The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Could the '-0.7 exposure compensation' possibly be the reason for the dark images! Before a wedding with a new camera I would have been testing to see if the camera reacts to different situations in a similar way, and not just exposure, but WB, focusing too.

When I got my new camera I didn't assume that it would react the same way in particular situations as my previous camera had with regards to metering, because I had hoped that they had improved the metering in the years between cameras, and indeed, the new camera does not expose in the same way as the previous camera. Not sure it is better, but it is different, so I have to recalibrate my brain :eek: to how the new camera does/'sees' things. And that was two cameras from the same manufacturer, nevermind two different manufacturers.

The -0.7 is how I shot on the Nikon, not the Sony. But the Sony seems about the same as that, without any exposure compensation. WB doesn't matter it's just a meta tag, and it's impossible to test every lighting condition with a camera prior to an event as you just don't know what will come up.

Not a problem, just curious if others had seen the same as me. I've dialled in +0.3 base exposure to the Sony's now and liking what that's producing SOOC

It's negetive because no one would buy there r mount 50 1.2 for example when the ef performs just as good
Ah, I tend to look at things from a users point of view rather than the multi national companies pov when it comes to seeing positives and negatives. ;) :rolleyes:
Thought that new 50mm blows the old one out the water in every aspect.
I would hope that it would be for £1000 more.:eek: :confused: I don't remember users of the EF versions saying too many things bad about that lens, which is why it is not that much of a problem to be used via the adapter on the EOS R, in the short or long term, and may be a smaller and lighter, or a very similar combo even with an adapter.

I'm sure most, if not all of the lenses on the RF mount will be better than equivalent lenses on the EF mount. The possibility of optical improvements is supposedly a benefit of the shorter flange distance, and in Nikon's case, larger diameter mount. It will be interesting to see if Canon bring out smaller, lesser quality lenses, or stay at the higher end.

The -0.7 is how I shot on the Nikon, not the Sony. But the Sony seems about the same as that, without any exposure compensation. WB doesn't matter it's just a meta tag, and it's impossible to test every lighting condition with a camera prior to an event as you just don't know what will come up.

Not a problem, just curious if others had seen the same as me. I've dialled in +0.3 base exposure to the Sony's now and liking what that's producing SOOC
Sorry, I misunderstood as you using the same settings as the D750. You seem to be getting used to the new camera. :)

Ooooooh goody goody! :D

I hope you post pictures as this is something that interests me from time to time. I've always wanted to take a nice moon shot but I'm too tight to buy a long lens so a scope could be something to think about.

Shall do, though I'm not absolutely sure I've ordered the right adaptor. It looks right, in that it's deeper than the Nikon SLR T2 ring. Swarovskioptik service is ace so no worries. One day when I'm up in Durham you're welcome to try it; the extended drawscope with its two adaptors becomes an unwieldy f11 manual exposure/manual focus 800mm monster. At least with digital you can snap away to get the right exposure.

My new A7 III arrived today from Panamoz but UPS left it with my neighbour as I was at work. Said neighbour is not in, or they've ran away with my new toy :eek:

I'm going nuts curtain twitching awaiting their return.....

My new A7 III arrived today from Panamoz but UPS left it with my neighbour as I was at work. Said neighbour is not in, or they've ran away with my new toy :eek:

I'm going nuts curtain twitching awaiting their return.....

Nice one.

Unsolicited delivery law means they can keep it and there’s nothing legally you can do about it.

Probably best just to stick a brick through their window and grab it while they are out.

Nice one.

Unsolicited delivery law means they can keep it and there’s nothing legally you can do about it.

Probably best just to stick a brick through their window and grab it while they are out.

Haha, but legally I haven't received it yet.

Took a couple of videos but when I put SD card in to laptop I can’t find them?!

Is there a way of assigning the wheel to zoom in, in live view? In playback it would be handy without zooming first too?

Loving the focus modes. Already changing the way I shoot. Focus lock is a pretty cool feature when there’s no eyes around. Also wondering whether I need BBF with this camera.

Last edited:
Well there’s a turn up for the books, ended up picking up a “well used” RX1R up from MPB (it transpires that wine really seems to help decision making) at a good price and an electronic viewfinder from Amazon. Let’s see whether it will satisfy my itch or exacerbate it further...

Is there a way of assigning the wheel to zoom in, in live view? In playback it would be handy without zooming first too?

Loving the focus modes. Already changing the way I shoot. Focus lock is a pretty cool feature when there’s no eyes around. Also wondering whether I need BBF with this camera.

I still use BBF and am thinking the same. No need for it really. The A7III/A9 has been the first cameras in the last few years that I have been happy with. Having to AF micro adjust lenses was the biggest pain in the arse ever with Canon and their 1.2 lenses being the most frustrating/soft as absolute mush at wide apertures

I still use BBF and am thinking the same. No need for it really. The A7III/A9 has been the first cameras in the last few years that I have been happy with. Having to AF micro adjust lenses was the biggest pain in the arse ever with Canon and their 1.2 lenses being the most frustrating/soft as absolute mush at wide apertures

Completely agree, that was great in the week with two new lenses. Slap em on and that’s it.

The camera has done away with focus, recompose. Which was generally why I used BBF. Only noted the DMC focus setting this morning, which on paper seems handy on occasion. With 3 focus modes, potentially needing to change regularly, has got me thinking of having that on C1. At present I’ve got that set to zoom in crop mode, which I thought might be handy at times.

Anyone use on occasion one of the silicone covers? I’m sure they will destroy the whole experience but for occasions I’m running with it flying off the strap they’re inexpensive to give a go. I have noticed that the A7’s don’t seem to wear too well.

Completely agree, that was great in the week with two new lenses. Slap em on and that’s it.

The camera has done away with focus, recompose. Which was generally why I used BBF. Only noted the DMC focus setting this morning, which on paper seems handy on occasion. With 3 focus modes, potentially needing to change regularly, has got me thinking of having that on C1. At present I’ve got that set to zoom in crop mode, which I thought might be handy at times.

I think being able to compose with the main subjects face anywhere in the frame and just leave the focusing to eye or in my case face detect as I don't have eye is wonderful for fast natural shooting. I have tended to use DMC but now have aperture priority with wide area and face detect f2.8 on c1 and manual exposure with the same and 1/250 f2.8 on c2 for when the light is low and aperture or c1 would select too low a shutter speed and it seems to work for me. All I have to do is use the selector dial to go from aperture to manual or c1/c2 and set the aperture with no need to use the menu or a custom button.

Last edited:
I think being able to compose with the main subjects face anywhere in the frame and just leave the focusing to eye or in my case face detect as I don't have eye is wonderful for fast natural shooting. I have tended to use DMC but now have aperture priority with wide area and face detect f2.8 on c1 and manual exposure with the same and 1/250 f2.8 on c2 for when the light is low and aperture or c1 would select too low a shutter speed and it seems to work for me. All I have to do is use the selector dial to go from aperture to manual or c1/c2 and set the aperture with no need to use the menu or a custom button.

Do you not set a minimum shutter speed in auto iso? I’ve kept with 1/250th as per always. But I’ve added that option on my quick menu to be able to reduce quickly if the need arises. But for people, 1/250 is perfect. One crit is that the shutter increments are full stops instead of the thirds which is a bit poor but hey ho.

I don't know if my A7 can do that... I just use aperture until the light level causes the camera to select too low a shutter speed then I switch to manual with appropriate shutter and aperture settings. Always with auto ISO.

I don't know if my A7 can do that... I just use aperture until the light level causes the camera to select too low a shutter speed then I switch to manual with appropriate shutter and aperture settings. Always with auto ISO.

If it can, it’s one less thing to be thinking about, especially when things are happening quickly.

Do you not set a minimum shutter speed in auto iso? I’ve kept with 1/250th as per always. But I’ve added that option on my quick menu to be able to reduce quickly if the need arises. But for people, 1/250 is perfect. One crit is that the shutter increments are full stops instead of the thirds which is a bit poor but hey ho.

I use 1/125 no need for 1/250

I use 1/125 no need for 1/250

I suppose it depends how fast they may move, maybe not the head but hands and arms maybe plus I usually like to keep the shutter speed well above 1/focal length. Yesterday there was quite a bit of wind too and some pictures showed movement in the foliage at 1/250. A little bit of blur in pictures can be a nice touch though but sometimes I do find it distracting.

At a push, yeah, for weddings. Not so hot for 3 year olds [emoji6]

Taking a couple of snaps of a 3 year old running around isn’t what I would consider to be a portrait.

I suppose it depends how fast they may move, maybe not the head but hands and arms maybe plus I usually like to keep the shutter speed well above 1/focal length. Yesterday there was quite a bit of wind too and some pictures showed movement in the foliage at 1/250. A little bit of blur in pictures can be a nice touch though but sometimes I do find it distracting.

For portraits I use an 85mm lens so 1/125 is well above the reciprocal rule.

Taking a couple of snaps of a 3 year old running around isn’t what I would consider to be a portrait.

Unless you’re using a 200mm FL.

Very much dependent on what you shoot and how. I tend to shoot a mix of static and moving and so with the way today’s cameras handle high iso, that extra stop isn’t always needed. But if it is, then it’s on the quick menu. More often than not, I prefer a quick setup where you’re ready for most things.

Well yes but for a portrait the main issue may be camera movement but for a more natural casual walkabout people picture and the like the subject is more likely to move or be moving rather than a sit / stand there while I tske your picture portrait.

Sam Hurd just IG'd the EOS R is the best camera that he has ever used. Canon must be paying these people

Also watching that/them Peter McKinnon videos was cringeworthy

Last edited by a moderator:
Miserable weather out today which is typical of the first weekend to give this toy a good workout. So a bit of silliness at home. Must say, the first pic is a quick example of a picture just not possible previously, the AF is awesome! It actually puts the AUTO into auto focus!

Might just be early days, but initial thoughts are that the files aren't so clean as the 750's from base iso to around 1000 iso? They are very good at the upper end,

43766102340_f6c4893ffd_b.jpg

She's actually got dad's rocket blower lol

30642488737_2465aa050e_b.jpg

43768345160_ec63a8f576_b.jpg

Last edited:
Miserable weather out today which is typical of the first weekend to give this toy a good workout. So a bit of silliness at home. Must say, the first pic is a quick example of a picture just not possible previously, the AF is awesome! It actually puts the AUTO into auto focus!

Might just be early days, but initial thoughts are that the files aren't so clean as the 750's from base iso to around 1000 iso? They are very good at the upper end...

Lovely pictures and glad you're happy :D

I think high ISO performance has been pretty good for a while now and for whole pictures viewed normally I just don't worry now even though I only have a first generation A7 and a couple of MFT cameras. Actually my 1" compact is ok for whole pictures at any ISO too.

PS.
We had a lot of rain in the night and this morning but what a change in the afternoon and some lovely light too for a while.

Last edited:
Back