The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Even if I was still just a dslr canon shooter I would not bother for my needs as its a downgrade for me and instead would have looked at other systems to see what they have.

Be open minded

I found the opposite and I had 5x d750 :confused:

I always shot at -0.7 exposure compensation with the D750, did the same at a wedding with the A73 and loads of shots are really dark SOOC.

Doesn't help that it was a sunny day so I had to have the monitor on bright

I always shot at -0.7 exposure compensation with the D750, did the same at a wedding with the A73 and loads of shots are really dark SOOC.

I always had to +EV in post with the d750. It annoyed me a little.

I always had to +EV in post with the d750. It annoyed me a little.

I pretty much always felt I had to shoot the D750 in manual to avoid burning the highlights.

Not having the same issue with the A7III seems the metering is better.

I pretty much always felt I had to shoot the D750 in manual to avoid burning the highlights.

Not having the same issue with the A7III seems the metering is better.

Interesting, always felt the 750 was fine in that regard. Plenty of latitude too, if needed.

Anyone else find the A73 under exposes? (certainly more than the D750)

The D750 always overexposed and I also ran it at -.7EV by default, and then pulled the detail back.

With the Sony bodies you don't need to. The metering is way better anyway, and the files prefer to be exposed to the middle or slightly to the right and pull back the highlights. I run mine at 0.0EV. With the real-time metering in the EVF there's way more accuracy now. Just make sure you're watching the histogram in real-time rather than deriving what you think you're getting from the EVF (if that makes sense).

I couldn't resist any longer. Just wanted to be sure that I was happy with the A73 first. I have the 85G still to get rid of though.

You might want to keep that. I really regret selling my FE85 f/1.8.

It's an excellent lens and with it being so light weight it means I don't take an 85mm with me when I shoot stuff for myself as the 85GM is only lugged around for work.

5406244.P3.png

Just ordered a Swarovski T2 adaptor for my CTS 85 drawscope. Bit of fun as it will be a manual 800mm for snapping birdies (have used it previously on my old Nikon which made it a 1200mm!)

The D750 always overexposed and I also ran it at -.7EV by default, and then pulled the detail back.

With the Sony bodies you don't need to. The metering is way better anyway, and the files prefer to be exposed to the middle or slightly to the right and pull back the highlights. I run mine at 0.0EV. With the real-time metering in the EVF there's way more accuracy now. Just make sure you're watching the histogram in real-time rather than deriving what you think you're getting from the EVF (if that makes sense).

Same here, always default at -0.7 with the 750. I was faffing with the EVF brightness before I discovered the histogram, certainly works better.

You might want to keep that. I really regret selling my FE85 f/1.8.

It's an excellent lens and with it being so light weight it means I don't take an 85mm with me when I shoot stuff for myself as the 85GM is only lugged around for work.

Meant the Nikon 85G for sale.

Been out in the p***ing rain with the A73 and 70-200 today. Have the weather sealing a work out lol.

Few missed focused shots but probably user error!

Think I needed to change how quickly the camera changed focus. I was tracking but because the Sony is that good as I reached some of the jumps th camera focussed on the flag pole at the side of the jump!

I often ettr but with the later bodies is there really any need to?

Even my lowly A7 seems to be able to take a bit of exposure boost of fill light without suffering too much.

5406244.P3.png

Just ordered a Swarovski T2 adaptor for my CTS 85 drawscope. Bit of fun as it will be a manual 800mm for snapping birdies (have used it previously on my old Nikon which made it a 1200mm!)

Ooooooh goody goody! :D

I hope you post pictures as this is something that interests me from time to time. I've always wanted to take a nice moon shot but I'm too tight to buy a long lens so a scope could be something to think about.

Is it though or is it better to ditch the dying mount before prices plummet?
Whichever way you look at it, both the traditional Nikon and Canon mounts will eventually become like the Sony A-Mount.
That is probably not going to happen that quickly with either Canon or Nikon. Their mounts may be called 'dying' because they have new mounts, but there are still more DSLR's being sold than mirrorless cameras, and while both companies will start to develop more for their mirrorless mounts, they will not be walking away from a market that still wants products for their old mount cameras in a hurry. Imho ;) Their mounts will certainly not fade away as quickly as the A mount is doing because there are so many lenses and so many more users.
I don’t buy the “use your old lenses on the new body” approach as that’s just a short-term approach to saving some costs. Native lenses will always have advantages on many different fronts..... :)
No one is denying that with the benefits of the new mounts images should be better than an equivalent (if there is one) lens on their old mount, but not every can change systems every five minutes. Not everyone can buy a lens whenever they want. Some people struggle to buy a camera and a lens. If they can use lenses they may have in the short term then that can only be a good, especially if the lenses were to work as well as if they were mounted on a DSLR.

Plus there may not be native lenses available in the focal lengths someone may want, and even if they are they me not be at a price someone is willing to pay if there is a similar legacy lens available. There is currently a £1000 premium in the 50mm f1.2 RF lens over the 50mm f1.2 EF lens for example. :eek: Maybe that is one of the reasons a7 users have been using lenses from other manufacturers via adapters since the beginning added to the limited lens options available for new mounts. ;)
This where a lot of people are going wrong especially in the Canon thread, yes there might be no performance disadvantages (trade offs) of EF lenses when compared to how they perform on their existing DSLR bodies, however compare them with native RF lenses and It’ll be a different story.
If EF lenses were that good and couldn’t be improved on, Canon wouldn’t have invented a new RF mount.
The RF mount brings new advantages which can only be taken advantage of with newly designed native RF lenses.

People forget that they also need to add the adaptor which makes the lens longer in length too.

If you want the best possible setup, buy native RF mount.
The reason that both Canon and Nikon had to create new lens mounts was that their DSLR mounts lenses are designed for a DSLR (well 35mm film first obviously :rolleyes:). If they just took away the mirror there would be no size reduction and no potential to improve the performance of the lenses because the sensor would still need to be the same distance from the sensor. So to make cameras with a shorter flange distance they had to change their mounts. Canon chose to keep the same diameter of the EF mount, add more electronic contacts and change the bayonet connection while decreasing the flange distance. Nikon decided to massively increase the diameter of their mount as part of their change whilst also deceasing the flange distance. New mounts were inevitable when going mirrorless, both companies have decided to do things in slightly different ways, and objectively, both have the potential to be technically better than the current Sony mount in the future. Time will tell if they both take advantage of that.

And how come adapters are suddenly a big problem when it is on another brands cameras! :thinking:

Last edited:
The ones he already has up look pretty good to be honest. Surprised by the Sigma sports performance.
This has been my experience with this lens, after the firmware update the af with the bare lens was only slight but with the 1.4 I was amazed at how much better it was with the A73.

And how come adapters are suddenly a big problem when it is on another brands cameras! :thinking:

I don't think it's just seen as a Canikon issue as people have been saying that using adapted lenses is just a stop gap in this thread since the beginning, as far as I remember.

I don't think it's just seen as a Canikon issue as people have been saying that using adapted lenses is just a stop gap in this thread since the beginning, as far as I remember.
The point is it seemed to be an OK stop gap for Sony cameras/users to use other manufacturers lenses until a point in time that Sony brought out their own lenses in whatever focal length, but it is seen as a negative (by some people) when a manufacturer has the option to potentially, not only use an adapter for other lenses with different mounts (because of the nature of a short flange distance on a mirrorless camera) but have actually from the off, produced adapters which gives access, and potentially, full compatibility, with a lot of their own lenses, and lenses from third parties for the lenses from their previous mounts. I can see no way that is a negative. :thinking:

The point is it seemed to be an OK stop gap for Sony cameras/users to use other manufacturers lenses until a point in time that Sony brought out their own lenses in whatever focal length, but it is seen as a negative (by some people) when a manufacturer has the option to potentially, not only use an adapter for other lenses with different mounts (because of the nature of a short flange distance on a mirrorless camera) but have actually from the off, produced adapters which gives access, and potentially, full compatibility, with a lot of their own lenses, and lenses from third parties for the lenses from their previous mounts. I can see no way that is a negative. :thinking:

Already answered, as far as I know people haven't been using double standards, afaik they've always said that adapting lenses is a stop gap. I may be wrong but I think that's what people have been saying in this thread and others since the option of using them first came out.

I use adapters with my manual lenses but I see drawbacks - they add size and weight and expense and potential tolerance / movement issues. The obvious advantage is that they allow you to use lenses that you otherwise couldn't but even with these new systems I do think that they'll be a stop gap for many but some will no doubt be happy to use them forever.

Could the '-0.7 exposure compensation' possibly be the reason for the dark images! Before a wedding with a new camera I would have been testing to see if the camera reacts to different situations in a similar way, and not just exposure, but WB, focusing too.

When I got my new camera I didn't assume that it would react the same way in particular situations as my previous camera had with regards to metering, because I had hoped that they had improved the metering in the years between cameras, and indeed, the new camera does not expose in the same way as the previous camera. Not sure it is better, but it is different, so I have to recalibrate my brain :eek: to how the new camera does/'sees' things. And that was two cameras from the same manufacturer, nevermind two different manufacturers.

It's negetive because no one would buy there r mount 50 1.2 for example when the ef performs just as good

Two from today, A7 and 85mm, at f1.8 and f8. Shame I couldn't keep the sky in the mushroom picture but I couldn't.

1-DSC01920.jpg

1-DSC01926.jpg

One last one at f1.8. It was pouring down on the way home but the light looked lovely and there was a rainbow :D

DSC01951.jpg

Last edited:
Back