The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What sd cards are you guys using on your a9 and a7iii cameras?
In have A7RIII, I have two Fuji 32GB UHS-II cards and two adata 64GB cards.

I shoot RAW to UHS-II slot and jpg to UHS-I slot. So there is not much slow down.

Of course jpg isn't exactly replament for RAW but it's better than no photo.

Ah, I see know....so no point in spending on Sony G or fast cards then if shooting dual cards if you are shooting RAW to both.

Seems like a good compromise shooting RAW to one UHS-II card and fine Jpeg to a UHS-I. Yes the backup is not a Raw but a fine jpeg is usable enough for most situations.

Ah, I see know....so no point in spending on Sony G or fast cards then if shooting dual cards if you are shooting RAW to both.

Seems like a good compromise shooting RAW to one UHS-II card and fine Jpeg to a UHS-I. Yes the backup is not a Raw but a fine jpeg is usable enough for most situations.

That's right, if you shoot dual RAW then use UHS-I cards, if RAW+JPEG then a UHS-II and UHS-I combo for best results.

It'll be fine for instagram food photos :p
Well there are professionals who shoot in time sensitive areas do this because they need to get the photos to clients ASAP or else they lose since someone else will have delivered them, then it's old news. They simply hand over the SD card full of JPGs.

Of course for shooting weddings like you do I'd want dual RAWs.

It's there anyone apart from Fuji who do dual UHSII?

That's right, if you shoot dual RAW then use UHS-I cards, if RAW+JPEG then a UHS-II and UHS-I combo for best results.

I thought (from earlier threads on the subject), that the dual card slowdown was in part due to the cameras writing first to one card, then to the second?
In which case, although a UHS-II + UHS-I combo will be slower than just the UHS-II in single card mode, it should still be faster than dual UHS-I cards, as the write to the first card will be quicker.

It will also be faster to load the images from the primary card using a suitable card reader if it's the higher spec.

Last edited:
I thought (from earlier threads on the subject), that the dual card slowdown was in part due to the cameras writing first to one card, then to the second?
In which case, although a UHS-II + UHS-I combo will be slower than just the UHS-II in single card mode, it should still be faster than dual UHS-I cards, as the write to the first card will be quicker.

It will also be faster to load the images from the primary card using a suitable card reader if it's the higher spec.

I know in the Canon it takes longer to write Raw + Jpeg than Raw into both.

I know in the Canon it takes longer to write Raw + Jpeg than Raw into both.

That's quite possible, as you have to add in the processing time for the camera to generate the full sized jpeg (applying all camera settings) - of course, the jpeg is also smaller than the raw, so you save some time writing the image...

@T_J_G They can keep it. The cost is way to close to Sony gen 3 setup.

From what I've seen, and I've watched many videos on the T3 at this stage, it is really only the quicker AF, tracking and the video features that better the T2. In fact, the last few reviews I watched show that the T2 is actually slightly better performing at higher ISO, above 3200. There's always a trade off, the T3 will lock focus quicker in low light. The XT2 is seriously tempting now at current used prices. With the latest FW updates it's a much better camera than when it was released

Eye AF - people rave about this but how does it actually work?

To explain myself; lets say you have a group of five people stood together - how does the camera know which persons eyes to focus on?

It will either pick the one that is the clearest.

Or you can register a face and it will pick that face out of the crowd, you can register multiple faces and rank them in order so if it cannot find face 1, it will find face 2 and so on.

You can register different faces, set priorities.

Thanks for the reply although I don't really understand the 'register different faces' - probably search youtube if anyone knows a video showing it in operation?

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply although I don't really understand the 'register different faces' - probably search youtube if anyone knows a video showing it in operation?

Cheers.

There is a option to "register" a face, you take a photo of say the bride, it will analyse the facial features, distance between eye to mouth etc and use that to calculate and compare to all others in a scene. Of course it can be fooled but in reality it is eerily accurate, like voodoo.

From fisheye to 600mm FF equivalent.

So to change completely would be prohibitive.
Well the UWA/fisheye end is easier/cheaper to cater for than the telephoto end. Depends on how much you are willing to spend on the telephoto end. There are some nice cheap consumer telezooms available in m43 unlike in e-mount

Well the UWA/fisheye end is easier/cheaper to cater for than the telephoto end. Depends on how much you are willing to spend on the telephoto end. There are some nice cheap consumer telezooms available in m43 unlike in e-mount

To be honest I only bought the 75-300 (150-600 EFL) as it was £200 on the classifieds.

I don't really need that range I've only ever used it for compressing landscapes and in the studio (makes a surprisingly sharp portrait lens if you have the room)

Been looking at the A73 and A7R3 and really want one.

But I know it's just GAS and boredom and wanting to try something new and different.

During the past 5 years I've had a Nikon D7000, D700, Fuji X100, XT1, XT2, Nikon D750, Canon 6D and now the Olympus M5MK2.
All were great cameras (apart from the Fuji X-Trans bodies - Bloody worms and waxy skin).

Apart from not having eye AF and looking a complete dick ,I’m quite enjoying taking pictures with my iPad so might not go for the A7iii after all :D

To be honest I only bought the 75-300 (150-600 EFL) as it was £200 on the classifieds.

I don't really need that range I've only ever used it for compressing landscapes and in the studio (makes a surprisingly sharp portrait lens if you have the room)

Been looking at the A73 and A7R3 and really want one.

But I know it's just GAS and boredom and wanting to try something new and different.

During the past 5 years I've had a Nikon D7000, D700, Fuji X100, XT1, XT2, Nikon D750, Canon 6D and now the Olympus M5MK2.
All were great cameras (apart from the Fuji X-Trans bodies - Bloody worms and waxy skin).

Well I previously used an adapted canon 100-300mm (I got for £10 :D ) on my A7RIII for the odd times I needed extra range. In crop mode I got a decent 450mm FoV.

If you don't really need the it Tele end all that much you might be able make up a reasonably priced setup with Sony. But the body will cost you lot more then e-m5ii :(

Well if you are retired and you don't have any rent/mortgages and mouths to feed apart from your own and may be one other person what will you do with the money :D
You have probably worked hard all these years time enjoy the your retirement :D

Also not a big fan of xtrans

Last edited:
[QUOTE="GreenNinja67, post: 8278733, member: 54831]
All were great cameras (apart from the Fuji X-Trans bodies - Bloody worms and waxy skin).[/QUOTE]

:eek::rolleyes:

Back