The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm wanting to part exchange an almost new lens so I've asked for quotations from 3 companies, the spread is astonishing.
Park Cameras £480
Clifton Cameras £600
Wex £690
I'm going to take it into my branch of Jessops where I buy almost all my gear, be interesting to see what they offer.

I got to try both the 3 and r3 in shop today and I thought the EVF on the r3 was significantly better than on the 3. Made a really big difference.

I wasn’t previously considering the r3 due to additional cost, but now seriously thinking about it. Has anyone else directly compared the two - what is the consensus, worth the upgrade?

I'm wanting to part exchange an almost new lens so I've asked for quotations from 3 companies, the spread is astonishing.
Park Cameras £480
Clifton Cameras £600
Wex £690
I'm going to take it into my branch of Jessops where I buy almost all my gear, be interesting to see what they offer.
Which lens?

I got to try both the 3 and r3 in shop today and I thought the EVF on the r3 was significantly better than on the 3. Made a really big difference.

I wasn’t previously considering the r3 due to additional cost, but now seriously thinking about it. Has anyone else directly compared the two - what is the consensus, worth the upgrade?
I haven't compared the two but previously I used the A7RII which has the same EVF as A7III. I never had any issues with it TBH. I now have A7RIII and it is nicer but I could get equally good pictures with the other EVF.

Park Cameras £480
Clifton Cameras £600
Wex £690
Have you tried MPB, they are usually quite competitive and pay what they say.

Large format (4x5), but can use any back so can shoot anything from 35mm to 4x5. I'm currently working on a wet/dry plate holder, along with Instax Wide and panoramic medium format backs.

Do you have a website for this?

Park Cameras £480
Clifton Cameras £600
Wex £690

WEX seems to offer the best prices at the moment, they have offered me a very good price on my Nikon 85mm f/1.4G, but they are a little more expensive for the lens I want to purchase so no real advantage for me.

Depends really, do you put a better EVF ahead of a better AF system and a big saving?

I'm looking to buy the Sigma Art 135 1.8, their price is the same as the others except for Jessops who often haven't got a clue but fortunately will price match.

Toby deals have those at good money. About £850 from memory but obviously won’t be able to trade in.

Efinity have them for under £900 as well.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Toby deals have those at good money. About £850 from memory but obviously won’t be able to trade in.

Efinity have them for under £900 as well.
They are very good prices indeed but they appear to be grey market suppliers and I'm not so keen on them as I used to be. I bought a Sony FE 1.4x teleconverter from a Hong Kong supplier as they were literally the only place in the world that had them in stock.
The price was about £485 and the ticket on the front of the delivery packet stated the value was £28. I'm not criticizing in any way people who would trade with a grey market supplier, I have many times over the years, but I'm happier going to a "shop" nowadays.
Thanks for the heads up though(y)

They are very good prices indeed but they appear to be grey market suppliers and I'm not so keen on them as I used to be. I bought a Sony FE 1.4x teleconverter from a Hong Kong supplier as they were literally the only place in the world that had them in stock.
The price was about £485 and the ticket on the front of the delivery packet stated the value was £28. I'm not criticizing in any way people who would trade with a grey market supplier, I have many times over the years, but I'm happier going to a "shop" nowadays.
Thanks for the heads up though(y)

ah £485 and £28, an easy mistake to make for anyone :D

Took some close up shots with the Tamron 28-75, it is razor sharp, nothing amazing as they were just pictures from around my house. :)

How significant is the autofocus difference between the 2?

The A7 III inherits the autofocus system of the Sony A9. Although it doesn’t share the same calculation speed as the flagship model, it retains the same number of phase detection points (693) while increasing the contrast detection points to 425. The A7R III shares the same number of contrast detection points but has fewer phase detection points (399).

Another aspect to consider is that the phase detection points on the A7 III cover 93% of the sensor, versus 68% on the A7R III which means the A7 III can be more accurate when tracking a subject at the edge of the frame.

A7 III: 693 phase detection points

A7R III: 399 phase detection points

A7 III / A7R III: 425 contrast detection points

credit to mirrorlesscomparison

Last edited:
Dynamic range of z7 out...

http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon Z 7,Sony ILCE-7M3,Sony ILCE-7RM3

Not looking so good for Z7....
I always thought Sony couldn't squeeze as much as Nikon out of their sensors which seemed odd to me but it seems they were doing as well as they could with PDAF points in the sensor which Nikon DSLRs don't have to deal with.

Not bad for a revamped 4 year old sensor in case of A7RIII ;)

Dynamic range of z7 out...

http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon Z 7,Sony ILCE-7M3,Sony ILCE-7RM3

Not looking so good for Z7....
I always thought Sony couldn't squeeze as much as Nikon out of their sensors which seemed odd to me but it seems they were doing as well as they could with PDAF points in the sensor which Nikon DSLRs don't have to deal with.

Not bad for a revamped 4 year old sensor in case of A7RIII ;)

Look at that A7iii though! Sony said a couple years back they were keeping their best sensors to themselves from then on.

Look at that A7iii though! Sony said a couple years back they were keeping their best sensors to themselves from then on.
To be fair A7III is the latest FF sensor on market right now. So no surprise it's class leading.

We don't know what Z6 has but it's not on market yet. The other canikon mirroless seem have reused their DSLR sensors.

The A7 III inherits the autofocus system of the Sony A9. Although it doesn’t share the same calculation speed as the flagship model, it retains the same number of phase detection points (693) while increasing the contrast detection points to 425. The A7R III shares the same number of contrast detection points but has fewer phase detection points (399).

good post, also annoying that there is such a big advantage to the lower model. What does this likely translate to for real world? I’m not a big sports photographer, typically travel, family and landscapes. Does the a7r still have decent eye autofocus?

Last edited:

The improve in AF works for everything that moves, not just sports. Like kids running, like quick snap in street photography.

Think of it like this.

If you value mega pixels, like if you PRINT and if you take lots of photos with tripods or things like food or things that stands around. A7R3.

If you don't print that much, or print Large, get the A73.

The EVF and high res is nice, but ultimately is not what affect the final result, unless this is something you value a lot.

Was taking some pics of the misses on her horse this evening in near dark conditions. No idea how they have come out.

Look a bit soft on the screen but did have to drop to 1/250 and 10,000 iso as the light went!!

The improve in AF works for everything that moves, not just sports. Like kids running, like quick snap in street photography.

Think of it like this.

If you value mega pixels, like if you PRINT and if you take lots of photos with tripods or things like food or things that stands around. A7R3.

If you don't print that much, or print Large, get the A73.

The EVF and high res is nice, but ultimately is not what affect the final result, unless this is something you value a lot.

Annoyingly I'm down the middle with my requirements here! I do display pics on a large 4k TV and print as canvas', so the extra MP helps a lot. Likewise the better AF really appears, one of my pet hates is my number of throwaways due to missing the AF point!

The EVF - agreed not a deal breaker either way, but it is very noticeably better in the R. Argh - decisions decisions!

one for the wedding photograghers, how do you set up your focus settings on you a7iii and do you change it throughout the day? the discussion above about auto focus got me thinking with such a complex system what would be the best settings etc

Annoyingly I'm down the middle with my requirements here! I do display pics on a large 4k TV and print as canvas', so the extra MP helps a lot. Likewise the better AF really appears, one of my pet hates is my number of throwaways due to missing the AF point!

The EVF - agreed not a deal breaker either way, but it is very noticeably better in the R. Argh - decisions decisions!

A 4K tv is only displaying around 8.5 megapixels and printing on canvas is much less critical. I’m looking at a 3x2’ canvas on my wall here that was shot on my old Panasonic GF1 so an A7iii would be more than enough for either situation.

The cropability of the A7Riii is an advantage if you want to shoot more telephoto without a longer lens, or to change composition etc, but I wouldn’t buy one specifically for displaying on a tv/canvas.

A 4K tv is only displaying around 8.5 megapixels and printing on canvas is much less critical. I’m looking at a 3x2’ canvas on my wall here that was shot on my old Panasonic GF1 so an A7iii would be more than enough for either situation.

The cropability of the A7Riii is an advantage if you want to shoot more telephoto without a longer lens, or to change composition etc, but I wouldn’t buy one specifically for displaying on a tv/canvas.

Yes has just been reading up on its crop mode, sounds very useful and still at 18.

See your point re canvas & TV, I've currently got pics on both that have been shot with 22mb and they're all fine.

Price is really not a differentiator for me as the grey price for the R is only a few hundred quid more. With that out of the picture I'm still leaning towards the R right now!

Yes has just been reading up on its crop mode, sounds very useful and still at 18.

See your point re canvas & TV, I've currently got pics on both that have been shot with 22mb and they're all fine.

Price is really not a differentiator for me as the grey price for the R is only a few hundred quid more. With that out of the picture I'm still leaning towards the R right now!

The a7iii will also shoot in crop at 10mp which is still enough to view plus then some at 4k and print pretty huge.

Last edited:
Continuous, smallest focal point. Move with Joytick. Unless I can use eye-Af which is configured to a button.

First dance I’ll switch to zone.

How does the zone cope with grabbing faces etc rather then the closest arm?

Same, ael as eye af or fn on lens and I use af on. Joystick set to reset point when depressed.

Small focal point t as well? Do either of you bother with the small lock on setting?

Not sure what happened or if this is normal.

I was in AFC and shutter speed mode. Camera was set to small expandable spot.

I was taking few pics around the yard when one of the dogs came towards me. As I went to take some pics my little spot became a massive square and started to track the dogs face?! Is this to do with the dogs expandable spot? Or have I got some other setting active?!

Back