The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Have a think about all the things that might make someone a better photographer. Clue. It’s rarely kit and usually practice, education, practice and more practice.

Then have a think about why a professional photographer might buy new kit. Clue. Stuff that gets used a lot needs replacing and when that time comes you assess what’s the best in the market for your budget and use cases. In no way whatsoever did I think for a minute that changing a D750 for an A9 would magically make me a better photographer.

For someone who dislikes Sony as much as you you do spend a lot of time trawling this thread.

Have a think about all the things that might make someone a better photographer. Clue. It’s rarely kit and usually practice, education, practice and more practice.

Then have a think about why a professional photographer might buy new kit. Clue. Stuff that gets used a lot needs replacing and when that time comes you assess what’s the best in the market for your budget and use cases. In no way whatsoever did I think for a minute that changing a D750 for an A9 would magically make me a better photographer.

For someone who dislikes Sony as much as you you do spend a lot of time trawling this thread.

That's a narrow view though and just doesn't track. If it was as simple as you say camera technology would have stagnated, but it hasn't as new features and performance standards do help people to improve their photography. Yes technique etc. is important but so is having the correct tools in the first place. Simply enjoying using the gear you have is also a factor.

It’s was a specific response to the suggestion that I’d only bought a camera because it would make me a better photographer.

You could hand me a D5 and a 400mm today and I’d still be a crap sports photographer. I’d have the kit but I wouldn’t have the experience, knowledge and practice to know what I needed to do and where.

There’s a significant distance between having kit and having the ability to execute. You can’t buy that distance. You have to put the hard yards in to close it.

It’s was a specific response to the suggestion that I’d only bought a camera because it would make me a better photographer.

You could hand me a D5 and a 400mm today and I’d still be a crap sports photographer. I’d have the kit but I wouldn’t have the experience, knowledge and practice to know what I needed to do and where.

There’s a significant distance between having kit and having the ability to execute. You can’t buy that distance. You have to put the hard yards in to close it.

All the gear and no idea, I resemble that comment... :D

Seriously though, way back when I had a 500D and a cheap Tamron 70-300 I (obviously) really struggled with sports. A simple upgrade to a 7D and 70-200 f2.8 made an instant difference to my results. My technique didn't change, the gear was just more able to deliver the results.

Right.

But then as your kit was no longer a barrier you then were able to focus on technique and practice to get better.

So the kit didn’t make you a better photographer per se, it just removed the barrier you had. The ability was always there.

If I don’t get a shot it’s not my kit that caused it. It’s me.

Right.

But then as your kit was no longer a barrier you then were able to focus on technique and practice to get better.

So the kit didn’t make you a better photographer per se, it just removed the barrier you had. The ability was always there.

If I don’t get a shot it’s not my kit that caused it. It’s me.

Yes but without the better gear I would never have progressed. I don't think you can so easily dismiss the tools that you use, they are a key part of the whole process.

On a serious note though. Remember my response was to Frasier’s ludicrous assertion (dressed up as a question) that buying a Sony was to make me a better photographer and if it didn’t then it makes no sense.

Lots of things would make me a better photographer. Moving from Nikon to Sony aren’t on the list.

That’s the point I was trying to make.

What will happen on Leica forums

Shortcomings will be studiously ignored or justified as being 'authentic'
Talk of unicorn tears and fairy dust being sprinkled on them will be mentioned in hushed tones
Some deeply, deeply average photography will be presented as masterpieces simply because they were shot on a Leica

Everyone else will realise it's rarely about the camera and almost always the person using it, look at the comedy pricing and carry on about their business

This post made my day haha

Some people just don't get the Leica experience but others aspire to own one :)

I can see the appeal but mostly for the lenses but I can still see the attraction for the camera and lens package. I don't want to go back to film or RF's but the digital ones do look nice but this latest one, the M10-D, just seems a bit OTT to me. The three things I'd criticise after a quick look are not being able to format the card, not being able to review pictures and that rewind lever thumb rest.

I can see the appeal in the minimalist approach and if I was going for a Leica I'd be happy to MF with those nice lenses as long as I had the ability to format cards and review shots.

In reality I just can't see myself ever spending that much on camera gear. I know life is short etc and I'm lucky enough to be able to say that I could afford to buy any photo gear I want but these prices just seem a little too much to justify to myself. TBH I'd have as much fun with my A7 and a £50 Rokkor.

Sorry for the confusion earlier but now that you know which one I'm on about would you ever buy one or if going for an electronic one rather than a film one would you too go for one with some basic features like being able to review shots and format the card?

Have a think about all the things that might make someone a better photographer.

Quite ofetn having the best gear for the style of photography makes better photographs or just enjoying using the gear can improve 'your' photography.

Sorry Guy; this does not make sense! I appreciate that cameras wear out when used professionally but as a Pro you surely had some investment in the Nikon system. If you didn't believe a switch to Sony would make your life easier and improve your results then why bother switching - it just doesn't make business sense!

This sumary is exactly correct and matches my views entirely: -

That's a narrow view though and just doesn't track. If it was as simple as you say camera technology would have stagnated, but it hasn't as new features and performance standards do help people to improve their photography. Yes technique etc. is important but so is having the correct tools in the first place. Simply enjoying using the gear you have is also a factor.

Last edited:
..........and you come across as very ignorant - what market research have you carried out to say the new Leica is incredibly dumb?

LOL

Read the comments in that DP review article. What planet are you currently living on Fraser ?

Just a few from today, muddy but sometimes sunny, A7 and that Nippon 50mm f2...

This wont be to everyone's taste, maybe no ones, but I like doing this now and again.

1-DSC01959.jpg

The war memorial.

1-DSC01977.jpg

And one at f2 with the subject big in the frame just for Fraser.

1-DSC01974.jpg

And a crop from that saved at quality 11 rather than 12.

1-DSC01974-c.jpg

Again they look softer here than on my screen but I'm not getting into all that again. They're more than sharp enough :D

Last edited:
Quite ofetn having the best gear for the style of photography makes better photographs or just enjoying using the gear can improve 'your' photography.

Sorry Guy; this does not make sense! I appreciate that cameras wear out when used professionally but as a Pro you surely had some investment in the Nikon system. If you didn't believe a switch to Sony would make your life easier and improve your results then why bother switching - it just doesn't make business sense!

This sumary is exactly correct and matches my views entirely: -

Talk about bait and switch.

Making my life easier is very different to making me a better photographer. So which is it?

My kit needed replacing. I knew I wanted mirrorless for the silence and future-proofing. Nikon offered me nothing there. The investment you speak of is nothing more than confirming the fallacy of sunk costs. The Nikon kit was bought, used, depreciated and untilamtely written off. The total absence of a solid option *for me* from Nikon merely confirmed that the sunk costs should have zero influence on the decision.

As an aside, something that matches your opinion does not necessarily make it correct in fact.

LOL

Read the comments in that DP review article. What planet are you currently living on Fraser ?

Yes - it will appeal to very few, I understand that but Leica is a niche camera maker producing niche products. If I could afford it then it is exactly what I would like in a digital camera and so many others who love film regularly say I would just love a digital sensor in my film camera without all the other electronics. Also appreciate there is a huge amount of jealousy in respect to Leica.

Talk about bait and switch.

Making my life easier is very different to making me a better photographer. So which is it?

My kit needed replacing. I knew I wanted mirrorless for the silence and future-proofing. Nikon offered me nothing there. The investment you speak of is nothing more than confirming the fallacy of sunk costs. The Nikon kit was bought, used, depreciated and untilamtely written off. The total absence of a solid option *for me* from Nikon merely confirmed that the sunk costs should have zero influence on the decision.

As an aside, something that matches your opinion does not necessarily make it correct in fact.

if it makes your job easier and the silent shutter means you can capture shots you couldn't before then it helps you being a better photographer - either that or our definitions are miles apart.

Last edited:
Yes - it will appeal to very few, I understand that but Leica is a niche camera maker producing niche products. If I could afford it then it is exactly what I would like in a digital camera and so many others who love film regularly say I would just love a digital sensor in my film camera without all the other electronics. Also appreciate there is a huge amount of jealousy in respect to Leica.

I wouldn't use a Leica to shoot a wedding ever, period. They ride off Panasonic's digital coat tails and their over priced gear of days gone.

Imagine taking a few hundred pictures on holiday and finding out later that something had gone wrong. We've all done something, leave the camera on ISO 3,200 or forget we've dialled in +2 exposure comp or something or maybe you've got a big fat dust bunny or five.

I may be getting lazy and forgetful too but I do like to review my pictures now and again and I often format the card too.

I can see the appeal of some Leica's but I wouldn't buy that one.

if it makes your job easier and the silent shutter means you can capture shots you couldn't before then it helps you being a better photographer - either that or our definitions are miles apart.

No. It doesn’t. Reducing a barrier to something doesn’t equate to superior results. Cognitive dissonance much?

I’m out.

One final comment, which you neatly ignored earlier. For someone who hates Sony you spend a lot of time in the Sony threads. Bizarre.

Imagine taking a few hundred pictures on holiday and finding out later that something had gone wrong. We've all done something, leave the camera on ISO 3,200 or forget we've dialled in +2 exposure comp or something or maybe you've got a big fat dust bunny or five.

I may be getting lazy and forgetful too but I do like to review my pictures now and again and I often format the card too.

I can see the appeal of some Leica's but I wouldn't buy that one.

Hi Alan,

I completely understand what you are saying and for you it is clearly not the right camera!

................but we all get our kicks from photography in different ways! For me as a predominantly film shooter I love the excitement of returning home not knowing what images I have captured and the excitement of seeing negatives come off the developing spiral is fantastic. I also love cameras to be very simple - modern digital cameras 'p*** me off' with their complexity and auto everything - I like to focus manually etc.

The Leica is a film camera with a digital sensor that removes the hassle of developing film for some (I also enjoy this) and allows certain advantages such as film speed (ISO sensitivity) etc to be changed 'mid roll'.

I have spent a whole day shooting and found I didn't load the film correctly so had nothing - PITA but, hey, what the hell I still had a good day and I don't loose money from it.

I wasn't the one who ever said it would make me a great photographer and the 'great photographs' taken with a Leica are only very average - that was Guy insulting many Leica owners past & present. Using a camera like this for me would be a real pleasure, as I have said I understand it is a niche market but Leica produce niche cameras.

I don't get the blanket 'it's dumb', 'overpriced crap' arguments - for some (me included) I would love it.

I think it is obvious from my other replies; I don't buy the 'it's the person behind the lens' theory - I will never be a great 'creative/artistic' photographer but if I enjoy the equipment I use it does make me a better photographer.

No. It doesn’t. Reducing a barrier to something doesn’t equate to superior results. Cognitive dissonance much?

Getting a shot or not getting the shot - any result is a better photograph than none at all.

One final comment, which you neatly ignored earlier. For someone who hates Sony you spend a lot of time in the Sony threads. Bizarre.

There are numerous people on this thread that have no intention whatsoever of changing their Sony camera for any other make yet they make massive contributions in the Canon/Nikon mirrorless threads - bizarre!

Back