner or later

The Tamron is an absolute belter. I bought it as a video only lens but have actually used it for stills at some point at most weddings
I've been out already and got some quick shots to test out, nothing amazing but I still need to get to grips with the Sony menu system after using a Canon. :)

When transferring files from the camera, do you use the USB-C connection or a card reader?

Want some nice small primes really so any of the 1.4's are a no go for me!

The 28 is nice, the distortion is pretty crazy but an easy fix in LR. It’s certainly night and light. I’ll swap for a 35 1.4 when I switch to Sony for wedding work.

Although I may go for a 35 1.8 if the price was right to keep lightweight.

The 28 is nice, the distortion is pretty crazy but an easy fix in LR. It’s certainly night and light. I’ll swap for a 35 1.4 when I switch to Sony for wedding work.

Although I may go for a 35 1.8 if the price was right to keep lightweight.

35 1.8 would be nice - hopefully!

I've been out already and got some quick shots to test out, nothing amazing but I still need to get to grips with the Sony menu system after using a Canon. :)

When transferring files from the camera, do you use the USB-C connection or a card reader?

Always been a card reader person.

I find cameras have a really slow transfer rate in general.

Card reader pal !

yes unedited. I found sony RAWs to be particularly bad by default compared to other RAWs.
If you import the same RAW into CP one or even sony's own crapping processing software you will see the look much better by default (i.e. less tweaking needed).

p.s. I am not anti-LR, I use it myself.

Why would the look of the unedited RAW matter? I could see the problem if it was JPEGs but RAW photos are meant to be processed and tweaked.

Went to legoland and took the A7III along for the first proper play with it.

Shooting through the LCD rather than the viewfinder feels very freeing, and the AF is insane.

Very happy with my switch :)

.ADP00181.jpg ADP00303.jpg ADP00359.jpg ADP00362.jpg ADP00375.jpg

Went to legoland and took the A7III along for the first proper play with it.

Shooting through the LCD rather than the viewfinder feels very freeing, and the AF is insane.

Very happy with my switch :)

.View attachment 135651 View attachment 135652 View attachment 135653 View attachment 135654 View attachment 135655

Using the LCD is such a good thing, here's a little blog post from our recent trip to Disneyland Paris. A7 28mm f2 and 85 1.8. Was surprised the AF-C kept up with some of the performers on the parade.

Link may help!

https://tjgphotography.co.uk/disneyland-paris-2018/

Last edited:
Back